• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

14659.gif

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
$20 seems to be the upper limit that most people are willing to pay for digital cosmetic items so this checks out. All this does is sell at a stupid price to single person first and create artificial scarcity. Additional steps that create added friction to someone making a purchase in the first place and fewer people making purchases doesn't seem like a profitable trend once people stop these stupid speculative bids.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
"Plots of virtual land for veteran developer Peter Molyneux's upcoming NFT-based game Legacy have sold for more than $15 million"

I feel this is the real story here.... holy shit wtf.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, it looks like a few have sold for ~$90 USD?

6RWWWqJ.png

But I was promised MY NFT would be completely unique!

But 20 bucks for a gun in a videogame that I only kinda own? Why would I want to do that when I can literally buy entire games filled to the brim with MORE GUNS?

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
"Plots of virtual land for veteran developer Peter Molyneux's upcoming NFT-based game Legacy have sold for more than $15 million"

I feel this is the real story here.... holy shit wtf.
Already had it's own thread. Also, it's actually sold $52 million (!) worth of NFTs, dunno where Totilo got $15 million

www.resetera.com

Peter Molyneux's next game has sold £40M ($52M) in NFTs already

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/peter-molyneuxs-next-game-has-sold-40-million-in-nfts He'll make more from this than Fable or any other of his games I suspect. Crazy.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Shocked CoD doesn't have NFTs yet.

There's no point. Activision wants to sell you unique skins over and over again. They don't want people re-selling them, because that would inevitably generate less money overall.

This Ubisoft crap is just the Steam marketplace, but with a lot less utility.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I would understand if maybe they at least looked a little bit different.

But it's not even that lol. Ubi just stamped done fucking random number at the end and called it a day.
The number is printed on the actual gun, making them all technically a little bit different (good luck actually seeing it in-game though lmao)

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
It's literally just weapon skins that they can cream a cut from every time they're resold. Valve figured this out years ago with the Marketplace - just copy that system, why do NFTs even need to be involved? This whole thing is deeply, deeply stupid.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
All it takes is a group of money launderers/scammers buying and selling items among themselves to artificially inflate the price before gamers with small brains fomo and start buying.

I hope every twitch streamer and YouTube influencer calls out this nft bullshit and rips companies trying to push it a new asshole.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
All it takes is a group of money launderers/scammers buying and selling items among themselves to artificially inflate the price before gamers with small brains fomo and start buying.

I hope every twitch streamer and YouTube influencer calls out this nft bullshit and rips companies trying to push it a new asshole.
Streamers/influencers are going to be the ones selling this to their audiences

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I think people owning NFTs are in some linear graph between stupid and sleazy, but can't tell where.
I think people owning game NFTs are all the way into the stupid side of the graph. At least those that have bought one.
Once the game is out of service, that thing is going to be absolutely worthless since no other dev is going to ever bother including those items in a different game "for free".

People buying things like virtual land plots are just a lost cause to me. Specially for upcoming games that, for all we know, could be janky as hell.

And all this would be almost okay if it wasn't because everything uses Ethereum, which is an environmental nightmare that apparently too many people are way too cool with. And that's why I'm okay insulting all those people, because they are actively destroying the ecosystem at a high rate and only obtaining a damned jpeg file or skin in a game.

Last edited:

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
What happens when the breeakpoint servers go offline?

It's an NFT. It will be available for the owner on the network, and when someone code something that can use it, it can grant you something in a game, or basically any service using NFT's.

Just like Pokemons or Magic makes a case to use it, I've tought about Monster Rancher. Instead of CD's, NFT's.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I think people owning NFTs are in some linear graph between stupid and sleazy, but can't tell where.
I think people owning game NFTs are all the way into the stupid side of the graph. At least those that have bought one.
Once the game is out of service, that thing is going to be absolutely worthless since no other dev is going to ever bother including those items in a different game "for free".

People buying things like virtual land plots are just a lost cause to me. Specially for upcoming games that, for all we know, could be janky as hell.

And all this would be almost okay if it wasn't because everything uses Ethereum, which is an environmental nightmare that apparently too many people are way too cool with. And that's why I'm okay insulting all those people, because they are actively destroying the ecosystem at a high rate and only obtaining a damned jpeg file or skin in a game.
This has nothing to do with Ethereum. It's on Tezos which does not use mining and has trivial power requirements.

Deleted member 10384

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 7, 2021
Borderlands 2's "A bazillion guns!!", they really missed out.

Also, the real irony here is an NFT being unique, but these gun skins were clearly copied, and merely called unique.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I mean value is going to be tied to the popularity of the game. No one gives a fuck about these skins cause they are in a dead coop only game. On the other hand if these NFT skins were in something like COD and Apex the value would be large.