• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
German carmakers Daimler (DAIGn.DE) BMW (BMWG.DE) and Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) on Saturday denounced a scientific experiment which exposed monkeys to toxic diesel fumes, the latest aftershock from an exhaust-rigging scandal rocking the auto industry.

The New York Times on Friday said German carmakers had used the European Research Group on Environment and Health in the Transport Sector, also known as EUGT, to commission a study designed to defend the use of diesel following revelations that the fuel's exhaust fumes were carcinogenic.

The EUGT commissioned the Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute (LRRI) in Albuquerque, New Mexico, which then designed an experiment where monkeys squatted in airtight chambers, inhaling fumes from a diesel Volkswagen Beetle, the New York Times reported.

EUGT received all of its funding from Volkswagen, Daimler and BMW, the New York Times said. It remains unclear whether the carmakers were aware of monkeys being used in the experiments conducted by EUGT.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...993a&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Wtf at this testing

Keyboard

NYT article in question: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/25/world/europe/volkswagen-diesel-emissions-monkeys.html
In 2014, as evidence mounted about the harmful effects of diesel exhaust on human health, scientists in an Albuquerque laboratory conducted an unusual experiment: Ten monkeys squatted in airtight chambers, watching cartoons for entertainment as they inhaled fumes from a diesel Volkswagen Beetle.

German automakers had financed the experiment in an attempt to prove that diesel vehicles with the latest technology were cleaner than the smoky models of old. But the American scientists conducting the test were unaware of one critical fact: The Beetle provided by Volkswagen had been rigged to produce pollution levels that were far less harmful in the lab than they were on the road.

The results were being deliberately manipulated.
Diesel advocates kept saying diesel burns cleaner than traditional gas, but we know that's not true any more.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Experiments involving toxic gas on live subjects in airtight chambers should give anyone pause but you'd think German industrialists would be especially sensitive to the concept.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
Using primates for something like this is disgusting. Why would you need living animals for such experiments in the first place?

BdoUK

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
This is touched on in the last few minutes of the first episode of the Netflix series Dirty Money. It covers the VW diesel scandal and is highly recommended viewing. Second episode related to payday lending mogul Scott Tucker is also excellent.

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
This is touched on in the last few minutes of the first episode of the Netflix series Dirty Money. It covers the VW diesel scandal and is highly recommended viewing. Second episode related to payday lending mogul Scott Tucker is also excellent.

I finished this just today. Really good stuff. I hope it's an ongoing series for Gibney.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a few years ago i would have applauded them but at this point all i can see is hypocracy.. probably they dont like that its being shown that diesel isnt the green resource they claimed it would be. i dont think any of these companies care about the holocaust imagery..

remember that volkswagen has its roots with hitler (kraft durch freude) and that goebbels marrid the wife of a member of the owner family of bmw. all of these companies used slave labor from jews that have been put in concentration camps.