• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I need new tires on my car but I'm not sure who to go with, Costco or my dealership.

Costco's price can go between 650 to 840 depending on the brand. It comes with certain benefits:
  • Free lifetime inflation pressure checks
  • Free lifetime tire balancing
  • Free tire rotations
  • Free flat repairs
Tires are filled with nitrogen which apparently keeps pressure for longer than compressed air. However, it doesn't include alignment, which you need so that's another cost to consider. Not sure if they provide that service or if I have to go somewhere else for that.

Another thing, which I'm not sure how big of a deal it is, is that Costco doesn't list my exact tire size. Going off from what the dealership provided, the size is supposed to be 235/60/R18. Costco lists tires for my car that are 235/65/R17. Slightly different numbers but I don't know what that means.

The dealership is charging 710 for the tires and alignment for 130 bringing up total to 840. It's the same brand and tires that my car comes stock with, Hankook. The warranty is a bit different:
  • Replacement at 100% of Original Cost. Replacement tires are reimbursed at 100% of the original cost of the tire, up to $599. (Subject to limitations.)
  • Free Protection for 24 Months. Tires are covered for 24 months from the date of purchase. (Other exclusions apply.)
  • Repairs Reimbursed up to $40. Repairs are reimbursed up to $40 per tire per occurrence.
They also fill your tires for free. I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay for tire rotations and balancing.

What do you guys usually do? I'm leaning towards dealership.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Tirerack and AAA car care center is the route I take. I have 20in Z rated tires, going through the dealership would cost me $5-$600 more.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
You can buy tires at a dealership?

I assume it is a terrible deal like repairs.

I generally go with Discount Tire.

$200/tire seems a bit steep to me but then again I have a sedan which doesn't have particularly expensive tires.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
lol you should never go through the dealership unless the manufacturer is covering it

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
There are 10,000 tire places out there. Do not go to the dealership. You can more than likely get the same tire somewhere else for a fraction of the price with balancing included.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
I've been going with Discount Tire plus their warranty with no regrets. I get my car maintenance done at the dealership but that's only because it's currently cheaper for me to do so. If not for that I'd avoid them.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
Last time I bought tires I used tirebuyer.com because they were about 33% cheaper (from around $600 per tire down to about $400 per tire) and had an Autotire store install them (which was like $100?). I didn't get any warranties or free services because I didn't buy the tires through Autotire but it saved me ~$800.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I went with the Michelin deal Costco had (expired yesterday) it ended up being $470 for 4 Corolla tires after tax

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Both sound rather expensive tbh. Just go to a Discount Tire (they do free refills and have fixed flats for free for me too). Or Tire Rack and get them shipped to a recommended local installer.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I went to a regular garage/shop for new tires. Saved a bunch of money versus going to a dealership. Usually better benefits and warranties too.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I love Costco, and I usually get tires from there, but man is it crowded. If you need to fix a flat under warranty you better get there an hour before it opens or plan to leave your car there.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Whatever you do DO NOT go to NTB. Their techs are terribly trained. They don't know how to change their mind let alone change a tire.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I love Costco, and I usually get tires from there, but man is it crowded. If you need to fix a flat under warranty you better get there an hour before it opens or plan to leave your car there.

I think the idea is that you get your tires serviced while shopping or grabbing lunch. I agree that the spike in popularity has increased waiting times.

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
R18 or R17 is the size of your wheels. Are yours 17" or 18"?

FWIW my dealership price-matches whatever the cheapest tire price in town is, but that seems pretty rare.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think the idea is that you get your tires serviced while shopping or grabbing lunch. I agree that the spike in popularity has increased waiting times.

It might be my costco, which is crazy busy, but it will often take at least a couple of hours if not more if you don't get there at the break of dawn.

Jul 18, 2018
Got mine replaced at Costco during fall time. Then I got a flat in winter and came in and they replaced it for free instead. 17 inch wheels. However I came in the morning and had to leave vehicle there for the day because they were so busy. However this is my 3rd time doing it via Sam's club or Costco

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Anything but the dealership. They quoted me for 4 new tires and an alignment $1000. I went to Firestone and got 4 tires, alignment and a synthetic oil change for $700.

From other's experience, I recommend Discount Tire as their warranties on tire are crazy good

OP
OP
Molecule

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
R18 or R17 is the size of your wheels. Are yours 17" or 18"?

FWIW my dealership price-matches whatever the cheapest tire price in town is, but that seems pretty rare.
I believe mine are 18. Yeah, dealership offers that as well but has to be the same tire. I might just go with Costco going by what some of you are saying. That's what I've always done with previous cars but since this one is new I want to do what's best.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Neither tbh. Go to a tire shop or buy the tires from tirerack and have them installed at a tire shop. Dealerships are more expensive and I've never had a good experience at Costco when it came to tires. Discount/ America's tires and wheel works around here are good.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I went through Tirerack and had a local shop do the mounting and balancing, turned out way cheaper.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I always do Discount Tire and have a great experience every time, and the prices usually seem around what I find them for online with the convenience and great warranty from them.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I just got 4 new tires and got them from Tire Rack, and had a local tire place mount them for me. All told it was probably like $900 or so, but I do a lot of miles a year so bought more premium tires. DId the same for my wife's car and it was about $650 for tires + installation.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
What the fuck? Never heard of anybody getting tires at a dealship. I've never got super into the tire game but places like Discount Tire have always been reasonable.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Another thing, which I'm not sure how big of a deal it is, is that Costco doesn't list my exact tire size. Going off from what the dealership provided, the size is supposed to be 235/60/R18. Costco lists tires for my car that are 235/65/R17. Slightly different numbers but I don't know what that means.
On the Costco site, did it ask you for your exact make, model and trim level? It could be the case that the base trim on that model has 17" wheels, but your trim has 18". (And of some models offer different wheel sizes as an upgrade, not necessarily tied to a certain trim.) Hopefully the site lets you select an exact tire size, if the model finder doesn't get you an exact match.

What I've done in the past is order from Tire Rack, have them shipped to a tire shop and installed there. If you can get a well-reviewed tire in the proper size from Costco, and the price isn't out of line vs. buying online & having someone local install it, I'd probably go that route. Don't really care about the nitrogen, but free flat repairs and rotation is a plus.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Going by their name, Discount Tire must use cheap, shoddy tires. After all, they are DISCOUNT tires. I would never drive around with discount tires on my car.

I'm just kidding but the name always felt a little funny to me... like you could take it two ways. They are tires discounted from their original MSRP. Or they are low end, budget tires.

I used Tirerack last time and it was a good experience. Will most likely do so again.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait until Firestone has their lifetime alignment offer. It will basically paid for itsellf

Oct 27, 2017
Another vote for discount tire here, got a new set of tires 2 weeks ago for my car, brand new, with certificates for replacements if anything happens to them and paid 320 total, they also balance and rotate them every so often for you as well.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I got my tires from Costco. In fact, I scheduled an appointment to go get them rotated today. If you go to Costco and need service afterwards, I recommend making an appointment online cause it'll save you a few hours of waiting.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Discount tires have been popping up like weeds near me (3 in the last 6 months), but I have heard nothing but horrible things about them. Labor seems to be the biggest issue as they hire people who apparently aren't trained enough to be doing the job.

I got my last set of tires off tire rack. They shipped to my mechanic and they did the change/balance/etc for $80, they even disposed of the old set. If I had a Costco near me I would check it out though.

Deleted member 55966

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Do the following OP:
I went through Tirerack and had a local shop do the mounting and balancing, turned out way cheaper.
Tirerack will deliver to shops. Tirerack is also exceptional at teaching you about tires, their tradeoffs, and their competition. I pretty much exclusively use them at this point.

There is a concept called plus sizing. You can do something called plus size zero, but the second and third number has to be the same so that tire is not going to match.

EDIT: Some of you people driving Porsches? Most I've ever paid for new tires + balance is $600 and those were some really nice tires.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't go to Costco for tires anymore. They need 3-4 hours to change my tires. The local America's Tires shop does in 30 minutes for the same price with the same benefits.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I always used a dealership. Generally was around $800ish for tire and rim + installation. Felt about right price wise.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I use discount tire because they have these same

• Free lifetime inflation pressure checks
  • Free lifetime tire balancing
  • Free tire rotations
  • Free flat repairs*

there's also more locations and dont require a costco membership.
*if you buy the "insurance" which is like 15 bucks a tire.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Only time we go to the dealership if for our exotic roadster, cause the tires/installation cost the same at that price point

Otherwise, it's Costco. They simply are much cheaper and reliable.

tbh, that insurance aspect doesn't mean much. At the end of the day, they give you a hard time. Tire inflation is a non-point cause I have a pump in every car.

May 25, 2019
London
Costco doesn't do tire alignment so you're going to need to make a 2nd stop somewhere (independent shop or dealership) for that. To me that really hurts the value proposition at Costco.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Check with Costco to see if it's the right tire

Or buy tires from discount tire (which is what I do - rotations are free but a dealership asks money for it lol)

Never buy anything from a dealership other than the car - almost everything at a dealership is overpriced.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I could see some maintenance being done at the dealership, but tires aren't magic - there's really no special knowledge that a dealer will have that a reputable service shop won't.

Last time I needed new tires, the dealership gave me a proposal of $1000 or so for new tires. I went onto tire rack, and saw that they were mediocre tires. I got good tires and had them mounted/balanced at a local place (Direct Tire) for 600 in total.

OP, what's the make/model of your car? You can just enter that on the Tire Rack site to get what they have in stock. We can also help you pick out some tires.