• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
You guys not tried to skip that animation like the second time it happened? I'm the one with the mind blown D:
Ha, I did - I tried every button, but never thought to hold it down, especially since the game doesn't even acknowledge the presses with a prompt or icon. I just assumed it was there to hide load times and begrudgingly dealt with it.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
TBH i never noticed probably cos i don't complete enough to ev reach the cap. but still no daily cap is good.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
So Im about 35 hours in level 28 I think and man it's like this game is actively trying to get me to not enjoy it and it feels like a step back from Wildlands in so many ways

One of the biggest thing I've noticed is how limiting the 6 selector thing is, first it takes up two slots with things I rarely use and second it limits you creativity in many combat situations
For example in GR:WL you could see a convoy truck coming quickly plant some C4, wait for it and boom explode, switch back to grenades for the combat encounter when things go sideways switch to mines as you enter a build to prevent the baddies from coming straight to you
But in this game because of the limits there are certain things I just never use for instance the breaching cutter is semi useful but no where near as all purpose as a grenade, slightly more useful is C4 but again but as multi purpose as grenades so I never bother to use it.
In a similar vein why would you not make the Mk2 consumables replace the mk 1, do you really think I'm gonna have two grenades equipped?
And what was the alleged benefit of this? is it PVP where you can't use hardly any of the devices or any of the nutritional supplements? maddening
Also there are way too many supplements and I never use them but maybe I would if I didn't have to go through all of these gotdang menus that move at a sluggish rate, this is related to the above but one thing I absolutely hate is having to pause a game mid action to do menu micro management and this is what the game makes me do because of the above.

Next complaint, the loot system.... maybe it's not a bad thing to like a gun and stick with it? while I suppose it has it's intended effect of making me switch my weapons more commonly the game doesn't seem designed to support it very well as evidenced by the lack of mark as junk and sell/dismantle all junk which when combined make the game GRIND to a halt because of the above mentioned slow as hell menu. If they want to push you to explore more maybe make it so that as you collect more guns in a class it levels them up, something, anything!

This game could have really been Ghost Recon: Snake Eater and it shows but they mess up so many things, not to rag on the AI more but I had one mission where I had to force someone to do a biometric scan, things go sideway so I'm stuck in a building facing overwhelming odds but it ends as all good stands off do by me going to a stair case and taking them out one by one [sarcasm] I didn't even do it on purpose either.

Speaking of Snake Eater the "bosses" are a big disappointment as well, spoilers for those that care about story for some reason. I mean even wolves vs fox, the animal inspired bosses, nano machines
So the first boss I killed Rosebud, they mention her and Nomad says "yeah I've heard of her" but I'm reasonably sure they never mentioned her regardless I get the mission to kill her, I find a couple clues and execute her and I get a cool gun, but besides her being a sniper and from a military background I never got any cutscenes or even profiles of her (maybe I did and missed it) so despite having a cool name and outfit never got attached to her
Then I meet silverback in the above mentioned mission who shows up out of nowhere shoots the guy I was scanning and then runs away or something? he didn't even kill the guy WTH? then I'm supposed to kill him or something but again nothing to build up he spectacle (I haven't found him yet so maybe he'll have a long monologue which ends with him saying "see we're not so much dissimilar.... brother! [sister in my case]
In wIldlands for contrast they had the casefiles where you would at least learn a little bit about about benny the butcher for Chemical Jose or whoever your target was, here they're just... blah

Then the story line spoilers again for those that care, but I didn't go in expecting much but I hoped they would head in a kojima esque direction but instead we have poop on the floor, it just sits there and stinks
I'm guessing the flashbacks are to show me how terrible a person nomad is, or maybe the slow breakdown of ones humanity by being in the military, which I didn't need but okay. So far I've seen nomad watch Cole torture someone by breaking their shins to which she responded "not cool" which is the appropriate response when a frat boy tries to ball tap you but not when a military officer is torturing someone and had a similar milquetoast response for an extra judicial killing of that annoying senators son guy. The npcs really just talk psychobabble and even when I bother to try and pay attention it doesn't quite add up.
While I'm glad that they moved on from the tired and let's say xenophobic story of wildlands (funny in it's own light for essentially presenting the story of clear and present danger but casting antagonist (the president) as the protagonist (in this case the blonde handler) that story was at least easy to follow > kill brown people, this is just going nowhere, I'm pretty sure a black lady entered the picture seemingly walking through a portal like Thanos because I don't remember them talking anything about Transhumanism and then she literally appears and talks about why it's a good idea .

And my last critique (for today) is the check point system, so I'm doing a mission that was featured on the E3 gameplay where you save a lady after sabotaging her base so essentially a 4 part mission; locate her, speak with her, sabotage the base and extract her, I failed a few times at step 2 and get to restart from their finally beat it and a boss appears along with the wolves to kill me now I have to drag her ass out of there while fighting the wolves I die which is reasonable but now I have to start the whole mission again.... WTF annoying to say the least.

I will say that playing solo is pretty cool and makes brute forcing less of an option

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
I'm waiting for the new class to drop soon.

i also have about 44 skill points that are still unused hehe

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get what circumstances result in a "shot heard" when you use a silencer. Very frustrating.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
I don't get what circumstances result in a "shot heard" when you use a silencer. Very frustrating.
Contrary to the name of the device, a silencer is almost never 100% quiet, particularly on larger guns, thus enemies will hear you if you're within 20 m of them depending on the gun. Pistols are the best for actually silent shots. I also think that shots can penetrate through your victim and hit things behind the target which would also result in a shot heard.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
Contrary to the name of the device, a silencer is almost never 100% quiet, particularly on larger guns, thus enemies will hear you if you're within 20 m of them depending on the gun. Pistols are the best for actually silent shots. I also think that shots can penetrate through your victim and hit things behind the target which would also result in a shot heard.
well technically they're suppressors.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

yeah but...this is a video game. And it isn't OG Rainbow Six realistic. But I guess I have to be more careful.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
Anyone notice the typo?

Tom_Clancys_Ghost_Recon_Breakpoint2019-10-23-23-56-20.jpg

Oct 27, 2017

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I jumped back in yesterday after taking a week+ off for vacation. I guess there was a patch during that time but I didn't notice anything significantly different.

The game is fun to play, which is ultimately important. I enjoy the small firefights, and enjoy the sneaking around taking down the larger outposts/bases. The inventory/gear stuff is.. mostly fine. At worst it's unnecessary and slows things down a touch, but does give some incentive to kill bad guys whereas you might just skip them otherwise. Controls are serviceable, if sometimes clunky (indoors especially).

My biggest issues now are the emptiness of the world, and the super thin story/narrative.

#1. Emptyness. Everything feels dead. I haven't been everywhere yet, but I've been to most of the little provinces, and they're all the same. Big patches of space populated only with: 2-3 bad guys fixing a bike, 3-4 bad guys walking in a line, 2-3 Civilians talking about the checkpoint traffic or the bees, maybe a couple of drones. Sprinkle in a few checkpoints, bases, bivouacs, and places to inspect.. and that's it.

For as often as the civvys talk about their long waits at the checkpoints.. NO ONE IS EVER ON THE ROAD! At best you see an enemy jeep or two, MAYBE a weapons convoy, but that's it. Wildlands had the Cartel driving around, UNIDAD driving around, the Rebels Driving around, and then tons of civvys driving around going "somewhere". It resulted in fun & unpredictable situations, where all 3 would end up fighting each other and you could help or peace out, but it felt "alive" in a sense. The populated roads made the world feel more real, even if the people on the roads weren't really going anywhere.

Now, it's just a big ghost town. There are civvys at little camps/etc around the world, but you never see them going from A to B. They're just where they are, forever. By making it less realistic, I also care a lot less about the Skelltech employees.

Tied in with this.. Ubisoft made a hugely detailed world, but all to apparently no use. I've visted at least a dozen really detailed, well designed buildings/outposts/etc.. and there is just.. NOTHING THERE. Nothing to interact with, no one to talk to, just.. really cool stuff to look at, and that's it. Sometimes not even any bad guys. It's like they designed all this, and forgot to fill it with people or meaning.

The civilians you do interact with are also a really frustrating bunch. The rare quest givers treat you like a typical RPG messiah come to save the day, but literally every other person you come across is scared to death of you. Aren't you supposed to be saving these people? In Wildlands the civvys mostly ignored you, but would get out of your way, but that was easily explained by them being so used to war that it's just nothing new. I would think the civvys here would be begging and pleading with you to get them out form under the Wolves boot.. but most of the time they just act scared and again do nothing.

#2. This does tie into the above, but the story is so barebones and poorly laid out.. it's a real shame.

Wildlands, by comparison, was very straightforward. You got dropped in to Bolivia to take on the Cartel, which was trying to form a Narcostate. 1 team vs the bad guys, with a lot of other enemies and questionable allies involved. You got a short briefing before each mission, and usually afterwards.. explaining what you were doing and why. Almost all the missions were in service of the main goal of disrupting and destroying the cartel.

Breakpoint.. you're ALL ALONE! (except all the other ghosts you meet, and/or online people) trying to unravel a mystery of what happened on the island, except most of the relevant info is figured out in the first couple of hours. Most of the missions have a quest giver, which may or may not give you a short explanation of what you need to do. Most of the info comes in text boxes in the organizer. The 'main' story line is pretty short, most of the stuff you end up doing is side quests/faction quests/etc. Some of these side thing seem so.. weirdly disconnected from everything else it really pulls me out of the game. I'll give you one example from yesterday:

While traveling the wilds on foot, I came across a random quest-giving civvy. Nice! She talked about how while working at the lab, the robots took on a mind of their own and started shooting at the researchers! Oh no! Would I (the noble hero) be so kind as to go clear out the evil robots from their lab so they can go back to work? Of course I will! Like.. just a standard RPG quest basically. I'm supposed to be here taking down rogue ghosts/wolves and stopping a massive conspiracy, but sure, let me solve your little robot problem. I track down the location using the clues, find the lab, and GASP! There are drones! I quickly dispatch them all, and notice the dozens of dead bodies strewn about, yikes. Morbid. I collect all my loot and get to the center to end the quest.. and there is a lab tech inside. He thanks (the noble hero) me for saving him, and said he was messing around with the drone programming and something must have went wrong (no shit). My character, literally says to him, you better be careful in the future, a lot of people might've gotten hurt. Like.. what? There were dozens of dead people outside? I got my quest reward, left him to do his thing, and went on my way.. but.. just why?

Stuff like that is everywhere in Breakpoint, and it's frustrating because it almost feels like filler content. Why couldn't they have better integrated everything into the overall story? I don't play Ghost Recon to feel like an RPG hero wandering the land doing small-scale quests. Almost nothing feels like it has any impact or weight to the overall narrative. Everything just exists to provide more stuff to collect and shoot to keep the Games-as-a-Service moving along.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
I guess you can't derail the freight trains in this game hehe

EDIT: sometimes my drone key isn't working. i press x and it doesn't deploy the drone.

So for some reason playing ghost war will glitch out the ability to deploy drones...great!

Last edited:

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
Good; at least we know they are listening, acknowledging the issues and taking actions; better yet, they are facing the community with their plans.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Good; at least we know they are listening, acknowledging the issues and taking actions; better yet, they are facing the community with their plans.
Sadly there are still a lot of people saying its too little too late, that this should have been written and released a week after launch. Quite disappointing to see that no matter what, some people will never be happy.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Zero mention of plans to improve Ghost War in that update. That's incredibly disappointing. They took an incredible mode in Wildlands and absolutely fucked it up.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
Sadly there are still a lot of people saying its too little too late, that this should have been written and released a week after launch. Quite disappointing to see that no matter what, some people will never be happy.

people are self-entitled. the game ain't perfect but it works.

anyway, I've reached 250 but I am trying to bust through to 251 and the only gear i am getting is 250.

Last edited:

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Decent update from them without any real specifics.

I go back and forth on if I want to shelve the game for a while until some more patches come out. I feel like there is ALMOST a really great game here.. but too many stupid design decisions got in the way.

It's also SUPER lonely without the squad banter or even having a mission person in your ear (Bowman). You literally hardly talk to anyone outside of returning back to Erewhon.. and it's really kind of.. I dunno, boring?

I'm still enjoying the small Ghost Recon moments.. but.. I dunno. I feel very conflicted.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Decent update from them without any real specifics.

I go back and forth on if I want to shelve the game for a while until some more patches come out. I feel like there is ALMOST a really great game here.. but too many stupid design decisions got in the way.

It's also SUPER lonely without the squad banter or even having a mission person in your ear (Bowman). You literally hardly talk to anyone outside of returning back to Erewhon.. and it's really kind of.. I dunno, boring?

I'm still enjoying the small Ghost Recon moments.. but.. I dunno. I feel very conflicted.
I feel the same.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
CRAP! one of my classes, the sharpshooter class, is not able to deploy the drone but using other classes can deploy...WTF?

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Messed around with my character's appearance and noticed that switching between vision modes actually takes longer if you have NVGs equiped because it waits for the animation.

So dumb.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
people are self-entitled. the game ain't perfect but it works.

anyway, I've reached 250 but I am trying to bust through to 251 and the only gear i am getting is 250.

No, people are just sick of half finished products.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Still doesn't justify being a total ass in the devs or getting bitchy over the fact that next month is focusing on updates that fixes some of the issues in the game

People often cross the line and that is something that I don't approve. But friend of mine for example wrote to one of the devs he kinda knew after the beta saying how he is disappointed and how game has issues. That dev just said "oh well you can't please everyone, have a nice day" and later unfollowed my friend when he wrote on Twitter how disappointed he is.

Since announcement people were concerned and giving them feedback and yet they still released unfinished and unfocused mess.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
People often cross the line and that is something that I don't approve. But friend of mine for example wrote to one of the devs he kinda knew after the beta saying how he is disappointed and how game has issues. That dev just said "oh well you can't please everyone, have a nice day" and later unfollowed my friend when he wrote on Twitter how disappointed he is.

Since announcement people were concerned and giving them feedback and yet they still released unfinished and unfocused mess.
The ceo admitted this to the shareholders and it's reflected in their stock price and their earnings report/forecast.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The ceo admitted this to the shareholders and it's reflected in their stock price and their earnings report/forecast.

I am just saying why people are frustrated. They were getting a lot of feedback before game released, especially after beta tests. And yet they still decided to release game and not to delay it. They were hoping that they could release now, polish later (like many publishers are doing with live service games these days).

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I am just saying why people are frustrated. They were getting a lot of feedback before game released, especially after beta tests. And yet they still decided to release game and not to delay it. They were hoping that they could release now, polish later (like many publishers are doing with live service games these days).
I hear you. I like the game a lot but there is not much to it other than go here and kill some baddies. I still don't know why the baddies are even on the island. Oh, and that Mads character is extremely annoying and useless. Why is this guy even in charge. Yup.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
I hear you. I like the game a lot but there is not much to it other than go here and kill some baddies. I still don't know why the baddies are even on the island. Oh, and that Mads character is extremely annoying and useless. Why is this guy even in charge. Yup.
I mean the game clearly states several times why Sentinel and the Wolves are on the island.
The Outlaws blew up a building that had people inside (the Outlaws thought it was empty) so Jace Skell (CEO) brought in Sentinel, on Walkers recommendation (who was military advisor) as a security team to prevent future events like that. Walker and Stone (CEO of Sentinel) then took control of the island and put it under martial law. Walker starts the Wolves around the same time with some former Ghosts and recruits the top soldiers at Sentinel (and some other places) to fill out his ranks.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I mean the game clearly states several times why Sentinel and the Wolves are on the island.
The Outlaws blew up a building that had people inside (the Outlaws thought it was empty) so Jace Skell (CEO) brought in Sentinel, on Walkers recommendation (who was military advisor) as a security team to prevent future events like that. Walker and Stone (CEO of Sentinel) then took control of the island and put it under martial law. Walker starts the Wolves around the same time with some former Ghosts and recruits the top soldiers at Sentinel (and some other places) to fill out his ranks.

Yes, of course. But reddit told me that having drones as enemies is bad and we should return to killing brown people and Russians in Ghost Recon /s

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The drones are frankly more fun to fight than the AI soldiers at this point. They're seriously braindead.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Thank you, but what a very bland explanation. I mean that is convoluted and just plain terrible.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so after 50 hours I'm level 150 and trying to take down walker and this mission is trash, I've played it like 20 times at least and have had it crash to dash board twice (never happened during the main game) and walker is a dead shot with his desert eagle from across the whole room, I may just go ahead and call in some back up