• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Maybe i'm ignorant, but Geoff Keighley was a very small part of E3 for me. His Coliseum shows were good, but they didn't define the week - i'd watch them later after digesting the real news. As far as I know, the PC show is still happening, and Xbox will be there on June 13th. There will be lots of news and probably a proper console reveal. So Geoff already had his console reveal at TGAs, he probably feels as though he has an 'out'.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
My first E3 was 2005, all that definitely inspired and pushed me into game development. Being able to show off my game on a big stage and then experiencing the energy from the show was always a huge draw. It's really devastating to me to lose this thing that I knew for most of my life. I really hope Geoff is the savior and brings back some of the spectacle that made games feel special...

I know for a lot of gamers here the direct style is preferred, but I hope you understand what this sort of show does for team moral and confidence in your projects. It is definitely a blow losing some of that luster!

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to romanticize it too much, but it's tragic to see E3 implode into this festering shell of itself (by its own hand primarily).

For the better part of three decades I've dreamed of one day getting the chance to go. I couldn't help but fantasize about sitting in the pressers and walking the floor at its peak. I would go to the Sony E3 Experience thing in theaters every year, desperate for even the smallest semblance of that energy. Even if the reality of attending was miserable and I hated every second, I still wanted to one day say I went. But, clearly, that E3 is already dead.

It's a shame, but... what can you do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is not about how it impacts viewers, this is about how E3 is transforming and the impact it's having on it no longer being the show we've known for years. Geoff claiming he doesn't feel comfortable with what he knows and refusing to attend (not just refraining from hosting) is very telling.
Someone on the first page made the same comment as yours and I simply don't get what the point was/is.
Exactly. The desire to tell people how something won't affect you personally gets old.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully E3 rebounds and becomes as big as it was one day, or we get big, separate events for Sony, Ninty and Xbox that make up for it.

Lokoline

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The past 2 E3s were very boring, I guess it's really dead for me now.

No reason to get hyped anymore, kinda sad. :/

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Sad no one cares about crowd reactions anymore, and prefer digital presentations with no crowds. Reading tweets or post only gets so exciting. But nothing beats a crowd going apeshit.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It barely is though. MS holds their own event in their own theater and, while they will probably have some small Mixer floor presence again, they are really not taking up a huge amount of floor space like they used to.

The ESA needs all of these publishers and manufacturers more than they need the ESA. The ESA has been ineffective in terms of protecting the interests of the video game industry (and by that I mean the shareholders in these companies), against legislation (see stories like this https://kotaku.com/u-s-senator-introduces-bill-to-ban-loot-boxes-and-pay-1834612226 ), unionization (https://www.latimes.com/business/te...paign-to-organize-video-game-and-tech-workers ), and other regulations/business practices that might cut into their profits. No one at Sony or Activision is going to speak and up say "We're not happy with how you're letting these unions try to interfere with our businesses", but you know those conversations are happening behind closed doors.

Sony, Activision, MS, and EA have no problem spending millions on advertising and trade shows. It's part of the business. They just don't want to support the ESA because they don't feel like the ESA is pushing hard enough against these things that are going to cut into their bottom line and they are expressing their displeasure by not contributing to, what has been, a cash cow for the ESA.

That's my take anyway. I don't think they're happy with the direction the ESA is going in. I'd love to hear what someone like jschreier, with a bit more industry insight and knowledge, might be able to chime in with about this.

Believe me I'm not saying I'm anti-union, or anti-lootbox legislation, but these companies sure as hell are and if the ESA isn't going to be a strong voice for them on these issues, then I don't see them continuing to support the ESA. What was the last big lobbying effort the ESA did that truly had long lasting benefits for the video game industry? I know they fought hard to not have mature video games regulated by the goverment in favor of setting up the ESRB, but since then, have they really been effective at all in protecting or promoting these companies interests? I know they have some hand in reducing copyright infringement, but is it worth it for companies the size of EA to pay an association like the ESA to do that on their behalf? Wouldn't it make more sense to just hire a lawyer and that's his job?

Also, none of this really explains why Keighley doesn't want to go this year.
The thing is, Sony DOES have a problem with spending millions on a trade show because they already host their own one, Destination PlayStation (which third parties like Activision and EA also attend), much earlier in the year when it's apparently more beneficial to sell games and their plans to retailers. Sony have been publicly down on how E3 has turned into this trade, media and public show mess and have apparently been pushing for it to follow Gamescom's lead but there are other publishers who want it to stay a trade show so the ESA are trying to serve a lot of different interests and, I guess, lack the leadership to just pick one. And when you remember the ESA's idiotic plans for E3 from the leak last year (celebrities, etc) then I really do think Sony just doesn't see the benefit of spending so much time, money and energy on it when hosting their own show would probably be far more effective.

You're right that the ESA have been useless when it comes to protecting the interests of the industry but I don't really agree with your take on it. They did absolutely fuck up the lootbox issue, particularly because there was no attempt to sound reasonable or try to compromise (like the industry had previously done with the ESRB), they simply planted their flag and declared that lootboxes weren't gambling. It was never going to work but I'm sure publishers were pushing them to have that stance in spite of the overwhelming negativity towards lootboxes from the public and politicians. And I don't really see what the unionisation efforts have to do with the ESA because that really isn't their area of expertise. What are they going to do, lobby the US government to make the unions leave them alone? So I don't really think either of these issues were the "real" reason why Sony (and others) pulled out of E3.

As for Keighley, my guess is he's uncomfortable with the way the ESA doxxed hundreds of journalists last year and did absolutely nothing to make up for it. And with E3's struggles (Sony pulling out, poor attendance last year, ESA's idiotic plans, etc) he sees the writing on the wall and doesn't think he needs to put up with their bullshit anymore.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see what kind of shitshow E3 has in store for us.
The meltdown is going to be beautiful....

Oct 31, 2017
Sad no one cares about crowd reactions anymore, and prefer digital presentations with no crowds. Reading tweets or post only gets so exciting. But nothing beats a crowd going apeshit.
I just want to watch the East Allies react live on stream. Feels like I'm in a room of my gaming pals and reacting along. Plus there's no dumb company mouthpiece talking in out of touch corporate speak or random people in the crowds shouting nonsense disconnected from what's happening on stage. This is just personal preference, but I enjoy the tightness of a direct with trailer after trailer instead of EA or Ubisoft wheeling out some dev working on a new title and having them tell their life story on stage before showing a 90 second trailer.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe i'm ignorant, but Geoff Keighley was a very small part of E3 for me. His Coliseum shows were good, but they didn't define the week - i'd watch them later after digesting the real news. As far as I know, the PC show is still happening, and Xbox will be there on June 13th. There will be lots of news and probably a proper console reveal. So Geoff already had his console reveal at TGAs, he probably feels as though he has an 'out'.
He ran judge's week which is a pretty big deal (the press being able to play a lot of what is going to be revealed / some stuff that isn't behind closed doors the month before). It was the only way a lot of them found current E3 bearable.

Last edited:

Dboss2289

Oct 11, 2018
It'll never happen, but wouldn't it be cool if the major companies we loved seeing at E3 coordinated having their own Directs one after another at a set point in the year? Everything independently managed and produced, but they could figure out a schedule so we get our Gaming Christmas without the ESA?

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
This doesn't really sway me one way or another in terms of watching E3 since my interest had already started to diminish due to Nintendo/Sony not really caring about it, the PC show usually being boring and me having no interest in anything Xbox.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
For me this is a bigger blow than Sony stepping out, in terms of my overall experience of the event. Keighley was always someone who was part of the E3 package, you could just open a stream and watch the guy interview developers and producers. He had great working relationships with lots of high level staff and an umatched level of professionalism in approaching game coverage.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Sad to see Keighley leave but for me as long as Microsoft is there to provide an awesome show, E3 is a must see live event for me. They always bring the energy that can't be matched.

Jarsonot

Oct 27, 2017
E3 for me wasn't so much about the event, it was just the time of year when new things were announced or presented.

It's fun to get so much in such a short period of time. I think this year will still deliver new announcements, but maybe the expo is on it's last legs.

Companies will still announce their product somehow, so we'll still get that, but if it gets more dispersed throughout the year I will miss the days of fanfare.

Don't really care about this guy not going, exceptfor it being a (possible) indicator of the expo dying off.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I'm just popping in to say that if E3 ever goes away, I'm definitely going to miss it. Definitely one of the most exciting parts of the year for me. It's kinda disheartening to see some people being so dismissive of its possible disappearance.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
Since E3 is pretty much dead at this point, I hope something similar will replace it because getting hyped for new stuff is one of the best things about being a gamer.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to romanticize it too much, but it's tragic to see E3 implode into this festering shell of itself (by its own hand primarily).

For the better part of three decades I've dreamed of one day getting the chance to go. I couldn't help but fantasize about sitting in the pressers and walking the floor at its peak. I would go to the Sony E3 Experience thing in theaters every year, desperate for even the smallest semblance of that energy. Even if the reality of attending was miserable and I hated every second, I still wanted to one day say I went. But, clearly, that E3 is already dead.

It's a shame, but... what can you do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I went a few times between 1997 and 2002. It was the only place I could meet Peter Molyneux pitching his latest game, or stumble upon a small table with a lone Bungie dev pitching the latest Marathon title, and in the next hall see famous skateboarders and BMX riders doing tricks on a huge half pipe. E3 at its best had both spectacle and a humble indie bent. Maybe the industry has just changed too much since then, but the new ways studios are trying to showcase games don't feel exciting to me.

soul

Oct 27, 2017

Yup. I've been following it for years, waking up at about 2-3AM to see the live conference here in Europe. It's become somewhat of a tradition, and it's really sad to see it go.

Some of the best time I had was following the live threads and the megaton reactions in the older forum.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to watch the East Allies react live on stream. Feels like I'm in a room of my gaming pals and reacting along. Plus there's no dumb company mouthpiece talking in out of touch corporate speak or random people in the crowds shouting nonsense disconnected from what's happening on stage. This is just personal preference, but I enjoy the tightness of a direct with trailer after trailer instead of EA or Ubisoft wheeling out some dev working on a new title and having them tell their life story on stage before showing a 90 second trailer.
I definitely think directs are a good format. I just like both. I watch easy allies react after the conference.