• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's so obvious, Keighley heard that Kojima doesn't like E3, so he's not going anymore!

DUH!

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
And people keep saying E3 is fading away without really providing any reason. The viewership was higher than ever in 2018.

E3 was always about game reveals for the majority of people,aka the consumers. It still provides that, so nothing's changed.
E3 2019 was a weirdly subdued, empty affair, especially with Sony going AWOL, which is certainly a significant change.
On the showfloor there were energy drink companies where videogames used to be. Can't link specifics (here's one though I guess), but people on location kept talking about how empty it was.

E3 2019 being such a comparative low-key affair is why the ESA is "listening to feedback" and trying to revitalize E3 with whatever changes they're planning, like "experiential zones that delight the senses."

And then the ESA later in 2019 leaking private information of thousands of media members sort of put a cap on the idea that E3 might finally actually be in the process of going dodo. E3 might continue having a presence for years to come, but it won't be what it used to be. It already wasn't last year.

But on some level it will be interesting to see what E3 2020 will be like.
Perhaps E3 2020 could be the new Konami 2010. Can always hope.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018
I'd say e3 2020 will be bigger than 2019 just due to the fact that it's a new gen, while 2019 was lower than 2018 due to being at the end of the gen, and missing playstation. There just wasn't much coming out this past year that wasnt already shown.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
This would make sense if TGA & E3 were on at the same time or poached reveals from one and other... but they don't.
How do you know they don't? A company could easily hold a reveal til the winter specifically knowing they have that show to use to unveil it. He's basically competition for E3 now.

DRPSquirtle64

May 30, 2019
A real shame if E3 actually dies, I would say. I really love the E3 hype when all the major announcements are being made. Spanning announcements throughout the year just won't feel special anymore. I've seen that many people here were referring to how it can be replaced by TGA or Directs/State of Plays. But E3 is not just about conferences. It also is about getting hands-on and playing the new announced games for those who attend. Something that can't be replaced by some online videos and streams. And I'm not even mentioning that TGA is actually way worse than E3 as a show. I was bored watching those awful Stadia and some card game ads every 5 minutes at last TGA which kills the pace of the show. So, if E3 indeed dies, I hope that at least Gamescom will take it's spot. But it would require all the publishers to just refocus their main announcements for Gamescom to keep the charm of such golden week for gaming.

As for Geoff itself, I never watched his E3 colliseum stuff, so it doesn't change anything for me personally. It still sucks that this decision can influence the publishers's will about participating in the event and some might follow Sony and drop it.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Sad to see the ESA destroy E3 to this degree. I never watched his coverage, or particularly care that he won't be there--but its symptomatic of the larger issue that publishers/devs/journos/press don't need this event and are leaving in droves.

E3 at its peak was a great time

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
I hope Geoff explains the reasoning for his decision more clearly in the future. I look at him as an honest person. It's like Santa Clause saying "Hey, I'm not delivering presents for Christmas this year. Why? Many reasons."

Need to know more.

I"m not trying to be vague about it -- a lot of factors played into it, hard to reduce it down to a soundbyte. I also want to respect and support the developers who will be at E3 this year, so it's a difficult situation. It ultimately wasn't the right fit for me this year; I have a different view of how the show should evolve. That said, it's hard to balance tradition with change....fixing E3 isn't an easy overnight solution.

As a few have noted we are already hard at work on the gamescom: Opening Night Live show for August and really excited about it.

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017
As long as Microsoft,Nintendo,and 3rd parties stay then E3 will stay. Even the more casual gamers hear the news about E3 so it still has a lot of reach.

I'm not entirely sure how Geoff benefits from not attending E3, so for now I can only assume Geoff wants to make a new event to replace E3.

There's no real "benefit" for me skipping E3 -- if anything it's a financial hit for our company and a lot of our staff that work on the show. This was a hard decision but I hope it will be the right one in the long term for the industry.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I"m not trying to be vague about it -- a lot of factors played into it, hard to reduce it down to a soundbyte. I also want to respect and support the developers who will be at E3 this year, so it's a difficult situation. It ultimately wasn't the right fit for me this year; I have a different view of how the show should evolve. That said, it's hard to balance tradition with change....fixing E3 isn't an easy overnight solution.

As a few have noted we are already hard at work on the gamescom: Opening Night Live show for August and really excited about it.

Ahhh this is pretty interesting to see.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and offer insight Geoff! Always great to hear from you!

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for the information Geoff. I've really enjoyed watching your stuff over the years. I'm excited for gamescom!

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
There's no real "benefit" for me skipping E3 -- if anything it's a financial hit for our company and a lot of our staff that work on the show. This was a hard decision but I hope it will be the right one in the long term for the industry.
Well good luck on you and your team's next project.

I hope you seriously consider more carefully what you choose to promote in the future. Your mistake to include THQ NORDIC among the list of advertisers last year could have backfired on you badly and even though it didn't you should have stepped back in co- promoting them.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has been out for a while now, Sony followed, there really isnt much to still watch it at this point. You can just see announcements later

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
My guess is e3 will be the same, the buzz, the flood of news, new games etc, nintendo isnt attending in years but people only started to complain once sony dropped out, they re big and my favourite platform, but there are a lot of games being made that want that e3 attencion.

I understand that people inside this industry have a different vision but my opinion is that e3 will once again be the main event for videogame enthusiastics.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think most of it will go to gamescom instead

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Im so god damn hype for news this year, im going to pee a little every time Platinum, Capcom or Fromsoft appear on screen regardless of where it appears.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

These responses from Geoff are really just not that useful or insightful at all in my opinion. He is not a platform holder or publisher that makes whatever business decision they feel is best regardless of what others may think. If your job is to promote the gaming industry and support developers in general, then you go to to E3 and support what still has a ton of major gaming industry heavyweights participating this year to include a major platform holder in Xbox launching into a next generation. You can certainly speak out publicly about certain things you do or don't like and how things can improve if you want of course, but this feels like a take my ball and go home move that doesn't make much sense when you are still pushing other "live" stage shows such as the Gamescom Opening Live thing.