• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
The fan arts is mostly from women and some are Asians and Nakamura likes them.

ERA:

giphy.gif

It's extremely judgmental. Just let her live her life.

Oct 27, 2017
I came in to this thread expecting to see people celebrating someone who was fun and endearing on stage last night and instead I was shamed for thinking someone was fun and endearing on stage last night.
Your mistake was assuming the former was possible on ERA, where people try desperately hard to find the bad in everything

Also it's weird how this thread keeps calling out pervs/neckbeards when 3/4 of the pictures in the OP are fanart drawn by female artists...

Or that people are pretending Miyamoto, Kojima and Sakurai don't have fanart of them.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I have no problem with Nakamura's presentation. I mainly just asked about Tak Fuji because I was legit curious if there was Tak Fuji fan art. I honestly think if he had that conference yesterday there would be fan art of it.

Oh, didn't mean to suggest that you did. I just quoted you because I think the Tak comparison was on point.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
A different form of demeaning yea but not in the same way.

Somehow I doubt she'll ever get that status even if she creates a GOAT game. I mean, just look at how the community has treated and referred to Jade Raymond after all the large IPs she's worked on. A lot of discussion always goes back to her appearance.
You're treating this NYT opinion piece as if it's some kind of profound truth, different people interpret their surroundings in different ways, the world isn't so simple that you can just label any situation a problem whenever you think it fits into some sort of negative pattern.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit to commenting on her cuteness, but she didn't become Shinji Mikami's under study just by being cute. I do hate how women get stereotyped like this.
Of course she didn't and I have already seen tons of people recognizing her participation in games like TEW, Bayonetta and others on twitter.

The fact here is, her personality and charm shined through on that presentation, and that is what people stuck on to.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of times almost every day that I look at my 30 year old girlfriend and think how adorable or cute she is can not be counted
Adults can be cute. We are all just bigger children.

Your 30 year old girlfriend who you are in a relationship with is different from a working professional showing off her project.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the whole "drawing fanart of devs" things is a little cringe but please, mostly of the people who make those(and for this person) are just your enthusiast tumblr/ twitter kids who mean no harm, not some creepy pervs. This,Yarny guy,Miyamoto,etc.

If you are so bothered by them go an confront those people on their twitters.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I can understand why some people would find the reception to her somewhat wearisome because of all the issues with how asian women are perceived/patronized in their line of work, but I also understand people finding her charismatic and charming and wanting to celebrate her in some way bc of it.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also I know Era likes to treat borderline EVERYTHING as a mutually exclusive concept what with how often every objectification thread has at least one not very bright and/or disingenuous person bringing up video game violence. But her enjoying a lot of the (non creepy) fanart and this being yet another example of asian fetishism in the gaming community aren't mutually exclusive concepts. 👍

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
A different form of demeaning yea but not in the same way.

Somehow I doubt she'll ever get that status even if she creates a GOAT game. I mean, just look at how the community has treated and referred to Jade Raymond after all the large IPs she's worked on. A lot of discussion always goes back to her appearance.
Now this is something I want to be very clear on - I get the concerns and that definitely shouldn't be done in a workplace where someone is trying to seriously display themselves or work professionally. Now taking that concern to this specific instance feels very out of place though, because of how she presented herself and in that, people felt uplifted and enjoyed her stage presence and some mannerisms she did display like exaggerated posing does evoke that sense. So why does such an important issue need to be placed here where Its just people admiring/appreciating someone who displayed herself very charismastically onstage (hope I'm able to get my point across).

The second thing is looking up the games that person has made, I really wouldn't say most would consider them GOATs in any sense, you might and that's fine feeling like a creator you enjoy deserves more recognition.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, didn't mean to suggest that you did. I just quoted you because I think the Tak comparison was on point.
Oh ok. Sometimes I don't even know if I'm on point or not.
Of course she didn't and I have already seen tons of people recognizing her participation in games like TEW, Bayonetta and others on twitter.

The fact here is, her personality and charm shined through on that presentation, and that is what people stuck on to.
Being personable and charming during a public marketing performance is definitely something you need in a good leader though. So there's nothing wrong with this.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Now this is something I want to be very clear on - I get the concerns and that definitely shouldn't be done in a workplace where someone is trying to seriously display themselves or work professionally. Now taking that concern to this specific instance feels very out of place though, because of how she presented herself and in that, people felt uplifted and enjoyed her stage presence and some mannerisms she did display like exaggerated posing does evoke that sense. So why does such an important issue need to be placed here where Its just people admiring/appreciating someone who displayed herself very charismastically onstage (hope I'm able to get my point across).
I brought it up because it's a pretty blatant example? Even if it's well intentioned.

The second thing is looking up the games that person has made, I really wouldn't say most would consider them GOATs in any sense, you might and that's fine feeling like a creator you enjoy deserves more recognition.
Oh I don't consider her projects to be GOATs, that wasn't the point I was making.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not implying anything, just posting a tweet

I'll definitely be there day one, that trailer was AMAZING. And I'm usually not a huge fan of CGI trailers.

Super hyped to finally see her in a directorial role. A lot of folks were confused when Johanas became director instead of her, but as someone who LOVED The Evil WIthin 2, her debut being a brand new IP will be for the best, I think. Tango always did amazing visual design in their game, I can only imagine how cool a game directed by their lead artist can look.

I hope we get a bunch of interviews this week to get a feel for the game.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly good for her if she's building a cult of personality around her. If the game ends up being good, we'll have another iconic, instantly recognizeable female dev in the industry. I don't see the problem.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also I know Era likes to treat borderline EVERYTHING as a mutually exclusive concept what with how often every objectification thread has at least one not very bright and/or disingenuous person bringing up video game violence. But her enjoying a lot of the (non creepy) fanart and this being yet another example of asian fetishism in the gaming community aren't mutually exclusive concepts. 👍

Even when some of the fanart comes from asian artists? I feel like there always has to be a problem with everything even when the rest of the internet only celebrates this as positive moment.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Who in here is even attacking her? There's a valid discussion to be had about how people treat female devs and it's kind of uncomfortable that people are portraying anyone who thinks this is a tad weird as being "too woke" or "joyless chuds".

It's uncomfortable being portrayed as a horndog who doesn't respect her because I thought she was cute.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Some of these are......well.

This isnt the same Art director from The Evil Within is it?

I guess the presentation was endearing enough it spawned this "fan art".