• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's a strawman but if playing with black people resulted in his family being harassed, then that would be a supremely fucked situation, and the people doing the harassing are clearly bigoted assholes, but I wouldn't blame him for choosing not to.

We're not talking about a law enforcement officer or publically elected official here. It's a guy playing videogames. Hes not obligated to play with everyone. Though if you want to judge him for that, its totally understandable.

It is just "a guy ..." that has millions of views, a lot of publicity, reach, money and influence on his audience "... playing videogames". Don't be this thick.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
resetera is probably the most progressive place to talk about video games on the entire internet, and people here are still trying so hard to justify excluding women from a stream just because they're women. just think about that. video game fandom is absolutely rotten.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I love the dual implications that A) Ninja is very important because he has a ton of followers and B) a sizeable enough portion of those followers are absolute catty morons who immediately speculate that he's sleeping with any woman who comes within three feet of him, and he's terrified of offending them.

Trending Gamer~!

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I personally think they should stick to giving awards to the games and drop all the real person shit. I would rather watch a show where they hand out awards to the actual developers instead of handing them out off camera so they can bring the best e-sports team or some shit up on stage.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
The sheer size of his self-admitted trash audience means that probably happens already and they already take measures to isolate themselves from it. Even the lowest YouTube celebs have to do this already, much less this millionaire.

And that isn't even his argument anyway, that's just some shit ya'll made up.

My 9 and 6 year old loves Ninja and i take offense to the fact that you think they are self admitted trash.

No matter what you think about Ninja, to paint ALL of his audience with the one brush seems to undo everything your arguing for.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
"Content Creator" seems like such a weird title for a streamer.

When I think of "content creators", it's people like Mark Brown who come to mind. Not people who film themselves playing games.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I noticed you said you had a daughter on the previous page. Hypothetically, if you were in Ninja's position, would you invite female streamers onto your show if it meant your daughter would be contacted by random people about it, maybe even harassed by them? Would you be willing to risk subjecting her to that if it meant doing what you believed was right, or would you try to avoid that if it wasn't necessary?

What?

Maybe be a proper parent and don't force your kid on the stream, and don't have your wife on the stream if they don't want to be public.

Nobody's saying "broadcast your entire life, out your family!", they're saying "don't be a weirdo, just treat women like people because that's what they are. If morons in chat start shit, tell 'em it's not cool."

I get that artists aren't always able to control who appreciates their work, but streaming is one of the more interactive and immediately-responsive mediums. Maybe use those millions to get a moderator.

Besides, being a huge weirdo about people saying you have chemistry with everyone you meet will only lead to more trouble, whereas just.. interacting with people on a normal, human level normalizes it.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Im just sad that NickEh30 isn't nominated for this category. He is one of the most jolly streamers and a real nice guy. His channel blew up since Fortnite from just a few thousands to now almost million subscribers.

Ninja is just a juggernaut and the face of gaming currently.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Count me in the "streamers aren't creators" camp. Some are entertaining to watch, but the attachment to gaming is incidental. They're building a cult of personality.

The award should go away. If that means the show gets cancelled, that's fine. Games don't need an award show to be fun.

My 9 and 6 year old loves Ninja and i take offense to the fact that you think they are self admitted trash.

No matter what you think about Ninja, to paint ALL of his audience with the one brush seems to undo everything your arguing for.

Hope you got a hot pad on your hands when handing out those hot takes.

He said that the size of the audience that is self-admitted trash is large. He did not say that everyone who watches Ninja is trash.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He painted them that way, not me. He's the one who claims not to trust them enough to have a woman on stream with him.

Nobody here is downplaying discrimination

You 100% were. You're just trying to roll it back now that the other guy was banned.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Nobody here is downplaying discrimination

Why are people throwing around the word discrimination like this dude is denying people employment opportunities or refusing to serve them in a store.

Isnt he just choosing who plays games with?

Many of us are well aware of this game you play and your history. Those are your words. You can scream to the high heavens you aren't doing something, but it's right there.
Ninja isn't perfect. None of us are. He's trying his best though.
Is he streaming with women now? Then he isn't trying his best.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
It is just "a guy ..." that has millions of views, a lot of publicity, reach, money and influence on his audience "... playing videogames". Don't be this thick.
Mike Pence is the vice president of the United States.

He's a fucking moron for a multitude of reasons, including his stance on social interaction with women.

But hes not practicing discrimination and ultimately hes entitled to make that decision for the sake of his personal relationship.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Many of us are well aware of this game you play and your history. Those are your words. You can scream to the high heavens you aren't doing something, but it's right there.
That's not downplaying discrimination.

I'm on record in this very thread as denouncing discrimination and celebrating the fact that its outlawed in many contexts.

What I'm disputing is that this is an example of it.

Theres a difference and you're arguing in bad faith by pretending I'm saying something I'm not.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The article you linked offers a quote from Ninja explaining that he did it to protect his wife. Why do you think he did it if you don't believe that?
That literally was used as a scapegoat after the backlash, not from the original reasoning.

And let me qualify this by saying, even if it wasn't, there is 0 justification for discriminating and empowering sexism against women.

Last edited:

Deleted member 47942

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2018
But hes not practicing discrimination and ultimately hes entitled to make that decision for the sake of his personal relationship.

I wish more people understood this. I know next to fucking nothing about Ninja but, at first glance, his reasoning for doing this obviously isn't coming from the point of maliciousness that people are claiming it is.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I wish more people understood this. I know next to fucking nothing about Ninja but, at first glance, his reasoning for doing this obviously isn't coming from the point of maliciousness that people are claiming it is.
You need to understand maliciousness is not a prerequisite for discrimination
That's not downplaying discrimination.

I'm on record in this very thread as denouncing discrimination and celebrating the fact that its outlawed in many contexts.
You're on record doing both, you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth.

Last edited:

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
As far as Ninja specifically is concerned, it's not hard to find reasons he shouldn't be getting an award:

- past racist behavior (miss me with the Mel Gibson "heated moment" defense, that word doesn't "slip" unless it's used offline regularly)
- past sexist behavior (refusing to stream with women; the "spare my wife" excuse is lame. Morning shows nationwide frequently have mixed gender hosts, welcome to 2018)
- doesn't confront same behavior within his fanbase
- doesn't actually create original content

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think its a fitting and realistic take on the trash that is gaming personalities.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the gaming industry actively needs shitbags to buy and sell their games for them.... The entire culture is derived from the industry feeding into all the toxicity for $$$, it's a sick system and a sick cycle of co-dependence and eternal adolescence.

Gaming isn't interested in being taken serious like say films or music or whatever because gaming makes its money by remaining locked in juvenileism, it actively helps them to discourage deep analysis, and to reward trashy gamers than thoughtful players and historians, that\swhy even 101 level college feminist analysis is treated as a scandal whereas film has entire degrees based around feminist analysis lol.

Think about it the big Gaming award show is far more like the People's Choice awards or the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards or the MTV Movie awards than the Grammys, Emmys or Oscars. Largely because the gaming industry encourages its consumer base to never want more than that, and in fact to be hostile to the idea that gaming could or should be more than that. It's why Gone Home was treated as an actual existential threat to gaming when it got good reviews, Gamers were convinced this one game doing well meant their games they love would never get made anymore or some bullshit. The idea of one game not for them was a call to arms...

Gaming wants to be art without any of the responsibility of art.

Preach.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most mind boggling thing about that shitty reasoning is that the toxic people he's talking about are his fans. His subscribers. His community. Like he's admitting the people that follow him can be really shitty, but instead of putting the onus on them, because, you know, that might cost him viewers, his solution is to just exclude women from his considerable platform entirely. Just ignore the problem. It's a shit stance.

I hope you know none of this is true. He has repeatedly said he's not talking about his subs he's talking about the tens of millions of views that Fortnite clickbait channels get on the daily. Those people aren't all "his community".

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
You're on record doing both, you're speaking out of both sides of your mouth.
No I'm not. You're putting words into it.

It's a shitty situation period. Nobody is denying that.

The disagreement is whether Ninja as an individual in this context is practicing unreasonable prejudicial behaviour and in particular, is he doing it to the extent that he should be excluded from an award show.

But that's ok. We can disagree.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Because the gaming industry actively needs shitbags to buy and sell their games for them.... The entire culture is derived from the industry feeding into all the toxicity for $$$, it's a sick system and a sick cycle of co-dependence and eternal adolescence.

Gaming isn't interested in being taken serious like say films or music or whatever because gaming makes its money by remaining locked in juvenileism, it actively helps them to discourage deep analysis, and to reward trashy gamers than thoughtful players and historians, that\swhy even 101 level college feminist analysis is treated as a scandal whereas film has entire degrees based around feminist analysis lol.

Think about it the big Gaming award show is far more like the People's Choice awards or the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards or the MTV Movie awards than the Grammys, Emmys or Oscars. Largely because the gaming industry encourages its consumer base to never want more than that, and in fact to be hostile to the idea that gaming could or should be more than that. It's why Gone Home was treated as an actual existential threat to gaming when it got good reviews, Gamers were convinced this one game doing well meant their games they love would never get made anymore or some bullshit. The idea of one game not for them was a call to arms...

Gaming wants to be art without any of the responsibility of art.

Absolutely spot on.

The worst thing that ever happened to gamers was when they won the "games are art" debate. Then, suddenly. everyone wanted to treat games like art with critique and analysis and questions about the messages that games send.

We had a full on cultural melt down over a woman in a plaid shirt pointing out that games have historically been pretty shitty to women in representation. And four years later it's still going on.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess...

Oct 25, 2017
Mike Pence is the vice president of the United States.

He's a fucking moron for a multitude of reasons, including his stance on social interaction with women.

What?????
He's a hardcore homophobe.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people throwing around the word discrimination like this dude is denying people employment opportunities or refusing to serve them in a store.

Isnt he just choosing who plays games with? If someone doesnt want to play with women or minorities because they dont like them, yeah that person is an asshole. But if you take what he says at face value and it impacts his family then I dont see why picking and choosing which videogame invites he accepts is discrimination.

If I turn down an invite from a female colleague to go out for a drink after work, that's not discrimination.

Straight out of a ban with this garbage lol

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
What?????
He's a hardcore homophobe.
Yup, we're talking about him discriminating against women in this scenario though which benita is arguing isn't discrimination.

Isnt he just choosing who plays games with?
"I'm putting words into it"
Straight out of a ban with this garbage lol

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA

It's a shitty situation period. Nobody is denying that.

The disagreement is whether Ninja as an individual in this context is practicing unreasonable prejudicial behaviour and in particular, is he doing it to the extent that he should be excluded from an award show.

But that's ok. We can disagree.
You've tried to stake out this position multiple times without actually providing a justification.

In what possible universe is refusing to interact with someone due to their gender not discrimination?

Justification doesn't even enter into it. It doesn't matter what reason a racist has for refusing to hire a black person. It doesn't matter what reason a homophobe has for refusing to serve a gay person.

How the fuck can it not be discriminatory to refuse to interact with women professionally?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
If I turn down an invite from a female colleague to go out for a drink after work, that's not discrimination.

If you regularly go for dinners with your subordinate male colleagues and discuss business and network and as a result their careers benefit, but you refuse to do this with a female colleague purely because she's a woman, yes, that is discrimination.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA

Isnt he just choosing who plays games with? If someone doesnt want to play with women or minorities because they dont like them, yeah that person is an asshole. But if you take what he says at face value and it impacts his family then I dont see why picking and choosing which videogame invites he accepts is discrimination.

Oh, I see. you're pretending that he's "just not playing games with them" as a work around for professional discrimination.

As if a million dollar business for this dude isn't "professional."

Here's the facts of the matter:

1. By refusing to play with female streamers he perpetuates the stereotype that women aren't "real" gamers and that their inclusion in gaming spaces is somehow illegitimate. For that reason alone his stance is fucking reprehensible.

2. By refusing to play with female streamers as the most popular streamer in the world he denies those women exposure and instead boosts the exposure of other male streamers at the expense of women. He is effectively denying women the chance to get a boost by playing with the most popular streamer in the world cuz he's a fucking hypocrite.

3. Toxic fans don't need a reason to go after his family. Refusing to play with women doesn't make him less likely to get screen sniped, hacked, doxed, or fucking swatted. It just increases the chances that someone will claim he's screwing another streamer. That's such a laughably flimsy excuse I'm actually surprised to see people taking it at face value.

And your "drinks after work" analogy is fucking absurd. Do you get millions of dollars for going out to drinks after work? Is going to drinks after work with someone likely to have an affect on their career? Is going out to drinks a spectator sport? No? Then I guess that's a pretty poor analogy don't you think?

One more reason Ninja's a fucking hypocrite:

He starred in a commercial about a girl dreaming of becoming a pro gamer and playing on the national stage with him. He took a boatload of money to portray a scenario that he would refuse to take part in. Hey kids, buy this phone so you can play Fortnight good enough to play with Ninja, but jk if you're a girl.

Dude's shit.

Last edited:

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Oh, I see. you're pretending that he's "just not playing games with them" as a work around for professional discrimination.

1. By refusing to play with female streamers he perpetuates the stereotype that women aren't "real" gamers and that their inclusion in gaming spaces is somehow illegitimate. For that reason alone his stance is fucking reprehensible.

2. By refusing to play with female streamers as the most popular streamer in the world he denies those women exposure and instead boosts the exposure of other male streamers at the expense of women. He is effectively denying women the chance to get a boost by playing with the most popular streamer in the world cuz he's a fucking hypocrite.

3. Toxic fans don't need a reason to go after his family. Refusing to play with women doesn't make him less likely to get screen sniped, hacked, doxed, or fucking swatted. It just increases the chances that someone will claim he's screwing another streamer. that's such a laughably flimsy excuse I'm actually surprised to see people taking it at face value.

And your "drinks after work" analogy is fucking absurd. Do you get millions of dollars for going out to drinks after work? Is going to drinks after work with someone likely to have an affect on their career? Is going out to drinks a spectator sport? No? Then I guess that's a pretty poor analogy don't you think?

He starred in a commercial about a girl dreaming of becoming a pro gamer and playing on the national stage with him. He took a boatload of money to portray a scenario that he would refuse to take part in. Hey kids, buy this phone so you can play Fortnight good enough to play with Ninja, but jk if you're a girl.

Dude's shit.
Great post. Ninja is indefensible garbage and it's embarrassing that the game awards make the same mistakes year after year

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

3. Toxic fans don't need a reason to go after his family. Refusing to play with women doesn't make him less likely to get screen sniped, hacked, doxed, or fucking swatted. It just increases the chances that someone will claim he's screwing another streamer. that's such a laughably flimsy excuse I'm actually surprised to see people taking it at face value.

Dude's shit.
That is one hell of a boom

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Dude's shit.

What more is there to say?

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

Dude's shit.
This so hard. Anyone disputing this is honestly a discrimination denier.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Think about it the big Gaming award show is far more like the People's Choice awards or the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards or the MTV Movie awards than the Grammys, Emmys or Oscars. Largely because the gaming industry encourages its consumer base to never want more than that, and in fact to be hostile to the idea that gaming could or should be more than that.
Bullshit. This is such a warped viewpoint, ugh.

You can't compare a show in its' fifth year with the fucking Academy Awards. The Oscars gets tax breaks and has the support of a near 100 year-old industry behind it. Not to mention they have the luxury of being broadcast on traditional TV where the Oscars is sold to a network who then makes profit on ad breaks. The reason TGA needs to have ads and game reveals is because it simply wouldn't be funded otherwise. It has nothing to do with some dark agenda to maintain the status quo.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017

3. Toxic fans don't need a reason to go after his family. Refusing to play with women doesn't make him less likely to get screen sniped, hacked, doxed, or fucking swatted. It just increases the chances that someone will claim he's screwing another streamer. That's such a laughably flimsy excuse I'm actually surprised to see people taking it at face value.

Dude's shit.
brutal
Bullshit. This is such a warped viewpoint, ugh.

You can't compare a show in its' fifth year with the fucking Academy Awards. The Oscars gets tax breaks and has the support of a near 100 year-old industry behind it. Not to mention they have the luxury of being broadcast on traditional TV where the Oscars is sold to a network who then makes profit on ad breaks. The reason TGA needs to have ads and game reveals is because it simply wouldn't be funded otherwise. It has nothing to do with some dark agenda to maintain the status quo.
there is no "dark agenda". it's pretty clear to anyone with a working brain that game developers are trying their best to pander to angry men as their core demographic. they're not exactly trying to hide it.