• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
I was most hyped about this game before E3 and it didnt disappoint. "Navigation" in all the Sucker Punch games is always top notch. Hoping that the side missions/quest lines are good.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On it's own, I'd be a bit disappointed with the grounded combat.

But with Shadows die twice and Nioh 2 coming, it will be a nice palate cleanser

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is an info thread here's some leaked info that came out a few days ago:

• Samurai were the most respectable people in Japan, people bow to Jin as he passes by on foot or horseback, but samurai were also feared; some women and children will attempt to hide or flee at the sight of Jin, while others will attempt to attack in order to prove themselves, or take some of the valuable gear a samurai would typically carry. This all helps to make the world feel alive and immersive. Not sure how often these civilian interactions occur.
  • Japanese voice over is a must for this game in order to truly feel like a samurai epic, but the English is superb (as many of you could probably tell from the reveal trailer.
  • Each outpost has a story behind it and a quest line, not just "take out these soldiers and you retake the village". Villages can be retaken by Mongols if you do not complete the quest line.
  • The game has two central towns (think Witcher 3), and many smaller outposts / villages.
  • There are NPCS who can help train you in the ways of the Ghost, as for a Samurai, it would be a completely different form, and dishonorable way, of combat. Don't expect Jin to be able to right out of the gate know how to throw shuriken, use kunai, use alchemy ( poisons, create potions, and explosives), use grappling hooks to get on top of rooftops, quickly, etc.
  • 2 major skill trees with many branches; which are way of the samurai, and way of the ghost. Samurai focusing more on sword play, archery, and defense, while ghost focuses more on stealth, alchemy, and agility.
  • Samurai skill tree is fully unlocked from the start, while ghost requires you to complete tasks in order to unlock a specific branch, such as working with an alchemist in order to learn poison abilities, or to create potions with strong effects.
  • You will be free to switch between samurai and ghost kits. Jin in full samurai armor won't be able to climb buildings (you can still jump, don't worry) or swim/dive, and would be fit more for a defensive, all out attack build. This can be balanced out however by mixing kits. You switch by going into any outpost / town, there you will also be able to sleep in order to pass the time, so if you prefer to tackle a mission at night as a ghost, or at day as a samurai, it's up to you. So for a more grounded approach, samurai is recommended.
  • Think of climbing buildings as a faster paced assassins creed. Tenchu style grappling hook makes it even faster.
  • You don't necessarily want to be seen in your ghost kit, as people may take you for an assassin and will sometime be hostile toward you. The game recommends you to be the ghost at night, but samurai at day. Some quests will only be handed out in your samurai gear, or only in your ghost gear, such as assassination requests. Double agent type of system and story to back it up.
E3 demo focuses on showing travelling on horseback from point A to B, showcases samurai combat and ninja (ghost) combat. Starts off with picking off targets very akin MGS or Tenchu, but goes full on combat Nioh/For Honor with different attack stances, the enemies are smart so you cannot just spam an attack, as they will block, or worse, counter you. Combat is graphic, depending on your slice, can decapitate (samurai were known for decapitation their foes so it makes sense), severe limbs. Rated M for sure. No bullet sponge enemies, one or two good strikes on a normal foot soldier can take them out, but you are also very squishy in your ghost gear. Boss fight at the end, but I won't spoil the surprise.
I want all of this. Fucking ALL OF IT.
need-it.gif

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is my GOAT already. Use the japanese sound voice track gonna be amazing.

Bandit1

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, yes, yes. So glad to hear they took a more realistic approach, (not fantasy/supernatural) that was one of my biggest hopes for the game. Demo looked good, maybe some animations or transitions could be smoothed out, but really looking forward to this.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Since this is an info thread here's some leaked info that came out a few days ago:

• Samurai were the most respectable people in Japan, people bow to Jin as he passes by on foot or horseback, but samurai were also feared; some women and children will attempt to hide or flee at the sight of Jin, while others will attempt to attack in order to prove themselves, or take some of the valuable gear a samurai would typically carry. This all helps to make the world feel alive and immersive. Not sure how often these civilian interactions occur.
  • Japanese voice over is a must for this game in order to truly feel like a samurai epic, but the English is superb (as many of you could probably tell from the reveal trailer.
  • Each outpost has a story behind it and a quest line, not just "take out these soldiers and you retake the village". Villages can be retaken by Mongols if you do not complete the quest line.
  • The game has two central towns (think Witcher 3), and many smaller outposts / villages.
  • There are NPCS who can help train you in the ways of the Ghost, as for a Samurai, it would be a completely different form, and dishonorable way, of combat. Don't expect Jin to be able to right out of the gate know how to throw shuriken, use kunai, use alchemy ( poisons, create potions, and explosives), use grappling hooks to get on top of rooftops, quickly, etc.
  • 2 major skill trees with many branches; which are way of the samurai, and way of the ghost. Samurai focusing more on sword play, archery, and defense, while ghost focuses more on stealth, alchemy, and agility.
  • Samurai skill tree is fully unlocked from the start, while ghost requires you to complete tasks in order to unlock a specific branch, such as working with an alchemist in order to learn poison abilities, or to create potions with strong effects.
  • You will be free to switch between samurai and ghost kits. Jin in full samurai armor won't be able to climb buildings (you can still jump, don't worry) or swim/dive, and would be fit more for a defensive, all out attack build. This can be balanced out however by mixing kits. You switch by going into any outpost / town, there you will also be able to sleep in order to pass the time, so if you prefer to tackle a mission at night as a ghost, or at day as a samurai, it's up to you. So for a more grounded approach, samurai is recommended.
  • Think of climbing buildings as a faster paced assassins creed. Tenchu style grappling hook makes it even faster.
  • You don't necessarily want to be seen in your ghost kit, as people may take you for an assassin and will sometime be hostile toward you. The game recommends you to be the ghost at night, but samurai at day. Some quests will only be handed out in your samurai gear, or only in your ghost gear, such as assassination requests. Double agent type of system and story to back it up.
E3 demo focuses on showing travelling on horseback from point A to B, showcases samurai combat and ninja (ghost) combat. Starts off with picking off targets very akin MGS or Tenchu, but goes full on combat Nioh/For Honor with different attack stances, the enemies are smart so you cannot just spam an attack, as they will block, or worse, counter you. Combat is graphic, depending on your slice, can decapitate (samurai were known for decapitation their foes so it makes sense), severe limbs. Rated M for sure. No bullet sponge enemies, one or two good strikes on a normal foot soldier can take them out, but you are also very squishy in your ghost gear. Boss fight at the end, but I won't spoil the surprise.

The trailer sold me, this double sells it.

Hopefully they have satisfying combat system this time to go with their always smooth transversal - and so far it really looks this way.

Deleted member 12555

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To think that one of my dream games as a teenager would be made by a western developer.

Extremely happy about it being grounded, and I'm also happy that SP are doing this, as they're showcasing some really strong artistic direction. Hope they'll discuss their influences down the line.

Gameplay wise, having Jin be a samurai who had to learn ninja techniques to be able to keep up with his enemies is a pretty cool idea, historical consistency be damned.

Yeah, this is hype!

VCFL

Jan 24, 2018
Lots of people wrote the game off but myself I needed to see more. I'm still hype and this news has made me hype-er. Can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
- The game is grounded and realistic.

This is disappointing to me, as I was hoping for something with lowkey supernatural like Ninja Scroll, but I'll deal.

Everything else sounds fantastic, and there's confirmation of Time of Day too!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
No word on a possible release date? Q3/Q4 2019 likely?

It's a massive game that needs all the time and love to get it where it needs to be so I hope they have plenty of time to do that. I'm fine with a 2020 release.

It's also a big step up from InFamous. This could be huge for Sucker Punch.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
The combat looks stilted and unnatural.

I'm hopeful things get better.

They did well with their previous games but melee combat is very difficult to get right.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
For real, I have read people saying it's a copy of the older AC/Batman games, like what??? I didn't see them just sitting there waiting for a counter prompt to pop up, I saw stances being switched, blocks, parrying, and deadly combat that ended in just one-two hits.

Reminded me a lot more of Bushido Blade then the AC games.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super happy to hear it is completely grounded. Mostly worried about quest, story, and world design . I'll remain optimistic though

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see how they are going to tackle boss battles without being too fantastical.

Oct 25, 2017
- The game is grounded and realistic.

This is disappointing to me, as I was hoping for something with lowkey supernatural like Ninja Scroll, but I'll deal.

Everything else sounds fantastic, and there's confirmation of Time of Day too!
This is what Sekiro and Nioh 2 are for. Ghosts of Tsushima shouldn't try to be exactly like two other games, it should be different and carve out a niche for itself and because it's different it actually looks really cool.

Green Marine

Oct 25, 2017
El Paso
Didn't even realize it was a Sucker Punch game until I just got done watching the full trailer a few minutes ago. I'm now bad at keeping up with E3, on top of everything else. I've enjoyed most everything Sucker Punch has worked on up to this point, so I'm very interested. Could be a hell of a game if the combat mechanics hold up.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every little bit of info I've read so far makes me want this game even more. My only hope is that since Jin will follow the Ninja route as well they give him a Kusarigama as a weapon, Nioh has spoiled me.

Deleted member 35777

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I'm glad it's more grounded, we have a number of fantasy japan samurai variants right now that this will makes its own style more pronounce.