• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't. Ghostbusters 2016 is a misfire in many ways, but it in no way "shits on the Ghostbusters name" any more than GB2 already did 30 years ago. Bill Murray avoided being involved with the franchise for two decades after the disaster that was GB2, and rightly so.
It is though, Ghostbusters 2 is a masterpiece compared to 2016 version in every way. GB2 gets unfairly shit on and is way better than your giving credit.,

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I took my daughters to see it in the theater.

They enjoyed it (7 and 11).

I thought it was absolutely awful, as did my wife.

I love Ghostbusters, it's one of my favorite movie series/games too. I wish it was "good".

I can't bring myself to sit through it again...in any form.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I can't think of much about that movie that I liked. With most things I can see how some people might like it, even if I don't, but how anyone could argue Ghostbusters reboot is a good movie, or even above average movie, is completely beyond me. Even if you ignore comparisons to the original, as a stand alone movie it's garbage.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Kevin annoyed the hell out of me when I first watched this in the theater. Disagreed with the video as it was not my type of comedy, but brother likes it, which lead to me watching the Extended cut.

Opinion didn't change. It's what it is

Oh God Kevin was the worst. Like the ugliest, unfunniest type of trope there is.

I kind of get it, lots of films use that same trope but with hot women instead, and I guess they wanted to highlight that in a film celebrating women leads. But the original Ghostbusters wasn't like that. It's female leads were just nothing like that at all. More like no nonsense ladies. So I'm not sure it makes sense, at least in the context of the older films.

But ultimately, it just wasn't funny. The trope is only funny when the "dumb" is believable and leads to funny things happening. But in this case the dumb wasn't believable. The character came off as possibly having a mental health condition. If someone genuinely acted like that coming into an interview, my response wouldn't be to sexually harass them (also not funny), but seriously to see if perhaps he had some sort of developmental problem that needed special handling/help.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's definitely not better than the Sonic movie he spent a whole video shitting on.
The only reason this is even arguable is Jim Carrey. Sonic's pacing is awful and it doesn't take the time to make you care about the characters, or establish believable relationships or motives. These things are important, even in a dumb film about an animated hedgehog from another dimension. The story is all about who the characters are, what they want, and how their relationships change through the story. It's clearly trying to create some semblance of emotional investment, and it falls flat.

The characters are paper thin and they don't act like people. Their reactions to things don't make sense.

The cop character's arc, where he learns to value his small town culture, was set up incredibly poorly. There's actually no reason to think that his promotion or his move to the city would be a bad thing, until the movie suddenly tells you that he's wrong for abandoning his town. (wat??) The bizarre tension with his wife's sister makes zero sense. She comes off as an angry black woman stereotype because it's never made clear why she's against him.

Those are just a couple examples from this mess. Robotnik is the only character that actually works, because he's too zany to need logical grounding, and his goals are easy to understand.

At least the Ghostbusters 2016 doesn't rely on phony drama and forced relationships. It's a bunch of wacky characters in a silly story, where most of the entertainment value lies in watching their personalities spark and clash. It has good production values and it works as a cartoonish adventure, even if it kind of shoots itself in the foot by being attached to a beloved series.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's funny because this is what I thought about the Sonic movie.
If you look at how Tom and Maddie are presented, and Sonic and Tom's whole dynamic, and Tom's life in his town, the movie is plainly trying make you invest in at least a surface level. It tries to create relatable drama and understandable motives, but it fails because the characters are irrational and the storytelling is dumb.

Remember Tom's weird arc where he learns that going to the city to advance his career is bad for some reason? Even though he wanted to move and he had Maddie's support? Sonic gets all pissed that he's "abandoning" the townspeople, and we're fed some hokey moral about valuing your family or whatever. It's contrived, illogical, and mind-numbing stuff with a hollow emotional core.

I'm confident that I'm not reading too much into a light and goofy movie that's not meant to be taken seriously, because the movie takes itself seriously. With the enjoyable exception of Robotnik, the movie actually plays these characters straight -- and you can draw a clear line between the serious character stuff and the comic relief they take part in. It's super weird.

May 24, 2019
I hated the extended cut. Wiig's character is better without the boyfriend subplot.
I don't remember any of the other changes or jokes, but I don't think I liked them.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Answer the Call is fine and does some things better than the original movies. If Bill Murray hadn't gummed the whole thing up for 30 years we would have moved on from the original 4 guys decades ago anyway. People need to let go of the idea that Ghostbusters can only ever be those 4 men if they have any desire to ever see the IP flourish and continue.

GhostCorps needs to start adapting the IDW Ghostbusters comics into movies or a new TV series. There's so much that can be done with the concept, and the comics prove it - AND that's while they're still tied to the OG4. Imagine what Ghostbusting in other countries with other types of spirits could be like, what other kinds of technology and tricks they'd have to use that the OGs never had to deal with.

Oct 25, 2017
Preach

The 2016 Ghostbusters movie is a movie I find myself enjoying more the more times I watch it.

By the third time I had watched it I was really disappointed that there will never be a sequel because I actually like these characters. I personally think Kevin was played a little too dumb but I think that was because I wanted more of a Jeanine like character.

But then even looking back on that a snarky sarcastic man acting like she did to the women would probably be problematic.

There are definitely some pacing issues and some of the jokes go a little too long but overall I really do enjoy it.

If you want more of the 2016 Ghostbusters check out the comic books because they are awesome in that.

Yeah, the IDW comics really enhance GB 2016, and help meld it with the OG GBs (as well as the spin-off Ghostbusters).

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the worst movies I have ever seen. Don't think I laughed even once and even the best attempts failed due to horrible use of timing, the set ups are poorly timed and nothing is given a chance to breath before they try again.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Answer the Call is fine and does some things better than the original movies. If Bill Murray hadn't gummed the whole thing up for 30 years we would have moved on from the original 4 guys decades ago anyway. People need to let go of the idea that Ghostbusters can only ever be those 4 men if they have any desire to ever see the IP flourish and continue.

GhostCorps needs to start adapting the IDW Ghostbusters comics into movies or a new TV series. There's so much that can be done with the concept, and the comics prove it - AND that's while they're still tied to the OG4. Imagine what Ghostbusting in other countries with other types of spirits could be like, what other kinds of technology and tricks they'd have to use that the OGs never had to deal with.
A lot of people don't care about or want ghostbusters to be a ip or franchise. To so many, it was just this classic 80's movie that they loved for specfic reasons.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My wife and I saw it opening weekend, and we had a blast.

Yes, it's a different movie from the original Ghostbusters, but he makes a point about that in the video. It's not a movie made for 1984's sensibilities, it's a movie made for 2016's sensibilities.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I saw it opening weekend, and we had a blast.

Yes, it's a different movie from the original Ghostbusters, but he makes a point about that in the video. It's not a movie made for 1984's sensibilities, it's a movie made for 2016's sensibilities.
Ain't that the truth. 2016 - Brexit, Trump, Ghostbusters.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it first viewing but my mom has a really bad habit of turning on the same movie over and over again because she wants something on she doesn't have to pay attention to.

She probably had this movie on 30+ times and now I fucking despise it.

She did this with Jurassic World, and I don't even remember what else at this point. Oh yeah, Force Awakens also. Fucking hate all 3 movies now.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I said so many years ago and I'll say it again. I saw the film in theater way back when, and there's a good cut of the film somewhere in all of the filmed material, but absolutely not in the theatrical or extended cut as is. Honestly, most of the stuff needs to be cut and make it a hell of a lot more subtle. There's an occasional funny quip here and there, but no way in hell it's even decent as it is.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
Didn't this guy say Star Trek Generations was good? I've watched a few of his videos and he seems to go overboard on the whole "well, actually..." thing and I couldn't take him seriously.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people don't care about or want ghostbusters to be a ip or franchise. To so many, it was just this classic 80's movie that they loved for specfic reasons.
Good for them. The guy who created it loves the concept with his heart and soul and wanted it to span multiple movies and grow well beyond the scope of the original. The IP itself is so perfect for expansion they literally make a joke about it at the beginning of the first movie. Paranormal shit is Dan Aykroyd's biggest passion, he's like 110% True Believer and he has always wanted to make multiple sequels (he wrote at least six) telling many more stories beyond Ghostbusters. It's not even a question of if they can do it, the comics alone show beyond a shadow of a doubt that the universe set up in the first movie and even the sequel have incredible story telling possibilities.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them. The guy who created it loves the concept with his heart and soul and wanted it to span multiple movies and grow well beyond the scope of the original. The IP itself is so perfect for expansion they literally make a joke about it at the beginning of the first movie. Paranormal shit is Dan Aykroyd's biggest passion, he's like 110% True Believer and he has always wanted to make multiple sequels (he wrote at least six) telling many more stories beyond Ghostbusters. It's not even a question of if they can do it, the comics alone show beyond a shadow of a doubt that the universe set up in the first movie and even the sequel have incredible story telling possibilities.
I'm not saying what it should or shouldn't be, but explaining how a lot see it.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
Thought it was incredibly boring/unfunny and considering it has a 74% RT I definitely believe audiences were more on the right about this movie than critics .

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was fine, and my 2016 kids thought so too. We all agree it was pretty forgetable. None of us got the hate, but none of us are like let's watch the 2016 ghostbusters movie either.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying what it should or shouldn't be, but explaining how a lot see it.
Sure, and I'm saying they need to let it go. Nobody would be forcing them to go see any subsequent movies. They can continue to watch the original movie and live their entire lives never consuming any other Ghostbusters media if they want to. Making more movies hurts a whopping zero percentage of people - the creator gets to do what he wants to do with his franchise, fans who want sequels can watch them, fans that don't want sequels can ignore them. :)

Not necessarily. Some movies were a case of lightening in a bottle and just came out at a certain time and specific things happened that made it loved.

Steven Universe, Star Wars, etc etc absolutely have fans that are so entitled they think that they are in control of the franchises they're fans of and Answer the Call proved without a shadow of a doubt that Ghostbusters is not immune. And the idea that Ghostbusters is a once in a lifetime thing is completely invalidated by the existence of the IDW comics series, which isn't even written by any of the original people but by someone who actually gets it and gives a shit about the material. It's not impossible to tell good Ghostbusters stories beyond the first movie. Like anything, you need people who actually put effort into the work and care about making something good.

Feig wanted to make something completely new with his reboot but Sony and McCarthy fucked him over all through production, so even Answer the Call isn't a fair assessment because it's not what he set out to make. His original vision was completely different from what we wound up with, it could have been really good if he'd gotten to do it his way. He was the only person who stepped up to even try and take on the franchise.

Last edited:

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the dumbest comparisons I've ever seen on this forum, and that takes a lot.
You said the movie fit the sensibilities of 2016. I agreed. You know, for a joke.

Not a big long joke like they have in Ghostbusters 2016 where they go on to explain why Trump is bad, and why Brexit is bad, and why the movie is bad, and isn't it amusing how they all happened within a certain time period. But still, a joke.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think its fair to say Murray stopped things because of GB2. Yes he was disappointed with it but its more his asshole feud with Ramis which is what held things up. Ramis was sick of Murrays shit and Murray being Murray pouted for decades. Dan and crew went out of their way to meet Bills demands of death etc. repeatedly and yet Murray would still find someway to fuck things up.

Ghostbusters 2016 had a realtively solid cast that was let down by poor direction. The fuckboi movement against the movie was so strong they could not help themselves and essentially made the movie villian one of the fuckbois which just gave power to the fuckbois even more because it showed their assault on the movie was effective

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I still need to watch this video to see his argument, but I remember this one being very boring and painfully unfunny. Was really disappointing to me because I like a lot of the actors in it and though before releas that Feig might be a good choice. Wasn't this right off his success of Bridesmaids which was great?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I still need to watch this video to see his argument, but I remember this one being very boring and painfully unfunny. Was really disappointing to me because I like a lot of the actors in it and though before releas that Feig might be a good choice. Wasn't this right off his success of Bridesmaids which was great?

he had the heat and spy after bridesmaids and before ghostbusters. he's been basically one on one off since bridesmaids.

Nov 23, 2017
The movie ain't great but it's not horrible either. Holtzmann is my favorite Ghosbusters character of all time. I love her.

I'm honestly bitter about the pre-release experience with many men out there refusing to see it or review it while "standing their ground" about all the "changes". So much women hating. With the movie not doing well, we'll never see another Ghostbusters movie with these ladies again and that's upsetting. It makes me not want to watch the new one coming out of spite.

Dec 16, 2017
I thought the movie was pretty disappointing. I think the cast has been much funnier elsewhere and I was really hoping for a home run so all the naysayers could eat crow.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
It's the exact same kind of movie that GB1 was in both quality and intent. It's an excuse for comedic actors to fuck around with some nice paranormal special effects. People put the first movie on a giant pedestal because they watched the cartoons and played with the toys and it makes them feel all ooey gooey with nostalgia, not because it's a well crafted movie.

Given the choice I will always pick the 2016 film, and I'm super bummed that there won't be any sequels.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The hate it got pre-release was very weird...
As a ghost busters fan, i just didnt like that it was a reboot. I prefer the direction they are taking with after life by making it a sequel. If 2016 were a sequel with the same all female cast playing the new ghost busters i wouldnt have minded. I just didnt love that they tried to make a new canon basically saying that in this cannon the originals never happened. Again i dont think the cast was the issue with the film

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I actually rather enjoyed Ghostbusters 2016. I'm really disappointed we won't be getting a sequel to it.

And the trailer for it certainly was more hype inducing than the Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer, which actually sucks hype away rather than building it. Seriously what a fucking rubbish trailer.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching it in theaters with my wife and not hating it. However, I got a free copy of the movie when Movies Anywhere was doing all of those promotions by connecting services to your account and my son LOVES watching Ghostbusters 2016. After watching it several times again while he's watching it, I've really grown to hate it.

The movie just isn't funny and the dialog is really corny.

It's the exact same kind of movie that GB1 was in both quality and intent. It's an excuse for comedic actors to fuck around with some nice paranormal special effects. People put the first movie on a giant pedestal because they watched the cartoons and played with the toys and it makes them feel all ooey gooey with nostalgia, not because it's a well crafted movie.

I agree. I never really understood the love for Ghostbusters. I didn't really care for any of them, and I'm a child of the 80's. Overrated in my book. I'm hoping Afterlife can change my mind.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020
I left this movie on TV while working from home and it was a mistake. Awful. Jokes don't land, nothing is given space to breathe. It often feels like three different editors took three passes at making the movie work and you're just left with whatever.

It would have likely been sub-50% RT if it weren't for the successful ad campaign making a shitty movie into some kind of culture war touchstone.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Oh I'm not saying that there aren't elements of Ghostbusters 2 that are great, but as a whole it's a pretty trash film, especially in comparison to the first one.
It's lazy as fuck but I don't know if I'd call it trash. The first half before they become Ghostbusters again is hilarious. After that though, it's just the first movie beat for beat. But as someone also said... Janosz. I can't hate it but its more enjoyable that the 2016 version.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I don't care if the extended cut fixes the structure of the movie, the movie that was there was just a constant stream of annoying babbling. The jokes that did land were usually worth nothing more than a chuckle.