• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Edit :: STORY IS COMPLETELY FALSE. PLEASE IGNORE.

Saw this on r/huntshowdown.

A guy got permanently banned from the game for continuously changing his dpi settings on his mouse which gave him an unfair advantage.

I have no words...…..

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdo...iend_of_mine_just_got_banned_permanently_for/

Here is the "transcript"

Crytek said:
Hi --------, Thanks for your inquiry. We've looked extensively at the evidence in this situation, and we were able to verify the use of different mouse dpi during the game experience and give you an unfair advantage against other players. In accordance with section 4 of the steam subscriber agreement, we are hereby terminating your access to the HUNT: Showdown online service. We can't offer any help in this situation, and we regret to inform you that your account will remain banned from HUNT: Showdown permanently. https://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/#4 Thank you for your understanding. Best Regards, ----

Ban yo' headsets
Ban yo' 1080tis
Ban yo' Macros
They banning everyone out here..

Mod edit:
dWKDUAP.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdo...mine_just_got_banned_permanently_for/e0ccogo/

Last edited:

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
wooooooooooow

This is worth discussing.

At what point is should PC games verify that everyone has the exact same hardware for fair play? This is nuts.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
That has to be fake because that is absolutely ridiculous.
Banning someone over changing their DPI is really pushing it.
Oh its that Crytek game, did they ever enforce this on their Crysis games? Can't say that I could remember at this point.

Oct 26, 2017

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I don't see any links.. did he have some script running that would lower the DPI when he was hovering over an enemy so he would stick better or something? Or was he just hitting DPI buttons built into his mouse when he was using a scope?

Plumpbiscuit

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be different if he changed the mouse dpi from the hardware button itself and if he used a macro/program to do it for him.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Really...changing mouse dpi settings results in getting banned.

That just sounds so ridiculous to even be true...

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
In a world where Blizzard originally thought FOV sliders would give a competitive advantage in Overwatch, I believe this.

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
That's crazy. I constantly change my dpi when playing shooters. When I ADS I slow it down to 400 and bring it back to 1500 afterwards.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
If this actually happened then they might as well start banning people for using quality headsets that let you hear sounds better

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
How would one go about verifying whether this story is real? Unless the developer comments, anyone can say anything they want...

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was the guy simply changing it between rounds or was he using a macro to change it on the fly while in game to simulate a console like aim assist when his targeting reticle was near a specified zone?

The later would definitely give a player advantage.

Oct 27, 2017
This cannot be real, can it?

I have seen some crazy shit over 30+ years of gaming, especially in the dawn of the internets and online gaming, so what I am saying is, it would not surprise me if true, lol.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Had to be banned by other means. More to the story for sure.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Was the guy simply changing it between rounds or was he using a macro to change it on the fly while in game to simulate a console like aim assist when his targeting reticle was near a specified zone?

The later would definitely give a player advantage.

You don't need a macro to do it on the fly. At least one of mine has buttons that can cycle up and down through presets. I use it all the time in tanks on battlefield games and any vehicle etc that has a heavier feel to it.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Had to be banned by other means. More to the story for sure.

Anyone remembers these stories on GAF were people were banned even though they didnt do "anything" wrong. Then a few pages later "I just used a hack to see other players on the map. Thats not too big! And the website said it cant be traced!"

Or in Blizzard forums where people ask why they were banned, because they didnt do anything wrong and posted "fake" responses first till a mod answered.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Anyone remembers these stories on GAF were people were banned even though they didnt do "anything" wrong. Then a few pages later "I just used a hack to see other players on the map. Thats not too big! And the website said it cant be traced!"
Lol exactly

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
Cheaters more than often lie about the reason for their bans: I mean, they are cheaters!! But it's possible that this ban was legit, and not because of cheating so I am giving it the benefit of the doubt

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, my mouse can change dpi by clicking a button on it by accident/purpose.

Nov 2, 2017
I sometimes worry that enabling turbo fire in the Steam Controller settings will get me banned. Spamming the tec-9 in cs:go is hilarious(being accused of being a hacker in the chat while using a Steam Controller gives me life). Also, setting the right trackpad as a frictionless trackball, maxing the sensitivity, and flicking it to one side. Instant spin-bot simulator.

Last edited:

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Here is a reply from one of their CMs, as just posted on reddit.

I asked our CS rep and he said he never wrote such a message as we wouldn't ban someone for using different DPI. Could your friend contact me (Community Manager, Maquannas °(❛ᴗ❛)°#9000) at our official Discord, you can see under the Crytek Developer tag discord.gg/huntshowdown then I can have a look.

Cheers!

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Just posted in that reddit thread from someone from crytek
Hello,

I asked our CS rep and he said he never wrote such a message as we wouldn't ban someone for using different DPI. Could your friend contact me (Community Manager, Maquannas °(❛ᴗ❛)°#9000) at our official Discord, you can see under the Crytek Developer tag discord.gg/huntshowdown then I can have a look.

Cheers!

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
My guess is his friend cheated and lied to him about the CS rep saying that. Cmon, no one would be banned for changing the DPI on their mouse.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that doesn't even make technical sense.

By definition, all cheaters are liars.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
That is insane? I change my DPI all the time depending on my weapons in FPS/Shooters.

How is that unfair? Do they make it clear that they don't want to you to do this?

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

Cheers!

So perhaps there's more to the story...

tenor.gif

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Ok so he got banned for cheating, and lied about why he got banned. That makes more sense then getting banned for changing DPI.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
What??? I have different DPI settings for different weapons in some games. This is stupid.

He had to have done more than that.

Edit :oh ok He's lying

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
maquannas[M] [score hidden] 12 minutes ago stickied comment

Hello,

Cheers!

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Cheers!

Uh oh.