• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prof. Booty

Banned
Jan 1, 2020
I was fired once like 15 years ago.

Was a part time job between a layoff.

I deserved it. I spent like 3 months coming into work, clocking in, then going back home till it was time to out.

I kinda deserved it but it was free money for a few months lol

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Start thinking of an exit plan from retail. Outside of corporate, you're just another easily replaceable number. Effort isn't rewarded, and higher pay is seen as a liability.

Put your efforts elsewhere.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
I spent part of that time in the hospital because I couldn't keep anything in my system. I had to have a constant IV of fluids until they could get my various infections under control.

I didn't call out because I had the sniffles, dick.
I know I'm with the right company now. Year and a half ago during the summer I was out an entire week with a kidney stone and I had classes to teach. I told my boss and she worked to make sure all of my classes were covered and told me not to worry about anything but recovering my health. It's never been mentioned again. I even scored an exceeds on my annual review that year because it was such a non factor to them. It's a revelation when you finally work for a company that treats you like a human being.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
No, no they don't. My pops worked for over 40 years and retired on his own terms. Never fired. No one in my family has been fired. Then again none of us have called in sick for a soild week.
Some of yall think work is a joke. Something yall feel like doing when its convenient for u. But bitch and whine when yall get fired.

Wow...this is an impressively bad take. Holy shit.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
You say the pay was good, but you worked in a shitty environment that took advantage of you. I hope you set yourself up with a rainy day fund that covers all of your expenses for at least a few months with that good pay you were receiving.

You will be better off. I recently found myself without a job and the stress was the worst in the beginning. I wish I had taken more time finding a better job, I was only out of work a month and took the first thing that sounded decent to me. Turns out I don't care for it, but to be fair to myself I couldn't have foreseen the organizational issues from the outside.

You'll be alright. Fix up your resume and start applying for new positions. Be very clear why you were let go if you are asked if you were ever dismissed from your job. Don't bad mouth that employer in interviews, it's a bad look. You're venting in the right place.

Best of luck. You sound like a hard working, dedicated employee. You'll land on your feet.

Oct 27, 2017
My dad was once fired for stealing company property. It was a plastic trash bag he used to clean his car out with. If they want to fire you, they will find a way. My dad was also fired from another company a couple years back after neck surgery. Sucked at the time for him, but the combination of severance and disability meant he had six months where we was making pretty much the same amount.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was "terminated without cause" last year.
The reasoning was the company was changing directions and I had a history of "not liking change"... Which I'm not really sure what they were talking about, as I was definitely too shell-shocked to ask.
Of course everyone I told this too later pointed out to me "So you don't like change, so they force a big life change on you by making you unemployed?" But yeah, this also happened on my mother's/nephews' birthdays, so that was odd timing. I really felt numb, because I never expected to lose my job since I am a fairly hard worker (with a penchant for sarcasm), who has never been written up or anything. I know it ultimately came down to that my department had a headcount reduction, I had more seniority as a full-timer, so I was paid more -- thus save more by cutting me. On top of that, that day they trained part-timers in the morning on the heavy equipment, and it was shortly after their training that I was called, so it was evident enough to me that that was planned. It was all strictly management's decision as well, as my supervisor wasn't even informed about their decision until after the fact.

Fortunately for me they did do well by me by listing it as a permanent lay-off (since it technically was -- again, the headcount reduction) as they wanted it to be an amicable split, which has benefitted me much more now as it allowed me to qualify for a provincial program that has the government paying for me to attend a two-year college diploma program I started last week (though I did spend six months running around trying to qualify for said government funding).

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I was fired once like 15 years ago.

Was a part time job between a layoff.

I deserved it. I spent like 3 months coming into work, clocking in, then going back home till it was time to out.

I kinda deserved it but it was free money for a few months lol

Sounds like a dream job.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
No, no they don't. My pops worked for over 40 years and retired on his own terms. Never fired. No one in my family has been fired. Then again none of us have called in sick for a soild week.
Some of yall think work is a joke. Something yall feel like doing when its convenient for u. But bitch and whine when yall get fired.
lmao I bet yall the type to get the perfect attendance award in school too

Prof. Booty

Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Sounds like a dream job.

It was fun. I was laid off from my previous job and was kinda cruising between finding my next one.

It was a lot boy job at a dealership. Basically park cars, oil changes, pick weeds etc..
Also we took MANY new cars, parked out back in them, and smoked bowls in them.

Theirs a good chance some one is driving around in a 2005 Windstar right now I got high as a kite in many many years ago lol.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
GMdC1hm.jpg

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

That's nice you've never gotten that sick. Or conversely your pop was working when he really shouldn't have to and you expect everyone else to "tough it out" too. I mean I also have never called in sick for more than 2 days (other then when I got in a motorcycle accident) but I realize not everyone is that lucky or as healthy as I. I'm lucky not only to be pretty healthy but also to be pretty mentally healthy too (or at least my mental issues are easy to live with). And honestly I do go to work if I have just a cold but I know there are people who would prefer I didn't (especially as I work retail so I'm spreading it to my coworkers and everyone who comes in). So. there is reason to look down on some one who tries to tough it out as well rather than look up to.

Sometimes people have harder lives than you... maybe stop assuming everyone has the same health level as you.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
You weren't fired for that. I have no idea what the real reason is, but that was just the reason they needed to list for legal/HR.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
3267073289_8ff3ed2e54_z.jpg

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get laid off today from a part time gig. Technically I was hired as seasonal but they specifically said during the interview I'd be staying, of course I noticed last night that I'm not on the schedule for next week which usually only means one thing. I'm less annoyed about being let go and more pissed they didn't give me prior notice of this as now I gotta scramble to get something else together that works with my schedule. What makes it even more annoying is I know exactly why they're doing it and it ain't me being a bad worker, it's just gonna be too much paper work so they're gonna let the employee who's called customers a bitch to their face stay just because firing him would be a hassle and let me go just because I'm seasonal and it's easier.

I was really really really feeling horrible last night though, I was actually suicidal over it because getting said job was one of the only really positive things going for me after a year of running around like a moron but right now right now, I'll live I just gotta keep myself moving.