Wise

Oct 27, 2017
It looks pretty exciting, and unlike anything else in Sony's first party portfolio- and it looks like it will end up adding yet another advantage to Sony's console next year against the competition- right?

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter doesn't seem to think so- speaking exclusively to GamingBolt, Pachter said that the game's innate 'Japanese-ness' will hold it back from broad commercial appeal, at least in terms of selling systems.

We haven't seen gameplay yet but I think this game will do just fine hopefully.

Source - https://gamingbolt.com/ghost-of-tsushima-lacks-broad-commercial-appeal-michael-pachter

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
So we should go back to the days of every main character being a bald, white, ripped space marine for maximum profit.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, no.

I've already heard a lot of people in based on the setting alone.

Feudal Japan + open world is huge.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm hoping the game will manage to find some commercial success despite having an all-Asian cast.

We need more developers to take risks on AAA games like this anyway, and I applaud Sucker Punch for trying.

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
"Japanese ness" LMAO!

Besides, let's not pretend like InFAMOUS or Sly Cooper had people running out to buy Playstations. They're fine complimentary games. Ghost of Tsushima might actually be Sucker Punchs most successful IP yet.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
This is the most inane thing Pachter has said in ages. I have a lot of respect for him, but this is just ignorant.

It's funny because I just finished writing a whole article burying this wagon of bull droppings.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
He should be treated like VGChartz.
"Japanese ness" LMAO!

Besides, let's not pretend like InFAMOUS or Sly Cooper had people running out to buy Playstations. They're fine complimentary games. Ghost of Tsushima might actually be Sucker Punchs most successful IP yet.
I might need your address for a little friendly chat.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest flaw on his take is comparing to Japanese-made titles, that have way more niche tropes and, lower budget and extremely lower marketing effort

This has Japanese themes, but its a western game still, developed by a team that previously made a big hit and published by the company with the biggest active console install base out there. Thats very different

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need to see gameplay first. I judge games on, you know, gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
I won't lie, I'm super pumped on Ghost, but the Tsushima part is not great. I even forgot what it was called. I put into google Ghost of Tsudama, honestly thinking that was the name.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was the last ninja/feudal Japan game that sold really well?

It's probably too early to say how Ghosts will fare.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Nioh did pretty well and that is about as Japanese as you can get, not sure why this would be any different.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Lol, this guy.

The game can do very well commercially.

All about what it has to offer and the marketing.

Oct 26, 2017
We have seen literally nothing about this game other than the setting and there are so few games set in this setting that it's hard to determine if it's popular or not.

What's the point of saying these things.

If this game is a Ninja Gaiden Black clone but open world that gets a 75 on Metacritic, maybe it will sell very badly.

If this game is a Batman: Arkham City clone (which I'm guessing) with a 90+ on Metacritic (not sure), maybe it will sell very well.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Seems a little silly to equate a very anime-styled Japanese-developed game in a Japanese setting (Persona 5) to a western-developed game in a Japanese setting with a more realistic aesthetic in terms of who it will appeal to. Last I checked ninjas and samurai and all that are things that resonate with the mainstream pretty well by the standards of Japanese stuff.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to make that assessment due to the Japanese games that were selling in 2017, such as Nioh, Nier Automata, and Persona 5. Although we haven't seen gameplay, I would say it brings something to the Western market that hasn't been touched on in quite some time.

KZXcellent

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I assume he means that it looks more like Japanese games which put it out of favor in the mainstream compared to big Western-looking AAA games.

Still weird.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pachter also says that Persona 5 is Game of the Year.

No GOTY Awards for Persona confirmed.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell wouldn't want to play an open-world samurai game? By Sucker Punch no less.

It'll sell well.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I don't think anything that has that Japanese flavor has broad appeal," Pachter said. "They're great games and get high ratings, and the hardcore audiences love them. But, for the average audience, they're hard games. They're too hard for most people. I mean, I played Persona 5, one of the highest rated games ever, and I like it, but I can't believe it went on to sell as many copies as it did. It's just not the kind of game that seems like it has mass appeal, even though it's one of the best games ever made, and probably wins Game of the Year. But… going back to Tsushima, no, I don't think it has broad appeal either."
Kinda sounds like he's still hung-up on his own thought process, like maybe the tides are shifting and Pachter still hasn't adjusted with it.