• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. Beneath the showiness and spectacle, E3's always been a vehicle for the publishers and investors to monitor the state of the industry and make plans accordingly. If anything, developers will benefit from not having to have X demo/presentation/trailer/etc. ready by Y date - something they've already been seriously struggling with in recent years. E3 2019 was almost completely a showcase for games coming out in 2020 or later; very few actual cool surprises for the consumer.

This is the kind of shit that leads to the downgrade debacles we've had.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
If E3 wants to survive it needs to match the likes of Gamescom and Tokyo Games Show. Downsize into a smaller, tighter convention with maybe 1 trade day and a couple of public facing days. You'd then have 3 similar events on three continents spaced throughout the year. With the big 3 now releasing their own online videos to market to their fans, the show has lost its place as the big blow out event. Nintendo Directs are hugely popular, Inside Xbox I've found to be pretty smart, and while I still think State of Play is not quite there and still needs more time to develop, it's definitely the format to take forward for them. E3 and the like however can be good events for giving smaller devs who maybe don't have the social reach or resources to have a platform to market their games to a wide audience.

E3 is more important, but is not even the biggest by numbers.

E3 2019:
720,000 spuare feet
66,100 Attendance
3 days
13,131,431 population (metropolitan area)

Gamescom 2019:
2,346,532 square feet
373,000 Attendance
3 days
10,000,000 population (metropolitan area)

So i don't see how E3 should downsize to match gamescom.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh? That wasn't the intention of that at all. (Unless we're talking about E3 itself, which has unequivocally been a downgrade year over year recently.)

I mean having the devs create something to hype the game for E3, sometimes the demos arent even part of the full game, its just to showcase what they have so far. Can lead to what happened to Watchdogs. Im agreeing with you that it hurts the devs and can even hurt the game's appeal in the end.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
E3 is more important, but is not even the biggest by numbers.

E3 2019:
720,000 spuare feet
66,100 Attendance
3 days
13,131,431 population (metropolitan area)

Gamescom 2019:
2,346,532 square feet
373,000 Attendance
3 days
10,000,000 population (metropolitan area)

So i don't see how E3 should downsize to match gamescom.
I think, despite all of our listed suggestions, what they need to do is talk with publishers and game devs and figure out what they need for them all to show up and make presentations. It may be that nothing will convince them, but I don't think that's the case. If it's making it more like a trade show, do that. If it's making it more like a crazy fan show, do that

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I think, despite all of our listed suggestions, what they need to do is talk with publishers and game devs and figure out what they need for them all to show up and make presentations. It may be that nothing will convince them, but I don't think that's the case. If it's making it more like a trade show, do that. If it's making it more like a crazy fan show, do that

Ok, i got you.
Gamescom is really more like a festival.
Maybe it is right for E3 more to be like a trade show, on a smaller base, because the professionals are even in the "neighborhood".

But i also think the festival route makes sense, it is some kind of advertising for games, i don't think that going to a festival, even for games, is something from yesterdays times.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Can someone make some good GIF which shows that E3 is dead or dying? I'm not good at making one myself, but if someone could make the one we could use for years.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That tweet from Geoff is really ominous. As someone who's presented the customer facing parts of the show (at least in the mainstream, the E3 colosseum is normally front page on YouTube) to turn round and say "I don't feel comfortable with what I know about the show"? Man...

Anyway. I've been privileged enough to go to E3 and Gamescom several times. Gamescom is by far the better event, even though it's fucking enormous. E3 feels like it's been coasting on its name recognition alone for the past couple of years, and with them opening it up to the public and all the surrounding fuck ups, it's not good.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
E3 is pretty much an Xbox celebration at this point.

It barely is though. MS holds their own event in their own theater and, while they will probably have some small Mixer floor presence again, they are really not taking up a huge amount of floor space like they used to.

The ESA needs all of these publishers and manufacturers more than they need the ESA. The ESA has been ineffective in terms of protecting the interests of the video game industry (and by that I mean the shareholders in these companies), against legislation (see stories like this https://kotaku.com/u-s-senator-introduces-bill-to-ban-loot-boxes-and-pay-1834612226 ), unionization (https://www.latimes.com/business/te...paign-to-organize-video-game-and-tech-workers ), and other regulations/business practices that might cut into their profits. No one at Sony or Activision is going to speak and up say "We're not happy with how you're letting these unions try to interfere with our businesses", but you know those conversations are happening behind closed doors.

Sony, Activision, MS, and EA have no problem spending millions on advertising and trade shows. It's part of the business. They just don't want to support the ESA because they don't feel like the ESA is pushing hard enough against these things that are going to cut into their bottom line and they are expressing their displeasure by not contributing to, what has been, a cash cow for the ESA.

That's my take anyway. I don't think they're happy with the direction the ESA is going in. I'd love to hear what someone like jschreier, with a bit more industry insight and knowledge, might be able to chime in with about this.

Believe me I'm not saying I'm anti-union, or anti-lootbox legislation, but these companies sure as hell are and if the ESA isn't going to be a strong voice for them on these issues, then I don't see them continuing to support the ESA. What was the last big lobbying effort the ESA did that truly had long lasting benefits for the video game industry? I know they fought hard to not have mature video games regulated by the goverment in favor of setting up the ESRB, but since then, have they really been effective at all in protecting or promoting these companies interests? I know they have some hand in reducing copyright infringement, but is it worth it for companies the size of EA to pay an association like the ESA to do that on their behalf? Wouldn't it make more sense to just hire a lawyer and that's his job?

Also, none of this really explains why Keighley doesn't want to go this year.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't watch Geoff's show in the past 2 E3 but this is certainly a big blow. Is Giant Bomb still going to E3?

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
I must be the minority here, but this has no effect on my viewing of the event. /shrug Now when Adam Sessler stopped, that got me.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I have no interest in what he does and there is still going to be lots of new shit shown so it's no loss to me at all.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Surely Geoff must have the channels to ask the ESA about E3 info beyond what is known to the public and get answers. It would be baffling to me if there wasn't any communication or they haven't made attempts to give him reassurances.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I was just thinking too, there appears to be differing opinions across all developers as to what they want e3 to be.

what's different now (not news) is that people have access to more avenues to disseminate their announcements. What i personally JUST thought about is that those discussions are probably MUCH more heated because publishers have a LOT more leverage. Square Enix can say, yeah dude, make it a consumer event, we will just show final fantasy 7 remake on a random Tuesday with avengers. Sony can be like lol SpiderMan2 will be announced by a robot text to speech woman on a random Monday if you don't make it consumer focused. So basically e3 is sinking and they don't know how to correct it because each publisher wants something different. They can only patch up so many holes before their resources run dry (sea of thieves reference)

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
He has the E3 Coliseum and the Youtube Live at E3. It was on his GTTV post show where Wonderful 101 was unveiled at E3 2012.
Yeah on 2/12/20 I learned about the E3 Colisieum. Had zero clue

I imagine the majority of casual video game enthusiast (yes we exist) only watch the big 3 and that's it.

I really only associate him with the game awards

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I couldn't care less, but everyone is so upset, was he that big at e3? I think I never watched him on there. I just want to see the trailers and gameplay don't care at all about who presents it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This has probably already been brought up, but this feels more impactful than Sony skipping E3 to me.

Like, in some weird way I could see why Sony would skip E3... I guess., but for Mr. Keighley to say " I just don't feel comfortable participating" is a big ol' red flag for me.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
That's a bummer!

As long as GB are still there I'll still be in. They're nite shows are my favorite part of E3.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
in 4 months? there is no need for it. e3 might implode this year, so 2021 would leave room for something fresh.
but lets face it: e3 is no longer needed.
Oh I meant in the future. Sony is probably bringing a war chest of announcements and hype to their own show and Microsoft is gonna be the only worthwhile conference at E3.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of annoying that he won't elaborate at all on why he's dropping the show completely. That said, I never really watched his coverage anyway.....it always felt like he was straining to fill airtime.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Only watch E3 for the trailers so don't really care if he isn't attending.

Curious to know how E3 fucked it all up though?

Must be some juicy behind the scenes stuff.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XBOX should drop out as well. They have their own venue anyway, and the press conference is separated from E3 also. The only thing related to E3 they do is the timing.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I must be the minority here, but this has no effect on my viewing of the event. /shrug Now when Adam Sessler stopped, that got me.
This is not about how it impacts viewers, this is about how E3 is transforming and the impact it's having on it no longer being the show we've known for years. Geoff claiming he doesn't feel comfortable with what he knows and refusing to attend (not just refraining from hosting) is very telling.
Someone on the first page made the same comment as yours and I simply don't get what the point was/is.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I always end up watching the trailers and they never look like the final product or are years away. I will miss the fun times and hype of e3 fuckery but I won't be too bothered if it died off.