• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I'd never heard of Geoguessr till recently, but I happened to see someone streaming it on twitch a few weeks ago. The idea is that the browser based game drops you somewhere on google maps streetview and then you have to guess where you are. Since then I've had a lot of fun testing my knowledge and deduction skills using environmental clues and world knowledge to work out where on Earth the game has plonked me.

Unfortunately it seems that in the last day or so Geoguessr has put up a paywall around most of their content.

The thread below from twitter gives a low down, but to summarise, the cost of running has hugely increased, it relies on google map services which have seen their prices rocket in recent times. The example I see given is that API calls have gone from $1 per 1000 calls to $14.

The full thread can be clicked through to below.

It's a timely reminder that if you build your services off another companies data, then depending on how capricious and brutal that company is, you can see your legs swept away from under you.

As google has cornered the mapping market to such a large degree it's unlikely we'll see any other similar games, no-one but google has that quantity and quality of map data and streetview footage. I guess if I want to be able to play any more geoguessr I will have to throw them a buck or two to continue.

Last edited:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Well that sucks. I'm pretty sure GeoGuessr Wizard has a pro account, so this shouldn't affect his YouTube channel. At least not yet.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
That's unfortunate, but I understand. I hope it works out with them. Wonder if they could work out something with Google to lower their cost per call?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I just discovered this a few days ago and a had a blast. That's unfortunate, but understandable.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
do they really have a monopoly on expansive streetview data though? google used a bunch of cars driving on public roads and recorded a bunch of photos and footage. anyone else can do the same if they wanted to fund it.

that said, a 14x increase is pretty nuts