• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
So, let's get this out of the way. Ninja is going to win this. It's not even a contest.

And this is a problem.

Ninja is a problematic streamer who fosters a toxic community, and he will join a long line of problematic gamers that are chosen to "represent gamers".

How is this ok?
You want this to be the face of your industry for million of kids?

You want someone that cant promote women because it might send the wrong message?

Yet another streamer that says racial slurs without a second thought?

Geoff, I know you mean well. But this award needs to end.

Last edited:

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I don't know if we need to get rid of the award as any human is able to fall to these issues and flaws, including actors. I just think we need to reconsider the people we're picking.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Greg Miller, the "trending gamer" award was such a botch job. It really shouldn't be that hard to give somebody an award that doesn't empower and embolden toxic behavior.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This draws in a certain demographic to watch the Game Awards. They know what they're doing with this. It's a necessary evil for them to keep growing the viewership.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I don't know that he's really that bad of a role model. He has a PG stream now with zero cursing and generally does what he can to keep himself out of controversy (despite the recent 'stream sniping' episode). There have been far, far worse people spotlighted for this award in the past (e.g., Boogie). Ninja is rather innocuous by comparison.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest reasons I'm never giving a view to this awards cerimony. This category needs to go (it won't because of $$$ tho).

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the problem with these people has never been that they curse so that's pretty irrelevant

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Wait, why is he refusing to have women on his stream?

Also, why is he required to have/promote women on his stream anyways?

OP
OP
Bandage

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Eh, I don't know that he's really that bad of a role model. He has a PG stream now with zero cursing and generally does what he can to keep himself out of controversy (despite the recent 'stream sniping' episode). There have been far, far worse people spotlighted for this award in the past (e.g., Boogie). Ninja is rather innocuous by comparison.
Being better than an absolute shit stain isnt exactly a high bar.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
All streamers, when YouTube is home to many content creators that actually put time into their craft.

This category is always awful.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017
Excluding Ninja from the list would be ridiculous. He's the most famous video game player.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Wait.

Is "Content Creator" just "Trending Gamer" under a less idiotic name?

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja is one of the best things that could've happened to gaming, if you accept that or not. He's a pretty good role model nowadays, as he should be.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
The Game Awards is a show that puts the most popular mass appealing products on the pedestal, be it games or streamers. Even if it's clearly dogshit piss like Detroit lol. No surprises here.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TGA are a show to create buzz and money.
Most people watch it for new trailers. Nobody should take this event serious.

Nontheless, it's a bad BAD choice to still have this kind of category and include someone like him
with doing what OP showed, not wanting to play with women and using the N word (there was at least one thread about that).

Rango

Oct 29, 2017
Tbh he is the only person I recognize on that list. I have no idea who the other people are on said list so my vote goes to him.

Messofanego

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If Geoff Keighley's goal was to present the worst of the worst gaming Youtubers as winners of Content Creators/Trending Gamer award, then he succeeded! From pro-gamergate losers to n-word defenders and center-right losers who would defend white nationalists and bigots at every turn. Ninja seems actually fairly average compared to previous winners haha!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
This "Content Creator" seems to be just a popularity contest designed to inflate egos of those that are already over-inflated.

The award category should just be scrapped.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
To be fair, it's not shown in that Mark Brown clip that he was having a go at a young child for calling him a faggot.

I fully back him putting the kid in his place. He probably won't listen to his parents or friends, but it might finally get through if he heads it from a 'celebrity'

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Wait.

Is "Content Creator" just "Trending Gamer" under a less idiotic name?
Kinda. Looks like the focus this time is entirely around streamers/youtubers, where previous years at least nominated people who did other things (though the vast majority of nominees were streamers/youtubers).

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's award show, they can can award whoever they want. The issue comes if they talk out both sides of their mouths if they start talking about gaming being for everyone then highlight a dude that refuses to game with half the population for "reasons".

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why this needs an award, same with trending gamer.

They're trending, that's their award. They don't need to be celebrated further.

Celebrate the people who make the games, who come up with the ideas.

Not those who scream infront of a camera and make bank.

lino

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His streams are completely different to what they used to be back in the day. They've changed for the better and he's looked up to by a bunch of kids. Yeah he might've been toxic before, but how is he creating a toxic community with the way his streams are today? Constantly bringing up past stupidity while he's bettering himself is stupid af to be very honest.

And in no way am I a ninja fan but he's done a lot.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Videogames just trying to emulate other bull shit award shows -- a convicted child rapist who fled the country to avoid punishment received the Oscar for best picture, followed by a standing ovation of Hollywood's finest. It's taken 50 years for Hollywood to even begin to wake up to some of this. Hopefully the videogame industry can respond appropriately.

Nov 23, 2017
Ninja is one of the best things that could've happened to gaming, if you accept that or not. He's a pretty good role model nowadays, as he should be.
It's really sad you've somehow been tricked into believing this. Gaming was fine without drake and rick and morty bullshit.

And I play fortnite so don't come back with some oh you're just a hater stuff

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Wait, why is he refusing to have women on his stream?

Also, why is he required to have/promote women on his stream anyways?

When he has featured or co-hosted with women, they have been subjected to harassment campaigns, smears, a lot of which happen off platform, in emails, reaching as far as his partner. He decided the best way to deal with it was to cut women out. It was less promoting women, simply working with other peers. Which shouldn't be a big deal.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they should rename it to "the totalbiscuit memorial award" so we can all just expect shitty people every year

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Ninja is so much bigger than this story people here always bring up. Yeah it sucks but the things he has done for charity, for gaming representation as a whole far outweighs it in the eyes of the public. The dude goes on mainstream talk shows with a smile and a well spoken attitude to educate people about gaming and steaming, that's kind of huge in and of itself. I'd say he should definitely win.