• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Apparently dude said he was blacklisted by the publisher to save face with his audience, turns out he lied. Influencers are dodgy, world keeps turning.

No-one in this type of partnership can be trusted in what they're saying is the problem, both parties are interested in selling you things and making as much money as possible from that. Realistically it would seem unlikely that the guy would ever know he was being blacklisted (certainly this soon), most companies would just stop giving you work over time, they're not going to tell you that's what is happening because it creates bad PR situations like this.

bighugeguns

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
No-one in this type of partnership can be trusted in what they're saying is the problem, both parties are interested in selling you things and making as much money as possible from that. Realistically it would seem unlikely that the guy would ever know he was being blacklisted (certainly this soon), most companies would just stop giving you work over time, they're not going to tell you that's what is happening because it creates bad PR situations like this.
Oh I'm sure there are assholes abound in this pseudo shadow marketing world.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently dude said he was blacklisted by the publisher to save face with his audience, turns out he lied. Influencers are dodgy, world keeps turning.
What is he saving face about here with his audience exactly? Oh man my video got removed. What likely happened was a miscommunication from the Australian team vs what the British CM said.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I dug this dude's videos for a time, but then I stopped once he started complaining about how Battlefield 1 focused too much on the black soldiers.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Took all of 10 mins for someone I know to get removed from the EA GC program. He said something in a public forum he shouldnt have with EA CMs and devs around and was pretty much immediately removed.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is he saving face about here with his audience exactly? Oh man my video got removed. What likely happened was a miscommunication from the Australian team vs what the British CM said.

That he lied that he was blacklisted and that EA told him to take the video down because of the negative review?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt EA paid him to review their game... They probably paid him to make a video that promotes their game, and then he turned it into a critical review. I don't think he is a victim here - he literally took money to promote a game and then did the opposite of that. Yes, paying influencers is shady, but that's how they make a living - taking money to convince their followers to buy shit.

This analysis is so dumb.

That's not how you become an influencer.

You become an influencer by putting in the work to build an audience so large that companies like EA want to bribe you.

If you don't have that audience you can't influence people.

If you have that large of an audience you are making money. Though the degree of earnings will vary between these social media magnets.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Dude's name was familiar, but as I read the thread I remember why. It's the "anti-SJW" stuff I've earlier probably heard about. And EA shouldn't entertain anyone doing that shit, don't partner up with these kind of people please. EA has been doing good on representation and diversity front and pushing back against the backlash, but partnering up with these guys undermines that. Should be blacklisted for that shit alone. I'm all for people discussing about historical accuracy and authenticity in games or any media. But when you start complaining about "SJW:s", you're not arguing in favor of historical accuracy but against diversity.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017

You become an influencer by putting in the work to build an audience so large that companies like EA want to bribe you.

If you have that large of an audience you are making money. Though the degree of earnings will vary between these social media magnets.
Thanks man! I guess it would've been too hard to say this without insulting me, but thanks for sharing your insights.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time someone was blacklisted from EA game changers after giving their honest opinion about something. I believe it happened to both levelcap and skillup as well. If anything, I see this whole, "being blacklisted by EA game changer", as a stamp of approval, that their opinion hasn't been bought out. Now, it's possible to not be black listed, simply due to the fact that their honest opinion about something isn't negative, so I'm not going to start painting everyone in that program as sell outs.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine defending a GG that lies for attention cause they hate the same game you do.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every post in this thread till the threadmark? Even after it there are people defending him

I've read the threadmark. I'm not sure what that has to do with him being a GamerGator? I don't particularly like this false framing of the thread that you've done here either. People are discussing the issues with paying people to be part of the GameChanger group. And I know for many content creators it's a hard one.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
This is shitty on both sides but I can't see how this is worse on the company who has taken the review down because paid for it but it wasn't of it's liking than for the guy who admittedly accepts a company's money to review its products. The second is a huge conflict of interest! It is even comical that the guy is using the situation for his own personal gain and people are buying it just because EA sucks.
You don't see how it's worse on the company? The ethics go both ways, but they're in the clearly advantageous position and are being more shifty and manipulative in their tactics. The reviewer bears responsibility, absolutely, but EA know exactly what they're doing and what it entails. They're not the only ones in the industry doing it, but they're still doing it.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Every post in this thread till the threadmark? Even after it there are people defending him
Yeah, that's complete hyperbole. Firstly my posts and many others were both critical of EA and this guy, who I've never personally heard of until today, and I don't have any feelings about Anthem either way. Sponsored reviews are unethical and that falls on both of them regardless of why the video was pulled, which still isn't clear.

Oct 30, 2017
I dug this dude's videos for a time, but then I stopped once he started complaining about how Battlefield 1 focused too much on the black soldiers.
tenor.gif

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is this dude seriously one of those "Women weren't invented until after WW2" fuckers?

Currently checking his BFV video this.

edit: He doesn't say anything like this in his vid. He covers complaints of "historical accuracy" for a short moment, saying it doesn't bother him.

e: post 392 is enough for me though.

Imagine defending a GG that lies for attention cause they hate the same game you do.

I've never seen this.

e: and it appears he was never blacklisted... so I dunno what he was thinking or doing. It'd be really dumb if he didn't properly read an email or something.

Last edited:

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Yeah, that's complete hyperbole. Firstly my posts and many others were both critical of EA and this guy, who I've never personally heard of until today, and I don't have any feelings about Anthem either way. Sponsored reviews are unethical and that falls on both of them regardless of why the video was pulled, which still isn't clear.
Not to mention, when did being considered a GG'er have such a low bar to entry? As far as I know, he has never even brought up GG let alone endorsed it.
Go watch his BFV review, there is nothing controversial in there, he literally said the women in multiplayer doesn't bother him. The only time I've heard him use SJW was in the MGS5 review and it was a 1 line punchline to a joke. If you want to hear more about his thoughts on devs striving for more diversity in games watch his CoDWW2 review, hint, it ain't controversial.

Here let me link them for you;
https://youtu.be/Nhls5BAqLSs (Full BFV review)
https://youtu.be/RY9XC7zRxYg?t=400 (Timestamped to part about historical accuracy)
https://youtu.be/IcYi_67xfho?t=335 (Timestamped to joke)

If you have proof that he's an alt-right shitlord or gamergate supporter than feel free to supply receipts otherwise stop making shit up.

/rant
Now we can get back on topic.

bighugeguns

Banned
Feb 21, 2019
Not to mention, when did being considered a GG'er have such a low bar to entry? As far as I know, he has never even brought up GG let alone endorsed it.
Go watch his BFV review, there is nothing controversial in there, he literally said the women in multiplayer doesn't bother him. The only time I've heard him use SJW was in the MGS5 review and it was a 1 line punchline to a joke. If you want to hear more about his thoughts on devs striving for more diversity in games watch his CoDWW2 review, hint, it ain't controversial.

Here let me link them for you;
https://youtu.be/Nhls5BAqLSs (Full BFV review)
https://youtu.be/RY9XC7zRxYg?t=400 (Timestamped to part about historical accuracy)
https://youtu.be/IcYi_67xfho?t=335 (Timestamped to joke)

If you have proof that he's an alt-right shitlord or gamergate supporter than feel free to supply receipts otherwise stop making shit up.

/rant
Now we can get back on topic.
Holy damage control, Bruce, is this you, you the ggg guy? Your location checks out.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Dun dun dun..
The plot thickens.

This whole paid ads on youtube thing will blow up sometime anyway, but at least they are forced to disclose so you can steer away for now.

I have no idea if it's EA or this guy who is lying now regarding the take down but it seems that EA at least tries to follow the rules regarding paid ads.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No one managed to save the original video?
He's been anti-SJW since Firewatch review ("I'm glad that Firewatch doesn't have any sort of PC agenda...it's really refreshing to play a game with no political message or agenda").

Or it could go even further, but that's when his politics stuck out to me.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one managed to save the original video?

He's been anti-SJW since Firewatch review ("I'm glad that Firewatch doesn't have any sort of PC agenda...it's really refreshing to play a game with no political message or agenda").

Or it could go even further, but that's when his politics stuck out to me.

Well fuck this guy then.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
His constant "Keep politics out of games" whining made me stop watching him. I still use him during steamsale when I need a better deeper opinion on a game but even that is getting rare now.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Have we yet uncovered what EA had issues with or just assuming it is a negative perspective with the video?

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017

Nothing you said in your post disputes what he said in his post.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the original video before it was taken down, and he did mention getting a preview of the game with the gamechangers program, maybe he had to say it differently or something else