• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Ok, I guess that video had pretty similar stealth gameplay compared to wildlands, no drones in that base though so no idea how they affect stealth.

Just one final question, do you actually clear the enemy presence by taking these type of bases in the game like in FarCry, or do you go 1Km in any direction and when you come back everything has respawned and going about like nothing happened (like in Wildlands)?
Yeah, not fun whatsoever. Also not sure why they added a drone that is impossible to take down silently in a tactical stealth shooter.

Those Cherubims are trash.
While doing some story missions, I found a base that had some cherubim drones patrolling around and recorded another stealth clear of a base, this time with these drones along with multiple turrets and detecting lights. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, you just need to study the drones' flight paths and either shoot the drones down in remote locations far away from soldiers (preferably using a high powered sniper rifle or even multiple hits from other weapons as long as there are no soldiers nearby) or kill some soldiers along its path and move the corpses to set up a clear area to take out the drone.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
While doing some story missions, I found a base that had some cherubim drones patrolling around and recorded another stealth clear of a base, this time with these drones along with multiple turrets and detecting lights. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, you just need to study the drones' flight paths and either shoot the drones down in remote locations far away from soldiers (preferably using a high powered sniper rifle or even multiple hits from other weapons as long as there are no soldiers nearby) or kill some soldiers along its path and move the corpses to set up a clear area to take out the drone.

That gameplay looks fun to me.

Dark_Chris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Czech republic
I hated when they said AI teammates won't be in Breakpoint, but after more than 80 hours since last Tuesday I won't be ever playing with them once they're added in. This game works wonderfully solo.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
So me and a buddy got to GS 150 yesterday after playing mostly Faction missions and side quests, so we've barely done any story missions, and thought we'd do the Walker mission you get at the start and see what happens. Turns out:
it's just a 'kill Walker' mission that makes no sense if you do it out of order, as there's references to stuff that happens in the story missions that we haven't done yet. SO fucking dumb for them to put it in the game from the start, GS requirement or not. Not sure what they were thinking.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Perhaps I'm missing it, but some UI/menu questions:

- can I not sort my weapon list on types anymore? e.g. show all assault rifles, sniper rifles, etc. Currently I have to scroll through a huge list of weapons.
- does the gunsmith no longer tell where certain accessories can be found? I'm looking for some stock attachments and I have no idea where to go look for them

Also - what is the point of having so many unlockable skills when you can only equip 3 active skills at a time. 75% of the skill tree is useless at the moment.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps I'm missing it, but some UI/menu questions:

- can I not sort my weapon list on types anymore? e.g. show all assault rifles, sniper rifles, etc. Currently I have to scroll through a huge list of weapons.
- does the gunsmith no longer tell where certain accessories can be found? I'm looking for some stock attachments and I have no idea where to go look for them

Also - what is the point of having so many unlockable skills when you can only equip 3 active skills at a time. 75% of the skill tree is useless at the moment.
Attachment locations are in the mission board pin area IIRC, top of that menu. At least those you have intel on I think.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
well, this sucks balls - I levelled up to the cap of level 30 and I am 8 skill points out from unlocking the entire skill tree. Where am i going to get the 8 remaining skill points?

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can things I get from drone kills like optical lenses, carbon plating etc be sold or do I need it them later on?

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Did they fix the issue from the Beta where if you inverted the helicopter controls, it would do it for both y and x axes?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
IMO it's actually a lot easier to stealth in Breakpoint, now that I've spent a while getting used to the options.
There are a few items and abilities that make it very easy.

1. You don't have a drone cooldown in Breakpoint unless it gets destroyed, and that's pretty much impossible unless you fly it into plane rotors.
2. Unlike with Wildlands, enemies don't seem to notice the drone *at all*.
3. You can get the IR/NVG upgrades for the drone to spot enemies easily.
4. Class items make stealth a cinch. Sharpshooter's class item will mark an entire base with a single use. Predator's class item makes you invisible to drones.
5. AI is still completely oblivious to sniper fire. You will never get detected if you stay outside 200ish meters of a base, even if they notice dead bodies.
6. There's a perk (forgot the name) that automatically marks enemies with 20m. If you prefer to play close, this one ensures you're never surprised.

I will keep at it because I am still early and fumbling around with everything myself,so probably a lot of what I said is because of that...all the bigger or medium size places I went so far always have 2 guys next to each other but maybe I should do smaller stuff just to get use to how everything works first.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Once or twice a year me and two of my best mates pile in to one of our houses and scorch through a MP together, old fashioned LAN style. We adored Wildlands, especially after many of the post-launch updates and were all pretty psyched for this.

The initial bad word-of-mouth was very reminiscent of Wildlands, which garnered a lot of negativity after its beta to the point where I nearly gave it a miss. I eventually pulled the trigger and I absolutely loved it, warts and all.

The timing last weekend worked out just too well with the Breakpoint release, so we all bought and installed before kicking off on Friday night. We played for something like 16 hours over the weekend as a squad of three and it's been an interesting experience.

We nearly bounced off the game in the first few hours - The sheer number of systems, menus and things to learn was overwhelming to begin with, to the point of hurting our initial impression. Wildlands is a very simple game, one that can be easily understood and progression is relatively clear. So the seemingly obtuse nature of loot, classes, investigations, faction missions, objectives etc nearly threw us off. I'm glad it didn't

Pins are great, campaign progression is not - I love the pinning system, especially in tandem with exploration mode. Being able to have my class rank challenges, weapon blueprint location and campaign mission objectives a button push away is excellent, as is the ability to toggle the interface on/off in real time. That said, organsiign a group for a single mission, watching cutscenes, entering Bivouacs is... messy. In our 16 hours we did very little of the campaign, but when we did, the seemingly random and unsolicited jumps in to Bivouac menus and cutscenes was occasionally jarring. (Note I'm aware of the opt-in opt-out notification that crops up, but even then it was inconsistent).

Freaking love the classes - Adding classes with unique abilities initially put me off but actually it enriches the experience immensely, and having class ranks tied to challenges is a very addictive mini-progression loop. Playing as a group and coordinating classes and abilities was great (i.e. having a panther class go invisible to drones, plant C4 on a behemoth, EMP it and expose it weak points, so that the Sharpshooter can lay some serious damage down with its ability while an Assault class fires rockets at it and tries to take aggro with True Grit was immense). If anything I'd liked to have seen more rewards / progression tied to class ranks, for instance slowly improving stats as you progress.

I could live without the loot system - Seeing your first purple drop does seem to have a direct link to your brain's dopamine centre. Seeing those numbers go up can feel good, but the gear score system for the most part seems like an entirely unnecessary addition. It' just nearly entirely inconsequential. You get armour drops that may have some slight stat bonuses, but wiht the glamour system it's very much a process of just strpping on whatever has the highest gear score. One of my favourite parts of Wildlands was having mini expeditions to go and acquire the better weapons from hostile areas. It was often great fun. That still exists by way of blueprints, but the constant ream of loot seems like nothing but a means to push the Gear Level up, it doesn't have a tangible effect on the gameplay in any meaningful way. It doesn't hurt the game per se, but it does nothing to add to it IMO.

It 'feels' great - The way the character feels, the way the guns feel, even the way the vehicles feel are all an improvement over Wildlands (cars still aren't great but much, much better). Running around the jungle picking fights with wolves feels great.

Overall, we had an excellent time.

I haven;t bought in to all the new systems, there is a lot of Ubisoft bloat in there, unnecessary loot systems and some messy systems and menus tied to campaign progression, but underneath all that at the core is that same inexplicable thing that WIldlands had that made it so fun. There isn;t anything quite like it, it's an open-world, tactical, coop TPS and it's awesome. There are many legitimate criticisms afforded to Breakpoint, especially around bugs and performance but if you had any love for Wildlands I would highly encourage you to at least give this a go.

I spent 16 hours with two of my best mates running around an island doing faction missions, leveling classes, claiming blue prints and getting achievements and I loved every minute of it.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
woah! that's some wall of text mah dude!

i'm gonna have to see your building permit!

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The critical reviews were spot on...my God this game is atrocious in every metric and spectrum one can fathom. I was hoping that the reviews for the most part were hyperbolic but man oh man how wrong I was. There is no heart or soul here, I have no idea what this game wants to be and its just a wholly maddening experience. I powered through and finished the main story last night and I intend on selling this hot mess post haste. I can only hope Ubisoft learns a hard lesson here cause if they churn this crap out for their next title in the series....wooooo boy they will be sending it out to die a painful brutal death knell. I just want to forget what I experienced in the past 35 plus hours which won't be too hard considering how forgetful every iota the game tries to impress you with.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The critical reviews were spot on...my God this game is atrocious in every metric and spectrum one can fathom. I was hoping that the reviews for the most part were hyperbolic but man oh man how wrong I was. There is no heart or soul here, I have no idea what this game wants to be and its just a wholly maddening experience. I powered through and finished the main story last night and I intend on selling this hot mess post haste. I can only hope Ubisoft learns a hard lesson here cause if they churn this crap out for their next title in the series....wooooo boy they will be sending it out to die a painful brutal death knell. I just want to forget what I experienced in the past 35 plus hours which won't be too hard considering how forgetful every iota the game tries to impress you with.

Why would you spend 35 hours playing something you evidently did not enjoy?

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

I'm not sure why you forced yourself to play the game in 35 hours that you did not enjoy playing

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Why would you spend 35 hours playing something you evidently did not enjoy?

I'm stubborn, so once I start a game I have to finish it and I just didn't want this game to be looming in my backlog taunting me. My wife also watches me play games from time to time as well and I felt bad cause I know I was boiling over at moments where I was clearly losing my patience which I rarely ever do. To evoke such disdain from me...well I gotta give Ubisoft props there as I'm usually pretty forgiving of certain shortcomings but in this case there is just an egregious amount that its just unacceptable for game of this caliber. Alas, 2019 has not been kind to gamers at large this year.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even spend that much time on games that i LIKE. Come on dude. Your life is shorter than you think.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm stubborn, so once I start a game I have to finish it and I just didn't want this game to be looming in my backlog taunting me. My wife also watches me play games from time to time as well and I felt bad cause I know I was boiling over at moments where I was clearly losing my patience which I rarely ever do. To evoke such disdain from me...well I gotta give Ubisoft props there as I'm usually pretty forgiving of certain shortcomings but in this case there is just an egregious amount that its just unacceptable for game of this caliber. Alas, 2019 has not been kind to gamers at large this year.

Your time is of course your own to spend as you please, but to spend so long on something you were actively not enjoying seems ludicrous to me. The motivation being that you didn't eant it in your backlog.

You're not alone in it, but I'm not sure I'll ever understand the mindset.

DG5000

Nov 14, 2017

Gameplay looks solid. I'll get this one when the price drops. Thanks for the videos!

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Your time is of course your own to spend as you please, but to spend so long on something you were actively not enjoying seems ludicrous to me. The motivation being that you didn't eant it in your backlog.

You're not alone in it, but I'm not sure I'll ever understand the mindset.

We may not agree on our experiences but I feel that I'm still very much entitled to voicing my valid opinions here. Regardless if it bucks the trend or not. I'm a man of conviction if nothing else. 😉

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
To each their own brother. And I certainly don't need life lessons from someone else who is also on a gaming enthusiast forum. Kinda like the pot calling the kettle black eh?
Hey, suit yourself dude. I don't mind. It's your short-assed life ;p.
Maybe work on your sense of humor a bit. It wasn't meant that serious.
You took it as hostile while it was just a friendly funny thing to say.
Mr. serious.

Last edited:

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I get that you guys like the game, but asking "why did you play it for so long if you didn't like it" is such a weird way to try to deflect criticism.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
We may not agree on our experiences but I feel that I'm still very much entitled to voicing my valid opinions here. Regardless if it bucks the trend or not. I'm a man of conviction if nothing else. 😉

This goes without saying, as I say your time is yours to spend as you please regardless of what anyone says and your opinion so no more or less valid because it was a more negative one.

I commented moreso out of genuine puzzlement, I've seen a few people say similar thing on threads like this about spending X hours on a game they ardently disliked. I've just never understood what pushes people to keep committing time to it if it's just not working. I have generally little free time to game, I just couldn't force myself in to 35 hours of something I didn't like, my first 2-3 hours on this nearly made me drop the whole thing.

EDIT:

I get that you guys like the game, but asking "why did you play it for so long if you didn't like it" is such a weird way to try to deflect criticism.

It really wasn't the intention to deflect criticism. It just genuinely puzzles me. I didn't comment on or detract from the actual criticism presented.

Someone elses opinion doesn't enhance or detract from my experience of a game.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

I'm sortof used to the animosity that I receive from some posters at this juncture. Unjustified as it is. Comes with the territory of having a different opinion and the means of acquiring it.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
If a button prompt has an underline, that's Ubisoft telling you to hold the button down
Yeah it is not this I am talking about, this was pretty clear right off the bat, even though it is stupid I need to hold down B to get down a ladder. Really clumsy.
I think you're just referring to the icon it places on the map, you're not missing out on anything by not hitting a button after discovering an area. Doesn't work that way. It prompts you to look at the map after discovering a location for you to instantly see where that location is, but that's about all it offers in that department.
Okay thank you. You understood exactly what I was referring to. Yeah I was hoping I could skip bringing up the map and it would tell me the items of interest for each area right there (loot, credits, etc.), like you get when you roll over the area icon on the map itself. I thought there had to be some more info for that area as 9 times out of 10 it is already on my map as I scouted ahead with my drone. That is primarily what made me think perhaps there was some other info to be gained. Well that and the icon that pops up does look very similar to other ones that are saying press down.

Thanks again for clarifying.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Is there a quick way to access your loadout that I'm missing? Or does it always open to the menu and you have to toggle over?

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Please keep me/us updated if you run into anything performance wise. Any reason you are not using resolution mode?

I think I just assumed this is not a big time looker so I felt a steadier frame rate would work better. I may flip it to resolution to see if it gets a good boost.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing to do with critism (as any normal person would have understood) or liking the game (haven't played it). It's just: why continue doing something when you don't like it? That's pretty straight forward and logical. Well not for people like you and Mr. Serious & Easily Offended over there but to most people it makes perfect sense.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Ok stuck at another mission where it doesnt want to complete or show me where to go...the Maria quests that says its the tutorial to learn how to equip accessories...it's pinned and I dont see it on the map,we went and got the Compensator for a LMG anyway,but the misson still tells me to hit Square to learn how to equip an accessory...I go in Gunsmith and I cant figure out how to equip it...I raised a few of the stats in there but is not the same thing I guess...

Oct 27, 2017
Played 12 hours of this over the weekend, I will say i think this games greatest weakness is the sheer amount of systems it throws at you at the begging of the game, it feels overwhelming, once you figure it out and get used to everything its great but I can see how it would scare some people. Im enjoying it but my main issue is that I cant seem to stop doing side stuff its just so much fun.

Those wolve drones are some damn pests though, is there any way to effectively kill them quickly? I always struggle shooting at them.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok stuck at another mission where it doesnt want to complete or show me where to go...the Maria quests that says its the tutorial to learn how to equip accessories...it's pinned and I dont see it on the map,we went and got the Compensator for a LMG anyway,but the misson still tells me to hit Square to learn how to equip an accessory...I go in Gunsmith and I cant figure out how to equip it...I raised a few of the stats in there but is not the same thing I guess...

When youre outside of the little safe area, just go into the gunsmith and equip it, once you do and exit the menu it should pop saying it was completed, atleast thats how it was for me.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Played 12 hours of this over the weekend, I will say i think this games greatest weakness is the sheer amount of systems it throws at you at the begging of the game, it feels overwhelming, once you figure it out and get used to everything its great but I can see how it would scare some people. Im enjoying it but my main issue is that I cant seem to stop doing side stuff its just so much fun.

Those wolve drones are some damn pests though, is there any way to effectively kill them quickly? I always struggle shooting at them.

For the drones, using EMP grenades and rocket launchers (At least for heavy drones like Behemoth and Aamon) are good way to effectively kill them quickly. Don't forget to use high-powered snipers like M82 and TAC-50

Also, shooting the blue spots (I believe its blue spots) temporarily stuns them

Oct 25, 2017
Just hit the 40 hour mark at 215 gear score, and killed
Rosebud
. That mission was actually hilarious, because I killed the boss and was like "that's it?" then the game wanted me to loot the body and I realized the whole place was *surrounded* by nasty snipers. Ended up being a rough mission.

Still having fun with this game, and getting more excited about its future.

Oct 25, 2017
Who are these people? Lmao

I get trying to give a game that you have an initially poor impression of time to prove you wrong, or at the very least show a side that has redeeming qualities that make you re-evaluate whether or not you want to continue playing, but there's naturally a cut-off time to something like that. I don't think I'd give a game longer than 10 hours to do this, and that would be for a game that I *know* I like parts of, but that ultimately I dislike. In point of fact, I very recently did this with The Surge 2; it was a disappointing game for me, but I wanted to love it, so I gave it like 10+ hours to convince me to keep playing.

The idea of playing a game you think is shit for 20+ hours, though, especially when you find that it is trending *worse* and not better? You either actually like the game, or you're a glutton for punishment. If it's the latter, it's a hard sell for anyone to actually care about your pain.