• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-baseball-dismisses-sasser-baseball-uga-accused
Georgia has dismissed senior first baseman Adam Sasser in the aftermath of the school's Equal Opportunity Office investigation, according to a university release.

University of Georgia senior first baseman Adam Sasser has been dismissed from the Bulldog baseball team, according to J. Reid Parker Director of Athletics Greg McGarity and Ike Cousins head coach Scott Stricklin.

Sasser was part of an anti-discrimation/anti-harrassment case that involved alleged racial slurs at the Bulldogs' home football game against Tennessee on Saturday.
Georgia football coach Kirby Smart spoke out against the alleged incident on Tuesday.

"If what I read and heard is true, it's really unacceptable behavior that's not who we are at Georgia," Smart said. "We're trying to build a program on tolerance and mutual respect. You can't control what other people say, but the expectation is that people that are part of our program and come to our games share the same beliefs that we do.
Sasser was a second-team All-SEC pick last season. He helped lead Georgia to its first NCAA Tournament bid in five years last season, batting .317 with 10 home runs and 44 RBI.

Here's more context of the incident,
https://www.redandblack.com/uganews...cle_29bf1994-c672-11e8-91bd-93e3e31e9f79.html
The University of Georgia's Equal Opportunity Office is conducting an internal investigation of an incident that occurred at this past Saturday's football game where a Georgia baseball player allegedly yelled a racial slur several times in reference to a football player.
Africa Buggs, a junior political science and psychology major, was with Gulebian when their group started hearing the derogatory remarks. She said after quarterback Jake Fromm threw an incomplete pass, the accused student who then yelled the N-word in an apparent reference to second string quarterback Justin Fields, who he reportedly wanted to be put back in the game.

Buggs said after the accused student used the same phrase more than once and was repeatedly asked to stop by Buggs and her friends, Gulebian asked a UGAPD officer to intervene. The student was able to return to the game after briefly speaking with the officer, Buggs said.
"Instead of calling Fields by his name, he decided to use a racial slur that he himself, and all his friends that [sat] by and laughed, knows is wrong," Buggs said. "I was angry that he said it, angry that no one else said anything to him but us and angry that in 2018 people are still too ignorant to know that this is not OK."

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I can't help but feel as though he was only dismissed because he insulted a member of the football team. Were the person he called a nigger one of the average students he'd just be suspended at best.

Don't mess with the football team at a football school.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I can't help but feel as though he was only dismissed because he insulted a member of the football team. Were the person he called a nigger one of the average students he'd just be suspended at best.

Part of me wonders if he will eventually end up with a MLB team in the future, even if it's just in the minors, and then once he gets to the majors, they'll bring up this incident, it'll be talked about for a couple of weeks, then everyone will just chalk it up to boys being boys, and forget about it.

Seems to be the pattern for many of the recent white players that have had their past racist, homophobic, and other disgusting pasts revealed.

So many things to think about here...

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

Depends how good he is. Baseball is the hardest of the major sports. If he is even a mediocre player, they probably dump him over close to a decade of development.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Part of me wonders if he will eventually end up with a MLB team in the future, even if it's just in the minors, and then once he gets to the majors, they'll bring up this incident, it'll be talked about for a couple of weeks, then everyone will just chalk it up to boys being boys, and forget about it.

Seems to be the pattern for many of the recent white players that have had their past racist, homophobic, and other disgusting pasts revealed.

So many things to think about here...
If he's as good as I am assuming (not a baseball fan) then that's exactly what will happen. He may be unpunished in the long run.

What makes people think this kind of behavior is okay?

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Riley Cooper went on and played a few more years after using the N word. It is unlikely to have much of an impact

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah no way was the school gonna let this slide Justin Fields was the number 1 or 2 ranked high school player in the nation and they are having the same issues Alabama and Clemson had where the incumbent starter is not as good as the 5 star recruit they brought in. Now if Justin fields was not the 5 star recruit super QB the school probably would have just suspended the guy.