• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Shiny Meltan are now officially available to get in Pokemon GO for the next month. This is the first time that they've been revealed and apparently the wait time for Mystery Boxes via Let's Go will also be reduced.
pokemon-go-shiny-meltan-169.jpg

Since the launch of Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!on November 16, 2018, Trainers have been busy transferring Pokémon fromPokémon GO into these games! To show our appreciation, a Shiny version of the Mythical Pokémon Meltan will appear in Pokémon GO for a limited time. A Shiny version of this Pokémon has never been seen...until now. The Shiny version has a slightly darker face than normal, as well as a blue tail instead of the usual red.

Meltan is a rare Pokémon that appears only when a Mystery Box is used in Pokémon GO. In turn, a Mystery Box can be obtained only by linking Pokémon GO with Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! or Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! Use your Mystery Box anytime Tuesday, February 5, 2019, through Monday, March 4, 2019, for the chance to catch Shiny Meltan. And it seems as if the time players have to wait between Mystery Box uses might get reduced, too!

For those wondering how the heck can you get a Mystery Box, well it's simplish!
How to catch Meltan in Pokémon Go using the Mystery Box
Want to catch a Meltan before the 'Let's Go, Meltan' quest is complete, or simply more to help you evolve into Melmetal? Then you'll need a copy of Pokémon Let's Go on Nintendo Switch.

There are several steps involved, so here's a step-by-step explanation.

How to catch Meltan in Pokémon Go using Pokémon Let's Go
  1. Connect your Pokémon Go account to a Nintendo Switch copy of Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee.
  2. Transfer a Pokémon from Pokémon Go to Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu or Eevee. (The Let's Go account needs to have reached the Go Park in Fuchsia City to do this, which is about three quarters of the way through Let's Go's story.)
  3. As soon as you do so, you'll be given an item in Pokémon Go called the Mystery Box.
  4. Select the Mystery Box in your items menu and open it when you're ready. This will cause Meltan to spawn around you for 30 minutes.
  5. Catch as many Meltan as you can, and don't forget to use Pinap Berries on every one, as you're going to need that Candy!
  6. You can only do this a maximum of once per week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Also as far as I was told, if you want to get a Melmetal in Let's Go, you need to evolve your Meltan first in GO. So don't transfer it til then!

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So If I use the mistery box now there Will be a chance of a shiny Meltan appears or it hasn't started yet?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
The first method (completing the special research) nets you a single Meltan, not a mystery box. It's also nigh impossible to complete if you haven't done so already, as many wild catches it requires aren't spawning right now.

So If I use the mistery box now there Will be a chance of a shiny Meltan appears or it hasn't started yet?
Event is live as of half an hour ago. Open away.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first method (completing the special research) nets you a single Meltan, not a mystery box. It's also nigh impossible to complete if you haven't done so already, as many wild catches it requires aren't spawning right now.

Event is live as of half an hour ago. Open away.

Oh thanks. This is great.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Fixed it sorry! Never got a Meltan before so this is actually all new to me haha. I thought I had to do the Let's Go, Meltan thing which is super hard.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh I will pass, I am still not a fan of the grinding to evolve to Melmetal or the fact that it can only be done in Go.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I still need to reach GO park in Let's Go so I can start doing the boxes. Hopefully I'll get there this weekend.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
First box down, 0/18. This first box courtesy of a friend but currently trying to squeeze in a Let's Go Eevee playthrough so I can get myself more boxes.

I may be spending an inordinate amount of time just patting Eevee on the head

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So apparently I still have to wait out the original box timer before the 3 day timer starts since I opened my box on Monday. Pretty stupid.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Zero shiny from my first box, now to wait to see if I do better in three days.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Hey this is convenient timing considering I have 350ish Meltan candies, shiny Melmetal I will have you...

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything surrounding this Pokemon is cancer. Fingers crossed this is the only time a Pokemon will be Go exclusive. And I pray Meltan will be wildly available (and evolvable) in gen 8.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I would, if the damn Bluetooth connection between the app and the Switch ever, ever worked :/. I've done it successfully maybe twice.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I would, if the damn Bluetooth connection between the app and the Switch ever, ever worked :/. I've done it successfully maybe twice.
I honestly have no clue what the issue is but my Switch has never been paired with Bluetooth anything (I literally only took it out of the box to do this event alone) and the pairing process has worked flawlessly for my phone and all my coworkers' phones. If you have any device paired maybe try removing the pairing from the system menu before trying it in Let's Go.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this another one of your crazy ideas, Todd?
Listen. I've been going over the research, and we found out that people like Pokemon, but there is no Pokemon Centers in town. What if we open a store for Pokemon fans for the month of February! Wouldn't that be so amazing! And we will give out free Meltan's and Melmetal's so people dont need to play Pokemon Go anymore. Because who needs all that exercising? That's right only celebrities.

So whose with me? Let's open a Pokemon Center that's only open in February! And we'll build it on Hollywoo *someone whispers into my ear*. Okay Hollywoo is full of too many celebrities, so we'll build the Pokemon Center in uh, Detroit or somethin...?

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

This right here is the most annoying part. I tried for two days to get mine to pair last time. Eventually took it to work and did it. Crazy that the switch can't find a device like this. My apartment building has about a dozen other wireless devices around it, my phone, speaker, and other devices work, but not the switch -eyeroll-

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't have LG but a friend gave me a Meltan box, I only got a shiny within the last minute before it ran out.
I really enjoy playing Pokemon go, but don't understand what the appeal of having a shiny Pokemon is. Can someone explain it to me?
You don't want a purple of green version of a regular pokemon?

Heh anyway, it's usually just because it's more rare and unique, and sometimes the new colour is nicer (usually not though). That's all.

hergipotter

Oct 28, 2017
Little bit off topic but surely there has to be a Pokémon Go OT or something of sorts, right? Can't find it with the search, can someone help me out?

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The polar vortex got me out of the habit of playing this game, but I do kind of miss it. It's just a tough sell with ice and snow everywhere.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it will be available to transfer to Gen 8 it's pointless to me.
I don't see why it wouldn't be..?

Assuming they allow transfers from Let's Go into whatever gen 8 ends up becoming, Meltans caught in GO can be sent into Let's Go. (In fact, this is currently the only way to obtain them in Let's Go.)

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
This hunt for a shiny Meltan has been so frustrating even after the 7.0.1 update. Anytime I want to connect my phone to my Switch; I have to run around the house to find and turn off any wearable devices like a Fitbit in order to have a chance of getting the two to connect for a Mystery Box.

It takes up to a half an hour of constantly attempting to connect before it finally does. I really wish Niantic/Nintendo would just bake a version of Pokemon Go into Pokemon Let's Go and avoid this entire headache.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
This hunt for a shiny Meltan has been so frustrating even after the 7.0.1 update. Anytime I want to connect my phone to my Switch; I have to run around the house to find and turn off any wearable devices like a Fitbit in order to have a chance of getting the two to connect for a Mystery Box.

It takes up to a half an hour of constantly attempting to connect before it finally does. I really wish Niantic/Nintendo would just bake a version of Pokemon Go into Pokemon Let's Go and avoid this entire headache.
Wouldn't it be easier to just link the two away from home? The Switch doesn't have to be online for it to work (which is probably the whole reason it uses Bluetooth instead of doing the transfer over the internet).

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't it be easier to just link the two away from home? The Switch doesn't have to be online for it to work (which is probably the whole reason it uses Bluetooth instead of doing the transfer over the internet).
I never thought about linking outside the home since my Switch never leaves the house. It would still be a better solution if the Switch game just had a sign on for Pokemon Go and allowed the transfer with using just the Switch to avoid the issues of wireless interference.