• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
488.gif

One of the worst companies in the entire human history.
EA bad, praise GERALDO.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Have we yet uncovered what EA had issues with or just assuming it is a negative perspective with the video?

One thing that I personally see as a big NO thing, is that the video is titled as Review. As far as I know, sponsored content and reviews cause massive conflict of interest issues. Something everybody wants to avoid. On Battlefield and Battlefront, for example, we do not do sponsored reviews, ever.

But I do not know the background behind this particular case, sorry.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood influencers. Seems like they try to use hype to sucker people into buying games. I mean shit they literally try to coerce you to buy a game. Wouldn't anyone in their right mind ignore their opinions because you know they will be biased?

Anyway, good on this dude for being honest. Fuck EA.

Edit: duh. Pay attention thrillhouse

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has it been proven he lied? The OP says nothing about that (or hasn't been updated yet). I watched a few of his videos and his reviews of old games are pretty nice. Frankly speaking, the whole thing looks like a misunderstanding from both parties.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
One thing that I personally see as a big NO thing, is that the video is titled as Review. As far as I know, sponsored content and reviews cause massive conflict of interest issues. Something everybody wants to avoid. On Battlefield and Battlefront, for example, we do not do sponsored reviews, ever.

That makes sense, influencers or whatever they are called should be named as Impressions to try to avoid the "pay for review" aspect.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shocked that a "games jounalist" who chose a handle starting with GG is a GamerGater.

That makes sense, influencers or whatever they are called should be named as Impressions to try to avoid the "pay for review" aspect.

Should have a PAID ADVERTISEMENT banner across the bottom of the video.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
No one managed to save the original video?

He's been anti-SJW since Firewatch review ("I'm glad that Firewatch doesn't have any sort of PC agenda...it's really refreshing to play a game with no political message or agenda").

Or it could go even further, but that's when his politics stuck out to me.

Oof, I wonder how he felt about Campo Santo filing DMCA takedown against Pewdiepie for his heated gaming moment.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

Yep, "sponsored review" sounds like an oxymoron.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing you said in your post disputes what he said in his post.
His post says influencers earn their money from advertising deals as if that is how they only make money. I'm pointing out that's not their primary income and they wouldn't even be offered that bonus if they hadn't already been successful making money with the audience they have. He even agreed with my critique but didn't approve of my opening insult.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
He's been anti-SJW since Firewatch review ("I'm glad that Firewatch doesn't have any sort of PC agenda...it's really refreshing to play a game with no political message or agenda").

Or it could go even further, but that's when his politics stuck out to me.
Imagine thinking Firewatch isn't political.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It's in threadmarks. I think that's what we use nowadays rather than updating OP. Though why not both.

Gotcha. I gotta get used to that, it's not always super clear for someone combing through the thread unless they happen to notice the 'Threadmarks' thing, which honestly I didn't until you pointed it out.

Summary of the main confusion over the takedown.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Why isn't this at the top of the OP?
Because it's still not clear, as SkillUp says here. There is another Anthem Gamechangers video (A positive one may I add) still up on Gggmanlives' channel with the exact same disclosure as what was in his review and Lee hasn't clarified exactly why this video, despite having the same disclosure, was asked to be removed because it didn't meet disclosure requirements.

Edit: I accidentally created a threadmark when I was messing around with it to see what it is, how does one delete a threadmark they created?
Edit 2: How did I actually create the threadmark in the first place. It's not the most user-friendly system to figure out lol :(

Last edited:

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this guy has been problematic for a while imo. I remember his Wolfenstien 2 review where he was angry about the game being too political and "pandering" to leftists

sorry misremembering

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Do he turned out to be some kind of alt right person? God damn it, I liked his reviews.

Another one I am going to stop watching.

Yeah, I've been suspicious for a while due to some of the language he uses but I haven't stopped watching his content. I've missed most of this topic, but has some evidence come to light? I remember in his Ion Maiden review I think it was, he referred to her as a thot. And he's mentioned something in another review about something being okay if you don't have an SJW stick up your arse.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I meant the actual tweets for people to see themselves.
I was unaware of 'threadmarks'; they should make that a whole lot more noticeable.
Sure, trying to keep it clean as there's a number of tweets throughout the thread and quite an erratic timeline to follow. The point surrounding the tweets is that it isn't a remedy to the situation either - it's not some 'case closed' moment even if it appeared to be. There's question marks over exactly what the issue is when there's videos with the same disclosure that are more favourable and still live.

The guy seems to be a shitheel from what people are saying, so I'm not really concerned with his specific case, more interested in why the video was taken down. Negative anthem review with allegedly the same disclosure as other existing videos, yet it's taken down for disclosure. Yet the guy claims he removed the disclosure watermarks from the video to reupload, which is what we have now. A negative review with no mention that they got the game for free and are part of the sponsorship program. Which was allegedly EA's issue with the original, but now seemingly isn't an issue? It's all a bit of a writhing mess with shit on both sides.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Never heard of this guy but someone linked his video yesterday in one of the Anthem threads and I watched it. He had the Game Changer watermark in the beginning of the video like every other Anthem video. Not sure why he would get taken down for that. Something's missing here.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Yeah this guy has been problematic for a while imo. I remember his Wolfenstien 2 review where he was angry about the game being too political and "pandering" to leftists
I hate to be a broken record but are you thinking of the right person, unless he's gone back and changed all of his reviews I just watch his Wolfenstein 2 review and it had nothing even close to that in it. Feel free to check for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUt0rNn0p1c

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've been suspicious for a while due to some of the language he uses but I haven't stopped watching his content. I've missed most of this topic, but has some evidence come to light? I remember in his Ion Maiden review I think it was, he referred to her as a thot. And he's mentioned something in another review about something being okay if you don't have an SJW stick up your arse.
He was complaining about Battlefield 1 having to much black guys in the MP mode and about Wolfenstein 2.

Sucks because his classic FPS reviews were great.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can't help but see the sheer amount of people saying this guy is a Gamergater and saying about how he said this in the Battlefield review and that in the Wolfenstein review...

Then you have ShadowAUS confused, linking to the reviews and asking where he's saying those things, and being ignored or accused of being the content creator..

That he's a dick seems to be a common held thought from all the replies, so shouldn't be hard to post a receipt or two in response.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Can't help but see the sheer amount of people saying this guy is a Gamergater and saying about how he said this in the Battlefield review and that in the Wolfenstein review...

Then you have ShadowAUS confused, linking to the reviews and asking where he's saying those things, and being ignored or accused of being the content creator..

That he's a dick seems to be a common held thought from all the replies, so shouldn't be hard to post a receipt or two in response.
Yeh any evidence to back up these claims would be great, I watch a lot of this guys videos and have never caught this alt right gamergate stance of his.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This thread is funny.
I don't think that's making a real point, just a throwaway line. Nothing to warrant the 10+ responses making sure people know that EA isn't actually the worst company in the world. Just seemed to be derailing after awhile with people just replying agreeing with each other to as much. Either way I didn't want people to think I held it so made the edit.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Messofanego posted Firewatch clip (with a timestamp) on the earlier page.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Appreciate the heads up, must have missed it. Will take a look.
I browsed through the BF1 and Wolfenstein reviews people mentioned, but didn't see what was said to be there (didn't watch in full, so might be is missed it if it was just a a sentence or two). He seems to have lack of interest for storytelling in his shooters, so I don't know if people have misunderstood his critique of the stories to be about something else. He even starts the Wolfenstein review which to me seems like calling out the people who think the game is too political, as it's Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein is about killing nazis so of course it fits the context. Though I'm not a native English speaker so maybe I misunderstood what he said, that's possible too.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I mean, okay, I guess it's time to find the door.
I've noticed every topic that pertains to people bad mouthing ea you consistently leave a comment saying you're leaving. I totally get that the poster you replied to said fuck ea, but that's not something to get upset over. Someone at EA took down the YouTubers review. They're obviously doing damage control and I completely see people's frustration that ea is trying to silence people. They're in their right to disassociate themselves from whoever they'd like, so there's no problem there. But someone saying fuck ea is understandable to me at least.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Mike Ybarra - watch and listen to influencers and make your own decisions.

Influencers - the game is has tons of issues

Mike Ybarra -
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Messofanego posted Firewatch clip on the earlier page.
Hadn't seen that one before but I also don't find it controversial or problematic personally. I don't agree but many people have issues with what they see as everything being overly politically correct both in and out of the video game sphere and it's no way limited to the right. Hell, my Mum has complained about "PC Culture" and she's a Green Party (Though I believe she votes for the Sex Party these days though they renamed to the Reason Party recently I think) voting card-carrying OG feminist.

I DO think his take was a bad read on the story of Firewatch because there are a lot of political undertones to the story and I very much liked that about it. But that doesn't make him Anti-SJW, and it's nowhere near the level of him being Alt-Right.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I've noticed every topic that pertains to people bad mouthing ea you consistently leave a comment saying you're leaving. I totally get that the poster you replied to said fuck ea, but that's not something to get upset over. Someone at EA took down the YouTubers review. They're obviously doing damage control and I completely see people's frustration that ea is trying to silence people. They're in their right to disassociate themselves from whoever they'd like, so there's no problem there. But someone saying fuck ea is understandable to me at least.
I dont know, with all that we know about this situation it seems more like that he wanted to cause controversy to get more viewers. And EA didn't take it down, he did.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I dont know, with all that we know about this situation it seems more like that he wanted to cause controversy to get more viewers. And EA didn't take it down, he did.
I don't think any of it is clear at this point. Nobody has proof of anything at the moment.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hadn't seen that one before but I also don't find it controversial or problematic personally. I don't agree but many people have issues with what they see as everything being overly politically correct both in and out of the video game sphere and it's no way limited to the right. Hell, my Mum has complained about "PC Culture" and she's a Green Party (Though I believe she votes for the Sex Party these days though they renamed to the Reason Party recently I think) voting card-carrying OG feminist.

I DO think his take was a bad read on the story of Firewatch because there are a lot of political undertones to the story and I very much liked that about it. But that doesn't make him Anti-SJW, and it's nowhere near the level of him being Alt-Right.

If you are praising a game for not being political you are speaking to a very specific crowd.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland

Sure, I just can't think of any situation where any game would had been overly politically correct. If that can happen, I haven't seen it yet. I've seen games be the opposite though. Sex Party sounds quite rad, by what I just read about it. I'd give them support too, so your mom sounds rad too. I don't know exactly what your mom takes an issue with in "PC culture". I doubt it's diversity, equal rights and representation, I assume it's more about religion based (or otherwise) prudishness and intolerance. Atleast that's what I get from quickly reading about Sex Party. Your mom might be against censorship, as the party is too. But is she against socio-political themes in media (or does she think there's too much of it)? You might be doing a disservice to your mom if you group her with people in gaming community who are against the "SJW:s" and "PC culture".

Last edited:

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am a bit confused as to why trusting influencers is a big deal, when the games press ALSO gets the games for free, as well as tons of shwag, and back in the day would get flown all over the world to go go to both review and preview events that included all sorts of free food, entertainment, and paid trips to places like Hawaii and Vegas.

How is the current influencer game any different?

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not that this changes my opinion of EA cause I already felt pretty shitty about them but this is definitely another issue to throw onto the pile. Really cannot believe some of my favorite franchises are being killed either slowly or quickly. Dead Space, Battlefield, Mass Effect, Titanfall (outside of Apex), list goes on. Why developers continue to get in bed with them and agree to this ludicrous deals with the previous history is insane to me.

They deserve all the shit possible for continuing to release unfinished games with no light at the end of the tunnel. Learned my lesson with Battlefield 5 and won't be burnt again.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so this guy posted a review with a disclaimer saying it was part of the Game Changers program, which suggests he's being sponsored to review the game, which might give EA a bad rep. So EA took it down because that's not what the program is about.

Did I understand this correctly?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
If you are praising a game for not being political you are speaking to a very specific crowd.
I see what you're getting at but again, I don't agree. I've heard many different people from all sides of the political spectrum say they want less or no politics in games, I don't see it as a GG thing. Let me make it clear though, I'm in MANY different gaming communities and forums so I hear many opinions from many different people, including the less politics thing which is why I'm so confident in saying that I don't believe it and GG needs to be connected, as I've talked to people I know for a fact despised GG and everything it stood for and also disliked overly politicised games and games media. This doesn't mean he WASN'T trying to pander to THAT crowd by saying it, he very well could but on its own, it is not enough to really say.

Again, I don't agree with his position, in fact, the opposite. I want more politics in games as I find it can create some really interesting experiences and has the possibility of creating interesting conversations which I love.

I also want to make it clear I'm not defending Gggman to handwave issues people have, you're perfectly free to dislike him and his potential politics (again, I don't find his politics from what I've seen problematic for me personally) but I also want to make sure people are disliking him based on what he's actually done and not just unsourced and unfounded claims. I know that he has said some other edgy shit in the past that I remember cringing at though I can't remember exactly if it was on twitter or a video and I don't even remember what it was exactly. I just don't believe in crucifying someone in the court of public opinion without good cause and evidence to back it up.

But we're really wandering off topic now, and it's my fault so I apologise for that. If anyone wants to continue this conversation feel free to DM me but we should probably try and stay on topic and the topic doesn't really have much to do with his politics.

Edit: I also wanted to apologise for how atroucious my writing is, reading it back it really is a mess. It's 7am here and I've been up all night with gallstone attacks so I'm kind of muddled on painkillers.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I see what you're getting at but again, I don't agree. I've heard many different people from all sides of the political spectrum say they want less or no politics in games, I don't see it as a GG thing. Let me make it clear though, I'm in MANY different gaming communities and forums so I hear many opinions from many different people, including the less politics thing which is why I'm so confident in saying that I don't believe it and GG needs to be connected, as I've talked to people I know for a fact despised GG and everything it stood for and also disliked overly politicised games and games media. This doesn't mean he WASN'T trying to pander to THAT crowd by saying it, he very well could but on its own, it is not enough to really say.

Again, I don't agree with his position, in fact, the opposite. I want more politics in games as I find it can create some really interesting experiences and has the possibility of creating interesting conversations which I love.

I also want to make it clear I'm not defending Gggman to handwave issues people have, you're perfectly free to dislike him and his potential politics (again, I don't find his politics from what I've seen problematic for me personally) but I also want to make sure people are disliking him based on what he's actually done and not just unsourced and unfounded claims. I know that he has said some other edgy shit in the past that I remember cringing at though I can't remember exactly if it was on twitter or a video and I don't even remember what it was exactly. I just don't believe in crucifying someone in the court of public opinion without good cause and evidence to back it up.

But we're really wandering off topic now, and it's my fault so I apologise for that. If anyone wants to continue this conversation feel free to DM me but we should probably try and stay on topic and the topic doesn't really have much to do with his politics.
So as you're part of many different gaming communities, you surely know that very often what is called "politics" is just representation for people who haven't properly had it before (while not taking an issue with actual political themes like in MGS series). Even game like Apex Legends gets shat on for pandering to "SJW:s", even though to my understanding it doesn't really dabble into politics. It's multiplayer shooter without story campaign even. It just has a diverse cast, that's not telling anyone how to vote or anything like that. You're right though, this is probably getting off-topic as it's about GGGmanlives and EA, not you or your mom =) And you're right that we shouldn't just take people's word for something, especially in the internet. But check out for ourselves.

Last edited: