• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the message that voting for Biden will fix some of this, or is it just satisfying venting, just like the HBO comedy hour this is from?

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
love to see liberal faces when they find out hes talking about establishment dems too

Haha, yep. That's the only problem I have with the ad is it's far too focused on Republicans when obviously they are the worst political party but there is no doubt that most of the Democratic party needs to be put on blast as well.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might be have been made to take down Trump but it's gonna enable morons who like to yell at the top of their lungs that both parties are the same and it's all doom and glloom. Which is just a shallow excuse for political apathetism and not voting, usually to be a contrarian.

when-you-say-both-sides-are-idiots-without-any-further-opinion-or-explanation-iCAfp.jpg

Nov 11, 2017
This might be have been made to take down Trump but it's gonna enable morons who like to yell at the top of their lungs that both parties are the same and it's doom to gloom. All of which is ultimately is used for political apathetism and not voting, usually to be a contrarian.
I would say there there is a time for criticism of the entire political process in the US, it just isn't right now.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty much over that kind of broad, systemic criticism. I think it ended up working for the nutcase right (Alex Jones, pizzagate, Qanon etc.) more than the left, and Trump even presented himself as an outsider of the system that would "drain the swamp".

I don't know much about George Carlin though, but that's not the kind of message I'd use to encourage people to vote for Biden rather than Trump.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Carlin also didn't vote. As much as I adore Carlin, I don't know whether his ideology works in the way this ad wants it to.

Would have loved to hear his take on Trump though.

Oct 25, 2017

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Problem is Carlin bit was obviously targetting the whole political spectrum as a corrupt system, not just the Republicans. You can agree or not, and I think some democrats are challenging that system while Republicans revel in it, but that's really not his point. He's saying Americans don't have a choice because polititians are not the ones in control, they're just puppets.
Carlin was obviously leaning left, but had zero trust and confidence in the polititians being a force for progress.

So I'm not sure I feel confortable seeing this broad criticisim being twisted to make it appear as being specifically anti-republican or anti-Trump.

But that's just my two cents.

Edit: it's pretty obvious that if he was alive he would tear Trump a new asshole, but sadly we're never gonna have that.
Agreed completley.
You can disagree with Carlin, but this is using his words to promote something he explicitly didn't believe in.

This is the same dangerous line of thinking that led to the rise of QAnon. Don't promote this.

While it may be true, this is the message that lead to Trump getting votes in the first place (i.e. fake news, drain the swamp).
George Carlin leads to QAnon is a take, that's for sure.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Carlin's speech is operating on a completely different level than the purpose of the ad.

but I'm kinda oh well on it, anything to get this fascist fuck out of office

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
He was a prophet. You should watch his comedy concerts. Last I checked they are still on Amazon Video. He is funny as shit and often gets political. Its clear he hates Republicans.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Carlin was right, but not for the reasons people making this video think.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I kind of wonder how well this will work. Many of these people already think Carlin tells it like it is - in their favour. Most of what he is talking about is politicians which are not what Trump people think they voted for. Yeah, he mentions businessmen but they view Trump as an outlier. I doubt they would correlate what is being said to what is being shown. I can totally see how this might have the opposite effect and fire people up more FOR Trump.

Like, look at all these images of people you support, those democratic politician elite dick heads are trying to keep you from those people and what they want for you. Showing stuff like a bunch of confederate idiots holding guns in front of a flag or Trump kissing a baby or hugging the flag or something while sarcastically saying "home of the brave, land of the free". They likely aren't going to look at that as stupid propaganda like we would even with scary music over it. They are hearing words they like to hear and seeing people they like to see.

Remember, many of these people thought Stephen Colbert was a real conservative pundit and not doing it sarcastically.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Meh I don't like this ad. I don't think George Carlin's brand of know nothing cynicism is a compelling political argument at least for responsible government. It works as an anti-government, "drain the swamp" populism or "don't tread on me" libertarianism.

Cynicism and nihilism is what produces demagogues like Donald Trump and Victor Orban and Vladimir Putin. You tell everybody that they're owned, they have no agency, no control, it creates a sense of hopelessness that a demagogue like trump walks into to cheering masses, because he's from "outside the system"

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
You can play that audio to any red hat wearing Trumpist and they will agree with everything said only pointing the finger towards liberals, Soros and Bill Gates.

Exactly. The mix of clips of Jeff Bezos only reinforces this idea. Maga hat wearing people see Bezos and think: corrupt far leftist liberal San Francisco elitist who publishes anti-Trump lies in the Washington Post, an extremist anarchist leftist rag filled with fake news.

The audio from this is political stupidity. It's a more compelling argument for the conservative right than it is for the liberal left. If you believe that government has a role in making a more just society, this video isn't going to get you there.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Both parties have largely the same owners and donors. Need to clone AOC a few hundred times.

The ad targets Trump because he's the POTUS and most blatant proof of Carlin's words. GOP ain't even pretending anymore.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
hm yeah, this george carlin ad is pretty interesting, I wonder what he has to say about the topic

like, you guys do realize that he wasn't just talking about republicans here, right?

Oct 25, 2017
hm yeah, this george carlin ad is pretty interesting, I wonder what he has to say about the topic

like, you guys do realize that he wasn't just talking about republicans here, right?

Everyone here does. Though I get the impression some may not agree with him?

And I'm sure those who made the ad understand his intent, too, but just don't give a fuck.

Trump is in some ways an aberration, or at least the worst (so far) manifestation of a broken system, so it would have been interesting to hear Carlin's take on him.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. Regardless of what you think people should do (vote, not vote, call out one party, call out both parties...), that ad is such a misrepresentation of Carlin's beliefs. He'd probably hate that a party uses his words in the first place.

He didn't hate the Republicans specifically (though IIRC his politics leaned more to the left in general). He didn't hate "the bad ones". He hated the establishment and the system as a whole. The two-party system that kills political thought and alternatives. He hated the Republicans and the Democrats.

I have a very hard time imagining him outright supporting someone like Joe Biden, even against Trump - and to be clear, he'd hate Trump too. Alas, since he's no longer with us anymore, people will keep recuperating him or pretending that there is no real way to determine his broad political stances.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
His daughter has an active presence on Twitter if you were wondering what someone who knew him best thinks:

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
So who is the George Carlin of our time? (or Bill Hicks for that matter).

In other words their humor is rooted in sharp and insightful political and social commentary.

Oct 27, 2017
That rant is nondescript enough that it could just as well have been co-opted by the right and replace Fox footage with CNN.
Yep. Throw in a few democrats instead of republicans, replace the Koch brothers with Soros, keep *some* of the rich guys in, switch the june protests with the quarantine protests, use that photo of epstein and bill clinton. It would air on fox news next thing you know.

Good thing there's an endless bucket of actual, legit criticisms to make about trump and the GOP.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
For all the yea but this rant is both sides non sense.

There was a vote in the house this week to lower the Pentagon's budget by 10% ten. And only 60 people voted for it.

For every AOC as a rep theres literally 20 corporate dems to overwhelm her vote.

That said dems at present are the only party interested in actually governing.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Carlin was a comedian, I don't think you can use sketches to prove what he really felt on a level that didn't require making people laugh. There's probably a lot more nuance than everyone sucks.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a broad message that indicts the entire establishment, over a video that only focuses on one party. That's a sketchy thing to do.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
A little more insight from his daughter.

She's been tweeting a bit about her father this morning if you are interested in how she thinks he might have reacted today.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda weird to completely ignore what he's saying and use this solely as an attack on republicans. Then again I don't think I've ever seen an American political add that has sat right with me so 🤷🏾‍♂️

Ketch

Oct 25, 2017
If you watch this ad, hear this rant and think that it's on point, but don't think that it also 100% applies Democrats as well you should listen to it a couple more times.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Carlin shouldn't be used for political ads of any kind.

Miss the guy though 😔