• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Full article: https://www.vg247.com/2017/11/02/wi...-get-a-glimpse-of-the-ps4s-glorious-swansong/
Some quotes:
(...)PlayStation has ended the year on an absolute high – and a possible indication of the last hurrah of the PlayStation 4.

Neither game have solid release dates attached, but it's not a giant leap to expect The Last of Us Part 2 at the end of 2018 and Ghost of Tsushima in 2019, clearing the lane for a PS5 release later that year. (Ghost will most likely be a first quarter launch, following Sony's pattern of release for Horizon Zero Dawn in March this year and Detroit: Become Human in early 2018).

There's an expectation among media, developers speaking in hushed tones and a glint in the eyes of execs that 2019 will see the roll-out of the PS4 successor, with Microsoft likely to follow with its new console a year later.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucker Punch shipped Infamous in spring 2014, just months after GG shipped Killzone.

Id be shocked if its that far away. Guessing a late 2018 release is most likely.

Edit: I do agree that TLOU 2 and Ghost are likely examples of Sonys final PS4 games.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
How is Last Of Us 2018 but Tsushima 2019?

It's probably the other way around. Sucker Punch didn't ship a game after Second Son

The stuff in the PSX trailer for TLOU2 was likely the only thing they had done, and may not even be in the game. The Tsushima stuff looked like all in-game

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure Sony still has a number of AAA titles left to announce.

With that said, I do think PS5 will launch at the end of 2019. Three years after the Pro and six years after the base PS4 seems about right to me.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Someone pulling a whole lot of speculation out of their ass here.

Edit: Also, I agree with some others here that Ghosts is much farther along than many seem to believe. They've had a solid 3 years on it so far.

Oct 25, 2017
How is Last Of Us 2018 but Tsushima 2019?

It's probably the other way around. Sucker Punch didn't ship a game after Second Son

The stuff in the PSX trailer for TLOU2 was likely the only thing they had done, and may not even be in the game. The Tsushima stuff looked like all in-game
I imagine an open world game like Tsushima is exponentially harder to develop. Granted, I don't expect either game till 2019.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Ghost of Tsushima will be 2018.
TLoU2 and Death Stranding will be 2019.

I highly doubt it. Sony is refusing to even say when will Days Gone be out, after we saw it on several conferences. I think GoT/TLOU2/DS are all for 2019.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, just no.
Holiday 2020, not a month earlier. The reason being: There is simply no need to rush things.

Wait a couple years to find that $399 price point with a decent GPU and until then enjoy your position as a market leader.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Why would you drop a PS5 as early as 2019 when the PS4 is selling like crazy and has a price point that fits mass audience perfectly? With Sony it's no longer about exclusive titles, there is more than enough third party engagement happening for them to just lean back and relax, more or less. I still stay with my bet and say 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way in hell LOU2 is gonna be a 2018 game. Ghost coming out in 2018 seems doable since Second Son was back in 2014 but it could be early 2019?

2018 seems fairly stacked for Sony either way what with GOW4, Spider-man and Days Gone.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Sucker Punch shipped Infamous in spring 2014, just months after GG shipped Killzone.

Id be shocked if its that far away. Guessing a late 2018 release is most likely.

Big distinction though is that GG has two teams whereas SP only has one. Horizon's development began in 2011 and was led by Mathijs de Jonge and the KZ3 team. Steven ter Heide's team worked on Shadowfall.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Tsushima releases before TLOU II mainly because it seems to have been in production longer. Plus I don't see Days Gone and TLOU releasing in the same year. TLOU in 2018...not feeling it.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima will all be 2019 titles.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
There's no way in hell LOU2 is gonna be a 2018 game. Ghost coming out in 2018 seems doable since Second Son was back in 2014 but it could be early 2019?

2018 seems fairly stacked for Sony either way what with GOW4, Spider-man and Days Gone.

Detroit will also likely release sometime 2018, Ni No Kuni II will arrive that year as well, even though it's also available on PC. You're right, 2018 truly looks stacked as it is.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
Again, PS5 announcement - Feb 2019, PS5 full reveal - E3 2019, PS5 launch - Mid Nov 2019
We may see Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, FFVII Remake, and maybe a delayed Kingdom Hearts III, the 'single-player' Star-Wars game from EA, The Last of Us Part II, and a few others like Shenmue III closing up the PS4 period as the flagship Sony console before the PS5 comes around and gets an 'upgraded' version of all of those games as well, (even if it has backwards compatibility).

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
I can see Death Stranding easily being a PS4/5 title like MGS V was. That being said, I think 2020 is the magic year for new consoles. Wouldn't be surprised to see PS5, the next Xbox, and the next Switch in late 2020.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The evidence points to a longer gen than last time especially with a half step console for those that want more power. 9 years is likely

I still don't know where this 2019 nonsense comes from...if you believe Michael Pachter than i have some land i want to sell you

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hope not. If we get to the end of this gen without a single big first party RPG from Sony, I'm going to be so bummed out.

It's a massive, gaping hole in their first party catalog this gen.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the next PlayStation will be released in 2020. I think Sucker Punch can hit either late 2018 or early 2019 for Ghost of Tsushima. And the Last of Us, Part II & Death Stranding have to at least be 2019. They'll be the last major games to come out for the console, which then all effort from SIE will go into the new PlayStation. Horizon 2 will definitely come out within the first year its release.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hope not. If we get to the end of this gen without a single big first party RPG from Sony, I'm going to be so bummed out.

It's a massive, gaping hole in their first party catalog this gen.

To be fair to Sony they basically have most Japanese RPG's as exclusives from third parties anyway so I'm not suprised it's not high on their priority list.

Monty Mole

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see Microsoft wanting to launch a year later than PS5, regardless of the fact that X is only coming out now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Sony they basically have most Japanese RPG's as exclusives from third parties anyway so I'm not suprised it's not high on their priority list.

They've definitely been profiting quite hard on de facto JRPG exclusives, to be sure. But most JRPGs this gen haven't been all that great, and even the good ones (save Yakuza and Bloodborne, if you count them) feel pretty cheaply made.

There's absolutely an opening for a huge, massive, AAA RPG out of Sony and it's a shame we probably won't get one.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, some people really think Sony will stop making games for PS4 very soon? I can see Sony putting AAA games on PS4 until 2030, at least, and PS4 games will be backwards compatible with PS5. PS4/PS4Pro will handle all the games, even with a lower resolution/fps (30), for a long long time.

End of PS4? What? lol

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
There's an expectation that Microsoft will give Sony a year headstart?
I know the XboneX is just releasing but after this gen, giving Sony a year headstart is not a very good idea.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
I think MS lost it if they are planning to release Xbox 2 1 calendar year after PS5.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Sony will probably announce the ps5 somewhere late 2019 early 2020 but I don't think they will release it that early because of ps4 sales momentum being too stronk

And yes, Death Stranding is probably going to be a ps5 launch window title

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think (hope) TLoU 2 is late 2018. I'm honestly worried that we haven't gotten a release date for Days Gone so far. I was half expecting it to be Q4 2017 originally.