• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Haha this is amazing. She must be a true collaborator to be able to be this blunt with her boss. Really looking forward to seeing what exactly ghost wire is.

She must be incredibly, incredibly good at her job. In most corporate cultures, but especially Japanese corporate culture, you do not undermine the boss in public like this unless you've got some fucking clout. What other games has she worked on? This week is the first time I've ever heard of her.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I once accused another member of virtue signaling and got a week ban before being called alt right scum, didn't realize that phrase had such a strong connotation.
Because it's used primarily by alt-right/GG figures, (and their i'm not racist BUT allies), to downplay ANY sort of discussion that points out problematic things. It's about as useful for discussion as calling someone an SJW.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
she better lose that fandom before RULE34

OR develop a cult following where she can do no wrong and ensure future success for herself!

She must be incredibly, incredibly good at her job. In most corporate cultures, but especially Japanese corporate culture, you do not undermine the boss in public like this unless you've got some fucking clout. What other games has she worked on? This week is the first time I've ever heard of her.

For sure. This lady is devilishly smart and knows what's she's doing.
I bet you she's all, "ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAU" right now and Mikami must be proud of his sith voice 'apprentice"

Oct 25, 2017
Okami and Bayonetta.

Has been appointed by Mikami in 2013 as one of three possible game directors to succeed him at Tango.

This game will be amazing, I'm feeling it.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Exactly. It's just...weird. Male industry professionals almost never get this kind of attention heaped on them, it's almost exclusively centered around women.

I hate to point back at my post again but we had the exact same reaction to Unravel Dev when he came up and was nervous and with the reaction to Davide Soliani. It's also discounting a lot of female artists who have made art of her because they like her as well and/or look up to her.

I think we have an issue of polar extremes in this thread.

Either you're a fetishist who creeps on a woman because of her racial background or you're "just appreciating her for her charm and cuteness".

Yeah I agree. I feel the discussion is just going to go even more toxic as it goes on. Shame because she deserves the attention/respect of the community for the amount of amazing projects she's worked on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Okami and Bayonetta.

Has been appointed by Mikami in 2013 as one of three possible game directors to succeed him at Tango.

This game will be amazing, I'm feeling it.

Cool cool. She's been at this for a while, then. I hope the game turns out good. Bring on some gameplay, Tango! I have a lot of problems with TEW2 but I'm not willing to write them off as a studio yet.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
that's not what i meant

Oh sorry lol

I basically mean unless you feel threatened somehow, letting nerds salivate over you could be advantageous.

EDIT:

I'll take this in another direction.
My mom says Nakamura is very cute and "bubbly", she doesn't know her work but appreciated her enthusiasm and presentation style. Is that ok?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Yeah I think it might be best to just lock it at this point. I feel the discussion is just going to go even more toxic as it goes on. Shame because she deserves the attention/respect of the community for the amount of amazing projects she's worked on.
It definitely escalated now. I guess I can't blame it considering the way it is framed with the title, honestly, as much as I understood the reference and that the inention is not out of malice.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to point back at my post again but we had the exact same reaction to Unravel Dev when he came up and was nervous and with the reaction to Davide Soliani. It's also discounting a lot of female artists who have made art of her because they like her as well and/or look up to her.

I have absolutely no problem with female artists being inspired by her and wanting to pay tribute to someone they think is super awesome. That's great! I'm just always uncomfortable when a bunch of guys start falling over themselves and using words like "cute" to describe a working professional who's doing a really important job on a game like she's some kind of music video idol.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Because it's used primarily by alt-right/GG figures, (and their i'm not racist BUT allies), to downplay ANY sort of discussion that points out problematic things. It's about as useful for discussion as calling someone an SJW.
I pretty much agree, it was not a good way to make my point, nor would I ever want to associate myself with alt-right imbeciles. It's better to make a clear and genuine argument than to stifle conversation by tossing out one-liners.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Do you want me to have a problem with it even though the person themselves does not?

So I am not allowed to say, "Scarlet Johansson is pretty?"

There's a difference between her enjoying the fanart and you getting smug and repeatedly posting about how you can and should be able to talk about what you think of women's appearances

And for record, Scarlet Johansson has numerous times expressed displeasure at people talking about her appearance to her in interviews. But she is not the woman this topic about and they don't share the same opinion.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
I thought her presentation part was a cute moment in the conference, as someone pointed out Keanu's was as well. Most of what happens at the conferences is super boring. But I'm also not obsessing over it, I do want to play the game.

Discussion guidelines

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Please keep this conversation civil and tasteful. Nakamura herself is fine with the fanarts and enjoys them. This does not give you license to belittle other members expressing their concerns about sexism or the fetishization of Asian women, whether in the industry or in general. Please avoid mocking or sarcastic drive-by posts to this effect.

Moving forwards, any users that continue this behaviour may be subject to moderation. Thank you.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have absolutely no problem with female artists being inspired by her and wanting to pay tribute to someone they think is super awesome. That's great! I'm just always uncomfortable when a bunch of guys start falling over themselves and using words like "cute" to describe a working professional who's doing a really important job on a game like she's some kind of music video idol.
But it's not like she gave some dry business presentation. Some of her mannerisms on stage were actually quite similar to a music idol

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese corporate culture (I'm an expert), but undermining and clout are huge parts of it.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's a difference between her enjoying the fanart and you getting smug and repeatedly posting about how you can and should be able to talk about what you think of women's appearances.

I'm sorry I'm getting confused here.
Why am I not allowed to comment on a woman's appearance?

But it's not like she gave some dry business presentation. Some of her mannerisms on stage were actually quite similar to a music idol

EXACTLY!! She was exaggerating herself to make an impression! Again, all a method of marketing yourself

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Okami, Bayo and Evil Within. Artist roles on all 3. She's creative director for Ghostwire.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Also, Nakamura san doesnt take shit from anybody:

lmao amazing. Reminds me of when Shimomura roasted Nomura for wanting to make a musical game.

Sg2i5ym.png

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I pretty much agree, it was not a good way to make my point, nor would I ever want to associate myself with alt-right imbeciles. It's better to make a clear and genuine argument than to stifle conversation by tossing out one-liners.
Yea ofc.

"Wow you're virtue signaling"

=

"Virtue signaling exists and every time a person raises a concern about a pattern of behavior/treatment towards POC/women/LBGT/etc. they're just faking concern for internet points"

is one of those easily acceptable arguments for people who are not marginalized to accept, because it's often presented:

"Doesn't it just SUCCCCKKKKKKKKK that people are so SERIOUSSSSSSS ALL THE TIME BROOOOOOOOO, ughhhhhhh"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
lmao amazing. Reminds me of when Shimomura roasted Nomura for wanting to make a musical game.

Sg2i5ym.png

Oh my god I've never seen this. I can just picture Shimomura's face as Nomura goes off on another stupid tangent like this, knowing full well she'd be the one in charge of the music for it.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
She's been somewhat known for a bit now, specifically from the The Evil Within franchise, because Mikami had been talking her up over the years as his successor of sorts. Interestingly she was originally slated to direct Evil Within 2, but it was given to someone else iirc. Presumably it was because she was getting to create this new IP instead.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
She's been somewhat known for a bit now, specifically from the The Evil Within franchise, because Mikami had been talking her up over the years as his successor of sorts. Interestingly she was originally slated to direct Evil Within 2, but it was given to someone else iirc. Presumably it was because she was getting to create this new IP instead.

Cool. This game seems way more conceptually interesting than TEW2 anyway.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Also, Nakamura san doesnt take shit from anybody:

This is so cool, I can't wait to see her have full creative control. Gonna be very special.

Nah.

The fact she is cute is a bonus, people already loved most of her designs and attitude and it's awesome that she gets to be director.

Also completely ignoring the fact that women loved her as much as the men if not more since is a clear inspiration for women working in the industry as you can see on twitter.
And ignoring the fact that she has no issue with what's going on, which is what matters really instead of how people feel like it's offensive.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Honestly, the sheer amount of people obnoxiously spouting "ew, people are gonna get creepy and sexualize her" pisses me off more than anything. Could you just...shut up, please? No one's done that. No one's bringing attention to that. No one wants to see that or even think of that. You're putting that shit into people's heads. All of this fanart has been wholesome, fun shit. Why do you have to try to ruin that? If creepy weird shit pops up, then yeah, shame that shit, ban them, report them. But you're the only ones bringing that up. It's like seeing a retail store clerk and telling people "hey, nobody better think about this person sexually". People are trying to show appreciation of a charismatic female director. Stop inventing an issue that hasn't arisen and trying to make everyone uncomfortable. You're being gross.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
She was a breath of fresh air. Some of her past interviews started popping up afterwards, and I love this particular snippet so much:

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is so cool, I can't wait to see her have full creative control. Gonna be very special.

Nah.

The fact she is cute is a bonus, people already loved most of her designs and attitude and it's awesome that she gets to be director.

Also completely ignoring the fact that women loved her as much as the men if not more since is a clear inspiration for women working in the industry as you can see on twitter.
And ignoring the fact that she has no issue with what's going on, which is what matters really instead of how people feel like it's offensive.

At times I feel people WANT to feel offended so that they can feel better about themselves.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I wonder what studio culture at Tango is like. Seems like great company to me, and they joke around a lot, including Mikami himself.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
E3 is full of corporate people that all act and behave the same. People like her are fun. Bethesda's show was terrible and she really shined in all its blandness. Stuff like the older interviews with Mikami just reinforce that she's an amazing person. Honestly, I hope more people like her were at E3 presenting their games.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
A: What does this have to do with anything?
B:
D8tho0WUYAARfId.jpg

It was a joke, baby.
Alright, I guess I misjudged that xd

Cool poster btw. Keanu and her were definitely the stars of E3. Very surprising to have such a personality-presence with Kojima being far away. Hopefully Doug Bowser of Nintendo is next in line? :3