• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's that, as all the major games publishers (apart from maybe Nintendo) use influencers to promote their products, and Keighley himself is no stranger to inviting them to his productions. It's only really the old fashioned types like us who have a visceral hatred towards them, and we're an ever-shrinking market.
Yeah but those are gaming related Influencers, people who are part of the industry. This ia completely an ass pull, but I think the ESA is going for follower account, folks that will have no ties to the industry. That stuff is fine and somewhat unavoidable at a n industry show, but I think the ESA is going to build the show around them. It would be like if Grumpy cat started hosting the AVNs

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3ozk5q2mjcw.jpg

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
- No longer relevant
- Companies have found better ways to communicate with their audiences
- Much better fan-oriented conventions like PAX
- Late to adapt to above changes
- 2019 data leak that exposed a ton of journalists

Plus the non-response about the 2019 data leak.

E3 doesn't become "bad" all of a sudden, if one followed industry news they'll know that its relevance is going weaker every year. I'm going to miss it a lot, though.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
This feels more of a momentous indicator of the decline of E3 than any of the announcements of actual publishers choosing not to attend, and I'm not certain as to why.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Well something big did change the past year, they did reveal a bunch of people's personal info and announced that the next e3 was going to feature celebrity and influencers which to me is the absolute last thing I want to see. It's not like people are turning on e3 just because Sony is skipping or Nintendo hasn't done a live press conference there in yeaes., They've actually done things that merit people disregarding the show.

I'm skipping E3 because Sony is skipping E3. And I honestly think that is the main reason for most people here. I do not believe that a majority of the public stopped supporting E3 for moral reasons or for the data leak. I also think that celebrities and influencers can't fill a Sony sized hole.

I think those are reasons for journalists and companies to turn their back on them, but not the public. It's just that one thing leads to the other.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I also think it's funny this forum loved E3 but all of a sudden E3 isn't good.

did people like E3, as in the ESA and the organization, or did people just like what E3 provided, namely hype and game reveals, which we are increasingly seeing can be provided elsewhere? E3 needed the industry. The industry never needed E3. They were just an outlet, and there's no shortage of outlets.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget this
www.resetera.com

E3 organization leaks data for over 2,000 journalists and analysts [Update: Additional security breaches discovered, see threadmarks]

Before we begin, it is my understanding that this thread was created once several hours ago and wiped from the site. With little transparency, I can only assume this was done in order to reduce the spread of the sensitive information, in the hopes that it would be taken down before it got too...

And their completely trash response to it.
Lol.. RIP E3

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly, this feels like a near-fatal blow.
When one of the premier faces in video game journalism says there just isn't a platform here worth spotlighting....wow.

To be clear, Jeff isn't into hard-hitting journo stuff. He does showcases. And even he can't find a way to showcase things in a meaningful way in today's E3.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
E3 has been dying for years tbh
The second Nintendo pulled out of doing a live press conference and it didn't change anything for Nintendo and their coverage from the event I knew the others would follow suit eventually. It took like 8 years but I think Sony realized after they did that performance to open their last live show and it went over like a wet fart that it's a waste of money and it does nothing to appeal to your average gamer. The show has become a joke with the applauding of everything at the live conferences, people announce games having MTX and Loot box's and the crowd cheers.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Meh.

I definitely noticed a different vibe when he had Sony folks or stuff to talk about vs others. Just my opinion.
Seeing what you want to see. Unless you see Kojima as Sony I suppose. Geoff is always pretty equally excited about everything whenever I watched him, probably because it's part of his job, but seems genuine enough to me.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
did people like E3, as in the ESA and the organization, or did people just like what E3 provided, namely hype and game reveals, which we are increasingly seeing can be provided elsewhere? E3 needed the industry. The industry never needed E3. They were just an outlet, and there's no shortage of outlets.

E3 was an excuse for everyone in the gaming industry to show up and give a press conference. If everyone decides to dump E3 and meet up once a year and give a press conference then E3 is irrelevant

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft + 3rd party studios making announcements will be just fine at E3.

Will I miss Sony and the Coliseum? Sure, but not a deal breaker. Yes, there's other ways to present announcements and E3 isn't really needed. However, it's nice looking forward to a month full of gaming announcements instead of just randomly waiting until things drop.

I hope they make improvements and do better.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
With no E3, at least when Sony having nothing new to show again if won't be noticed. :)

In all seriousness though, I really like the big build up to platform holders doing a blow out around June. I don't really care if it's E3 or if Xbox/Sony etc do their own shows around the same time.

But it'd be a bit rubbish if Sony/Xbox do go their own way and, for example, Sony just go with an event in April and Xbox in June (on top of PSX/XO).

Sony/MS need to remember though that other publishers benefit from the Halo effect of the big boys' presence. Sony etc pulling out kills off a big event that many smaller companies still need to promote themselves. Getting everyone in one place together at the same time benefits everyone.

Geoff pulling out does mean fewer eyes on those smaller devs at a time when they could benefit from it.

Alternatively, it could be the kicking they need to really update the event or kill it off and let someone else have a crack at it.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm skipping E3 because Sony is skipping E3. And I honestly think that is the main reason for most people here. I do not believe that a majority of the public stopped supporting E3 for moral reasons or for the data leak. I also think that celebrities and influencers can't fill a Sony sized hole.

I think those are reasons for journalists and companies to turn their back on them, but not the public. It's just that one thing leads to the other.
The public never cares about industry events like this period. It's only enthusiasts who tune into e3 to begin with.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people not want E3? I don't understand. This is sad news. E3 with all the drama, press conferences etc. is pretty much the highlight of the year all things gaming. I don't understand why people in a place like this, where most are hardcore gamers, are applauding this.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft + 3rd party studios making announcements will be just fine at E3.

Will I miss Sony and the Coliseum? Sure, but not a deal breaker. Yes, there's other ways to present announcements and E3 isn't really needed. However, it's nice looking forward to a month full of gaming announcements instead of just randomly waiting until things drop.

I hope they make improvements and do better.

Me too. I like the fact MS recognise that being there, or at least showcasing stuff at that time, is sort of a responsibility.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't care about what personalities are present at E3. Just show me the games/announcements and that's really all I care about. I don't watch any of the ancillary stuff so this doesn't affect my interest at all.

If E3 has to be stripped down to the bare bones, so be it.. but it is important for such an event to continue to happen.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Platform warring. Community generalizations.
Why do people not want E3? I don't understand. This is sad news. E3 with all the drama, press conferences etc. is pretty much the highlight of the year all things gaming. I don't understand why people in a place like this, where most are hardcore gamers, are applauding this.

Because Sony pulled out of it, if they had shown up this year you can guarantee it they would all be looking forward to it.