• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Played some coop with a random dude we did the pleomorph side mission and had a ball, highly recommended

Mar 6, 2019
I decided to get the game. The last physical game I bought was Rock Band (Xbox One) and since I was so unsure about this one, I decided to get a physical copy so if I don't like it at least I can get something for it versus getting a digital copy. I had Links Awakening to trade in and since it has high value, I only ended paying $25 as the balance. I did play the Beta and was lukewarm to the game. Menu's/UI seemed overly cluttered and a bit overwhelming for a new player (I did not play more than 30 min of the previous game). I played the Beta on Xbox One X and felt the game ran pretty poorly in resolution mode. Some areas looked good in the beta, others areas did not and as mentioned it felt very choppy and not very smooth at all. I changed to graphic fidelity and did not notice much of a difference and still did not feel smooth. I enjoyed the gameplay and that is the thing that had me considering buying the game. The beta just did not sell me on the game and reading posts in this thread is what got me to start considering buying the game....and that is what I ended up doing. So that is my history in a nutshell with the beta and....

I am very glad/happy that I bought the game. I played a good 3 hours, which is something I have not done with a new game in a while. Firstly, it does definitely look better and performance is a lot better than it was in the Beta. There is screen tearing in resolution mode which is something I despise, but it was not been that intrusive...oddly I see it most in some of the Menu's, which is puzzling. I decided to start with the 2nd highest difficulty based on reading some comments and although I died early often, I was just getting my feet wet, determining how much distance I could be before being spotted etc. The section near the beginning where you take a vehicle and you make it to the hidden cave ran very poorly in the beta and was pleasantly surprised how smooth it was in the final game. Very impressed with this and the visuals overall so far.

With that said, I did come across some odd bugs even in the UI. When first starting the game and setting the HDR levels, I decided to change it back to the default and then the image that you see to adjust HDR disappeared and the two settings (paper white/HDR intensity) reset to Zero. Backing out to the previous menu to set the standard brightness also broke and that image disappeared. I even let it sit thinking it needed to load but nothing I did would bring the image in the brightness tab or the HDR one so I could adjust. I ended up quitting to the dashboard and reloading the game which fixed the issue. Things like this, which is some of the most basic things puts a bad taste in my mouth...but luckily in game play so far I have not experienced any bugs as of yet.

I am really shocked that most reviews are trashing the game as bad as they are. I know everyone has opinions and that is what a review is, a persons opinion. For what I have played so far, the scores just seem off to me. But that is of course my opinion. I have not played with anyone and have done just solo so far and been enjoying it a lot. I only stopped to watch Monday Night Football and have dinner with my wife. If she was working I would of eaten something quick and started playing again...which is rare for me these days where all I can think of is playing the game or as I write this talking about it in a forum. Granted my time is still early, but the difference between the beta and the final is pretty big at least on Xbox One X. So far I am impressed with the game. Like any game, I do hope Ubi updates that game to make it better (patches). While I have not encountered anything game breaking, patches always for the most part makes things better so I hope we see some improvements to any part of the game soon.

Thanks to many of the posters for providing impressions and information because that was pivotal to me making the purchasing decisions. I normally don't allow reviews to impact what I buy but when you see this many negatives it gives you pause. Glad that I went with my gut after reading impressions here in the thread.

Great impressions and my thoughts and experience exactly. Wasnt really sold on the beta. Picked the full release and pleasantly surprised. Sleeper of the year for me. Play this like a real Seal on realistic difficulty, guided mode off and most of hud off, after 8 hours in with some amazing guns and gear, this game really starts to shine and PVP is actually really fun. Just needs more maps. Gets really intense though!

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
You inspired me to try taking on the nearest Behemoth drone that was GS 180+ while I was 169. It turns out that they're actually pretty easy as long as you have a really big piece of cover to run back and forth along. Much like other drones, their weakspots can be uncovered through explosives (ie. rocket launchers) and you can do extra damage and stun them by hitting their eye.

that was the 100 gear level behemoth LUL

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Few questions regarding the only two things in Wildlands that bugged me:

1. Is there a bunch of absurd, over-the-top "I got a bead on this cocksucker" type machismo talk?
2. Do they still have the same shooting model, where bullets are modeled in the game and go "slow" through the air? This one didn't bug me too much, and it was easy to get used to, but I always felt like the bullet speed in Wildlands was just a tiny bit off.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
Cool, can't play this game I play 100% for the solo gameplay because of server maintenance.

USF

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint-06-Oct-19-4-24-53-PM.png

Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint-03-Oct-19-3-36-44-PM.png

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
I did a metal gear and snuck passed a gear level 200+ behemoth and stole the loot they were protecting hehe

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I have the Ultimate Edition. I have gotten to the first hub area where you see other player's and can purchase equipment.
I can't find the free weapons from the Ultimate edition. I can see them in the shop but they are charging for them. I triple checked and I do have the Ultimate edition. Does anyone have any idea?

Oct 25, 2017
I have the Ultimate Edition. I have gotten to the first hub area where you see other player's and can purchase equipment.
I can't find the free weapons from the Ultimate edition. I can see them in the shop but they are charging for them. I triple checked and I do have the Ultimate edition. Does anyone have any idea?

Are they asking for in-game currency, or ghost coins? if it's the former, maybe you still need to buy them in game but you have them "unlocked."

Oct 25, 2017
Man, was doing the
Flycatcher
missions, and about *everything* that could go wrong, did.

First, the opener has you go to a base to, presumably, question someone -- but that someone didn't appear; so I restarted the mission again... and then *again*. Which wouldn't be much of an issue, but there were like 3 of those car-style drones, and I kept having to deal with them. Finally, I gave up, and looked online for where the base I was supposed to be finding intel for was -- luckily, if you find the areas you need to in this game it forces the missions to move ahead a bit.

When I got to the final base, I meticulously cleared it all out, and just as I was finishing off like the last guy I *fell* down the only place in the area you could possibly fall and die in. It's nuts how often this game will do everything in its power to STOP your character from falling down the smallest drop, but it'll let you walk right off the empire state building otherwise. So I had to restart the checkpoint and do that mission over again as well. All said, it took me like 3 hours to finish 1 mission because of this.

If I could be so bold. Some changes:

1) They need to fix vaulting. It doesn't work over obstacles it should, and it sucks.
2) They need to let you pull out your parachute *everywhere*, not just on very particular surfaces. Like 90% of the time it doesn't work, even in areas where it totally should.
3) Ladders take an obscene amount of time to grab on to; it's like the game gets confused about what to do when you press spacebar.
4) Questioning people shouldn't be reset when you get shot at or whatever; it's annoying to have to wait through all that dialogue, especially when the dialogue often times says nothing interesting other than canned lines.
5) Erewhon needs a *much* larger icon on the map. Or there just needs to be a dedicated "Warp to erawhon" button.
6) When you get shot your character sometimes just loses the ability to aim and shoot for a couple seconds. It's annoying as fuck and needs to go.
7) "Falling" needs to be fixed. It's insane how stupid it looks when you start "falling" off a cliffside in this game; your character becomes laddergoat, starts grabbing onto things that aren't there, sometimes mantles into thin air and drops down, and ultimately if he *does* fall sometimes it's so glitchy there's no damage when you hit the ground. It's as if the programmer who had the character physics responsibility just never deal with the case where a player falls off of things. It needs to be *totally* reworked.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Are they asking for in-game currency, or ghost coins? if it's the former, maybe you still need to buy them in game but you have them "unlocked."
I don't know 100% about the Ultimate Edition weapons, but other unlocked weapons exist as blueprints that you have to pay the Skell credits to buy. They did it this way so that you can always have an appropriate gear score version of each special weapon rather than give you one at the start and find that they're totally useless in an hour.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know 100% about the Ultimate Edition weapons, but other unlocked weapons exist as blueprints that you have to pay the Skell credits to buy. They did it this way so that you can always have an appropriate gear score version of each special weapon rather than give you one at the start and find that they're totally useless in an hour.

I think I'd of preferred them to be free weapons whenever you wanted to upgrade for those promo guns.. but the $1500 Skell Credits or whatever isn't super expensive or anything.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Is anyone here actively playing Ghost War? Curious on opinions.

My squad was exclusively PVP in Wildlands but we all hate what they did in Breakpoint.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I've got this game in the shrink wrap and I just don't know whether to open it or send it back.

Can someone tell me how much of it takes place in a environment other than the jungle of the beta? I see snow in some screenshots and I'm a sucker for snow levels. Is it mostly jungle though?

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I've got this game in the shrink wrap and I just don't know whether to open it or send it back.

Can someone tell me how much of it takes place in a environment other than the jungle of the beta? I see snow in some screenshots and I'm a sucker for snow levels. Is it mostly jungle though?
I'd say it mostly takes place in building complexes actually. I wish it took place in the jungle. But yes, there are snow areas. Building complexes in the snow.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Few questions regarding the only two things in Wildlands that bugged me:

1. Is there a bunch of absurd, over-the-top "I got a bead on this cocksucker" type machismo talk?
2. Do they still have the same shooting model, where bullets are modeled in the game and go "slow" through the air? This one didn't bug me too much, and it was easy to get used to, but I always felt like the bullet speed in Wildlands was just a tiny bit off.
Since there arent any AI teammates, you dont hear that kind of random phrase stuff any more.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I guess it's kinda a spoiler sorta, but you can check out the full map here:

Hide all the little item location stuff with the sidebar.

You can see there is a rather large 'spine' of the island that is covered in snow. The areas right next to the snow are usually either arid or woodland. There is a bit of desert'ish terrain but not much. Most of the coastline is Jungle-type I'd say (though not all).

It's a tropical island so really there is a fair amount of jungle, but it's not exclusively so.

I didn't find an abundance of buildings either, all things considered.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so what is the point after you complete the story. All the impressions have me intrigued, but I don't play pvp. Is there a lot of content for a pve player after the story is done?

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Ok so what is the point after you complete the story. All the impressions have me intrigued, but I don't play pvp. Is there a lot of content for a pve player after the story is done?
I haven't beaten it yet, but there are randomly generated faction missions that unlock cosmetics whose pool changes every two months. You also have a ton of bases to clear that have weapon mods, blueprints, and additional skill points to collect. Those two series of activities have probably consumed about half of my 40 hours played in spite of not having finished the main story. You can also replay the story missions (definitely in coop. I haven't explicitly verified this in single player, but Wildlands let you, so it's a safe bet that you can do that here). There's a raid (not sure if in the game already) and special events coming, the first of which features the Terminator.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Am I crazy for liking this game? It's a 7 out of 10 for me.

It's absolutely a solid 7/10 game, with "easy" improvements possible to get up to 8 or 9/10 I feel.

Depending on how/what they do with DLC, bugfixes, etc.. I can see this turning in a really good/fun game that has some staying power.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Am I crazy for liking this game? It's a 7 out of 10 for me.
You absolutely are not. I'm damn near loving it right now.

I feel like a pretty big difference between it and Wildlands is the world itself (at least the part of the map I am currently in) is much more dense and it is very easy to just stumble on something to do. The stats menu I now know exists thanks to someone answering me last night tells me I've played 6 hours and I've only discovered .46% of things. That is not a typo, I have discovered less than 1%. Granted that also feels a little daunting to someone like myself who just does not have a whole lot of time to dedicate to games these days. But I know one thing for damn sure. This game is no doubt going to tide me over and entertain me until November comes around. There are a handful of games I am really looking forward to playing, but I am no longer feeling like I have nothing to play in the interim. No doubt at all about that fact.

Since I do have less time to game these days I admittedly am way less critical of games than I would have been in my late 20's and even early to mid 30's. But as a 44 year old who still enjoys the occasional video game now and then and who has historically loved this franchise, my only complaint right now would be there is almost too much to do. Which ironically I see that seems to be the biggest complaint by those gamers who can dedicate hours upon hours in one day to play a game. A general consensus among the negative criticisms I have seen is it lacks depth. I just am not seeing that myself at least not yet.

Then again I am perfectly fine with just being presented a new little area or outpost and me figuring out the best way and approach to try and clear that area stealthily. I know people like to point out Ubisoft is formulaic with their overall approach to most games. I have no problem saying I am and always will be a fan of it myself. Formula or not they do stealth the way I personally enjoy it. Not too rigid and almost arcade like in approach, but still stealth at the end of the day. I can't stand stealth games where everything all goes to shit if you are spotted once.It is just not fun to me. Ubisoft makes stealth fun. And I do understand that's why so many people dislike them. Again I am not one of those people. I am a fan.

I do think it all comes down to expectations and how in depth one demands their games are these days. For my specific situation and the fact my tastes have changed as my habits have changed, the game is incredibly enjoyable. Perhaps what I enjoy most is even though for me it appears like there is too much to do, it is very friendly and conducive to pick up and play in short session bursts. That is all I personally get these days. An hour or two here. A quick 30 minutes there. Even with the larger open world it isa great game to just hop on for a quick session. Since I tend to enjoy most open world games, I can absolutely say that is definitely not the norm. People may point to this fact asfurther proof that I lacks depth. I point to it as Ubisoft trying to cater to everyone at once. The simple fact is there are a decent amount of gamers like me who do not have a lot of time for games these days. I absolutely appreciate when an open world game does its best to accommodate us.

8/10 for me 6 hours in.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Eh... I'm actually starting to come around on this game. The open world is great and I'm quite impressed by base PS4 performance most of the time.

Always online is still bullshit though.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
i heard that apparently people are complaining that there's too much to do... I mean, what?

i now have skill points that i cant use since i filled up the skill tree hehe

EDIT: Wow the AI is really average at best but I guess it can't be too good otherwise it wouldn't be playable. I also think that kb4517389 fixed my audio glitching out...will keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Is it pretty easy to figure out what to do next to advance the story? I know that seems obvious, but it's a pet peeve of mine when it's difficult to discern critical path from side stuff.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
They really need to improve the enemy AI

Stealthing isn't fun when I'm going up against toddlers playing soldier

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
that's the big problem if they made the AI really good then you'd pretty much insta-die and that wouldn't be fun.

Of course, but there has to be some level of challenge beyond "this robot has 100000000000000 HP" for the gameplay to be enjoyable in the longer term

Otherwise I might as well just shoot static targets

Misuta

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Germany
Is this game a time sink like Assassin's Creed Odyssey? I put over 200h in this game and I'm still not done with the Fate of Atlantis DLC.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
My first exposure to the game was extended periods of coop play, so the issues people have stated thus far about the AI weren't immediately obvious because when it kicked off it was generally more dynamic because there were more of us.

Now playing a few hours solo I can definitely see the seams, especially when they seem to move toward you along the same straight path.

It just needs more variety, a few more behaviours from the enemy. Let them suppress me, flank, grenade, anything beyond just running in a straight line. It's still fairly fun to quietly stalk your way around a base, moreso if you kill as few enemies as possible and extract undetected, but firefights could be more interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this game a time sink like Assassin's Creed Odyssey? I put over 200h in this game and I'm still not done with the Fate of Atlantis DLC.

It doesn't have to be, of course, but yeah if you have the intention of doing everything, collecting everything, getting all titles, etc., you'll be at this game for easily 100+ hours. Maybe more. I'm at 45 and still not max gear score or at the end of the campaign.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Been watching ALOT of videos and this game looks pretty fun to me (even with dumb ai) , if looks like a slightly less polished mgs5 but without the stuoid story,zombies,half naked soldiers , motherbase , and a finished story (even if its not great).

I am halfway through borderlands 3 and its boring as batshit , I feel like whenever a game is hated by critics i usually have a solid time lol

Its definitely buggy and probably repetitive busywork like most ubi games but I am confident it will be more fun then borderlands for me.

Hopefully Ubisoft continue to patch and support it.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Game is fine and about 7.5/10 but AI needs to throw grenades and learn to climb ladders, then it would be more fun.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Of course, but there has to be some level of challenge beyond "this robot has 100000000000000 HP" for the gameplay to be enjoyable in the longer term

Otherwise I might as well just shoot static targets
I find that, much like in other open world games, what you consider the real challenge is up to you, and how good the game is often relies on your own creativitiy. This is because, generally, you're never restricted in what approach you can take or what weapons and tools that you can use. So, in Breakpoint, every fight can be finished by going loud and just shooting up the place no matter what class you're playing, which is a really boring way to play this game. Right now, I'm trying to level up the Assault class, and I've made it a challenge by going mostly loud with only a silencer on my pistol to take out some key targets, such as sneaking up on snipers and disabling turrets/generators, and to set up some traps (mines) before opening up with loud weapons and other explosives. While leveling Sharpshooter, I made it a challenge by attempting to take out all targets from a distance without being seen rather than immediately storming the base after they became alerted or finding that everyone is behind cover (so mostly taking shots > 100 m away). As the Panther class, you can set your own bar for 'failure': take it easy where being seen but getting away is fine or perhaps only completely ghosting the base is acceptable to you.

Concerning drones, I've found that they've added a lot to the stealth game because, as you've alluded to, they might not go down fast or quietly. For flying drones, I've found it a nice challenge to track their patrol paths and try to find isolated spots where I can safely snipe them down without anyone hearing their explosions OR making a safe spot by taking out the soldiers somewhere along their flight paths and moving the bodies (particularly because the flying drones are very good at spotting corpses). The tank-like drones are challenging in a different way: since they can take a decent number of hits, you absolutely cannot take them down silently, thus these drones create zones that you cannot travel easily nor kill the soldiers in with impunity, thus you might have to deal with these areas last after taking down the rest of the base or find ways to draw the soldiers away from the drones.

The other challenge with drones is making it so that they don't feel like they have "100000000000000 HP". Most drones can be taken out within about 5 seconds. This involves knowing where their weak points are and exposing those weak points. For those who care about figuring these things out for themselves, I'm going to spoiler my own observations.
Almost all drones and even turrets have a small 'eye' camera that not only does a lot of damage if hit but also stuns the drone for about 3 seconds, afterwhich it hides its eye for a bit. Even the Behemoth has an eye, although the threshold for damage to get the stun effect seems a lot higher than with other drones. Glowing spots are also weak points, but these need to be exposed with explosives, namely the rocket launcher. So, for Aamon tank drones as the Panther class, I open with a rocket launcher which immediately exposes its weak points and takes off like 1/2 of its HP, shoot it with a non-silenced, high powered sniper in its eye to stun it and take off another 1/3 of its HP, and then it takes maybe 1 more round into the glowing weak spots to finish it off.

For a video demonstration of this, I have uploaded the following video where I take out 2 Aamon drones in a matter of seconds each.

ExaKel

Feb 18, 2019
heck you don't even have to defeat behemoths to get the goodies. you can just sneak your way Solid Snake style!