• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Look up John Ringo Get Woke on google. Do not look up The Quartering Get Woke on Youtube.

But that's pretty much gonna give you the genesis.
I first saw this term coined around the time Last Jedi and the latest Battlefield came around.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are good points. Maybe a better description would have been "below expectations."

You're making a lot of assumptions about why something like Battiefeld V sold below expectations though. It was delayed to a launch window that surrounded it with other heavy-hitters coming out, while battle royale games are at their peak and their game mode isn't ready, as well as just the lifecycle of the previous games. They talked about how both Battlefield 1 and 4 both still have millions of monthly active users. I sincerely doubt that including women as playable characters in Battlefield V impacted sales in any substantial negative way as that has not been the case for other games in the past

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I dont get most nerds, or gamers being pissed at the concept that you play as a POC or a female. I just dont know what triggers such hate especially since playing as a white male is boring after nearly ten years.

The thing with this get woke go broke meme is that it is so stupid. Its just a videogame enjoy it and people should not be jaded.

Gg as a movement is shit tier. Buuuut. I do feel Wolfenstein 2 was weaker than Wolf1 (not because of narrative reasons, more to do with gameplay and level design).

The arguement about Battlefield 5 is wonky as hell, my only gripe with it was the Norway bit in the campaign was that i would have loved to play it based on the real events rather than the made up thing

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Desperation. Their "don't shove stuff down my throat nobody wants" arguments only work if the market actually rejects what they dislike, so the last line of defense, the one thing that they cannot stop doing to matter what, is pretending that's the case, no matter the evidence to the contrary.

It's the same as Captain Marvel's "this is going to review poorly and bomb" -> "reviewers were bought off but it will bomb" -> "cinemas were bought off to report false box office records". They simply cannot acknowledge that works not based on white dudes are popular and profitable, or their whole system of beliefs would implode. They've been leaning on capitalism as a justification not to have diverse works for decades; they cannot give up on that now (in fact, what argument could they possibly use instead?).

Fresh Prince is one of the few sitcoms that I can rewatch without wanting to blow my brains off, so...
Or - if you're TheQuartering - you just outrightly admit you're doing this for financial reasons, even if you generally agree with the outrage, because you know your fanbase will still believe you're earnest and not-a-grifter despite admitting you're a grifter:

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I dont get most nerds, or gamers being pissed at the concept that you play as a POC or a female. I just dont know what triggers such hate especially since playing as a white male is boring after nearly ten years.

The thing with this get woke go broke meme is that it is so stupid. Its just a videogame enjoy it and people should not be jaded.

Gg as a movement is shit tier. Buuuut. I do feel Wolfenstein 2 was weaker than Wolf1 (not because of narrative reasons, more to do with gameplay and level design).

The arguement about Battlefield 5 is wonky as hell, my only gripe with it was the Norway bit in the campaign was that i would have loved to play it based on the real events rather than the made up thing
Sexism and racism. The far right has been infiltrating the gamer community for years, taking advantage of the fact that it is full of young men frustrated with their lives.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I get your general point and I agree however Mortal Kombat 11 is so inclusive they brought in a sandy truther, transphobic domestic abuser. Not really the best example of woke imo.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
These are good points. Maybe a better description would have been "below expectations."
1.3 billion wasn't below expectations. There is no reality on this planet where you can spin more than a billion as "below expectations." #sorrynotsorry It then went on to be the top selling bluray release of the year. And to counter anymore spin

It's almost the exact dropoff that ESB had because TFA was a once in a lifetime event that couldn't possibly be topped by the sequel just like A New Hope and multiple movie franchises in general, you can literally trace the pattern of each trilogy's sequel having a drop off:
vWynYHk.png

Gillette's ad didn't have a direct impact on sales either. Like with TLJ, the only places saying so are unsurprisingly, places like MGTOW. So pray tell. Where kinda places are you getting your info from?
Iz5k.gif

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
The statement the OP refers to is based on the idea that stupid bigots who care about that kind of stuff are more than those who like diversity. However, as the op shows, they are wrong.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I get your general point and I agree however Mortal Kombat 11 is so inclusive they brought in a sandy truther, transphobic domestic abuser. Not really the best example of woke imo.
MK11 isn't woke. In fact, most of the shit I mentioned in the OP ain't woke. Right-wing goons think they are because women and PoC are prominent.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
OP I read your post and immediately lost any interesting points of discussion because all I had in my head was The Fresh Prince theme song.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I think he is saying these games are "woke" to the mouth breathing white supremacists and what not when they aren't actually woke at all, just games with more colored and woman in them that cause those losers to cry out in baby rage.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It's not. Bottom feeding gators are deluding themselves into thinking it is because it's 'politically correct' and 'feminist'. In fact, I started seeing the phrase being spewed around the time TLJ came out, so yeah.
Also another thing:

Wouldn't the "feminism" apply to Force Awakens as well? Rey wasn't a man in the last movie last time I checked.

In fact, I remember those types whining their asses off at Rey and Finn at the time and boycotting,

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Dude, The Last Jedi grossed over $1.3 billion. In what world is that underperforming. Battlefield V sold through 7.3 million copies, too despite the insanely packed holiday season which Black Ops 4, Fortnite and Red Dead Redemption II.
I'd argue it still underperformed expectations. Though I'd also argue it can be attributed to the handling of beloved characters and not the "wokeness" of the film.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
it's interesting with video games because it sure as h*ck looks like the Bad Titty Games are the ones that struggle financially and are increasingy relying on incredibly small but loyal fanbases while games that are coming around to "what if women were treated vaguely like people" are being hugely successful

What's interesting about the whole T&A pandering thing is that yes, having some level of explicit sexiness can and often does help sell media. But the stuff these 4chan goblins huff all day, the hentai big tiddy waifus and 1200 year old dragon stuff, has always -- always -- been an over the top product of targeting a vanishingly small userbase that happens to outspend the average consumer massively on this type of stuff.

A lot of this simply lacks appeal to almost everyone except a particular, rare person who is absolutely obsessed with it. Anime and games double down on these themes not because of free speech or anti-censorship impulses, or by bravely giving men what they definitely all want, but because they can reliably sell and re-sell to the same handful of guaranteed buyers who demand content that nobody else can take seriously.

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
What does woke even mean? Like, I know what it means in context. When people describe something as "woke", I know what they mean. But where does the term woke come from? Is it an acronym? An abbreviation? Or just a made up word?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Also another thing:

Wouldn't the "feminism" apply to Force Awakens as well? Rey wasn't a man in the last movie last time I checked.

In fact, I remember those types whining their asses off at Rey and Finn at the time and boycotting,
It absolutely would, but this internet whining from the far right only really got to the point that it is now with The Last Jedi onwards, which is why I have it in the OP instead of TFA.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What does woke even mean? Like, I know what it means in context. When people describe something as "woke", I know what they mean. But where does the term woke come from? Is it an acronym? An abbreviation? Or just a made up word?
In theory it means that you have a progressive position.

In practice, anything with women or PoC is already considered woke by the far right.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I kinda abhor the idea that having any other type of person as a lead is "going woke".

How fucking debased is the idea that everything must portray white males as protagonists and anything else is an attempt to patronize.

Racist nerds are fucking garbage

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's absolutely not based in reality. It's nothing more than the wishful thoughts of hateful people who need to convince themselves they're part of a "silent majority" to get through the day.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It absolutely would, but this internet whining from the far right only really got to the point that it is now with The Last Jedi onwards, which is why I have it in the OP instead of TFA.
Yeah, but the reason I'm pointing to Force Awakens is that it wasn't any less "woke" than TLJ and yet did undisputed giga gangbusters.

So even if someone absolutely insists that TLJ underperformed, then the "woke" had little to with it or TFA would have also underperformed.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
You should ask them. Start a dialog. I know it is scary, but you might get a convo going with some if you aren't a dick out of the gate.

"People are people so why do we get along so awfully."

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda abhor the idea that having any other type of person as a lead is "going woke".

How fucking debased is the idea that everything must portray white males as protagonists and anything else is an attempt to patronize.

Racist nerds are fucking garbage

As is so often the case with this crowd, there's a deep irony in their reaction to representation.

Representation is important because it projects a more true vision of the world in fiction. People will swear up and down that this doesn't matter, and in the same breadth say something that shows exactly why it matters.

The recent backlash over Wrangler/Lil Nas X is a great example of this. They're accusing a black guy of "appropriating cowboy culture," because of an image they have of cowboys as the rugged white dudes from movies and TV. In real life 1 in 4 of them were black and most of the techniques and style of cowboy living came from Mexico. They're thinking of fucking John Wayne, not anything remotely close to actual history, while also trying to tell you that representation is a distraction from reality.

They say representation doesn't matter, and invariably prove it does by presenting their own worldview that is entirely colored by consuming media with unrealistic representation.

themadswagger

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
1.3 billion wasn't below expectations. There is no reality on this planet where you can spin more than a billion as "below expectations." #sorrynotsorry It then went on to be the top selling bluray release of the year. And to counter anymore spin

It's almost the exact dropoff that ESB had because TFA was a once in a lifetime event that couldn't possibly be topped by the sequel just like A New Hope and multiple movie franchises in general, you can literally trace the pattern of each trilogy's sequel having a drop off:
vWynYHk.png

Gillette's ad didn't have a direct impact on sales either. Like with TLJ, the only places saying so are unsurprisingly, places like MGTOW. So pray tell. Where kinda places are you getting your info from?
Iz5k.gif

I mostly agreed with OP though. I heard about the controversies and sales results separately, and wondered if there was a connection.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

It comes from The Matrix. Neo took the red pill and "woke" up to the realities of the world.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

vWynYHk.png

Iz5k.gif

Don't forget that it was also the best selling blu-ray of 2018!

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
What they don't realize is that companies use "hate" as just another form of marketing. So for example, those anti-Captain Marvel/Brie Larson YT videos that get over 100,000 views? That's millions of dollars in free advertisement.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Saw a YouTube thumbnail that implied that one of the reasons Dishonored failed commercially was because it got "woke" with female protags

Shit was dumb

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Again, like another one said, there are WAY more verifiable factors to BFV actually underperforming than "it has women in it." Despite what the GG likes to say, you know, considering that BF was pretty much the last bastion for "hurr keep da womenz out of muh man gamez"

I mostly agreed with OP though. I heard about the controversies and sales results separately, and wondered if there was a connection.
A films revenue=more than the Chinese market and that the "toy sales failing" thing was as true as the empty Captain Marvel theater hoax. Like I said, you can't spin TLJ as anything other than a commercial and critical success with an expected dropoff after an insane trilogy debut.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan

I feel like the latter's more of an indictment of Hollywood (and the entertainment industry as whole) wanting 'all the money' (as Jim Sterling puts it), and Disney thinking that Star Wars is the MCU, when it's always been more of a big event series that needs time between releases.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
As is so often the case with this crowd, there's a deep irony in their reaction to representation.

Representation is important because it projects a more true vision of the world in fiction. People will swear up and down that this doesn't matter, and in the same breadth say something that shows exactly why it matters.

The recent backlash over Wrangler/Lil Nas X is a great example of this. They're accusing a black guy of "appropriating cowboy culture," because of an image they have of cowboys as the rugged white dudes from movies and TV. In real life 1 in 4 of them were black and most of the techniques and style of cowboy living came from Mexico. They're thinking of fucking John Wayne, not anything remotely close to actual history, while also trying to tell you that representation is a distraction from reality.

They say representation doesn't matter, and invariably prove it does by presenting their own worldview that is entirely colored by consuming media with unrealistic representation.

Well explained. It's poisoned so much in regards to accuracy.

Come to find out, Vikings weren't the white fantasy paragon people think they were. I remember learning the same with the Romans.

My personal favorite is magical white people as middle easterns in biblical times

Allice

Oct 9, 2018
It is discouraging to see that ' but mah video games ' and ' i just want to play games ' narratives are still alive in the Era, particularly noticeable in the Borderlands 3 threads.

About a month ago i checked the old place and made the mistake of clicking the Kyle Korver's white privilege article thread. Toxicity while expected was still suprising, but what shocked me was the amount of users with the sign up dates pre dating the exodus. Meaning these people were just sitting there, forcing themselves to stay away from off topic threads, biding their time for years before finally revealing themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if Era has a sizeable ' sleeper ' alt right community as well.