• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
This is an interesting move after GoT received a $20 price cut (physical) not too long ago. PS4 players now have to spend an extra $20 for DLC they may or may not like! Obviously Directors Cut is replacing it, and you can still play the game immediately after preordering. What do you think ERA?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Not uncommon. Happens a lot, actually (GotY/Complete/Ultimate/Whatever Editions replacing standard editions).

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
This is an interesting move after GoT received a $20 price cut (physical) not too long ago. PS4 players now have to spend an extra $20 for DLC they may or may not like! Obviously Directors Cut is replacing it, and you can still play the game immediately after preordering. What do you think ERA?

Pretty sure this happened like a month ago, I wanted to buy it when I got my PS5 and couldn't find standalone so I bought it used 🤷‍♂️

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This usually happens when a Game of the Year/Complete Edition/Directors Cut what have you comes out. It replaces the original cheaper version, and you can no longer purchase it.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
It's the same price either way for people wanting all of the content, so this saves people time. Those that wanted the base game probably already own it by now or could buy a physical version on the cheap, but most people probably would want the Director's Cut if they're getting the game now.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
It's the same price either way for people wanting all of the content, so this saves people time. Those that wanted the base game probably already own it by now or could buy a physical version on the cheap, but most people probably would want the Director's Cut if they're getting the game now.
I don't think it is the same price. The original edition was often $20 and this new version is full price.
I remember when Nintendo did this with TF there was a lot of outage. I'm surprised this is the first I heard about this scenario. I just don't think it's right either way to remove the cheaper options

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there's no reason for the other version to exist digitally anymore. So whatever.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it is the same price. The original edition was often $20 and this new version is full price.
I remember when Nintendo did this with TF there was a lot of outage. I'm surprised this is the first I heard about this scenario. I just don't think it's right either way to remove the cheaper options
MSRP was $40 before it was pulled, so with the $20 DC, that's the $60 the package is now. Sale prices don't factor when talking about MSRPs.

TF?

May 14, 2021
It was 40.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
MSRP was $40 before it was pulled, so with the $20 DC, that's the $60 the package is now. Sale prices don't factor when talking about MSRPs.

TF?
Tropical Freeze. $40 is still a lot less for people who don't want the extra content and I feel like sale prices do matter because Sony has (so far) only dropped their PS5 games to $50 whereas this game would often reach much lower.
It was $10 on PS Direct a few weeks ago

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this sucks, it also effects people who had a physical copy on PS4 and get an all digital PS5 and want to continue playing.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
This happened a while ago, shortly after the Director's Cut was announced.

The price is no big deal since it never dropped anyway except for sales.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Same happened with Death Stranding. I'm fucking mad with this one because it went around 20 dollars twice this year.

IMG-20210814-230611.jpg

Sony is the worst when releasing games.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
It happened a while ago, like when they announced DC version. Yeah it reset the price but it'll come down again like always.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
In Death Stranding case there was indeed a price increase for US.

The base price dropped to 40$ a while ago but now you can only buy the Digital Deluxe Edition for 50$.

While in EU the base price never dropped from 70€ but with the DC announcement it became 50€ (digital deluxe as well) which is nice.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Sony continues to do sh*tty things to consumers and consumers continue to defend Sony.

Ibuki

Feb 6, 2021
Why does no one make a stink every other time this happens? Sekiro being a recent example.

Sekiro™: Shadows Die Twice - Game of the Year Edition

This Game of the Year Edition now includes bonus content - Reflection and Gauntlet of Strength - new boss challenge modes - Remnants - leave messages and recordings of your actions that other players can view and rate - 3 unlockable cosmetic skins Game of the Year - The Game Awards 2019 Best...

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why does no one make a stink every other time this happens? Sekiro being a recent example.

This Game of the Year Edition now includes bonus content - Reflection and Gauntlet of Strength - new boss challenge modes - Remnants - leave messages and recordings of your actions that other players can view and rate - 3 unlockable cosmetic skins Game of the Year - The Game Awards 2019 Best...

Because at retail and digital storefronts nothing changed except which edition you are getting? Every copy was going to update at the same version.

https://www.exophase.com/game/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-psn/prices/

If the page is correct the price never changed at the PSN and just 3 days after the GOTY edition went online the game got a discount, and it matched the previous lowest price back then.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

Sony's mistake was dropping the price to $40, they should correct it for future releases.

deadlygantz

Oct 15, 2019
It depends on how important the director's cut is for you. The only bad here is that people will have to wait for the price to go down again.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I need to stop buying Sony games in their launch window (first 3 months). Death Stranding, Ghosts, Horizon, etc all get price drops fairly quickly and just when I get the time to finish them they release a new version and I always wonder why I didn't just wait.

I'm not mad at this though, but I will for sure won't be buying Sony games day one any time soon.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I need to stop buying Sony games in their launch window (first 3 months). Death Stranding, Ghosts, Horizon, etc all get price drops fairly quickly and just when I get the time to finish them they release a new version and I always wonder why I didn't just wait.

I'm not mad at this though, but I will for sure won't be buying Sony games day one any time soon.
Also likely to stop buying the "deluxe" editions that will likely get replaced by the Director's Cut.

I bought all those games and the last one was Ghost but I could have waited too lol.

I dont mind since now I'll wait for the Director's Cut to be heavily on sale for me to consider. Like I won't pay $30 for PS5 Ghost DC upgrade. Maybe when the upgrade is $10, I'll bite. (Day 1 Death Stranding DC $10 upgrade :) )

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

this is me as well

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017

I think it is probably the better move. Annoying for price but at least you don't buy the lesser version and next week find out you have the inferior version. At least they did have an upgrade path...

Control actually still has BOTH original and Ultimate editions on stores with no upgrade path. That is what your thread should actually be about.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
If the DLC is entirely optional content, I'm against it. If the DLC includes balance, QoL, and graphics changes, I'm for it.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Removing cheaper options with digital releases is annoying. Some people just want the base game. I didn't really notice the practice until I went to buy Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It just made me wait longer to buy it.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017

I have a PS5DE and I wanted to buy the base game on a deep discount. Not $40. So that's false.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good to receive a good reminder on occasion of why it's not a great idea to go digital with consoles yet.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda did this with Skyrim Special Edition.

It's absolutely a practice I don't like though. If your game's dropping in price, don't tack on some DLC as an excuse to raise the price again.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Sucks for people with a PS5DE because you can't just get an old physical copy, but it was on sale for $20, which was a great price for the game.
If that price wasn't low enough you're obviously not in a hurry to play the game, though and at some point the Director's Cut will also get deep discounts.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I must have missed when it was $20 - I think I had forgotten to add it to my Wishlist. In any case, it sucks that the cheaper one is gone. Guess I'll have to wait until this new one gets discounted.