• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see where folks are getting the Assassin's Creed vibes from this, but for me, I'm getting more Shadow of Mordor with Tenchu reskin vibes... but that's just me.... And that's a good thing, imo.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I see where folks are getting the Assassin's Creed vibes from this, but for me, I'm getting more Shadow of Mordor with Tenchu reskin vibes... but that's just me.... And that's a good thing, imo.
Yep I feel the same.

Other then that it has alot of its on unique stuff.

Last edited:

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
So the stances seem geared to specific enemy types as shown for each stance icon.
txhpd2pomkz41.jpg

Obviously Rock stance holding both hands on the katana for sword wielding enemies and then Water stance is more effective for shielded foes etc

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017

Julien chieze was able to speak with Jason Connell, Creative Director on Ghost of Tsushima. I made a translation of the information we were able to learn :

Zelda and Shadow of Colosus was a big inspiration for this game especially for artistic direction, he wanted the colors to be vibrant as possible.

The wind is the main way to navigate the game world, there are no markers. He wanted the game to be immersive as possible.

We can reduce the shine effect on the items that we can pick up. He made a comparison with Red Ded Redemption which is for him a good and beautiful game but for Ghost of Tsushima they wanted the game to be pleasant as possible to play without having too many superfluous animations which break the rhythm and that is why Jin can pick up items on his horse.

The instrument that we see Jin playing in the video will be the only one present in the game and Jason did not want to say what it would be used for.

We can hunt animals in the game but there is nothing to gain by doing it. Animals are mainly there to be more immersed in the universe and guiding you.

The Standoff mode can be activated anytime even in infiltration.

The little tennis balls are called the Jin Resolved Metter when we hit an enemy the bar will load and it will also be used for healing and there are also many other things related to this gauge but he did not want too get into the details.

There will be much more stances than the two that we saw in the video, it will be used to apprehend the different types of enemies.

The main weapon of the game will be and will remain the katana throughout the game but there will be many other weapons and gadgets. Weapons like the katana or the bow will be displayed on all the outfits of the game but not the smallest ones because there are a lot of outfits in the game and it would represent too much work.

If you wear heavy armor you will be less agile so it will make infiltration harder.

There are several ways to retrieve the outfits, either through the main story, by doing quests, by buying them in the villages or simply by exploring the world.

There are a lot of side stories in the game where you can build more or less strong relationships with different characters to learn more about their stories but it's up to the player's freedom and you can miss them.

The music is composed by Shigeru Umebayashi but the game having grown a lot, he realized that he could not do everything alone so they hired a second composer to work with Umebayashi and his name is Ilan Eshkeri.

Last edited:

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I guess the L1+R1 above the yellow orb is for healing. and I'm curious how many stances are there. does 4 count as 'much more'? I hope there are a lot of stances and you just pick 4 to equip that kinda of thing. same with weapon, I know he said katana is the main weapon, but I'd love to have secondary weapon like spear or whatever, especially for the Ghost. give me the usual ninja weapon trope, chain and sickle that kind of thing

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the stances seem geared to specific enemy types as shown for each stance icon.
txhpd2pomkz41.jpg

Obviously Rock stance holding both hands on the katana for sword wielding enemies and then Water stance is more effective for shielded foes etc
This made up or anybody with knowledge of Japanese fighting can figure what the ? is?

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017

Julien chieze was able to speak with Jason Connell, Creative Director on Ghost of Tsushima. I made a translation of the information we were able to learn :

Zelda and Shadow of Colosus was a big inspiration for this game especially for artistic direction, he wanted the colors to be vibrant as possible.

The wind is the main way to navigate the game world, there are no markers. He wanted the game to be immersive as possible.

We can reduce the shine effect on the items that we can pick up. He made a comparison with Red Ded Redemption which is for him a good and beautiful game but for Ghost of Tsushima they wanted the game to be pleasant as possible to play without having too many superfluous animations which break the rhythm and that is why Jin can pick up items on his horse.

The instrument that we see Jin playing in the video will be the only one present in the game and Jason did not want to say what it would be used for.

We can hunt animals in the game but there is nothing to gain by doing it. Animals are mainly there to be more immersed in the universe and guiding you.

The Standoff mode can be activated anytime even in infiltration.

The little tennis balls are called the Jin Resolved Metter when we hit an enemy the bar will load and it will also be used for healing and there are also many other things related to this gauge but he did not want too get into the details.

There will be much more stances than the two that we saw in the video, it will be used to apprehend the different types of enemies.

The main weapon of the game will be and will remain the katana throughout the game but there will be many other weapons and gadgets. Weapons like the katana or the bow will be displayed on all the outfits of the game but not the smallest ones because there are a lot of outfits in the game and it would represent too much work.

If you wear heavy armor you will be less agile so it will make infiltration harder.

There are several ways to retrieve the outfits, either through the main story, by doing quests, by buying them in the villages or simply by exploring the world.

There are a lot of side stories in the game where you can build more or less strong relationships with different characters to learn more about their stories but it's up to the player's freedom and you can miss them.

The music is composed by Shigeru Umebayashi but the game having grown a lot, he realized that he could not do everything alone so they hired a second composer to work with Umebayashi and his name is Ilan Eshkeri.

Wow this sounds great

Last edited:

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
The more and more I read about this, the more and more it sounds like assassins creed: samurai. That's not a bad thing but it's not what I expected.

Mar 22, 2020
Am I the only one worried they are going to make this similar to inFamous? Like, "liberate three (nearly identical) camps to progress/unlock missions." I have tried to play inFamous 2 and Second Son but I can't get far before I stop playing. You repeat the same boring "activities" over and over, it gets tedious even if I try to only do what is required to progress the story.

The premise of GoT is fantastic, but too many things are identical between the two for me not to worry.
From an interview with creative director Nate Fox, clearing enemy camps will play a minor (maybe optional?) role in the game. What's more, the combat is apparently quite challenging.

nordic.ign.com

Ghost of Tsushima Creative Director says combat is very challenging - Interview

Jin has to become the Ghost as one of the last samurai.
We are trying to make a grounded game in that sense, so a couple blows from the enemy will kill you. The game is very challenging. We have three words to describe the combat: Mud, blood and steel. We absolutely honor the lethality of the sword. We watched samurai movies and people go down with one or two strikes, and that is embedded inside of the combat. Beating the Mongols in battle will be hard, but it's that challenge that makes it feel alive and the victory rewarding. You can't just run into a camp and fight 5 people at the same time, you will get overwhelmed and die.
What you saw in the presentation was some side action in the game. It was not part of one's particular story. The map has Mongolians everywhere, and the main part will be Jin's transformation from being a samurai to overtime becoming the Ghost. Next to that story you will meet people that try to survive in the world, with stories that will branch of off the main one. That is what the body of the game is made up off.

The more and more I read about this, the more and more it sounds like assassins creed: samurai. That's not a bad thing but it's not what I expected.
I'm hoping this is not the case. Some of the assassination mechanics and the enemy camps definitely give me AC vibes, but I hope they only amount to superficial similarities.

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Just looked back to when somebody applied the black and white filter to the E3 trailer, and the contrast they added looks totally different from the official BW mode.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

Honestly, I'm okay with this. One of my biggest gripes with InFamous was the same problem I have with a lot of games with morality systems (Fable, Bioshock, Mass Effect) is that there's only a differentiation between awesome angel and humongous asshole, and playing games the former way is almost always the better solution. Only Mass Effect added in some gray morals, but even then it punished you for playing "down the middle".

I think having the game be more honor-based (since honor and shame are a huge part of Japanese culture I'm an expert lol) is a much better move. The goal is simple, kill the Mongols, but do it the way you want to do it. Your goals are still the same and your intentions are still good, it's more just a difference in gameplay style and maybe how characters react to you.

Mar 22, 2020
Just looked back to when somebody applied the black and white filter to the E3 trailer, and the contrast they added looks totally different from the official BW mode.

This doesn't surprise me. A fan-made image filter (only has access to raw pixel RGB values) as opposed to an official post-processing effect (has access to depth buffer information, vertex normals and RGB, possibly AO if it's included earlier in post-processing pipeline) would be markedly different.

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I looked up the name of the location, Kashine, which you can check in the map screen of the latest state of play and I found the location actually exists. I pointed the area on the actual Tsushima island map. What do you think of the in-game map compared to the actual map?
CzF06GV.jpg

ZKuYOTe.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
But it looks the shpae of the island is not the same and there isn't a lake next to the area in real Tsushima. I guess the game got its own geography.
The devs did indeed say the shame of the island in the game shape is mostly the same. I sorry I cant find the quote after so many interviews.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder when SP is going to answer our questions on the Playstation blog?

The one thing I really want to know is if you can chop people's heads off with the special move like you can with their arms and hands?

You would think you can. But ever since Ryse there's always that doubt. I love when games are gory as heck.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
txhpd2pomkz41.jpg

He wasn't fighting a shielded enemy when he switched to water. I think that stance is more for deflection due to how he was holding the sword with his left hand on the tip of the blade. Also where did you get the default stance to be called "Rock"? It seems like the standard stance to me.

This made up or anybody with knowledge of Japanese fighting can figure what the ? is?

We have many stances but I don't think we have one called Water. They aren't based on elements, the names are more like "high", "defensive" or "hiding the length of one's sword".

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
He wasn't fighting a shielded enemy when he switched to water. I think that stance is more for deflection due to how he was holding the sword with his left hand on the tip of the blade. Also where did you get the default stance to be called "Rock"? It seems like the standard stance to me.

We have many stances but I don't think we have one called Water. They aren't based on elements, the names are more like "high", "defensive" or "hiding the length of one's sword".

The SOP demo shows Jin switching from Rock to Water stance. The interviews this week though seemingly confirmed what I was speculating and that each stance is meant to deal with specific enemy types.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The SOP demo shows Jin switching from Rock to Water stance. The interviews this week though seemingly confirmed what I was speculating and that each stance is meant to deal with specific enemy types.

Ah thanks seems to have missed the wordings. Still think that the emblems represent utility rather than the enemy types though, so the shield icon equates to deflection rather than it's for shielded enemies. I just don't see how that stance works against shields, though in practice one would use a different weapon entirely for that purpose.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
You can invest in archery if you want
It's absolutely a playstyle choice. I personally like to shoot villains at a distance with archery, and I invest a lot of my technique points into growing my archery abilities because that's just how I like to fight. But as far as how the story reacts to the choices you make, I'd rather not tell you because I don't want to ruin the surprise.
press-start.com.au

Ghost Of Tsushima's Director On Side Missions, Difficulty Levels, Crafting, Length, Waypoints And More

Ghost Of Tsushima's Director On Side Missions, Difficulty Levels, Crafting, Length, Waypoints And More

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Ghost of Tsushima |OT| Serve the wind彡ξξ

I noticed the etymology of "samurai" is "subrau / さぶらう". It means "to serve" and sounds alike "serve".

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably in the minority, but I think I'm going to play the game in English. For some reason, maybe because I have watched too much anime, but the Japanese voice acting sounds too "anime." Maybe it's because the main character's JP VO is the one who plays Zoro, and that is all I hear when he speaks and it's breaking my immersion more than English voice acting is.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Hmmm wonder if they're something is happening this week since the twitter hashtag and whatnot are getting emojis.

Reviewers and youtubers seem to have their review copies so I wonder if like TLOU2 they'll be posting some early impressions as a final preview of sorts before the review embargo?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm probably in the minority, but I think I'm going to play the game in English. For some reason, maybe because I have watched too much anime, but the Japanese voice acting sounds too "anime." Maybe it's because the main character's JP VO is the one who plays Zoro, and that is all I hear when he speaks and it's breaking my immersion more than English voice acting is.
I would play in Japanese but the lip sync is pretty bad for that. English looks much better

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I would play in Japanese but the lip sync is pretty bad for that. English looks much better

Same for me. When they did that state of play for the game and mentioned the Japanese track I was all for it but the syncing in the scene they showed looked brutal. I'll probably give it a shot and switch if it is a problem.