• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
pretty sure Capcom also rereleased their DnD games twice as a reaction to DC. We won everything and i bought everything. It was a great time.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow company hurting for a big profit margin game (at the time) didnt care about extremely niche low selling game, shocking...
Beggars can't always be choosers either. Dragon's Crown sold 1 million WW which could have been a very good sales success for them, and there's hardly anything in Japan that could reach Monster Hunter's sales potential to begin with. That metric is a lot like investors or shareholders asking for a game that could reach Fortnite's level of success.

Oct 8, 2019
Oh, I thought this was one of those "missed opportunity due to misguided perception" type of scenarios.

Like how Samsung turned down buying Android because they thought no one would be using it.

Or how James Cameron turned down OJ Simpson playing the lead in "The Terminator" because he didn't "come across as a killer".

It is when you compare what Capcom was putting out at the time. Capcom lost a ton of money publishing Bionic Commando, they also put out a lot of mediocre stuff like Dark Void.

The point is that Dragon's Crown was a fairly low budget game that did pretty well, and made a profit relatively quickly.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Beggars can't always be choosers either. Dragon's Crown sold 1 million WW which could have been a very good sales success for them, and there's hardly anything in Japan that could reach Monster Hunter's sales potential to begin with. That metric is a lot like investors or shareholders asking for a game that could reach Fortnite's level of success.
Always amazed me how much it sold and the quality delivered on the shoestring budget.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Most games like this don't sell that well, I really like Dragon's Crown but just because it happened to hit it pretty big doesn't mean it would have been a good investment for Capcom necessarily

Also they should put it on Steam already.

Funny seeing people up in here thinking/pretending that the Capcom of today isn't just releasing 2 or 3 games a year, most of which are Resident Evil or Monster Hunter.

Funny seeing people pretending Capcom hadn't had a phenominal last couple of years. Yeah, they mostly focused on their hit franchises but they did take chances within those releases.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny seeing people pretending Capcom hadn't had a phenominal last couple of years. Yeah, they mostly focused on their hit franchises but they did take chances within those releases.
As if RE hadn't experimented before and split the fanbase between the horror lovers and arcade action lovers, or has always been one of their big cash cows like MH. The recent RE games have more or less been returning to its roots. MHW was the real big risk bringing it to consoles and it defying even the most optimistic expectations reaching 14m. DMC5 sold 2.7m, and while a success, is showing that it's mostly selling to previous fans of the series. Which is not at all a bad thing, mind you. Capcom could be an idiotic company in regards to selling to the same fanbase, like how they killed Mega Man for awhile.

Current Capcom is looking to be run just a tad better in regards to this and I imagine DMC6 will happen, and I want DMC6 to grow past DMC4. The series was actually growing until Capcom killed it for awhile because of DmC. One of the big problems Capcom had in the previous eras was them getting in the way of themselves (even like what this thread is about). Onimusha even used to be a big selling series on the PS2, similar to DMC and they killed it. They used to have a larger number of at least 1-2 million sellers before doing something majorly stupid that killed them off. Heck that's why MH has the reputation of always being most consistent Capcom series, as it has yet to make any stupid decisions that would kill it off.