• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the presentation, but I just don't get how she was doing that to purposefully appear "cute" or could it have just been out of a combination of excitement and nervousness.

I really don't know what you get out of denying she was flailing her arms and exaggerating her words and movements to appear cute - like, she herself was doing it.

If she wanted to be serious she wouldn't have done those 'spooky' and 'Mite ne!!' bits.

Oct 25, 2017
Not AAA but a large part of Compile Heart/Idea Factory are women, including the Neptunia developers.
I think I remember someone saying it's the same for Atelier, is that correct?

But yeah, I was more thinking about how rare it is in AAA games, but it's still nice to know of lower budget efforts as well.

My favorite anime director by far is Naoko Yamada, so I definitely want more women directing in games as well.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's like the game dev version of this meme.

s517xu1fnb331.jpg

Why people gotta be weird?

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I agree that she was easily the most wholesome person to walk on stage in all the conferences so far, but...

image.jpg

EDIT: Wait, no, Keanu was easily the most wholesome person to walk on stage so far. How did I forget that?

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ikumi herself embraces the fan appreciation so I really dont see the issue here.
It should be noted that microaggressions like "this asian person is so adorable and wholesome teehee" aren't openly spoken about enough because no one ever "sees the issue." If an asian man was doing the same thing, he wouldn't have garnered the same reaction, if a white man or even a white woman was doing the same thing, they'd likely end up in a crowbcat cringe compilation.

Curious, how often do you refer to men as "wholesome?" 🤔

How often do you even refer to people OTHER than asian women or anime characters as "wholesome?" 🤔

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
This is gross....if you can't see the problem with objectifying and ogling a professional like this then you are the problem.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is gross....if you can't see the problem with objectifying and ogling a professional like this then you are the problem.

Making art of a charismatic person = Oogling a professional

Of course, of course.

We must all be serious professionals here

But we should all remember that if she had just gone out there are revealed the game, none of this would be a thing. People were really drawn to her personable nature and that is also important with these types of game creators...tak fuji was another

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I saw the presentation, but I just don't get how she was doing that to purposefully appear "cute" as opposed to a combination of excitement and nervousness.
I don't think she tried to appear cute, people just think it was charming

Also dear god, don't compare this to Tak Fuji. We felt sorry for that guy being so clueless about how to announce. She did a great job and in an excitable way in spite of the obvious nerves.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Her presentation did have that awkward anime vibe and so I am not surprised this took off. Hopefully, it will die down after the more respectful ones rises to top.

I am not in her shoes and so given she retweeted some, I am going let her be the judge of this entire spectacle.

It's a really problematic issue yea. For another example, you can equate it to African Americans being told that they're "well spoken" or more uncomfortably, when someone asks if they can feel a black person's hair. The infantilization of asian women is a very common thing. And this thread is a pretty clear example.

I consider myself a progressive but man it can be sometimes so egregiously tiresome to be in the know about all of these things all the time tbh.

I found her presentation wholesome and adorable and from the threads you posted it is also evident of what problematic attitudes have being birthed by some and then perpetuated as stereotypes and/or sexualized fetishes resulting in what was once innocent and utterly corrupting it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
She was the most fun part of the conference but the reaction to her is just outright creepy. Sure she's retweeted some of the art but in a industry where female leads are still in the minority, the default reaction shouldn't be "She's cute" and immediately jumping to making fanart. This really doesn't need to be a thread.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's not like it's just guys who were enamoured.

Patricia Hernandez from polygon is all over her

God, I mean, just look at the way Nakamura ended her presentation of GhostWire: Tokyo, which is pictured at the top of this post. Who does that? How could you not fall in love with her? She is the best and I'm buying any game she works on. I'm not the only person who feels this way:

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
She looks cute.
Then again, if the guy that shouted at Keanu 'You're breathtaking' had shouted it at her, what kind of reactions would we have here?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saying that her on-stage disposition was cute shouldn't be some controversial "fetish-y" statement, she was fun and engaging to watch. It wasn't much different than Keanu "you're breathtaking" Reeves' Microsoft appearance.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
While this will obviously get weird, if it hasn't already, I think we are trying to create a problem where there isn't one at the moment. She was very happy and "genki" on stage in a way that was outside the norm for these canned presentations. She has been retweeting the fanart herself, and seemingly is happy about the reaction.

If anything this is very similar to the reactions that Miyamoto gets for acting like a goof on stage. I think people tend to latch on a bit because presenting can be hard, and they find it even more endearing when a it's a non-English speaker trying to convey their work in English even if they struggle.