• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
JGA2021.png

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time a foreign studio won the grand award in its history(since '96).

Full list:

Grand Award: Ghost of Tsushima & Monster Hunter Rise

Global Award Japanese Product: Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Global Award Foreign Product: Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Best Sales Award: Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! >3mil sales

Game Designer's Award: Mario Kart Ride Home Circuit

Award for Excellence(10 chosen):

Resident Evil 3
FFVII Remake
TLOU Part 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Genshin Impact
Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban!
Buddy Mission BOND
Umamusume: Pretty Derby
Monster Hunter Rise

Congrats to all the winners! The panelists were a bit amused at Umamusume. One of them was also brave enough to bring up BotW when talking about Ghost of Tsushima(positively) but because they were fully functioning adults it did not devolve into a salt fest.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It's an amazingly well done love letter to Japan, not suprised they return in kind. The devs are also official ambassadors of Tsushima.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
This is great! It must be incredibly gratifying and honoring for Sucker Punch to see Ghost of Tsushima getting so much love from Japan.

I still remember when Internet weebs were feeling offended and outraged by the cultural appropriation of this game. Gotta love the "experts in Japanese culture". 🤪

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
This is great! It must be incredibly gratifying and honoring for Sucker Punch to see Ghost of Tsushima getting so much love from Japan.

I still remember when Internet weebs were feeling offended and outraged by the cultural appropriation of this game. Gotta love the "experts in Japanese culture". 🤪
I've been playing it awhile now and was actually wondering about Japanese reception, but kept forgetting to look it up. I guess now I don't have to. : )

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019

It was definitely not "internet weebs" complaining about cultural appropriation nor about the way the game depicted Japan's Samurai history. Many of the critics were part of the asian diaspora as well so your post is just weird.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Well deserved. Seemed like a lot of respect for Japan went into the development of this game based on what the devs said about their process and what partiers were included in it.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

What? Weebs love Ghost of Tsushima. Don't know what gave you that impression.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
2 amazing game definitely deserved!
Also glad to see RE3R being mentionned there. It is indeed an excellent game :)

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful. Nice to see some positivity around Rise. Sick of some the negativity around the game lately. The mechanics are the best the series has felt to me and the new monsters have all been so good.

OP
OP
Mechaplum

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Just checked out Buddy Mission BOND and it's pretty charming. Also done by the One Punch Man Mangaka. Wonder if I can import it quickly.