• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
E3 has been dying for me since 2017. The conferences were just weak or ore of the same from previous E3s, so I have no problem with it ending. It use to be exciting, then it was exciting leading to massive disappointment. It just never is nearly as good as it once was now.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Why do people not want E3? I don't understand. This is sad news. E3 with all the drama, press conferences etc. is pretty much the highlight of the year all things gaming. I don't understand why people in a place like this, where most are hardcore gamers, are applauding this.

Because the world is evolving. E3 worked in the past because everything wasn't connected like it is today.

Nintendo, at any moment, can drop a direct, show off BOTW2 (for example) and not have to go through setting up a stage, get a bunch of people to sit in an auditorium, pay the money required to do all of that, and end up with the same result. Sony can do the same with a PS5 announcement.

There use to be no way for these companies to reach their audiences. E3 news was always a month behind in the magazine era, then the news got quicker as the internet gained popularity, then G4 came along and gave a way to broadcast the conferences on TV, then video streaming came along to expand the TV reach.

Now companies can take video streaming and directly reach their audiences through the multiple ways to stream video (Youtube, Twitch, etc). They don't need the E3 middleman anymore.

The ESA has been slow to react, combined with how they handled the data leak last year. The audiences are just full of people who work for that respective company (which is why you get the annoying screaming and yelling after every announcement).

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I find it absolutely mind blowing how everyone here is a gaming consumer yet I'm seeing people saying things like "good bye e3" or good e3 has to go etc. why exactly are you guys happy that we are losing one of the biggest gaming shows of the entire year. We are all consumers you guys have to stop acting like we are billion dollar investors. E3 was an incredible show it severely sucks that all this is happening. We aren't just going to now randomly get new shows to make up for the loss of E3, especially at the scale that e3 was.

some people may not think E3 has been an "incredible show" for a while now. E3 was also not the only way, especially not nowadays, for consumers to be informed. Even when it was at its height, we were still at the whim of whatever these companies deemed us worthy to see. That hasn't changed. It's not like companies were ever obligated to show us a specific amount of content every E3. This is not some anti-consumer issue.

I'm all for getting hyped and seeing new games. E3 is not the only way for that to happen.

As far as the reactions, some of that might be based on how poorly the ESA handled the data leak. That's not gonna garner them a whole lot of sympathy.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
I mean it makes sense, he is trying to make the Game awards have the spectacle, exclusives and vibe of ''old E3'' basically he would not be doing himself or the game awards any favors contributing to E3. If E3 becomes completely irrelevant or disappears all together TGA's stand to gain the most right? Not trying to say that this is a bad thing he's doing or anything but seems pretty logical

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
jack-tretton-mic-drop.gif

some say the Mic is still floating in the air to this day!

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I don't blame him, the influencer gathering thing sounds like hell.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird to think that E3 is really dying, it was something I got hyped for every year since I was a kid, since before internet, waiting for the magazines to drop after E3 with all the news and how I kept getting hyped for it each year and how it's now not even a thing anymore for me is really strange.

Yeah this sucks ;(

I even bought a fing VHS tape at a game store to see some animated footage of the show!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it makes sense, he is trying to make the Game awards have the spectacle, exclusives and vibe of ''old E3'' basically he would not be doing himself or the game awards any favors contributing to E3. If E3 becomes completely irrelevant or disappears all together TGA's stand to gain the most right? Not trying to say that this is a bad thing he's doing or anything but seems pretty logical
He is going to other shows, so it isn't like he is doing this for TGAs.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I like having a special hypest week of the year to look forward too. I'va had a lot of cool memories of watching Sony conference at 3/4 am with friends. If the Pope is out, I feel like it's over, the event will just decay and be a shadow of it's former self in a couple of years top.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
Haven't seen this guy once in the last 5 years of me going to E3. Changes nothing for me personally. So many games and companies and people there. Nintendo and Xbox will be awesome like last year.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why e3 is dying after doing so well for reveals all these years, is it because of the cost?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There is a way forward that seems obvious to a layman like me but I have little faith that the ESA will ever go through with it.

As is, from where I'm sitting, I'm fine with everything being directs from here on out.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Losing Geoff and Sony (and Nintendo not being there) in the same year is going to be like hosting a Super Bowl with one team playing themselves. With no announcers.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
E3 has been an exciting time of year for me for the past 10 years I've been able to watch it. I'm sad to see its decline.
When the plans leaked to turn it into an "influencer festival" (where grown men take recordings in the toilets), it put the writing on the wall on how the end is upon it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Games journalists will not quit e3 as long as it has a show floor and industry people attending,
It's pretty much the entire point of the shows existence and if the show exists all websites will attend until they declare the show doesn't in fact exist

jeff sort of hinted on a recent Bombcast or UPF that the after show stuff makes it worth it for them, and as long as a lot of industry folk convening in the same spot makes that possible they'll keep doing it. But the vibe I've gotten is that the actual show floor has become pretty worthless for people like Giant Bomb.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
User banned(1 day): Console Warring, and inflammatory generalizations about the community
Seems like....Sony doesn't like E3, which has to mean Geoff doesn't like E3, to now obviously Resetera doesn't like E3.....

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why people are saying Nintendo are out:

All three of the major game companies — Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft's Xbox — are members of the ESA. (Xbox head Phil Spencer and Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser both sit on the organization's board.) In the wake of Sony eschewing E3, both of its competitors have voiced support for the convention — without namedropping Sony.

"We look forward to participating in E3 2020. It is one of many ideal venues for us this year to interact with people in a social and immersive environment," Bowser tells THR in an emailed statement. "Every year, we base our approach to E3 on the content we have to share."

Unless this has changed they will be there.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be my guess. Summer PSX.
He's probably going to host a Sony event.
See you on the PS5 event Geoff!

I have no doubt Keighley has a role at the PS event that'll happen around that time. As a forum we focus a lot on the spec aspect and don't seem to recognize the bevy of content PS5 is either marketing or have first release rights on.

Call Of Duty 2020 - Next gen PS5 showcase is an event in and of itself. Not to mention the egregious amount of content I have no doubt acti has already carved out of the game and has already given to PS. Do the same with Fifa 21 and you've got an hour of content right there.

The PS E3-esq showcase is going to be of mega proportions.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
jeff sort of hinted on a recent Bombcast or UPF that the after show stuff makes it worth it for them, and as long as a lot of industry folk convening in the same spot makes that possible they'll keep doing it. But the vibe I've gotten is that the actual show floor has become pretty worthless for people like Giant Bomb.
Yup same feeling here, I believe this is entirely based on the congregation of the industry execs and the interviews for the outlets pretty much, afaik the sites I like to follow (EA and GB) really only go to appointments at this point as opposed to roam the floors

Understandable considering I myself would want nothing to do with the general public that now has access to the event and the crowds it brings

Esa wants this event to be professional and public, that doesn't exactly work in tandem when reality comes knocking, when the floor was mainly and entirely influencers and media I've heard those were the golden ages

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I don't get why e3 is dying after doing so well for reveals all these years, is it because of the cost?

Because you don't need an elaborate staged conference to do reveals anymore.

It isn't 2005 anymore. Damn near everyone has a connected mobile device. You can drop a trailer for a new game on your Youtube channel and have it reach your audience pretty much instantly.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I imagine Giantbomb will be following suit

I doubt Giant Bomb will stop going until a lot more industry professionals announce they're skipping it as well. Many gaming sites (including GB) have talked about how E3 consistently brings in the most traffic every year. You don't walk away from that until you absolutely have to. GB can talk over streams or conferences anywhere, but the E3 at Night stuff can only be done there.