• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Ninja is a shoe-in for this says way more about people that play games than it does Geoff, The Game Awards, or the industry. And that's true whether or not you think Ninja is problematic.

Heisenberg

Oct 25, 2017
ac85d69da678ca3550b3bba951bcd50ed1d47bc1.gif

This guy won before.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
I'm not into the streaming culture, whats the reasoning behind youtubers getting awards?

The content for me is the video game and the development. Like imagine giving an emmy to someone watching Game of Thrones for making jokes about it or analyzing it. Sure it's entertaining and the person behind that is talented, but the real value is still the source material they are using.

My personal opinion is I would love it if they focused more on elements of the development, like art design, sound effects, screen writers etc.. By highlighting those guys they could really push the industry forward.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
How about we make it for those that actually create content...fan games, animation, original music, that kind of thing. Nominate Michaela "Otama-mama" Nachtigall, TerminalMontage, or another similar actual creator, many of which are slipping my mind at the moment.

Playing games on a Stream isn't creating content, it's just generating revenue.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why this needs an award, same with trending gamer.

They're trending, that's their award. They don't need to be celebrated further.

Celebrate the people who make the games, who come up with the ideas.

Not those who scream infront of a camera and make bank.
Or celebrate those content creators that make something for the direct betterment of others.

If I was picking nominees, I'd go with all of GDQ for raising tons of money for charity.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
This draws in a certain demographic to watch the Game Awards. They know what they're doing with this. It's a necessary evil for them to keep growing the viewership.

Aren't the nominees selected by a number of games press? Not everything is a conspiracy (or for the views).

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think the Ninja issue is bigger than The Game Awards. He's representing the entire industry for a significant portion of the population, and while he's gotten better at cleaning up his image - there's absolutely past behavior that could potientally indicate another massive collapse - as has been the case with a lot of the winners of this award.

But if Ninja blows up, it's not going to shine poorly on The Game Awards. It's going to shine badly on everyone, because he is the person who has been selected by this industrial machine to represent gaming as a concept. The backlash happens regardless of who gets the award.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
What's the most efficient way to get viewers? Nominate people with a lot of social media followers.

lori

Oct 25, 2017
Geoff sure is complicit in promoting people that drop the N word and act sexist. It's happened for too many years. He is a problem.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
My beef is that it looks like he just went to Twitch>Browse for the Content Creator award, and nobody like Mark Brown or Matthewmatosis who make content on their youtube channels.,

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When he has featured or co-hosted with women, they have been subjected to harassment campaigns, smears, a lot of which happen off platform, in emails, reaching as far as his partner. He decided the best way to deal with it was to cut women out. It was less promoting women, simply working with other peers. Which shouldn't be a big deal.

I mean, I know the answer is just "because toxic videogame community," but christ WHY

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, why is he refusing to have women on his stream?

Also, why is he required to have/promote women on his stream anyways?

He wont stream with women because he said people will assume that they are a couple and start rumours and shit.

He doesn't HAVE to stream with or promote women on his streams, they are his streams after all and he gets to chose who he plays with and all that, but his reasoning behind not playing with women is the issue. He refuses to play with or promote a huge part of the world just because some internet trolls would be spamming hearts or kissy emojis or someshit.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How about we make it for those that actually create content...fan games, animation, original music, that kind of thing. Nominate Michaela "Otama-mama" Nachtigall, TerminalMontage, or another similar actual creator, many of which are slipping my mind at the moment.

this.

Giving awards to Youtubers is dumb, and even dumber when year after year it keeps going to racists/sexists fucks.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Wait, why is he refusing to have women on his stream?

Also, why is he required to have/promote women on his stream anyways?

His reason is something along the lines of he doesn't want to have women on stream so that his fans dont think he has a thing with them + spread rumors that would damage/put strain on his marriage IIRC.

It's not that he has to have women on stream. But saying he will not play with women because of those resulting rumors rubs me the wrong way because 1) it lacks acknowledgement of his power over his viewers and his ability to change their perfections 2) feeds back into misogynistic stereotypes about women streamers without questioning it and 3) honestly feels like a bad reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers are shit, thus those they cause to trend tend to be the biggest piles of shit. Change the award to something more noteworthy than just some fuck that gets a lot of views. Or get rid of it entirely.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Trending Gamer/Content Creator was a category that meant well, but had repeatedly (Greg Miller aside) been given to trash people.

Just kill the category. Have popular streamer X present an award and solve the problem.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they still have this category. When Geoff asked what they can do to improve the Game Awards the number 1 answer was getting rid of trending gamer. Which I guess they technically did but it sounds like it's under a new name.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Videogames just trying to emulate other bull shit award shows -- a convicted child rapist who fled the country to avoid punishment received the Oscar for best picture, followed by a standing ovation of Hollywood's finest. It's taken 50 years for Hollywood to even begin to wake up to some of this. Hopefully the videogame industry can respond appropriately.
What is Geoff's take on gamergate btw, the bedrock of alt right recruitment and videogame harassment movements?

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja is actually a really nice guy. Sure his reasoning behind not streaming with women is one of the stupidest things I ever heard in my life LOL but at the end of the day he is doing what he thinks is best for his marriage and he isn't causing any harm. Not to mention, Ninja isn't the first athlete to have inoffensive but stupid beliefs. For example look at Russell Wilson or Tim Tebow.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videogames just trying to emulate other bull shit award shows -- a convicted child rapist who fled the country to avoid punishment received the Oscar for best picture, followed by a standing ovation of Hollywood's finest. It's taken 50 years for Hollywood to even begin to wake up to some of this. Hopefully the videogame industry can respond appropriately.
It is a brilliant film at the end of the day and forever belongs to the archive of humanity's great achievements in art. Ninja doesn't make shit.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
When he has featured or co-hosted with women, they have been subjected to harassment campaigns, smears, a lot of which happen off platform, in emails, reaching as far as his partner. He decided the best way to deal with it was to cut women out. It was less promoting women, simply working with other peers. Which shouldn't be a big deal.

Because he has a wife and gamers can be a toxic, shit-stirring bunch.
If I'm reading this correctly, he's not having women on his stream anymore in order to protect them from his toxic fanbase?

If so, there doesn't seem like any malicious intent on his part, but how long does he intend to keep that up?

At some point, you gotta tackle such a toxic community head-on and not shirk away like that.
It's not that he has to have women on stream. But saying he will not play with women because of those resulting rumors rubs me the wrong way because 1) it lacks acknowledgement of his power over his viewers and his ability to change their perceptions 2) feeds back into misogynistic stereotypes about women streamers without questioning it and 3) honestly feels like a bad reason.
The bolded are very valid points.

Even if inadvertent, his actions have consequences due to his popularity within the community.

Last edited:

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Geoff invited Boogie to cohost his e3 youtube show earlier this year even after all the bullshit he has said. He really does not care.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom

Well, it is. It's content. He's the content. Which is why if you or I streamed the exact same thing, no one would care. Because he's the content.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Being better than an absolute shit stain isnt exactly a high bar.
Yeah, well like was pointed out he has cleaned up his act on the stream. Outside of the stream sniping thing I can't think of anything he's done that's put a bad light on gaming.

The 'don't play with women' thing highlights a shitty side of gaming that really has nothing to do with him personally, but with the culture of gamers en masse. He plays with or co-hosts women, and they get hatemail and harassment. Why do we address his reaction to that, not that there's a NEED to react to something like that at all?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im with you OP. It ultimately doesnt matter if hes a good guy off stream if the award is specifically for content creator/streamer which as you mentioned fosters a toxic environment. I also agree with the people who are pointing out this is more problematic that this has an audience but I would interject that awarding someone creating such an environment to those viewers is legitimizing the behavior-both for ninja and his audience.

I'll say it everytime. Its 2018. Grow the fuck up. Excluding women because they receive toxic messages is only reinforcing the ideals that were being thrown at them in the first place. Lets take your logic to the extreme- anytime anyone in any workplace receives public hate similar to what you mentioned above, employers should just fire them because its the best way to not have to deal with said toxicity. Does that sound like a cogent position to take?

Holy Shit dead. This is just pure ether.

I'd rather have no game awards if it means not promoting misogyny.
Bingo. Equality > video games, always.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Geoff sure is complicit in promoting people that drop the N word and act sexist. It's happened for too many years. He is a problem.
I wouldn't be that harsh. I pretty much think that, besides that potential viewership, Geoff doesn't mean any harm with this category, and he also can't control what shitheads say AFTER being awarded and promoted.

That said, I do believe this category needs to go away for good. Let's keep the focus on the people working on games (which is also way I think the Esports awards, while overwhelming, are ok).

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tweet in OP deleted or??? Its not loading for me.