• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I've been living on Mars, in a cave, with my fingers in my ears, can someone explain politely why everyone seems to be jumping ship regarding E3?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The point of the comment was the say that Geoff not being there has no relevance to the event. As I said, I am probably the minority here, but it will happen with or without him.
Except it does have relevance and it shows that there must be something going on when Geoff, someone who lives for this, is not attending after being there for 25 years straight, plus also stating that he's not a fan of what he's heard regarding the event. I get it some people might not like or care about him or whatever, but look past that and realize why it's important and, as I said, has a lot of relevance to the event.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It really isn't a big deal. Sony not showing is. This guy? No. It'll be a big deal when publishers start staying home in mass. As it stands Microsoft will eat up the mindshare showing off their titles and 3rd party and Nintendo will do what they always do.

Jimbojim

Jan 10, 2018
I guess I really am out of the loop on this one but can someone explain me why E3 is a bad thing all of a sudden?
E3 Press conferences are the most exciting/hyped moments of the year in the gaming industry(for me), why wouldn't everyone want more of that?

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I never knew he did an E3 show. I expect many are in the same boat as me.

I wonder if Jeff just never said anything and some other bloke took over his role would anyone notice or even care? Seems odd he made the announcement in that fashion. Almost like he was bringing attention to the situation completely unnecessarily

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I'm still excited. Sony dropping out is a big deal and hurts E3, Geoff not attending doesn't affect me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I never knew he did an E3 show. I expect many are in the same boat as me.

I wonder if Jeff just never said anything and some other bloke took over his role would anyone notice or even care? Seems odd he made the announcement in that fashion. Almost like he was bringing attention to the situation completely unnecessarily
A lot do know and he is a big figure in gaming. This is a big deal.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I really am out of the loop on this one but can someone explain me why E3 is a bad thing all of a sudden?
E3 Press conferences are the most exciting/hyped moments of the year in the gaming industry(for me), why wouldn't everyone want more of that?

Im confused also. When did E3 become bad and I never knew Geoff even did E3?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Well Sony has been skipping E3 and now they're shifting it to more of an "influencer" thing.

Also this happened last year which is a big thing.

www.buzzfeednews.com

E3 Accidentally Doxed Over 2,000 Journalists, YouTubers, And Streamers

The phone numbers and addresses were accidentally made public on the E3 Expo's website. The spreadsheet is now being shared across the internet.

Nov 15, 2018
Him not being there will have a 0.1% impact, no offense to him as I'm sure he agrees.

Aside from the bigger developers getting much higher views due to e3 popularity, E3 is a must for smaller developers to have their games seen. If they were to make there own stream, chances are no one would watch aside from whatever hardcore fanbase they already have. New indies would be screwed. Those developers would have to show games during the Big 3 directs and presentations, and at that point how is it any better than just doing it at e3? There is no benefit to closing e3.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Keighley leaving is not a catalyst or some kind of calamity, it's just a sign of the times. Welcome to the final show.

I only ever see people saying people are saying E3 is bad, never the people saying E3 is bad. Is anyone actually saying that?
E3 isn't bad. It's losing momentum, sort of fading away and turning into something different. That's what people think is bad, because we think E3 was good.

The ESA is bad though.

Nov 15, 2018
Keighley leaving is not a catalyst or some kind of calamity, it's just a sign of the times. Welcome to the final show.

I only ever see people saying people are saying E3 is bad, never the people saying E3 is bad. Is anyone actually saying that?
E3 isn't bad. It's losing momentum, sort of fading away and turning into something different. That's what people think is bad, because we think E3 was good.

The ESA is bad though.

And people keep saying E3 is fading away without really providing any reason. The viewership was higher than ever in 2018.

E3 was always about game reveals for the majority of people,aka the consumers. It still provides that, so nothing's changed.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Is this actually important? Do people really care that much about Geoff? I don't personally, E3 was always about games for me.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
The only big gaming convention that I ever attend was TGS back in 2004, 2005 and 2006. How's E3 compares to TGS?

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Is this actually important? Do people really care that much about Geoff? I don't personally, E3 was always about games for me.
I don't care much about what Geoff produces for E3 (not saying I don't like the guy) but when an ongoing relationship as long as that comes to an end, you start to speculate about its implications. Even more so behind the scenes.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
One of the biggest faces that's been at E3 for the last 25 years is no longer attending.

Even if you don't care about Geoff you have to wonder what led to his decision not to participate in E3.
I see and you have a valid point. But as someone who has been following E3 for the past 15 years or so (basically when I got a serious internet connection) I never even followed his show, mainly due to my bad English I admit.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

E3 conferences were never part of E3 in the first place. E3 is the event inside the expo site.
Nobody is loving the doom of E3, but the organizer is terrible and shifting the event to something nor Sony or Geoff care.
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo they could all have their own events and invite third parties, pls remember having an E3 booth was an expense in the millions afaik.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
E3 conferences were never part of E3 in the first place. E3 is the event inside the expo site.
Nobody is loving the doom of E3, but the organizer is terrible and shifting the event to something nor Sony or Geoff care.
Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo they could all have their own events and invite third parties, pls remember having an E3 booth was an expense in the millions afaik.

Right, but it's not like these companies can't afford it.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Funnily enough Nintendo used to hold one, in typical Nintendo fashion, in Japan.
Sony skipping might be explainable by simply them preparing for next gen.
If that's not the reason, this journalist not attending could hint at a rift between Sony and ESA's lead e3.
The fact that this guy is not going is like who gives a fuck, I didn't even know or care that he did that for the last 25 years or decades or whatever.
Considering I'm not attending the event by itself, it was always interesting because of the trailers and announcement and pretty much nothing else.
It's cool and all that journalists and all get to have fun with booze and hookers but that's the part no one in the public was ever going to miss.
Nintendo no longer do anything but Directs and even if e3 dies, they'll probably keep the Directs coming anyway.
It's shit for developpers that it's turning this way though, then again it's easier than ever to get a public reaction from the projects they're working on.
Oh well as long as the trailers are coming in, I don't think I care that much that it lives or dies.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I picture it.
3211243-1965746633-briUE.png

LMAO

I had half the image visible and it looked big or nothing unusual just glancing at it and then scrolled down.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't care, I don't know who he is. I thought E3 was a trade event for games developers and publishers that got loads of attention because that's where we saw new games. Which is what it should be.
I suppose it doesn't help that a lot of games shown are from publishers as they've bought everyone up.
The other game events don't have the same level of interest for me.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Haven't really been following news around E3. Why doesn't anyone want to attend anymore?

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
To me we have some over reaction in this thread but I guess I really could care less if he goes... He certainly feels he is important with that message but whatever... still in it for the games. Sony not being there is a far bigger deal and that seems to be what they are going to do going forward. If many other companies follow then that is what could kill E3.. not this guy.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
User banned (5 days): Platform warring. History of similar behavior.
So now it's just MS showing terrible conferences showing games I can buy on other systems?

Man E3 is dead, good riddance. It hasn't been worthwhile/entertaining for many years now. and lol at Gamer Christmas, ESA is your Santa!

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Right, but it's not like these companies can't afford it.

True, but why pay ESA a lot of money, when you can use the same money and make an event on their own.

Funnily enough Nintendo used to hold one, in typical Nintendo fashion, in Japan.
Sony skipping might be explainable by simply them preparing for next gen.
If that's not the reason, this journalist not attending could hint at a rift between Sony and ESA's lead e3.
The fact that this guy is not going is like who gives a fuck, I didn't even know or care that he did that for the last 25 years or decades or whatever.
Considering I'm not attending the event by itself, it was always interesting because of the trailers and announcement and pretty much nothing else.
It's cool and all that journalists and all get to have fun with booze and hookers but that's the part no one in the public was ever going to miss.
Nintendo no longer do anything but Directs and even if e3 dies, they'll probably keep the Directs coming anyway.
It's shit for developpers that it's turning this way though, then again it's easier than ever to get a public reaction from the projects they're working on.
Oh well as long as the trailers are coming in, I don't think I care that much that it lives or dies.

The problem with E3 is everybody sharing the same spotlight. Trailers all week is also my favorite part of the E3 week, but it seems it makes more sense to make you own separate event now (Directs, state of Play, Xbox experience) than competing with Jaggernauts the same week.

At the end of the day, the thing with Geoff is that he is probably the one person with most connections in the industry, so he not going creates speculation that something else is cooking somewhere. Brandon Jones from easyallies said, Geoff not going to E3 was like santa skipping Christmas and I agree.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't think E3 will go away. But it sure will change. Apparently influencers became more important than the gaming press and this will shift towards a more audience oriented event similar to Gamescom. I don't even see Geoff as some important part of E3 tbh. He is a cool guy but E3 won't collapse because of him not showing up.
Geoff still will be at Gamescom to do a show though :p

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been living on Mars, in a cave, with my fingers in my ears, can someone explain politely why everyone seems to be jumping ship regarding E3?
Even the people who have jumped ship have done an exceedingly poor job of explaining their absence, so it's hard for anyone else to explain.

In Sony's case, it seems to be related to some kind of dispute or disdain that they have for the ESA.

In Keighley's case, it might just be that nobody wants to hire him to cover the show......or that covering it as he does has simply ceased to be profitable.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Back 20 years ago companies would set up in the parking lot across from the convention centre so they could be at E3 without being at E3. Gathering of Developers (GOD Games) made a huge show of it a couple of years in a row.
another thing climate change will kill

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Couldn't care less if Keighley doesn't show up, especially when he has his own show to market and push.

If pubs and devs don't show up, I do. Let's see how much news comes out of E3 this year. I'm sure it'll still be a significant amount.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember the days when I would take 2 days off work to sit at home and watch the coverage. That is certainly long gone.

I hope XBox at least has a good show. They always claim they are having the biggest show ever and then it's always... alright.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Guy who runs his own Awards Show with game reveals doesn't want to cover gaming show with game reveals anymore. It's as simple as that IMO. This is all about him saying "I got mine." and the Sony withdrawal provides cover.

RobotVM

Oct 27, 2017
They have like 50 video game personalities that I am sure want a chance at taking his place.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guy who runs his own Awards Show with game reveals doesn't want to cover gaming show with game reveals anymore. It's as simple as that IMO. This is all about him saying "I got mine." and the Sony withdrawal provides cover.

This would make sense if TGA & E3 were on at the same time or poached reveals from one and other... but they don't.