• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Geoff explains the reasoning for his decision more clearly in the future. I look at him as an honest person. It's like Santa Clause saying "Hey, I'm not delivering presents for Christmas this year. Why? Many reasons."

Need to know more.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder who they will get to replace Keighley since when they hire Keighley to do this, he brings in his own crew. Replacing Keighley also means replacing the crew.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
XBOX should drop out as well. They have their own venue anyway, and the press conference is separated from E3 also. The only thing related to E3 they do is the timing.
With only Xbox as the main platform holder still doing E3 they become the only place certain publishers like Bamco, Capcom and THQ can put their own stuff on. Many pubs don't have their own conferences but instead work with platform holders to do these reveals and announcements. If only Xbox is left doing E3 then I imagine being able to bolster their show with increased 3rd party games is a huge get for them.

Question is how much does MS continue to value E3 in the long run.

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read all the replies so please don't skewer me, but I can't help but think streaming as a game delivery service could improve E3. Streaming demos during the week or overall time frame of E3 similar to the Steam Demo event recently but streaming as opposed to downloading the games could be something that really changes the industry. Being able to play demos at home for games like Godfall on my ps4 or PC is something I am interested in. Especially as someone who doesn't want to go to E3 but wants to see and play the games.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I haven't read all the replies so please don't skewer me, but I can't help but think streaming as a game delivery service could improve E3. Streaming demos during the week or overall time frame of E3 similar to the Steam Demo event recently but streaming as opposed to downloading the games could be something that really changes the industry. Being able to play demos at home for games like Godfall on my ps4 or PC is something I am interested in. Especially as someone who doesn't want to go to E3 but wants to see and play the games.
Nearly all E3 demos are held together by duct tape and prayers. They are demoed through a critical path that shouldn't fingers crossed crash. They don't want us to play them and get a negative experience of their games.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Keighley confirmed as a Sony exclusive.

E3 coverage is going to be some dirt mall tier stuff this year. Will be interesting.

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
Nearly all E3 demos are held together by duct tape and prayers. They are demoed through a critical path that shouldn't fingers crossed crash. They don't want us to play them and get a negative experience of their games.
I get this. But if a game is playable on the show floor for attendees and that same demo is played by others, what is the difference? I get bugs and stuff but there are people who would have a shitty response to that at E3. Maybe gate it behind a virtual ticket so you weed out people who don't want to experience the thing? I am not sure the correct solution but I took this from all the Keighley coverage today that digital and more expansive interaction is going to be vital to the ongoing successes of E3 and other tradeshows that are industry-focused. Even if it is streaming a live video of a developer demo that's extended, I think some more online interactivity for trade shows would be cool

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Tin foil hat, is it possible there could be a new show on the block? I know Keighley tweeted about getting and exciting phone call recently (yeah I know it could be anything). Just so strange he's not going, he's basically the face of E3. Such a strange new generation this is becoming.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Arrogant Geoff is back /s

In the hindsight this video from 2013 feels kinda funny and a bit sad now.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I feel like I've missed out on some major news regarding E3 and don't understand what is going on.

What exactly is the ESA doing with E3 2020 that has caused Sony and now Keighley to skip the event? What does Keighley mean by E3 needing to "evolve"?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
gotta say, I liked the e3 coliseum especially those in-depth dev interviews. gonna definitely miss that.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah e3 is done isnt it? I hope something else comes to take its place, but i imagine the future of game announcements will be twitter, nintendo directs, state of plays, and inside xbox. I bet they are all cheaper than live events and press conferences as well
Probably good for the environment so that's an easy win

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I've ever seen any E3 content with him in it it, so it's kinda nothing to me.

That, said, I don't blame any journo for skipping E3 after the ESA let all their personal data get out last year

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm gonna miss E3 but Treehouse, Directs, PSX and State of Plays are just better. We get the sane fan reaction in YouTube vids of individuals and watch parties and it's a lot more controlled and personal.

I love trade shows though. Gamescon, TGS and TGA really do seem like a good run up to the year end sales bonanza.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
haha.
I think E3 2022 is going to be held at the back of an ESA exec's car at this point. Maybe a keynote in a camping tent.

This is how I picture it.
3211243-1965746633-briUE.png

OP
OP
Tregard

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I know for a lot of gamers here the direct style is preferred, but I hope you understand what this sort of show does for team moral and confidence in your projects. It is definitely a blow losing some of that luster!

If nothing else, I imagine having a consistent date in the calendar where you can effectively say "Show off game here" helps with planning for development. Directs are good, but given how sporadic they can be, I doubt you can plan with them in mind.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
If nothing else, I imagine having a consistent date in the calendar where you can effectively say "Show off game here" helps with planning for development. Directs are good, but given how sporadic they can be, I doubt you can plan with them in mind.

On the other hand didn't we read that E3 demos really put a strain on the devs by taking them away from actually developing the games?

OP
OP
Tregard

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand didn't we read that E3 demos really put a strain on the devs by taking them away from actually developing the games?

Yeah, this is something to take into account. I would just hope if E3 is going away, that crunch will also disappear, and not just be replaced with crunch for a Direct/State of Play.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is something to take into account. I would just hope if E3 is going away, that crunch will also disappear, and not just be replaced with crunch for a Direct/State of Play.
The can be anytime nature of them would probably help. E3 isn't going to move for your demo, so you need to be ready for it or miss it. Whereas a Direct/SoP can be specifically for when the games ready to be shown, without needing a full year+ of dedicated development time for a (hopefully E3) stage demo at a very specific time. Also no need to worry about doing a live demo (which only really Sony did anyway) so probably less stress overall.

Edit: also the demo's development would be at pretty much the worst time to actually make something that's playable, as nothing would be even close to finished.

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is Nintendo still at E3? I know they don't do a conference, but I thought treehouse was hosted from E3

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
E3 needed this. It doesn't have to gradually decline into irrelevancy but it does need to open its eyes and change for the better. What greater way for them have urgency than a massive decline following their current decisions.

Whether they'll push through on what's making other companies not attend the conference in future E3s will be a sight to see.

In the meantime, we have other conferences that are becoming more and more popular and will have a chance to take E3s place.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Is Nintendo still at E3? I know they don't do a conference, but I thought treehouse was hosted from E3
They've had the largest floor area there consistently for decades. Filled with booths, demos, Treehouse, etc.

People focus way too much on the presentations, the showfloor is what the actual event is about.

However even then, Nin is the only one of the big 3 still there, and is probably the ESA's biggest customer. So if they were to go, itd be a disaster for them.

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
This is not about how it impacts viewers, this is about how E3 is transforming and the impact it's having on it no longer being the show we've known for years. Geoff claiming he doesn't feel comfortable with what he knows and refusing to attend (not just refraining from hosting) is very telling.
Someone on the first page made the same comment as yours and I simply don't get what the point was/is.

The point of the comment was the say that Geoff not being there has no relevance to the event. As I said, I am probably the minority here, but it will happen with or without him.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think E3 will go away. But it sure will change. Apparently influencers became more important than the gaming press and this will shift towards a more audience oriented event similar to Gamescom. I don't even see Geoff as some important part of E3 tbh. He is a cool guy but E3 won't collapse because of him not showing up.