• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I remember ppl making a big fuss over the fact that women were playable in CoD WW2's multiplayer and yet that game sold very well (like over $1 billion in revenue).
There was a backlash for sure, but Activision nipped that in the butt quickly by following up their multiplayer trailer with a cinematic trailer that showed people that "yes we are still making the WWII game that people are expecting". They also didn't have a CEO say "don't like it, don't buy it".

ket

Jul 27, 2018
There was a backlash for sure, but Activision nipped that in the butt quickly by following up their multiplayer trailer with a cinematic trailer that showed people that "yes we are still making the WWII game that people are expecting". They also didn't have a CEO say "don't like it, don't buy it".

They didn't nip anything in the bud; the devs at Sledgehammer openly addressed it multiple times and defended this design decision:

And it doesn't change the fact that despite significant backlash, CoD WW2 was still a commercial success.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play a ton of FPSes. Is Battlefield the one with the giant shark?

No it's the one with Historical Accuracy like this
giphy.gif

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
They didn't nip anything in the bud; they openly addressed it multiple times and defended this design decision:

And it doesn't change the fact that despite significant backlash, CoD WW2 was still a commercial success.
Significant backlash? Where? A few random idiots on Twitter does not equal 'significant' backlash

The Official Call of Duty: WWII - Story Trailer has 4.7M views and has 107K to 5.2K dislikes.

In contrast, the Battlefield V - Official Reveal Trailer has 69K likes and 119K likes. That is backlash.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Significant backlash? Where? A few random idiots on Twitter does not equal 'significant' backlash

The Official Call of Duty: WWII - Story Trailer has 4.7M views and has 107K to 5.2K dislikes.

In contrast, the Battlefield V - Official Reveal Trailer has 69K likes and 119K likes. That is backlash.

What about all those clickbait YouTube vids that complained about the female soldiers in CoD WW2? And I didn't say that the backlash was completely comparable btwn CoD & BF5, I said that it was significant.

This whole "Go woke, go broke" argument doesn't logically track at all. Ghostbusters 2016 was a box office bomb yet Captain Marvel & Black Panther both made over $1 billion at the box office despite having minority leads and starring C-list heroes.

Similarly, BF5 underperformed commercially and had huge backlash against it for female soldiers while CoD WW2 was a success a year earlier (even though again the backlash against it wasn't as significant as BF5's).

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
The reality is that there are a lot more people in the world than white dudes so one way or another everyone is gonna get woke eventually in the endless game of capitalistic growth.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Counterpoints: Battlefield V, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and even Gillette sales all underperforming.

Battlefield V underperformed because it's a mediocre entry in a creatively exhausted franchise that lacks a strong identity. It had nothing to do with a toxic privileged fanbase rejecting it on principle.

Gillette is fine and Star Wars continues to print money. Extremist right reddit/4chan assholes have changed nothing.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What about all those clickbait YouTube vids that complained about the female soldiers in CoD WW2? And I didn't say that the backlash was completely comparable btwn CoD & BF5, I said that it was significant.

This whole "Go woke, go broke" argument doesn't logically track at all. Ghostbusters 2016 was a box office bomb yet Captain Marvel & Black Panther both made over $1 billion at the box office despite having minority leads and starring C-list heroes.

Similarly, BF5 underperformed commercially and had huge backlash against it for female soldiers while CoD WW2 was a success a year earlier (even though again the backlash against it wasn't as significant as BF5's).
Plus, where is all the "non-woke" shit that's apparently supposed to be making gangbusters based on the logic that being woke=going broke. Obviously the exact opposite should apply, instead of the reality where Fortnite, Overwatch, Rainbow Six, etc are incredibly popular MP games where the devs go out of their way to be inclusive. It doesn't hold up as an argument.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
These dumb trolls don't believe half the things they say. It's not in their interest to argue in good faith. Facts don't matter.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The ironic thing is that it's so selective. There's no mass outrage over Alita, Wonder Woman, Tomb Raider, etc. And I've never seen a single person criticize past films like Alien, Aliens, The Matrix, The Edge of Tomorrow, Underworld, Kill Bill, Atomic Blonde that have powerful women for whatever garbage reason is used for Captain Marvel. Nobody cares in those situations and yet it's a big deal in others.

My guess is that groups of people will take a dislike to one or two people in particular with a film and then try to find a reason to dislike it. For Captain Marvel, it's not about what they think the film is trying to say, some people just really hate Brie Larson and it's a look at that bitch eating crackers type of thing.

The US political environment is much more radicalized than it was when those 80's films you named came out. The political landscape is such that this historically (and to be clear, *currently*) majority group (straight white men) has now decided that they're under attack as the society that has forever afforded them ultimate privilege is now very, very incredibly slightly giving extremely minor representation and attention to marginalized groups. The more recent films you noted as receiving less backlash were simply less in the public eye and new IPs telling new, standalone stories, whereas comic books and Star Wars are wildly mainstream and up until very recently have really exclusively featured white men in leading roles. The radicalized internet nerds who have decided that their privilege is under attack just view this inconsequential decrease of representation of their demographic as a further attack on them, even though their demographic has been horrifically over-represented in media for centuries.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone catch the anger about Horizon? How it was SJW because of how powerful women are in the world, and how it was anti-white male because the guy that made the world turn to ruin was white?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Because they just like to stick to a narrative regardless of if it actually accurate. Like BFV "underperformed" but that is probably only because EA's projections were way off. EA seemingly didn't account for Fortnite, BO4, and most importantly Red Dead 2 eating a bunch of sales. They also didn't take into account that there are two other BF games out that are complete and they had been selling BF1 complete for on sale like every other month. That probably had more to do with it under performing than them putting a woman on the cover.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone catch the anger about Horizon? How it was SJW because of how powerful women are in the world, and how it was anti-white male because the guy that made the world turn to ruin was white?
I was actually just looking at someone's Twitter the other day. They were linked in a thread because they tweeted how the ResetEra SJWs are going to get triggered because they're always whining about everything, and then I looked at their timeline and they were still complaining about how SJWs ruined Aloy's design like two weeks ago.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this "get woke, go broke" is the deathcry of all these regressive children who are afraid of not being catered to in almost all of their media. That they are desperately looking for confirmation that they are still the only market worth catering too, and that the world will reject any change. I truly, truly hope that over the course of the next several years we see a lot more diversity in games and movies. It's honestly sad how little it takes for them declare a series "tainted" by the big bad "SJWS".

RavageDark

Oct 25, 2017

Sometimes, the outrage only feeds the piggy bank.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The Last Jedi upset a bunch of manbabies because the storyline upended and deconstructed the whole idea of the noble Jedi, as well as the rebels' high risk plans always panning out, while also giving prominent roles to a number of women and minorities.

That's not being woke. That's Star Wars actually telling a kind of story that it hadn't touched before, and fanbabies can't handle even a modicum of change.

May 9, 2019
So much youtubers and various websites were talking shit about MK11 mainly because they claim that the "women are dressed in burka now" and the game is too woke. Apparently, the game was going to flop because of this. They were also keeping tabs on MK11 and made a big deal on it going on discount earlier in the month or something.

Lo and behold they were all dumb founded and now are not even reporting the success of MK11. Some are saying it was going to succeed because its a well known brand and being woke is going to hurt the next game which is what they said when MK10 came out. Its funny they had to push the goalpost and offer up excuses now because MK shut them up.

May 9, 2019
The general claim behind this is that Marvel comic sales have declined as they have attempted to diversify their lineup and usher in stuff like female Thor and black/hispanic Spider-Man.

I don't really know how bad things are for Marvel as a publisher, though I suspect it's more due to the fact that comics are kinda outdated and represent a not very good value proposition for young readers.
And most of Marvel take place in New York so the complaints are stupid.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I really don't know where this dumb meme came from. The idea that creators becoming more aware of the world around them and tailoring their works to ensure they'll be more inclusive leading to some sort of financial ruin has always seemed quite shortsighted to me. A supposed 'woke' game that the anti-SJW crowd have attacked recently like Mortal Kombat 11 has broken franchise records and shot up to the second best-selling game of the year in the US after only a month on the market.

Something like The Last of Us Part II which isn't afraid of portraying a lesbian relationship on screen will make hundreds of millions and Bloodlines 2 which is supposedly 'SJW and political shit' (even though White Wolf games have always been unabashedly political) because the developers have vowed to take a firm progressive stance is currently the second most wishlisted game of all-time on Steam behind Halo MCC and has been sitting comfortably on the global top sellers ever since the Steam page went up. Battlefield V sold through 7.3 million copies despite the insane competition of the holiday season. I could bring up Overwatch too but we'll leave it at that as I think I've gotten my point across.

tenor.gif

I mean, this isn't even limited to games either. Kamala Khan is undeniably a hit for Marvel, Nike sales increased by 61%, boosting the company's value by $6 billion following the Kaepernick campaign reveal, Captain Marvel grossed $1 billion worldwide, The Last Jedi made bank and Black Panther is the highest grossing solo superhero film of all-time.

9l9.gif

Far-right chuds like to believe they have spending power with their dumb boycotts but all of the media franchises I've mentioned that have supposedly went 'woke' and catered toward more inclusivity have been doing better than ever, so what's the deal? Really, my question to you is, where does this meme even come from? Is it even based in reality?

tenor.gif

How much of an utter bellend do you have to be to unironically think these huge media franchises backed by some of the largest corporations out there will fail because they say the thing that make you sad or because the women in them don't make your pp hard. What Kool-Aid are you drinking, bruh? Gimme some of that shit.

giphy.gif
It's simple, really, far Right geeks and straight while male people are unable to see beyond their social bubble and they believe they're the only people that consume geeks products. This might've been true in the past, but nowadays, geek products became mainstream and and lots of people from all countries, colors, ages, gender and sexual orientation consume those products.
They're living in the past and can't accept how things are now.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
So much youtubers and various websites were talking shit about MK11 mainly because they claim that the "women are dressed in burka now" and the game is too woke. Apparently, the game was going to flop because of this. They were also keeping tabs on MK11 and made a big deal on it going on discount earlier in the month or something.

Lo and behold they were all dumb founded and now are not even reporting the success of MK11. Some are saying it was going to succeed because its a well known brand and being woke is going to hurt the next game which is what they said when MK10 came out. Its funny they had to push the goalpost and offer up excuses now because MK shut them up.
Confirmation bias on point with these people.

Salarians

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
momwife.club
that phrase also carries the connotations that
- only straight, white, cis men interact with (and spend money on) media and only they can be profited off of it
- stories that include people that aren't that (even when they aren't the focus) have no value artistically or monetarily
in short, it's bullshit no matter what way you look at it

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Lol I just love seeing Sony talk about having more diverse teams and all that and seeing the reaction on reset era being "Word, cool" and going on neogaf (where they treat Sony as their lord and savior) to see the same topic with all the topic comments being "Ugh why Sony" and "Ew whamen" and other predictable neck beard shit. Then they wonder why people left that site in droves lol.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
The Last Jedi upset a bunch of manbabies because the storyline upended and deconstructed the whole idea of the noble Jedi, as well as the rebels' high risk plans always panning out, while also giving prominent roles to a number of women and minorities.

That's not being woke. That's Star Wars actually telling a kind of story that it hadn't touched before, and fanbabies can't handle even a modicum of change.
I always felt that The Last Jedi actually had similar story beats to the Empire Strikes Back, which is why I never got the complaints. The three major ones are:
- Rey finds and asks Jedi master Luke to train her. In ESB, Luke finds and asks Jedi master Yoda to train him. Neither appear to be as advertised when first approached.
- Both the Rebels and Resistance are defeated in the beginning and are hanging on by a thread towards the end, leaving the film with a somber tone.
- Both Rey and Luke enter a cave in which they see what they fear most.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, Neo-Nazis reacting to Wolfenstein as if it's a new and offensive thing was fun.
www.resetera.com

Vice: "Wolfenstein II Is The Video Game That's Pissing Off The Alt-Right"

What a bunch whiny little bitches.

The alt-right backlash to Wolfenstein will never not be the most hilariously stupid shit.

Like, the whole goddamn point of the series is "Nazis are evil, fuck them to hell, kill them all". What the fucking hell did they think was gonna happen?

Remember when everyone used to complain about how overused Nazis were as bad guys? Clearly we needed that to remind ourselves that, yes, Nazis bad.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The alt-right backlash to Wolfenstein will never not be the most hilariously stupid shit.

Like, the whole goddamn point of the series is "Nazis are evil, fuck them to hell, kill them all". What the fucking hell did they think was gonna happen?

Remember when everyone used to complain about how overused Nazis were as bad guys? Clearly we needed that to remind ourselves that, yes, Nazis bad.
I could never wrap my head around that myself. You would think they would be turned off by that series period since it involves killing their own kind.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
Sorry but it's hard to believe that someone spent more than 5 minutes thinking about one of the shittiest troll messages used by chan users. Pro-tip: if someone says 'sjw', 'get woke go broke', 'cuck' etc. unironically you know that isn't someone worth of developing a conversation with.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'd just like to apologise for misinterpreting. I agree on reflection.
Hey, no worries! I absolutely agree with you that MK11 isn't woke at all. In fact, NRS have done some really shitty things as far as the game's development is concerned like what you mentioned + working conditions. What baffles me is these goblins think it's woke simply because NRS made a concentrated effort to de-sexualize the characters.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017

I can't remember who said it, but someone said that "there are two enemy types that are safe from outcry, zombies and Nazis", boy times have changed.

Last edited:

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
As a marketing student who tried to get an internship with P&G over the summer. Gillette's recent ad campaign was great at getting people to talk about it again. It's always gonna be slipping in sales though because P&G has no idea how to sell directly to consumers.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
"Get woke, go broke" is the opposite of reality. Soulless corporations aren't putting out more diverse entertainment products because they actually care about justice, social or otherwise, but because they need to in order to appeal to a diverse audience. What, you think they wouldn't rather just maintain their inertia and stick to shoving bland white dudes everywhere? Of course they would, it's easier, but that's just not going to make them money anymore.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I always felt that The Last Jedi actually had similar story beats to the Empire Strikes Back, which is why I never got the complaints. The three major ones are:
- Rey finds and asks Jedi master Luke to train her. In ESB, Luke finds and asks Jedi master Yoda to train him. Neither appear to be as advertised when first approached.
- Both the Rebels and Resistance are defeated in the beginning and are hanging on by a thread towards the end, leaving the film with a somber tone.
- Both Rey and Luke enter a cave in which they see what they fear most.
There's definitely that as well. It in some ways does hit ESB story beats, but in a way that feels new. It doesn't run into the main problem I had with The Force Awakens, which is that plays way too much on the nostalgia for A New Hope.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Is anyone really gonna argue with you on this?

I think you shouldnt really pay too much mind to those voices due to their gamergate bs. Makes no sense to try to argue with them.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't like pushing the idea of "you should be more inclusive because it leads to commercial success" because you're kinda selling out your values to capitalism tbh. and all it takes is a trend of exclusion being financially viable to show people that it's a bad message.