• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Summer 2018 japan. Fall 2018 else where. 26 episodes.
Details here
Baki the Grappler's 25th anniversary returns with a new series being animated on Netflix.

Looks like I see the prisoners from "New Grappler Baki: In Search of Our Strongest Hero" or just plain BAKI shown in this as its source material. PLUS we may have gotten a split second tease that Baki dou material could be included what with all the gene stuff being shown which could be a hint towards the Miyamoto Musashi arc and to my knowledge these chapters have never had an animated adaptation. Get ready to see some insane over the top violent stories of martial arts with no general concern for medical science.

Shits about to get real.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
This is a question from someone who has no knowledge of this manga/anime.
Do I need to read the manga/watch the previous anime to watch this?

Oct 25, 2017
Baki is getting a pure 2-D animation, and a top-notch manga Kengan Asura is getting a fucking low budget, Beserks-quality of 3D animation, lmao. What a time to be alive.

But I'd hold on my judgement before it comes out.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everything I've seen from this franchise basically makes it look like "Rob Liefeld: The Anime."

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Th first anime movie I ever watched was the Baki Ultimate Fighter Movie , shit was amazing to watch as a kid

This film was actually my first exposure to Baki. It was pretty nuts with the cord cutting style of martial arts and junk. Had no idea on the history of Baki, Yujiro Hanma, and all the crew. Blew my mind to find out that who Baki fought in that film was just one in a tournament and a relative jobber-tier dude by Baki standards. The stuff people do in this series is nuts. Biscuit Oliva was a crazy thing to read. Dude kept treating his skin with saltwater till it was tanned and hardened like cured leather so it'd work for armor and worked out and consumed crazy amounts. Ridiculous strength (like hulk shit or something) and was essentially a king in prison so powerful that he was unofficially employed by the penal institution to help them bring in fugitives and in return he got whatever he asked for while in prison. Thing was it was more like a courtesy he did anything in prison. He got what he wanted regardless of if he helped because he terrified them. He was essentially unchained which was he nickname. A guy who could come and go as he pleased even while incarcerated and who was in charge not by brutally abusing folks or thru violence but just by his sheer existence terrifying them to the point of catering to him. Sweet thing was he only ever got strong because he loved a woman with all his heart and when she got sick the treatments she took caused her to put on huge amounts of weight and messed up her metabolism. He still wanted to be able to carry her and hold her and never feel less than the goddess she was to him. Dude was all smiles and love for her and was generally pleasant to everyone. He was also an absolute monster of strength who loved to be challenged. He existed as a statement that against certain levels of strength technique loses meaning. He was a very scary concept.
EfNrw0W.jpg

God damn this series had some crazy cast. The intimidation factor and zen-like serenity some of these monsters existed in knowing in full confidence that they were unchallenge-able by normal society was some of the scariest things. Folks knew without knowing them to stand back, not act threatening, and not to challenge them...because they just instinctively knew that if a Baki series fighter was walking calmly thru he was existing hoping that someone out there might challenge him so that he could maybe have a chance to enjoy for a few brief seconds the skills that made their entire life have purpose. The cast is terrifying in how eager and happy they are to go in on folks. They are incredibly happy and thankful for opportunities to have the kind of fights that usually end in dismemberment, paralysis or death because its the only moments they feel alive and get to fully experience themselves living for the monstrously dedicated fighters they are.

God I love this series.

Last edited:

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy. I watched the anime a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It's even better if you're into MMA and Pro Wrestling. I've been waiting years for a follow up.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
HELL YEAH! I can't wait for this shit. I'm actually going through the original anime again now, and I'm waiting on a Baki Figuarts Zero figure I got, to go with the Yujiro I got a few years back. I have no clue how many times I've rewatched the series. Grappler Baki is my greatest guilty pleasure. I absolutely love it.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those videos have a mix of kyokushin karate, kickboxing and pressure point chinese inspired fighting. Is there any actual grappling in the series or is it only a title?

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Can English readers/watchers even understand what's happening in Baki?. Isn't the original manga not even fully scanlated?.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Baki is crazy fun and the prisoner arc was my introduction to the series. I was awe struck and wanted more. Currently kengan ashua is also one im following.

Hell in reading a thai version of it even though i cant read it cause its so good

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Those videos have a mix of kyokushin karate, kickboxing and pressure point chinese inspired fighting. Is there any actual grappling in the series or is it only a title?
Oh yes. Yes indeed. Their was a short lived catch wrestler in one of the OVA tourney matches, and you see stuff like triangle holds, armbars and other stuff come up. I'm honestly waiting for them to make a character off of the crazy Zack Sabre Jr like grapplers in real life to showcase someone driven at chaining holds together...I honestly felt the catch wrestler character should have had a bigger part and racked up some wins. Some stuff surprises you in this. It occassionally has folks show up that exist to show that sometimes technique aint as powerful as toughness or in some cases just overwhelming strength. Some folks show up technical as fuck and get bodied. Some folks though are surgeons in a fight. Some don't know how to fight...only how to kill and that is a very very different artform that causes serious questions about the definition of "who is the strongest and what exactly is how you define strength?" It questions whether or not someone who fights using rules in a formatted manner is truly strong compared to someone who fights without rules anytime anywhere.

Its a great series.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes. Yes indeed. Their was a short lived catch wrestler in one of the OVA tourney matches, and you see stuff like triangle holds, armbars and other stuff come up. I'm honestly waiting for them to make a character off of the crazy Zack Sabre Jr like grapplers in real life to showcase someone driven at chaining holds together...I honestly felt the catch wrestler character should have had a bigger part and racked up some wins. Some stuff surprises you in this. It occassionally has folks show up that exist to show that sometimes technique aint as powerful as toughness or in some cases just overwhelming strength. Some folks show up technical as fuck and get bodied. Some folks though are surgeons in a fight. Some don't know how to fight...only how to kill and that is a very very different artform that causes serious questions about the definition of "who is the strongest and what exactly is how you define strength?" It questions whether or not someone who fights using rules in a formatted manner is truly strong compared to someone who fights without rules anytime anywhere.

Its a great series.

This sounds amazing and dumb in all the best ways... I wont really check out the old one (no time) but I will keep my eyes up for this new series

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theres a roided up half canadian half japanese uberman who kidnaps a baby polar bear to goad its mother into fighting him just for training. Same man fight kissed a prehistoric man in a contest to see who had stronger jaws (no homo)

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a roided up half canadian half japanese uberman who kidnaps a baby polar bear to goad its mother into fighting him just for training. Same man fight kissed a prehistoric man in a contest to see who had stronger jaws (no homo)

3979057-oliva.png

You gotta be very comfortable with homoeroticism to enjoy Baki. I swear, dude's be having bedroom eyes when fighting each other lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Never forget the absolute craziness of Musashi either. Dude has a completely detached sense of the world around him as if only curious about any damage he takes or violence he deals out. He is completely consumed by his art with the sword. Carve a hole in his face and then beat him with a chain? He'd just logically take the easiest path to check his loose back teeth...by gouging his own fingers through the hole in his face to see how lose you got his teeth as a means to judge how decent a job was done by his opponent. Folks literally can tell upon being near him that in his mind he has already spotted where the openings to cut a killing blow are. So intense is his fixation folks literally feel a jolt as if they were cut by him. He unnerves the shit out of people with how intense his focus is on that. Only guy to stand on equal footing with Yujiro Hanma in many many ways.

4vrE6hP.jpg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Why does everybody have this subtle yet creepy smile-

This film was actually my first exposure to Baki. It was pretty nuts with the cord cutting style of martial arts and junk. Had no idea on the history of Baki, Yujiro Hanma, and all the crew. Blew my mind to find out that who Baki fought in that film was just one in a tournament and a relative jobber-tier dude by Baki standards. The stuff people do in this series is nuts. Biscuit Oliva was a crazy thing to read. Dude kept treating his skin with saltwater till it was tanned and hardened like cured leather so it'd work for armor and worked out and consumed crazy amounts. Ridiculous strength (like hulk shit or something) and was essentially a king in prison so powerful that he was unofficially employed by the penal institution to help them bring in fugitives and in return he got whatever he asked for while in prison. Thing was it was more like a courtesy he did anything in prison. He got what he wanted regardless of if he helped because he terrified them. He was essentially unchained which was he nickname. A guy who could come and go as he pleased even while incarcerated and who was in charge not by brutally abusing folks or thru violence but just by his sheer existence terrifying them to the point of catering to him. Sweet thing was he only ever got strong because he loved a woman with all his heart and when she got sick the treatments she took caused her to put on huge amounts of weight and messed up her metabolism. He still wanted to be able to carry her and hold her and never feel less than the goddess she was to him. Dude was all smiles and love for her and was generally pleasant to everyone. He was also an absolute monster of strength who loved to be challenged. He existed as a statement that against certain levels of strength technique loses meaning. He was a very scary concept.
EfNrw0W.jpg

God damn this series had some crazy cast. The intimidation factor and zen-like serenity some of these monsters existed in knowing in full confidence that they were unchallenge-able by normal society was some of the scariest things. Folks knew without knowing them to stand back, not act threatening, and not to challenge them...because they just instinctively knew that if a Baki series fighter was walking calmly thru he was existing hoping that someone out there might challenge him so that he could maybe have a chance to enjoy for a few brief seconds the skills that made their entire life have purpose. The cast is terrifying in how eager and happy they are to go in on folks. They are incredibly happy and thankful for opportunities to have the kind of fights that usually end in dismemberment, paralysis or death because its the only moments they feel alive and get to fully experience themselves living for the monstrously dedicated fighters they are.

God I love this series.

I see.

And you are saying I have 25 years of this to check out?

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Why does everybody have this subtle yet creepy smile-

I see.

And you are saying I have 25 years of this to check out?
And its ongoing. Its an amazing thing. You literally get to watch this guy take on and train and try to face monster after monster. You never feel like "when will they reach the island!" or anything though. Everything feels great. Not drawn out and delayed for the sake of delaying it. Just every thought on strength, fighting and the types of fighters that exist come into play and get fully explored. Its great all the way through and it still is. I'm currently wanting someone to get around to the Baki dou chapters 138 to 168 that are missing from translation so far. Everything before that though...it exists. Go read!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm basically waiting for aliens to invade in the Baki universe and then they challenge everyone to a martial arts fight using their alien super fighting skills.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Give him time. His visualization training has left him training vs some crazy things before.
mL2z4AE.jpg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
And its ongoing. Its an amazing thing. You literally get to watch this guy take on and train and try to face monster after monster. You never feel like "when will they reach the island!" or anything though. Everything feels great. Not drawn out and delayed for the sake of delaying it. Just every thought on strength, fighting and the types of fighters that exist come into play and get fully explored. Its great all the way through and it still is. I'm currently wanting someone to get around to the Baki dou chapters 138 to 168 that are missing from translation so far. Everything before that though...it exists. Go read!

Oh god. I didn't finish reading this post. Why... Why didn't I read!!!
I've hit the wall. What happens? They stopped translating HERE??? Why would they do this?

If only I could go back to the bliss of ignorance!!!!

This was really, fun, Its' particularly neat for me, cause as I'm reading this I'm seeing all the parodies of sports characters that were huge deals when I was growing up. Of course they usually get hilariously murderated shortly after being introduced, but still it's fun seeing them.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Someone itt said Baki reminded them of liefeld and while I think that's a big discredit toward Baki I do want to say they're on the same spectrum somewhat.
Liefeld has no respect for anatomy.
Baki has too much respect for anatomy.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully, it's just as ridiculous as the anime I watched. Still remember the first episode I saw was Baki fighting a gorilla in the mountains or something like that, absolutely hilarious. Then there was that massive guy who looked like he was in his 40's but he was actually only 19, it's all brilliant tbh.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grappler Baki is able to out do Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in terms of weird and crazy shit that occurs

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fking pickle arc is a masterpiece.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grappler Baki is able to out do Jojo's Bizarre Adventure in terms of weird and crazy shit that occurs

I adore JoJo, but part of it's allure is in it's title. It's Bizzare. It works and you accept it. But with what I've read of Baki, it's weird super dumb shit, but it's really good and you're like "Yeah, this guy totally drinks fire, and toughens his asshole by eating roses and shitting out the thorns, no way he can be beat." and it sells you on the most ludicrous training and and fights. I love it.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1374358701508.jpg

One of the manliest moments in the manga

** Note, the prehistoric man is wearing a loincloth, NOT NAKED**

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To clarify my earlier statement Baki is far more grounded than Jojo in that there are no reality warping psychic powers or uber charismatic vampires. However Baki takes everything physically possible by the human body and material arts skills and takes it to 11 then times that by 11. The fights are based on reality but go so far with ideas be they mastering a martial art to incredible degrees or strength training to the point of madness that the craziest shit happening is just accepted. This is a story where one dude won the Vietnam War and made every US President after the fact his personal bitch

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing about Baki is the author can draw totally normal looking humans but loves drawing the totally overdone versions.