• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been watching the fan subs, will be rewatching the official Netflix version now!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retsu is one of my favorite characters in the series. He's got some of my favorite moments and is overall just a cool as a cat bad ass. I was pissed what happened to him after he fought Pickle.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
This and the boxer arc are the last before it jumped the shark with baki vs the warriors of the past. Shit is great. Can't wait to see the whip in action and the bullet scene.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Let's just say the fighting techniques range from somewhat based in reality to complete bullshit (leaning more towards the latter most of the time, although it's doing that JoJo thing of playing it straight and explaining all the techniques as if they were real), so you don't need to be a fan of combat sports to enjoy it haha

Last edited:

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And we finally got to the part where Yujiro breaks Kayfabe to compliment and pay his respects to Muhammad Ali for all his fights outside of the boxing ring as much as in. Such a weird moment and certainly a bit hamfisted but its cool to see an anime (or manga at that) referencing the civil rights movement or black history.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
Friendly reminder, Baki is available right now on Netflix.

QWRoN2s.jpg

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
I've been aware of Baki for years but I've never dived into it.

What's the best place to start on the anime front? Is this series a good place to start?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What's the best place to start on the anime front? Is this series a good place to start?

This technically the third season even if it comes out far after the first two. Those two series cover the start of the story and the first big tournament.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
Been waiting for this ever since two of my friends showed me some (very badly subbed) fights and clips. It bothers me a little to jump into this without the full context of what happened before, but oh well. Finished first two eps earlier, I like switching between the English, Japanese, and Spanish dubs every so often, really dig English Baki, dude sounds so fucking cocky lol

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been waiting for this ever since two of my friends showed me some (very badly subbed) fights and clips. It bothers me a little to jump into this without the full context of what happened before, but oh well. Finished first two eps earlier, I like switching between the English, Japanese, and Spanish dubs every so often, really dig English Baki, dude sounds so fucking cocky lol

You can find the earlier seasons out there and they are somewhat important as a lot of characters are introduced and fleshed out that are just presented at face value in this season. The show does a good job of catching you up on who characters are but it lacks a lot of context especially when certain big name characters show up.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
You can find the earlier seasons out there and they are somewhat important as a lot of characters are introduced and fleshed out that are just presented at face value in this season. The show does a good job of catching you up on who characters are but it lacks a lot of context especially when certain big name characters show up.
I was somewhat reluctant on checking out the previous adaptations cause I was worried the subs would be ass, but I just started watching the first OVA and so far so good, hopefully it'll be the same case for S1&2 of the anime.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The netflix show is honestly a fine place to start. There might be some story stuff you don't get. But the story really isn't the point of Baki imo.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The netflix show is honestly a fine place to start. There might be some story stuff you don't get. But the story really isn't the point of Baki imo.

This is a terrible advice.
There are very good reasons that explain why Baki isnt your usual shonen main character. You are spoiling yourself if you jump straight to season 3.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most important thing to know is Yujiro is Bakis Dad and Primary villain is the strongest person in Baki by a fucking enormous margin. Yujiro is basically invincible. No person, no army, can even even so much as scratch him. Guy soloed the US army at the age of 16, stops Earthquakes with a punch, etc. No other person in the series is even 1/1000th as strong as him.

There are very good reasons that explain why Baki isnt your usual shonen main character. You are spoiling yourself if you jump straight to season 3.

No, he's basically Goku. He's a fighting junkie that isn't an idiot. He's the weakest part of this series.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I need that next season of Baki like NOW. Can't wait for the Chinese Kaioh Tournament, and the Black Pentagon arc. Watching this shit has been absolutely delightful.

For any newbies looking to start Baki, I recommend reading or watching the previous parts of the series first. While this is a pretty great place to jump in, I think you would be doing yourself a disservice by not experiencing all that content. Baki has been my greatest guilty pleasure in anime/manga for YEARS. It was an absolute a joy to watch and read. The Maximum Tournament is easily one of my all time favorite tourneys, even with the subpar animation!

Baki is just unbelievably fun, and I'm happy the Netflix adaptation captured that feeling so well.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Baki is basically a manga/anime about portraying various fighters that look completely ridiculous, fight in a completely ridiculous way. There's a plot sure, but it's really just there to facilitate the ridiculous stuff that happens

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Baki is basically a manga/anime about portraying various fighters that look completely ridiculous, fight in a completely ridiculous way. There's a plot sure, but it's really just there to facilitate the ridiculous stuff that happens

It goes well beyond that
I've read some people in forums that jumped straight to season 3 saying they don't understand why the fighters kept giving chances to the convicts. You need to see the first 2 seasons/read the manga to understand that.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It goes well beyond that
I've read some people in forums that jumped straight to season 3 saying they don't understand why the fighters kept giving chances to the convicts. You need to see the first 2 seasons/read the manga to understand that.

I'm not sure what those people would be watching a show like baki for honestly, if they would apply that kind of logic to stuff that happens in the current season. I mean freaking everything about the show is done to be completely ridiculous and over the top. The bodies of the characters, the introductions of the characters, the way they talk and act, the extremes they go to. EVERYTHING is just ridiculous.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm not sure what those people would be watching a show like baki for honestly, if they would apply that kind of logic to stuff that happens in the current season. I mean freaking everything about the show is done to be completely ridiculous and over the top. The bodies of the characters, the introductions of the characters, the way they talk and act, the extremes they go to. EVERYTHING is just ridiculous.

There is a method and meaning to this madness. If you follow this from the beginning It all makes sense, it isn't exaggerated just because. It's a clash of all the philosophies and motivations behind fighting/killing/combat sport/budo/instinct/kakutougi and how each of these relates to the others.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge fan of some of the English voice acting and translations. Speck especially sounded better with that disturbing high pitched voice in the Japanese version.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
First few episodes were great, but it felt dragged as hell later on. Still, I'd probably put it at the top in terms of anime I enjoyed in 2017 and 2018.
A bit disappointed by the lack of Yujiro

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Ah damn. Didn't realize this was a sequel series. What's the best way to see the old stuff? What old stuff is there?

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Huh i wasnt aware that this ia a continuation.
Well id only be in it for the crazy action so ill consider watching the older series later on.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Finished watching it. Pretty decent. It's definitely Baki, so that's nice.

I have to say though, it's a shame it has a new animation style and soundtrack. I wish they just continued using the staff from the original anime series. Everything was fine with that, especially the music, which is a huge downgrade, sadly.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix is so stupid for splitting this up where they did, or for splitting it up at all for that matter. I hope there's a recap, because I'm lost now. From what I remember, dude was about to bust his first nut but then Ivan Drago showed up, and then it cut to some Miami speedo guy deflecting shotgun pellets off his pecs before breaking some other guy's back between his buttcheeks. Is that about right?