• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Agent Orange

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 2, 2018
Outside of Greg Miller, the "trending gamer" award was such a botch job. It really shouldn't be that hard to give somebody an award that doesn't empower and embolden toxic behavior.
I am curious why you consider Greg Miller to be better than the rest? I don't think he is anywhere near the persona he puts on for the camera based off of the way he handled the Colin Moriarty situation and the fact that he completely turned his back on his "Best Friend" and cut him off over a dumb, and in poor taste, joke. And he did it to save ratings for Kinda Funny! I think he is as terrible of a person as anyone else who won the award.

Also, I think Pokimane has a shot against Ninja.

Dec 28, 2017
I will maintain my opinion. Twitch-E.A= Scam. I always see this "content creators" as the biggest fraud in the history of digital entertainment. When you see kids donate money to all those streamers that behave execrable, I see emotional extortion and nothing else. One of the biggest downsides of mainstream stupidity named YouTube and Twitch it's making scumbags famous.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
Oh look another award given to closet white racist twitch streamer. No wonder Drake won't play with this bitch boy. He's in good company with Dr Disrespect and Boogie.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
never and to explain why I'll answer this question:

Because the gaming industry actively needs shitbags to buy and sell their games for them.... The entire culture is derived from the industry feeding into all the toxicity for $$$, it's a sick system and a sick cycle of co-dependence and eternal adolescence.

Gaming isn't interested in being taken serious like say films or music or whatever because gaming makes its money by remaining locked in juvenileism, it actively helps them to discourage deep analysis, and to reward trashy gamers than thoughtful players and historians, that\swhy even 101 level college feminist analysis is treated as a scandal whereas film has entire degrees based around feminist analysis lol.

Think about it the big Gaming award show is far more like the People's Choice awards or the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards or the MTV Movie awards than the Grammys, Emmys or Oscars. Largely because the gaming industry encourages its consumer base to never want more than that, and in fact to be hostile to the idea that gaming could or should be more than that. It's why Gone Home was treated as an actual existential threat to gaming when it got good reviews, Gamers were convinced this one game doing well meant their games they love would never get made anymore or some bullshit. The idea of one game not for them was a call to arms...

Gaming wants to be art without any of the responsibility of art.
Yeah, I know. Your post is 100% correct and that's actually somewhat depressing.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
they should remove that category, it just makes the Game Awards seem like a C-tier Award Show like People's Choice Award or some trashy music award show.

OP
OP
Bandage

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I am curious why you consider Greg Miller to be better than the rest? I don't think he is anywhere near the persona he puts on for the camera based off of the way he handled the Colin Moriarty situation and the fact that he completely turned his back on his "Best Friend" and cut him off over a dumb, and in poor taste, joke. And he did it to save ratings for Kinda Funny! I think he is as terrible of a person as anyone else who won the award.

The Game awards official account congratulated Ninja and Ninja alone for being nominated. He's the winner. It's not a real contest or vote.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Discrimination isn't always negative and depending on context in case be a good thing.
Interesting take
Now that's not really the case with this discussion, but the point is that context is important.
So what does it have to do with this conversation?
The context of the situation doesn't make it a black and white case and I've listened to lots of people support his decision. Even women. Even women working in the games industry.
yes, there are a lot of people who support discrimination in America, this is not a new development. Even women, unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who that is but I support it awards for all doggos
YouTube personality Jenna Marbles' doggy
maxresdefault.jpg

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

wait, how is Colin toxic?
Holy shit and now the Moriarty defense force comes out. We should have one of these threads once a week to just have these people on record for this shit. Insane were comparing a man who cast out a racist sexist as being no better than the people exhibiting that behavior here which were discussing.

laser

Feb 17, 2018

I don't see a problem with turning your back on a garbage person like Colin Moriarty.

Agent Orange

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 2, 2018
The Game awards official account congratulated Ninja and Ninja alone for being nominated. He's the winner. It's not a real contest or vote.
oh well in that case that is stupid to even show the other candidates if they have no shot. It's too bad because I think Myth and Poki are more deserving.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well it's being used as a blanket term in this discussion to shut down any arguments, when theres plenty of examples of it being used in the real world for positive reasons. I think context is important in this case.
Again, you have provided 0 context for your own argument as it pertains to this discussion. Shit or get off the pot, get out of here with the "discrimination can be used as a good thing" argument when very clearly that is not anything close to the case thats happening here. Or just come out and say you think its fine to discriminate against women because right now it certainly looks like thats what youre getting at here.

Agent Orange

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 2, 2018
I don't see a problem with turning your back on a garbage person like Colin Moriarty.
why is Colin Garbage? and who are you to pass such judgement?

Is he garbage because he was a republican? or because he has different opinions than you? These are serious questions, I would like to know why your opinion of him is so low?

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's being used as a blanket term in this discussion to shut down any arguments, when theres plenty of examples of it being used in the real world for positive reasons. I think context is important in this case.

The mental gymnastics people are doing to Stan for misogyny in this thread.

Agent Orange

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 2, 2018
Oh honey no, don't ask that, that's opening a pandora's box of shit.

He's toxic in far too many ways to enumerate.
Oh I would prefer to open this as I don't agree with your sentiment, in any way, shape, or form, but I can tell this is going to turn into a thread derailment so I will not broach the topic of Colin again in this thread.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the gaming industry actively needs shitbags to buy and sell their games for them.... The entire culture is derived from the industry feeding into all the toxicity for $$$, it's a sick system and a sick cycle of co-dependence and eternal adolescence.

Gaming isn't interested in being taken serious like say films or music or whatever because gaming makes its money by remaining locked in juvenileism, it actively helps them to discourage deep analysis, and to reward trashy gamers than thoughtful players and historians, that\swhy even 101 level college feminist analysis is treated as a scandal whereas film has entire degrees based around feminist analysis lol.

Really fucking weird year to be condemning the gaming industry as sleazier than the movie or music industries.
Its a problem that there aren't enough women in gaming, but its not as big a problem as if there were loads of women but they didn't get a fucking job without going to visit some producers hotelroom at 2am.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is he garbage because he was a republican? or because he has different opinions than you? These are serious questions, I would like to know why your opinion of him is so low?
He literally claimed white supremacy doesn't exist because some Asians have been successful. He's a racist, sexist alt right trash bag.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Era has a no Moriarty discussion policy because hes garbage. I suggest looking up any number of tweets hes put out with regards to similar discriminatory behavior towards all different groups of people.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why even bring this up when we admit it has no bearing on the actual discussion? What a redundant thing to say.

Further explain how the context of this situation is not black and white. And once again, using the "some women agree so it must be right" argument is another version of "can't be racist because I have black friends who agree with racism".

Probably because acting as if shutting down rheotric designed at prolonging gender discrimination under the guise of a "hive mind" is nothing Im going to put up with, not that Im angry over it.

Read the above for my response to your question. Youre talking about context while ignoring all context within this particular manner (youve yet to even engage with the context of this situation in this thread). A redundant and soporific question. Answer what part about discrimination in this case requires us to open our minds to it.

I'm going to just reply to you from now on, because when I get four people quoting me I just end up repeating myself.

Well simply, he is in a very unique position. He has millions of people watching him in his private space, interacting with him directly through chat, listening to his every word and watching his every move. His followers are all anonymous and can say what they like with little chance of being caught. That's quite an intense lifestyle, far more public than any 'regular' celebrity or any 'regular' job, so they aren't really comparable. So I think in the context of his situation he has chosen to stream alone or with people that make his personal life a bit less stressful.

Yeah it's pathetic that his gf is jealous and can't trust him, but thats his relationship and he's trying to make it work. He's not doing it because he hates women.

As for the positive discrimination thing, I was just pointing out that discrimination can be positive when context is provided, and in this case I think there's enough nuance to not make it an open and close case.

Agent Orange

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 2, 2018
Holy shit and now the Moriarty defense force comes out. We should have one of these threads once a week to just have these people on record for this shit. Insane were comparing a man who cast out a racist sexist as being no better than the people exhibiting that behavior here which were discussing.
OK I lied, one more post. If anyone is toxic it is you for spreading lies about someone else. Colin isn't a racist sexist. Yeah, he made a sexist joke in poor taste, that doesn't make him a sexist person or chisel in stone that he is a sexist. It simply means that he said a sexist joke on twitter. If you go and listen to his podcasts he is clearly neither racist or sexist, but hey keeping pushing your agenda for Greg Miller cause that would be the only excuse for this garbage you are spreading.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Really fucking weird year to be condemning the gaming industry as sleazier than the movie or music industries.
Its a problem that there aren't enough women in gaming, but its not as big a problem as if there were loads of women but they didn't get a fucking job without going to visit some producers hotelroom at 2am.

And if i said Hollywood was perfect you'd have some point, i was speaking to the art of it, the critical analysis and what not

As for MeToo related nature

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/24/video-games-industry-metoo

Like unless you actually thinking gaming, the industry that birthed and empowered and tactily tolerated and sometimes outright endorsed gamergate, doesn't have an underbelly of sexual assault of women.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK I lied, one more post. If anyone is toxic it is you for spreading lies about someone else. Colin isn't a racist sexist. Yeah, he made a sexist joke in poor taste, that doesn't make him a sexist person or chisel in stone that he is a sexist. It simply means that he said a sexist joke on twitter. If you go and listen to his podcasts he is clearly neither racist or sexist, but hey keeping pushing your agenda for Greg Miller cause that would be the only excuse for this garbage you are spreading.

Nice try. You aren't going to gaslight anyone here concerning snake boy.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People change. I'm embarrassed for you dragging up 2+ year old clips to smear a guy doing a lot of good.
As long as someone has done any wrong in the past they aren't allowed to change. That's the view of a lot of people here. But you know, gotta have progressive values and all! Hilarious double standard and holier than thou attitude.

Agent Orange

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 2, 2018
He literally claimed white supremacy doesn't exist because some Asians have been successful. He's a racist, sexist alt right trash bag.
where is your proof of this? show me this was said by him. I have listened to him since the IGN days of Podcast Beyond and he has never said that. He has denounced them repeatedly.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
It just needs a tweak.

There's a "Games for Change", why not a "People for Change"? Twitch/YT stars who do a charity fundraiser, or a journalist who decries bad working conditions. Even a twitterer who begins awareness through a progressive tag.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to just reply to you from now on, because when I get four people quoting me I just end up repeating myself.

Well simply, he is in a very unique position. He has millions of people watching him in his private space, interacting with him directly through chat, listening to his every word and watching his every move. His followers are all anonymous and can say what they like with little chance of being caught. That's quite an intense lifestyle, far more public than any 'regular' celebrity or any 'regular' job, so they aren't really comparable. So I think in the context of his situation he has chosen to stream alone or with people that make his personal life a bit less stressful.

Yeah it's pathetic that his gf is jealous and can't trust him, but thats his relationship and he's trying to make it work. He's not doing it because he hates women.

As for the positive discrimination thing, I was just pointing out that discrimination can be positive when context is provided, and in this case I think there's enough nuance to not make it an open and close case.

This does not justify discrimination and discrimination does not require one to hate the group that they are actively discriminating against. Hating women is a sufficient yet wholly unnecessary component of gender discrimination.

zzzzzzzz

I already told you this site doesn't permit moriarty discussion so Idk why you thought I would engage you further. Its quite easy to google and see what others have told you hes done to warrant this. And why hes blackbarred from the industry and why his best friends turned their back on him. Dude deserves everything he got.