• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Might as well turn into a Monster Hunter factory with that line of thinking.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
This seems even more odd since it would have been during the time when very few outside of japan cared about monster hunter, so its not like they were letting those MHW numbers go to their head.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
One of the greatest games of the previous generation. Shame on you, Capcom. šŸ˜ 

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This is the Capcom of early 2010s, who abandoned Megaman fans worldwide for a decent chunk of time and gave up on pushing one of their bigger brands at the time (Sengoku Basara was at its zenith around then) in the west because they fucked up the marketing. So... Sounds about right.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I really doubt someone said that in a meeting if their pitch for Dragon Crown held any resemblance to the final game.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
That moment when you realize Capcom fucked you over from getting an Amazon costume for Mika, and Sorceress outfit for Faulk/Poison:
ASsPMt8.gif

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
This is the Capcom of early 2010s, who abandoned Megaman fans worldwide for a decent chunk of time and gave up on pushing one of their bigger brands at the time (Sengoku Basara was at its zenith around then) in the west because they fucked up the marketing. So... Sounds about right.

Yep.

But based on the time frame, I'd bet Kamitani's recollection of events likely occurred when Inafune was still there. Being the former head of Capcom's R&D at that time, that likely would explain how and why this Wii concept got as far as it did before someone else higher up shot it down.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Considering that one of Dragon Crown's bosses is a nod to Capcom's own King of Dragons, I can't say that I'm entirely surprised by this.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yep.

But based on the time frame, I'd bet Kamitani's recollection of events likely occurred when Inafune was still there. Being the former head of Capcom's R&D at that time, that likely would explain how and why this Wii concept got as far as it did before someone else higher up shot it down.
Ah, so he probably got caught at the start of the bs train then... shame. :c

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I imagined an old school, white, cigar chomping, business man saying "but can it sell like Monster Hunter?"

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Capcom

I think they still think like that given their limited output

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like the bigger a company gets the higher the barrier is for being a worthwhile project across the board.

Glad it still got made despite this.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
And that was before MHW became the best selling capcom game ever.
If they still follow that directive, and they probably do, basically bye bye non big established capcom stuff.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This post basically nails it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Funny seeing people up in here thinking/pretending that the Capcom of today isn't just releasing 2 or 3 games a year, most of which are Resident Evil or Monster Hunter.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it WOULDN'T have sold very well if Capcom put it out. Especially not with the character designs looking the way they did.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
game is super niche so... it was the correct decision? Not sure what's to bash here.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus fucking christ. You would think they would see similarities between it and a franchise they once made.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Will it cost as much as Monster Hunter to make tho?
What kind of higher-up was that ?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If it was for the Wii, I'm not surprised it was skipped over. I don't recall Muramasa doing all that well on the Wii either.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that around this time Ubisoft was putting out stuff like Child of Light and Valiant Hearts. Shame they've killed that off.

Hopefully they'll go back to that sort of thing in their post Breakpoint introspection about their typical formula.

I mean, it WOULDN'T have sold very well if Capcom put it out. Especially not with the character designs looking the way they did.

I'm confused by this. What do you mean here?