• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
RT is at 88% and 8/10 as of this edit

www.rottentomatoes.com

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | Rotten Tomatoes

In Ghostbusters: Afterlife, when a single mom and her two kids arrive in a small town, they begin to discover their connection to the original ghostbusters and the secret legacy their grandfather left behind.

Metacritic is at 69 as of this edit

www.metacritic.com

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Ghostbusters: Afterlife movie reviews & Metacritic score: When a single mom and her two kids arrive in a small town, they begin to discover their connection to the original ghostbusters and the secret legacy their gran...

EDIT - Deleted Deadline review as it's sexist garbage.

Last edited:

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
ghostbusters-millertime.gif

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck at this in the Deadline review?

Nor is it trying to be woke with an all female team that included among others Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, and Kate McKinnon (without even bothering to rename the movie – how about Ghostbusters: MeToo?).

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm looking forward to it but more importantly I'm hoping my son will love it as much as I loved the originals as a kid.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Seems weird that reviews are coming out more than a month from release

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Felt about that

Damn, I'm sad I might not be "trembling in awe", this social media impression got my hopes up too high :P

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
That Timothee Chalamet guy is everywhere

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they lean too hard on the old stuff in a way that detracts from their new characters and ghosts, which is a shame but not a surprise.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every review makes it sound like the movie has little to stand on aside from pandering to long time fans of the originals. Reminds me of what I was hearing about The Force Awakens. Pretty and maybe some fun but incredibly beholden to what came before it.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The Variety article has a suggested spoiler which people might want to avoid.

CG Harold Ramis?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Every review makes it sound like the movie has little to stand on aside from pandering to long time fans of the originals. Reminds me of what I was hearing about The Force Awakens. Pretty and maybe some fun but incredibly beholden to what came before it.

Most reviews said otherwise ?

Also I get a feeling their goal with this is not to literally murder every single main character of the past films + their offspring so it will hold up better than the star wars sequels !

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most reviews said otherwise ?

Also I get a feeling their goal with this is not to literally murder every single main character of the past films + their offspring so it will hold up better than the star wars sequels !

Many reviews talk about its debt to the original films and how much of it comes off as "Member berries" Ghostbusters edition. We've even had some people on this site echo similar.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What the actual fuck at that sexist alt-right garbage in the Deadline review?

Quite literally mocking sexual harassment victims. The writer should be fired immediately.

May 14, 2021
Chappelle writing movie reviews for Deadline?

Reviews seem great. Can't wait to see it with my wife whenever it can be rented or streamed.

OP
OP
Wingfan19

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I'm gonna delete that Deadline review. I didn't read any of them before posting as to avoid spoiling myself, but that review is straight garbage and doesn't need any more clicks.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
They were confident in this movie if the release isn't for over a month and looks like it paid off!
Looking forward to it!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Might be okay in a vacuum, but sounds like it fails as a ghostbusters movie. This Force Awakens trend of reboots so blindly reverent to the original are so boring. Feels like expensive fan fiction

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah, I'm disappointed but not surprised.

I think if you're going to do a sequel to a beloved film, the director responsible should have an aura of James Cameron tier arrogance about them, the motivation to make a film better than the original, not a mere love letter or homage. Otherwise we end up with films that are so reverential, they can't even form their own identity or create new iconic characters, narratives, and quite frankly come off kind of pathetic like Force Awakens, Jurassic World, etc. I have zero interest in watching this movie unfortunately, I can almost smell the saccharine from here.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
But Ghostbusters is a franchise where you could kill off every main character of the past films with a shrug and it'd fit the spirit of the original.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
www.avclub.com

Ghostbusters: Afterlife is a dispiriting nostalgia exercise

Yes, Ivan Reitman’s son has turned Ghostbusters into Super 8. Only Super 8 had vastly funnier dialogue.

Knew it would be like this, contrary to the faithful in the trailer thread who said it would be just as comedic as the original.

It kind of feels like you sought out a negative review that fit with what you "knew" it would be. THR and Variety talk positively about the film's humor.