• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you agree that these statements are wrong?

Call the police. Don't stream. Get into a relationship with someone who isn't fragile. End the relationship. Ask his girlfriend to visit a therapist. Beef up his cybersecurity. Just off the top of my head.

Police wont care after the 16th call. He probably gets hundreds.

Streaming ends his career

End relationship.

Force gf to see therapist

or not stream with women.

Hmm.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Oqwv3zZ.jpg

http:///925c.png
http:///A25c.png
http:///B25c.png

Goddamn, so much kudos to Bob Mackey for taking this clown to task

When channels like Mark Brown or Extra Credits got ignored in favor of game streamers, I can't take the awards seriously.

I'm...I'm really sorry :(

Was gutted to see this unfold as a longtime fan. Seems to be why Dan left and cohosts his own stuff here and here

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, when I have a daughter who loves games and watches some streamers and here is one of the biggest ones in the world telling people they outright refuse to stream with another human being based on their gender, that pisses me off. People like him should not be representatives of the hobby nor should they be recognized in a positive capacity when it can be avoided. I don't want my daughter having to deal with that sort of harmful garbage.
Have you considered teaching your daughter about context?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But can they really?

Asking him to quit his job is a bit extreme as well. That's his main source of income.

I understand what you are saying about bending to the pressure, but it's very easy to say that when you're an anonymous internet user. He has millions of people interacting with him on a daily basis. Living in America too is a nightmare, because you don't know when someone is going to shoot at your windows whilst your streaming, or walk into a pizza place and shoot you whilst you're playing a game, or send the police over to your house and say you're a gunman on the loose and get shot on your doorstep. It's fucking nuts to be honest.

As for his relationship, not everyone realises they are in a toxic one. He may very well be, but I think he has to do what's right for him. I have guy and girl friends who don't hang out with the opposite sex. They think it always starts with some kind of sexual attraction. Who am I to judge?
Yes, they can.

I didn't ask him to quit his job. I simply am pointing out that if he is that concerned with threats from the internet he would not be doing this at all. Instead he'd rather take money from the sexist racist GGers paying him and pushing for him to discriminate and bending to their will while always keeping channels open for future discrimination on the whims of those very people. If he were that concerned he could very well stop streaming. Instead he chose the shittiest position possible, which was to take their money, legitimizing their tactics, legitimizing their ideals, and actively discriminating against women. You don't get to be in that position and not get called for it.

I live in America. Violent crime has fallen for over 20 years with it spiking for the first time just last year. Those events are incredibly rare even for a country like ours where violent crime is higher than that of other countries. Again, this does not justify, excuse, or mitigate that fact he is discriminating.

Yes, not everyone realizes theyre in a toxic relationship. Again, this still does not excuse discrimination. Further, didn't someone post an article on the previous pages evidencing that his gf doesn't actually care about this, and thats just literally him that doesnt want to deal with the gossip?

In what context is discrimination justified, because no argument thus far has come close to evidencing thats the case here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Police wont care after the 16th call. He probably gets hundreds.

Streaming ends his career

End relationship.

Force gf to see therapist

or not stream with women.

Hmm.

What is more important to you, a video game streamers career or ending discrimination? Is he essential personnel or something? Should he keep his career if it perpetuates discrimination? Yeah, it might be comparitively harder, but doing the right thing is not always the easy thing.

I agree, it was a poor way to start a discussion.

Discrimination isn't always negative and depending on context in case be a good thing.
Is discrimination always wrong?

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
She's probably more well versed in it than a lot of people I'm seeing in this thread. You're gonna fucking tell me my daughter should have to look for context in blatant discrimination? That's sick. Also this:
In what context is discrimination justified, because no argument thus far has come close to evidencing thats the case here.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wait...is that video of hes im the OP the norm of the streams?

If yes, wtf and how anyone can follow that?

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, they can.

I didn't ask him to quit his job. I simply am pointing out that if he is that concerned with threats from the internet he would not be doing this at all. Instead he'd rather take money from the sexist racist GGers paying him and pushing for him to discriminate and bending to their will while always keeping channels open for future discrimination on the whims of those very people. If he were that concerned he could very well stop streaming. Instead he chose the shittiest position possible, which was to take their money, legitimizing their tactics, legitimizing their ideals, and actively discriminating against women. You don't get to be in that position and not get called for it.

I live in America. Violent crime has fallen for over 20 years with it spiking for the first time just last year. Those events are incredibly rare even for a country like ours where violent crime is higher than that of other countries. Again, this does not justify, excuse, or mitigate that fact he is discriminating.

Yes, not everyone realizes theyre in a toxic relationship. Again, this still does not excuse discrimination. Further, didn't someone post an article on the previous pages evidencing that his gf doesn't actually care about this, and thats just literally him that doesnt want to deal with the gossip?

I feel you are labelling his entire fan base with this and it's not fair. It's not like he's bending to the will of his extremist cult following. (EDIT) He is having to take the situation into his own hands and it's certainly flawed, but the other solutions just seem to be worse for him personally.

I bet it's a lot higher for streamers, and that's just the most extreme events. They will always be in the back of his mind, and the general harassment is probably constant.

I didn't see anything about his wife/gf saying she didn't care, but I imagine that's probably to stop the internet blaming her and asking her to go therapy.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying discrimination, Pattern of dismissing concerns in sensitive topics, Accumulated infractions
Why are people throwing around the word discrimination like this dude is denying people employment opportunities or refusing to serve them in a store.

Isnt he just choosing who plays games with? If someone doesnt want to play with women or minorities because they dont like them, yeah that person is an asshole. But if you take what he says at face value and it impacts his family then I dont see why picking and choosing which videogame invites he accepts is discrimination.

If I turn down an invite from a female colleague to go out for a drink after work, that's not discrimination.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I feel you are labelling his entire fan base with this and it's not fair. It's not like he's bending to the will of his extremist cult following. (EDIT) He is having to take the situation into his own hands and it's certainly flawed, but the other solutions just seem to be worse for him personally.
9f882b59efa3a7fbe8012f21e35d5403.jpg

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I bet it's a lot higher for streamers, and that's just the most extreme events. They will always be in the back of his mind, and the general harassment is probably constant.

I didn't see anything about his wife/gf saying she didn't care, but I imagine that's probably to stop the internet blaming her and asking her to go therapy.
Ive said nothing about the number of fans that are like this, only that this profession invites that behavior regardless of what youre doing (IE your house getting shot at despite not discriminating against women). If youre that concerned about such a possibility you would switch professions. Instead, he elected to remain here for the money while continuing to put his family at risk, as you put it.

But honestly thats entertaining the notion hes concerned for his family's well being when his reasoning for this had nothing to do with the safety of anyone. It was merely to prevent gossip. So the safety concerns are a moot point, even if as I said, still do not justify discrimination even if they were legitimate.

Someone posted an article from polygon evidencing it but I havent sat down and read it yet. The reason he originally said he did this was to avoid gossip, which is an incredibly tenuous justification for outright discrimination.

Why are people throwing around the word discrimination like this dude is denying people employment opportunities or refusing to serve them in a store.

Isnt he just choosing who plays games with? If someone doesnt want to play with women or minorities because they dont like them, yeah that person is an asshole. But if you take what he says at face value and it impacts his family then I dont see why picking and choosing which videogame invites he accepts is discrimination.

Discrimination: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

He also didn't say anything about his family. Its about avoiding gossip.

IE "I will not play games with women because I want to avoid gossip" is prejudice against a group of people based on sex, otherwise known as, discrimination.

Oct 25, 2017

If he said that playing games with black people is hurting his family, would that not be discriminatory? Or bigoted?

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Seriously? You really don't believe "I refuse to stream with people of a certain gender" is not discrimination? Actually, I am not surprised.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What is more important to you, a video game streamers career or ending discrimination? Is he essential personnel or something? Should he keep his career if it perpetuates discrimination? Yeah, it might be comparitively harder, but doing the right thing is not always the easy thing.

It doesn't matter what I think, I'm just trying to empathise with his position and I have no idea what it's like. I can only imagine how toxic it is by comparing it to my experience with the toxicity I find in message boards and comment sections. It's disgusting. Yeah he's doing what's best for him at the expense of other people, but sometimes thats ok. If it's not ok then he will soon be getting a knock on the door by the police and then you can tell me how wrong I am.

Yes to use it in this conversation, it was wrong.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
If he said that playing games with black people is hurting his family, would that not be discriminatory? Or bigoted?
Well that's a strawman but if playing with black people resulted in his family being harassed, then that would be a supremely fucked situation, and the people doing the harassing are clearly bigoted assholes, but I wouldn't blame him for choosing not to.

We're not talking about a law enforcement officer or publically elected official here. It's a guy playing videogames. Hes not obligated to play with everyone. Though if you want to judge him for that, its totally understandable.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

If I turn down an invite from a female colleague to go out for a drink after work, that's not discrimination.
Lmao

Benita gonna Benita

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ive said nothing about the number of fans that are like this, only that this profession invites that behavior regardless of what youre doing (IE your house getting shot at despite not discriminating against women). If youre that concerned about such a possibility you would switch professions. Instead, he elected to remain here for the money while continuing to put his family at risk, as you put it.

But honestly thats entertaining the notion hes concerned for his family's well being when his reasoning for this had nothing to do with the safety of anyone. It was merely to prevent gossip. So the safety concerns are a moot point, even if as I said, still do not justify discrimination even if they were legitimate.

Someone posted an article from polygon evidencing it but I havent sat down and read it yet. The reason he originally said he did this was to avoid gossip, which is an incredibly tenuous justification for outright discrimination.

True

Well you don't know what issues the gossip is causing, it could be having an affect on his wife's mental health. Or his mental health. That's a safety concern.

See I believe it doesn't make discrimination right, but in this case it does make it justified because the negative effects on his personal life outweigh the negative effects on society. I have no proof of course, but I choose to believe what he says about his relationship being at risk.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Ninja never played with women, but never provided a justification for it (not a better one, just not one at all), would people still be mad at him?

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a strawman but if playing with black people resulted in his family being harassed, then that would be a supremely fucked situation, and the people doing the harassing are clearly bigoted assholes, but I wouldn't blame him for choosing not to.

We're not talking about a law enforcement officer or publically elected official here. It's a guy playing videogames. Hes not obligated to play with everyone. Though if you want to judge him for that, its totally understandable.

No one is forcing him to play with women, we're telling people like Geoff not to promote people who have gender biases.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rather VGA gives it to channels which actually provides insightful content. Channels like Mike Brown, Super Bunnyhop, Did you know, etc.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
How long is this shit going to be allowed to continue
What are you talking about?

Discrimination is gross and unacceptable and thankfully its legislated against in many instances.

Choosing not to play a video game with a person because it will result in your family being attacked is simply not an example of it.

The shitheels harassing his wife are the ones you should be directing your ire towards.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
His argument wasn't even about toxicity, it was that people start "shipping" rumours over him and those women. And this bothers him. But it doesn't even bother his wife. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/11/17675738/ninja-twitch-female-gamers

Somehow the narrative got twisted about Ninja just being overprotective of women from harassment and toxicity, presumably to make him seem like the good guy (it'd still be lame because he'd be throwing women under the bus instead of, you know, using his influence and wealth to reign him his shitty fans), but it's not even the reason he chose to exclude women. It was literally because he wanted to avoid "gossip".

Thanks for this. I don't know much about Ninja specifically aside from having vaguely heard about this. I can understand trying to be considerate for your spouse's feelings, and I thought this was just an over-the-top attempt at that - I've never heard of a healthy relationship with someone who is jealous from their partner just being around someone.

But if his wife doesn't care and it's just to prevent shipping, it seems pretty silly. And it's not like shipping goes away if you only have men in the room. The only YouTube people I really watch are Retsupurae, and I've seen Slowbeef's wife laughing at the idea of homoerotic Slowbeef/Diabetus fanfiction.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This does not justify discrimination and discrimination does not require one to hate the group that they are actively discriminating against. Hating women is a sufficient yet wholly unnecessary component of gender discrimination.

The bolded is a response to a tiny and supplementary part of my comment. The rest of it is all I have to work with, so I guess I'll just say I disagree? But I feel I've put more effort in than you have.

I'm kind of feeling like this is the "they can't be racist because there is no hatred" thing reaching a new level.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
What are you talking about?

Discrimination is gross and unacceptable and thankfully its legislated against in many instances.

Choosing not to play a video game with a person because it will result in your family being attacked is simply not an example of it.

The shitheels harassing his wife are the ones you should be directing your ire towards.

Gaming is about the only industry I have ever genuinely heard people defending excluding half of the world's population being a valid position.

Not saying I'm surprised though.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's easy for you to say. He's made this decision to put his family first.

I noticed you said you had a daughter on the previous page. Hypothetically, if you were in Ninja's position, would you invite female streamers onto your show if it meant your daughter would be contacted by random people about it, maybe even harassed by them? Would you be willing to risk subjecting her to that if it meant doing what you believed was right, or would you try to avoid that if it wasn't necessary?

Ninja is just a person like any of us, and he's trying to do right by his family. I'm sure people can relate to that. He's not just a vessel for your views or change in the industry. He's a normal human before all of that, and he has to put up with the worst sort of behaviour by having a job in the spotlight.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's easy for you to say. He's made this decision to put his family first.

I noticed you said you had a daughter on the previous page. Hypothetically, if you were in Ninja's position, would you invite female streamers onto your show if it meant your daughter would be contacted by random people about it, maybe even harassed by them? Would you be willing to risk subjecting her to that if it meant doing what you believed was right, or would you try to avoid that if it wasn't necessary?

Ninja is just a person like any of us, and he's trying to do right by his family. I'm sure people can relate to that. He's not just a vessel for your views or change in the industry. He's a normal human before all of that, and he has to put up with the worst sort of behaviour by having a job in the spotlight.
Not a family issue, please stop gaslighting why he discriminates (and even if it was it doesn't justify it).

Twitch's biggest streamer, Tyler "Ninja" Blevins, doesn't stream with women. He's spoken about his decision before, explaining that "it's just not worth it" to face the potential drama and rumors that might occur as a result. Last week, he echoed that sentiment again to The Verge's sister site Polygon. "If I have one conversation with one female streamer where we're playing with one another, and even if there's a hint of flirting, that is going to be taken and going to be put on every single video and be clickbait forever," he said.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/14/17688392/ninja-fortnite-women-streaming-harassment

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Gaming is about the only industry I have ever genuinely heard people defending excluding half of the world's population being a valid position.

Not saying I'm surprised though.
He's not excluding women from the gaming industry.

He as an individual is choosing not to play a game with them.

I'm not saying the marginalisation of women in gaming isnt an issue - it clearly is - but him making this personal decision isnt it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I would not willfully engage in discrimination against women under any circumstance, no hypothetical needed.
Okay, I denounce them as well obviously, but I also have plenty of ire towards people like yourself and others who seek to downplay and dismiss discrimination by statements such as:
Discrimination isn't always negative and depending on context in case be a good thing.
Is discrimination always wrong?

Isnt he just choosing who plays games with?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
He's not excluding women from the gaming industry.

He as an individual is choosing not to play a game with them.

I'm not saying the marginalisation of women in gaming isnt an issue - it clearly is - but him making this personal decision isnt it.

He is the most popular streamer on the planet openly justifying that through no fault of their own, he will exclude women from his streams, exposure and chances to grow because he may get what literally every famous person gets. He is normalizing the idea that its okay to exclude women from the hobby because of "X, Y, Z" reason instead of coming out and confronting those reasons. And the basis is that he doesn't like people shipping him while his wife literally does not care.

I'm sorry but open your eyes.

Leek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would not willfully engage in discrimination against women under any circumstance, no hypothetical needed.

Well good on you for being honest about that. Personally I wouldn't want to force something like online threats and harassment on my loved ones, so I can understand Ninja's reasoning for this.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I rather VGA gives it to channels which actually provides insightful content. Channels like Mike Brown, Super Bunnyhop, Did you know, etc.
That's who I wish they'd acknowledge too . Not streamers who play the most popular game of the time.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah it's terrible how homophobic kids are these days.

I didn't hear what the kid said, just the adult man throwing a tantrum

Well good on you for being honest about that. Personally I wouldn't want to force something like online threats and harassment on my loved ones, so I can understand Ninja's reasoning for this.

Maybe he should wonder why his content attracts such a shitty audience instead?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
The man doesn't want his wife reading shit, even if it's false it's still not something you want to come across.

Even with him saying "she has nothing to do with this" sounds like a man that doesn't want to drag his wife into it.

As far as why doesn't he risk losing followers by going on a soapbox and doing what a bunch of people on a forum want? Dude is not an idiot he knows he won't be hot forever and he is going to make as much money as possible and I don't blame him.

No one here has 5 million people following them. So no one here could relate to anything going on in this kids head.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The sheer size of his self-admitted trash audience means that probably happens already and they already take measures to isolate themselves from it. Even the lowest YouTube celebs have to do this already, much less this millionaire.

And that isn't even his argument anyway, that's just some shit ya'll made up.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I don't follow this type of stuff, but wow that video in the OP really shows me that I'm not missing anything. A person acting like that shouldn't be watched.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I deal with this constantly as a matter of fact, I've gotten more online threats than I can count against myself, my family, and my pets. I'm not a stranger to the situation he finds himself in. What I would not do is teach or be an example to my daughter to abandon her moral compass and what she knows is right to engage in discrimination for the sake of protection when there are other options available, even and especially if those options are hard or inconvenient.