• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone else encountering this? My left stick has almost zero deadzone, making it extremely sensitive. Jin will sometimes walk forward completely on his own. I've had drift issues in the past with many dualshock 4s, but this seems to be a different issue. It almost feels like Prey, which also had deadzone issues (which they later patched I believe).

I searched and don't really see anyone talking about this, but surely I can't be the only person having this problem.

Edit: I actually found a video of somebody else having the same exact problem.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a different issue. It still is stick drift. Just the deadzone is probably smaller than normal so it's being noticed a lot more.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
That sucks, most games only detect movement when the analog stick is slightly tilted to avoid this kind of problem (once controllers get a lot of use the analogs tend to get looser).

I guess they can either add a deadzone slider or increase the default deadzone just a tiny bit.

Maybe Wingfan19 can help pass the message, I think he works at SP.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't a different issue. It still is stick drift. Just the deadzone is probably smaller than normal so it's being noticed a lot more.

Yup, this happened to me on The Saboteur on PC, made me realize both of my Xbox one controller have really bad drift issues. But the Xbox in the code leaves a huge gap to compensate for it.

Apparently Tsushima has no gap in dead zone for compensation. So if you are getting auto registrations with Jin you have a drift issue. However they should have done the god of war method and allow you to adjust it.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Same problem I had with Call of Duty:Warzone on Xbox. If you go to the battle royale area map your cursor will move if your stick literally isn't perfect. And since a lot of controllers aren't this becomes an issue.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Happening to me, too. I've never had my left stick register inputs through drifting in any other game I've played with this controller.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
I have a different problem but equally annoying, Jin won't run on a full tilt of the stick.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said it's most likely stick drift. I have it really badly on one of my controllers on the right stick. I had to switch to my other controller which worked fine.

Rixan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, had to not use my SCUF for this game - because the deadzone sensitivity is too finicky i suppose. Ive noticed some more recent games allowing you to modify that.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the entire time I reviewed it I did indeed have 1 time where Jin walked left. To be honest I have so many issues with the PS4 controller setup I blamed it on that. Since it never happened again it didn't seem to be anything other than an anomoly

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
He's not moving on his own but there is no dead zone on the left stick. It's jarring how sensitive it can be. Hope they patch it.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Had this happen once in this game and a few times in TLOU2, but my thought was that it was my controller that was the problem. Hmm..

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I have a different problem but equally annoying, Jin won't run on a full tilt of the stick.

That's not the game problem, unfortunately it's the controller.

From my experience DS4 are just garbage in that regard, I have that problem in both my controllers. Pressing the stick down and blowing into the affected direction might fix it for a bit but it's only a temporary solution.

If you have a PC you can download DS4windows to check your analog sticks readings so you can know exactly how faulty your controller is.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
In the entire time I reviewed it I did indeed have 1 time where Jin walked left. To be honest I have so many issues with the PS4 controller setup I blamed it on that. Since it never happened again it didn't seem to be anything other than an anomoly

On a slight tangent, how did you find the camera during your playthrough? I find it so unwieldy during combat that I am surprised so few reviewers mentioned it.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't had the issue but the camera issues is real stronk. They need options to make the camera go back further or add fov. Plenty of games do that now on consoles. Half the time i im having to zip the camera around because it's fucking 3 inches from the character.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... I've only played for about 2 hours, but I didn't notice this problem. I don't play Ghost of Tsushima with a DualShock 4 though (I use an elite with a wireless adapter I wouldn't think that would matter or give me a different result if this is a dead zone problem though).

ReddishGUI

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I noticed some weird stuff with my left stick... nearly brand-new controller too so I blame the game.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
That's not the game problem, unfortunately it's the controller.

From my experience DS4 are just garbage in that regard, I have that problem in both my controllers. Pressing the stick down and blowing into the affected direction might fix it for a bit but it's only a temporary solution.

If you have a PC you can download DS4windows to check your analog sticks readings so you can know exactly how faulty your controller is.
It's so bad, I own 5 of these controllers and all of them have some horrible issue either with the triggers or the stick. I bought an Xbox converter after the last one broke. Interestingly, the Xbox elite controllers (v1 and v2, I tested both) have this issue, even after I went on my PC and turned the stick sensitivity to full. Now I'm pretty sure this is a combo issue, I'm really curious if anyone with a brooks adapter can replicate the issue, I have a feeling Xbox controllers have different stick zones or the converter is messing with it. Anyway, I'm fairly confident the game has a messed up stick configuration, out of my 5 ps4 controllers 3 of them + the Xbox controllers all have this problem. Ironically, the very first ps4 controller that came with my OG ps4 does not.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
An update:

The issue is so bad for me that it's interfering with my gameplay quite a bit. It's unplayable in its current state. I should be allowed to get a refund based on this, but who knows with PSN's terrible policies.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I discussed that in the review. It was one of my main gripes FOR SURE

I guess this is what I get for skimming through the review. I totally missed it. Needless to say I am enjoying my time with the game even if it's mired by a few bugs, no more so than most open world games, and an unwieldy camera. All things SP can improve on in a sequel.

Murdoc

Sep 22, 2018
I'm having a similar issue where Jin just slow walks instead of jogging when I'm tilting the left stick forward. Sometimes wiggling the stick helps, sometimes it doesn't. Rebooting the game always fixes this. Same thing's happening with all my controllers. There's definitely something wrong with the game and I hope they'll fix it soon.

Kane1345

Senior QA, Starbreeze Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I thought my controller was broken but I noticed the other day that it was only this game. I'm playing Tlou 2, as well as some other games, and GoT is the only game I'm getting this left stick drifting in.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I start the game up, Jin will start to walk right. It's really annoying. It seems to dissapear after playing for a bit though. Hope they patch it.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Been having this issue too. If I stare straight at my left joystick on my DS4 it is slightly off center but its definitely not something that happens in other games. It just feels like Ghost has almost no deadzone. Its not the biggest issue, it doesn't really impact gameplay but its definitely annoying.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I have this exact same problem with the controller that came with my ps4 pro

My older controller, that I got with my ps4 amateur, stops working and does not register the inputs for a few seconds.

At least I feel better about the new controller

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017
Had this on infamous second son recently, maybe sucker punch doesn't like deadzones. My controller is fine on everything else.