• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
Can English readers/watchers even understand what's happening in Baki?. Isn't the original manga not even fully scanlated?.

From what I've gathered, the anime adapts most of the original manga (which is currently getting translated).

New Grappler Baki is next (which is fully translated), then Baki: Son of Ogre (which I believe is also fully translated?), and finally the recent Baki-dou (which is still being published).

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Yo, that trailer with all the "beasts" going HAM on a series of increasingly fucked security guards, this show is gonna be on some

669329.1.high.jpg

type shit, lmao...

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
So happy to hear this. Baki was the last anime I watched until the end. It bugged me that it never finished.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Hype! Netflix is not playing around. Hopefully this trend classic resurrection continues. Where are you Golgo 13, and Guyver?

Hopefully the Chinese market is paying attention because I got into Grappler because my love for Jademan comics. I'm sure a series based off their old stable I.e. Dragon Tiger Gate, A Man Called Hero would find success in the medium.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
WTF is all of this. Is this the MMA anime we never got? Can I start with this Netflix series? Is Baki popular in Japan?

I liked the corny-ness of JoJo but I found the focus on the super natural to be less interesting. If this is grounded in Martial Arts I dont mind its over the top.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Hype! Netflix is not playing around. Hopefully this trend classic resurrection continues. Where are you Golgo 13, and Guyver?

Hopefully the Chinese market is paying attention because I got into Grappler because my love for Jademan comics. I'm sure a series based off their old stable I.e. Dragon Tiger Gate, A Man Called Hero would find success in the medium.
You love jademan? We are now bros. Saint Legend was my jam. So sad the comics one translations died off fast before they finished anything.

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
The genetic stuff could be hinting towards Pickle. I mean, they have the Prisoner, Kaiou Tournament, Black Pentagon and Pickle Arcs to go through. That's more than enough material as is.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
I recall seeing pictures of Saint Legend but never read it, but that being said any fan of the Jademan manhua......

landscape-1457975259-armwrestle.gif

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nice Baki was really fun. That the anime ended so abrupt has always bothered me. I want to know if he can finally beat his worst-dad-in-history father.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have an idea how many episodes this is going to be? 12/13 or a full 26? Or hell are they going all out and doing like 50?

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm rewatching the Maximum Tournament arc now, and this shit is honestly right behind the Dark Tournament for me. The way individual fighters are hyped up is soooo good. The old anime series rises above it's subpar animation, art, and censorship, because the source material is so damn entertaining inherently.

I'm so happy that we're finally seeing an animated continuation. The ending for the original anime just gives you blue balls lmao.

Oct 25, 2017
This film was actually my first exposure to Baki. It was pretty nuts with the cord cutting style of martial arts and junk. Had no idea on the history of Baki, Yujiro Hanma, and all the crew. Blew my mind to find out that who Baki fought in that film was just one in a tournament and a relative jobber-tier dude by Baki standards. The stuff people do in this series is nuts. Biscuit Oliva was a crazy thing to read. Dude kept treating his skin with saltwater till it was tanned and hardened like cured leather so it'd work for armor and worked out and consumed crazy amounts. Ridiculous strength (like hulk shit or something) and was essentially a king in prison so powerful that he was unofficially employed by the penal institution to help them bring in fugitives and in return he got whatever he asked for while in prison. Thing was it was more like a courtesy he did anything in prison. He got what he wanted regardless of if he helped because he terrified them. He was essentially unchained which was he nickname. A guy who could come and go as he pleased even while incarcerated and who was in charge not by brutally abusing folks or thru violence but just by his sheer existence terrifying them to the point of catering to him. Sweet thing was he only ever got strong because he loved a woman with all his heart and when she got sick the treatments she took caused her to put on huge amounts of weight and messed up her metabolism. He still wanted to be able to carry her and hold her and never feel less than the goddess she was to him. Dude was all smiles and love for her and was generally pleasant to everyone. He was also an absolute monster of strength who loved to be challenged. He existed as a statement that against certain levels of strength technique loses meaning. He was a very scary concept.
EfNrw0W.jpg

God damn this series had some crazy cast. The intimidation factor and zen-like serenity some of these monsters existed in knowing in full confidence that they were unchallenge-able by normal society was some of the scariest things. Folks knew without knowing them to stand back, not act threatening, and not to challenge them...because they just instinctively knew that if a Baki series fighter was walking calmly thru he was existing hoping that someone out there might challenge him so that he could maybe have a chance to enjoy for a few brief seconds the skills that made their entire life have purpose. The cast is terrifying in how eager and happy they are to go in on folks. They are incredibly happy and thankful for opportunities to have the kind of fights that usually end in dismemberment, paralysis or death because its the only moments they feel alive and get to fully experience themselves living for the monstrously dedicated fighters they are.

God I love this series.

Lol, i've always known about Baki but never really gave it a second thought. This post is amazing tho and makes me want to check it out.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dropped the manga because Yujiro is so OP nobody can even come close to him. That and the pacing is glacial. This entire last arc was literally nothing happened the manga.

Cor

Oct 25, 2017
so... uh... why are there no women whatsoever in the trailers?
obviously this thing must have *some* female characters, yes? at least one female grappler? cant possibly be a pure sausage fest.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
looks good but for a martial arts fighting series the fight animations really are the most important
just give us good sakuga and i'll watch this shit

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anything about this, but more violent high budget anime in netflix are always welcome!

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This arc was what got me into baki. I went in this arc without knowing about the series. Its was cray

Space Cobra

Oct 30, 2017
Looking good. Happy they didn't make it CG or something. Only bits and pieces of these trailers look familiar though(Granted it's been a long while since I read these). Is this a remixed ver of the convict arc?

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just watched the first two episodes.
It was super hype to me :)
Love the insanity, direction, art and violence.
The animations are often limited, but they get buffed up with some nice effects and nicely deliver the impact of forces and moves.

I never really watched the various anime adaptions and never read the manga, so I don't know how happy the baki fans are, but I'm highly entertained by the new show!

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
If it 26 episodes I guess this covers the prisoners arc, which is pretty good mostly with how incredibly violent it is. I think the chinese tournament arc after that is better though.