• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I showed my wife Inside, and since then she has been very intrigued with gaming. She really loved Life is Strange, and the TellTale games. She also became addicted to Stardew Valley, she put over 70 hours into that game.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Had them play some games over the years, including: Portal 2, Snipperclips, Puyo Puyo Tetris, ARMS, Overcooked, Mario Odyssey. Probably liked Tetris and Overcooked best but never gonna be a gamer like me...

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
My girlfriend is really not interested in videogames and considers them a waste of time... She has played Journey and Ghost Trick and enjoyed them both thoroughly enven when she had never touched a controller before. I think I can convert her or at least let her see that there are some good reasons to waste your time with them.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
My girlfriend is really not interested in videogames and considers them a waste of time... She has played Journey and Ghost Trick and enjoyed them both thoroughly enven when she had never touched a controller before. I think I can convert her or at least let her see that there are some good reasons to waste your time with them.
I think the trick is coop games. She wants to hang out with you and be a part of your hobby. Yes this means you will have to sacrifice some of your alone gaming time. But it will be worth it in the long run because she will be more involved in your hobby. My wife and I have been playing Cuphead. She loves it even though it's pretty hard for her. We will eventually be it but she loves it so much she doesn't care how many times she dies

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I can never tell what my SO will get into when it comes to games.

She is currently into Spelunky, and before that it was Dragon Quest Builders and Minecraft. But then one time she played through the whole campaign of Call of Duty Modern Warfare. The only sure bet is Zelda games. She loves those.

I really wish I could share my hobby with her more often though because I always feel guilty for leaving her alone upstairs while I go down to play games, which leads to me not playing many games at all and those that I do play are after she is asleep. And that causes me to be tired at work the next day.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend is a huge gamer, I got her a copy of Portal 2 on Steam and we had a blast.

Oct 27, 2017
Just show her games you think she might like. I find social cooperative games like Overcooked or Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes interest non gamers quite a bit.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
My wife became interested in playing games with me after Journey, which she absolutely adored. Since then we've played through Broken Age, Dust: An Elysian Tale, BotW, Mario + Rabbids (plus a few others that I'm probably forgetting). We tried a few that she couldn't get into (Ratchet and Clank, twin-stick shooting was too hard, or Final Fantasy 12 where she didn't like the characters and mechanics), but she's enjoyed most of the ones that I want to play, which is great.

A friend texted us a bit ago asking if we wanted to hang after work, and my wife privately messaged me saying "I really just wanted to game tonight" because she's had a really stressful week. So I'd say mission accomplished in terms of sharing my hobby with her. :D

Oct 27, 2017
Don't force them, it'll just make them hate it even more. Just occasionally introduce them to a game, and they might become interested in one and they might not. My wife loves Nintendo Land and Splatoon 1/2 and nothing else.

If they don't enjoy anything then just move on. It's not for every body

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
Biggest tip (as mentioned by others) is to think of something your SO would actually like, not just something you like. I tried to show my girlfriend Journey, Uncharted, and Zelda but she just didn't like them. It bummed me out because I loved them, but I was missing the point.

A few months later I bought The Witness on a playstation sale and next thing you know she's ripping the controller out of my hands so she can solve another puzzle.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Both the wife and I love gaming its just finding time, that is the problem. For Switch games we completed overcooked and are currently playing Fire Emblem Warriors. Have to say we would be enjoying FEW more if they would have had co op with multiple Switch systems.
I second that. It's a big disappointment for us, too.
We often play together, he is a Monster Hunter maniac (I introduced it to him and he became way better than me), I'm a RPG lover and musou maniac. We tried Fire Emblem Warriors with splitscreen but... Ewww. It was a great help in Hyrule Warriors, but on FEW it's a pain, the console struggles and I don't like split screen for a musou game.

Sometimes I miss MMORPG. He often played a tanky character, I often played a support or nuker. We farmed for each other. And we both love theorycrafting. He's really my player 2.

The downside of this is to buy all twice !

BigApple3AM

Oct 29, 2017
Luckily, my girlfriend is into video games. She isn't a major gamer perse but she owns a 3DS and has a bigger collection than I do on mine. She is a big GameCube fan and adores Zelda. Clearly, that is big for me.

She doesn't partake in many games outside of the Nintendo brand but she will watch me play Horizon or Crash Bandicoot for hours. She just picked up Phantom Hourglass and Pokemon Omega Ruby.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
The closest i've gotten her was to play Fallout Shelter on Steam. She got so hooked that she eventually downloaded it on her iPhone and now has like triple the dwellers I do and plays it every day.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend has pretty interesting taste in games. Right now she's obsessed with Stardew Valley, but she's also got way into FTL, Towerfall, Binding of Issac, Spelunky, Hearthstone, and Dragon Age: Inquisition. After that last one I tried to get her to play Mass Effect 2 and Witcher 3 but she bounced off both of them

Shigo_Naito

Oct 28, 2017
I second that. It's a big disappointment for us, too.
We often play together, he is a Monster Hunter maniac (I introduced it to him and he became way better than me), I'm a RPG lover and musou maniac. We tried Fire Emblem Warriors with splitscreen but... Ewww. It was a great help in Hyrule Warriors, but on FEW it's a pain, the console struggles and I don't like split screen for a musou game.

Sometimes I miss MMORPG. He often played a tanky character, I often played a support or nuker. We farmed for each other. And we both love theorycrafting. He's really my player 2.

The downside of this is to buy all twice !

We spent so much time grinding in Hyrule Warriors and enjoyed playing with her on the controller and myself on the screen. We really hoped FE:W would be the same.

I hear you about the buying things twice. When the Switch started pre orders I was up at midnight clicking refresh button like mad to get not just one gray for myself but a colored one for her. Dont think I would have been able to play Zelda if we only had one, she is at 600+ hours on the game

Neto

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
When we started dating, my wife had zero experience with gaming. In order to introduce her to the medium, I helped her to play through the following games (more or less in chronological order):
  • Journey
  • Braid
  • Brothers: A tale of two sons
  • Never Alone
  • To the moon
  • Portal 1/2
  • LIMBO
She played them all to completion.
Then we started playing Terraria together and, after I stopped playing it, she kept going and put over 400 hours in it. Fast forward five years, and now she's been playing Rimworld and the Mass Effect series. We also played a lot of local multiplayer games (couch vs [Lethal League, Speed Runners...] and coop [Spelunky, Guacamelee, Overcooked...]) and she loves Tower Fall to this day.

As a general tip, I think that anyone who want to present gaming to their partner should start with some low-input, narrative-oriented games (but nothing too overwhelmingly text heavy). Artsy indie games that he/she can end in one sitting with you by the side to help with the controller struggles and gaming tropes are the best ones for that in my opinion.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
My s/o tends to really enjoy games, but we have somewhat different tastes. She tends to really enjoy MMOs while I prefer more single/local coop games. She will occasionally get very interested in some games that i'm playing like tell tale games as I remember her really seeming to enjoy wolf among us. She's been interested enough to pick some games up like NieR or FFXV after watching me play through the majority of them, but she didn't really seem to pick them up again besides once or twice. I've tried picking up the MMOs that she plays, but I, similarly, can't get into them either. It's unfortunate, and I would like to try and get her more into my games and/or find an mmo I'd enjoy playing with her though.

I do have to echo snipper clips though, we had a blast playing through the demo, and I'll be picking up the full game for us to try at some point.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
both me and my bf were interested in games before we got together
we recently played divinity original sin 2 together, I would heartily recommend it

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 3 is a good choice, easy enough to pick up, deep enough to learn some basic mechanics that can apply to other games, and normal difficulty is super easy.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Main reason I had a WiiU.

She enjoyed the older mario party games from the Wii and Nintendo land. Since we moved on to the switch there's less on there she enjoys playing. So to keep the interest alive I got her an old DS and the Professor Layton games.

Good on Nintendo for having a real diverse line up, otherwise it would just be Resogun on the PS4.

Chrizzy_81

Oct 28, 2017
England
My wife is a big Nintendo fan, so the Wii U was perfect for local co-op, especially mario 3d world. She hasn't been so enthused with the switch yet outside of mario kart, and doesn't dig Odyssey's two player sadly. We did however have fun recently playing love in a dangerous space time. Would love any other suggestions, she is not a fan of shooty games as she calls them.

Edit by shooty games I mean FPS games.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
I only bring games to my girlfriend that I genuinely think she will like. Her gaming experience was pretty much limited to Crash Bandicoot and Crazy Taxi as a kid.

I have had a pretty high batting average with Snipperclips, Her Story, Stardew Valley, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy, and Papers Please (her favorite).

We started Super Mario Odyssey the other night which she liked watching, but the openness of the world stresses her out a bit compared to the linear design of Crash. Given that, I'm not going to push her to play it.

My biggest tip: Be honest with yourself about whether you actually think your SO would like the game you're trying to get them to play/watch you play. I don't try to convince my girlfriend to watch me play Dark Souls, The Witcher 3, Destiny or Overwatch because I know 100% she will get nothing out of any of that.

Edit: You'll know it's a game they're into when YOU end up watching THEM play. That's what happened with us and Papers Please.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
My wife was an RE4 Mercenaries addict before we even knew each other, so I suppose I'm lucky in that I don't have to worry about my player 2, but I will say that I can empathize. Those folks who say that it's weird to want your significant other or kids to like what you like are being deliberately disingenuous or are just ignorant; it's perfectly natural to wanna share something you're passionate about with those you love as you want to share everything with them. I'm not a fan of Miyazaki films, but you bet your ass I try to engage with them when my wife wants to watch them as she and my daughter are both huge fans. Find something that fits their fancy and play it in front of them; they'll probably just want to give it a shot, at that point if they like it you're in like Flynn.

Miz

Oct 26, 2017
My wife shows no interest in gaming. She doesn't mind that I love it, and encourages me to play because she knows it is my passion, but I cant convince her to try. Only 'game' she plays is Candy Crush, and she plays it RELIGIOUSLY!