• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
She's canceled for fetishizing Asian women.

Gonna cancel a lot of people

95d6c6f8018b112bd76531bf01a8197e.png

She has a huge following of women who see her as inspiration now because of how passionate she is and the fact that she is a big creative lead. (Which is extremely rare this E3...)

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
In my country, it's super offensive to be offended on behalf of others. I don't get how you're setting your gears to this speed and cruising at this altitude, but hey, I don't understand the West that well, must be a First World thing to grab command of social concern like this, quite the privilege.
I guess it's a way to contextualise "speak for yourself, not for others".

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): unprovoked personal attacks against another member
Why are people describing her like if she's a puppy?
See OP's description with words like "wholesome" and "enthusiastic." Fits into an insecure male gaze of preferring a sexually non-threatening woman. It's revealing (and confirms troubling examples of chauvinistic behavior) that other female presenters rarely get such treatment or discussion.

Chariot

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg
Gotta love "male feminists" like Eden who speak for women, these dudes are creeps lol.
Eden: "These fanarts diminish Asian women!"

Ikumi Nakamura: "I quite like these fanarts."

Eden: "Shut up, I am talking."

It's important to give women and minorities a voice. Shutting them up and trying to talk for them, even in defence, is diminishing their value as human beings. Eden is belittling Ikumi Nakamura and other Asian women by denying them to be cute because they think that because it's, in their opinion, put onto them, they couldn't possibly enjoy being cute. Eden may not notice it, but they are infantilizing Asian women by ignoring their opinion.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
She was great - loved her enthusiasm. Her and Keanu were the best parts of E3 so far IMO. Just a lot of warmth and genuine excitement coming from both of them while on stage.

Chariot

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg
glad she's liking the fanarts, seeing a bunch myself on twitter already, is always amazing to see how fast people draw stuff lol
Surprises me every time when I watch an episode of a show and before the episode ends everything is already full with fanart. I am also pretty sure that I sometimes close Pokemon announcements and it's like it already ended months ago, with everyone having drawn new Pokemon within like 30 seconds.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the sheer amount of people obnoxiously spouting "ew, people are gonna get creepy and sexualize her" pisses me off more than anything. Could you just...shut up, please? No one's done that. No one's bringing attention to that. No one wants to see that or even think of that. You're putting that shit into people's heads. All of this fanart has been wholesome, fun shit. Why do you have to try to ruin that? If creepy weird shit pops up, then yeah, shame that shit, ban them, report them. But you're the only ones bringing that up. It's like seeing a retail store clerk and telling people "hey, nobody better think about this person sexually". People are trying to show appreciation of a charismatic female director. Stop inventing an issue that hasn't arisen and trying to make everyone uncomfortable. You're being gross.
That first page is disgusting. But yeah pretty much word by word what you said. Like i didn't even think of anything weird until these fuckwits put it in my head. Era's gonna Era

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Damn, some of you really go too far in trying to control what people can say or do...

Yeah there's creep everywhere, doesn't mean it's everyone cases... let people enjoy things and be wholesome, don't ruin this!

Ikumi seems amazing, and she genuinely was cute during her presentation, nothing wrong with that!

Really curious to see what she can do especially considering what she's worked on before! It's great to see a female director especially coming from japan, i don't think it was ever the case aside for some really small games

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bossking You make some fair points, but you take it too far. Don't call people "gross". People are not bringing up the fetishism aspect out of thin air. It's precisely because it happens all the time that people bring up their concerns.

Please review the staff post. Thank you.

So, wait, "gross" crosses the line when its being directed at the dozens of posters who are tripping over themselves to make wild accusations about the people admiring her all just being creepy neckbeard gamer goons who are too thirsty?

For my anecdote: I'm here at E3 with a group of industry folks from Japan. Ikumi was a huge topic of last night's dinner and the women at the table absolutely loved her and couldn't stop calling her cute and finding new fan art on Twitter to show to everyone. None of them even know her personally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
galvenize

galvenize

Oct 25, 2017
See OP's description with words like "wholesome" and "enthusiastic." Fits into an insecure male gaze of preferring a sexually non-threatening woman. It's revealing (and confirms troubling examples of chauvinistic behavior) that other female presenters rarely get such treatment or discussion.

I think I've just been called an insecure and chauvinistic man for saying a person was being wholesome and enthusiastic.

You people are legitimately scaring me.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I mean. She's retweeting it herself. I understand where some of ya'll are coming from, but let her have her fun.

Edit: she looks to be enjoying it a lot actually don't get some of you guys having try and "defend" her.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gotta love "male feminists" like X who speak for women, these dudes are creeps lol.

X: "These fanarts diminish Asian women!"

Ikumi Nakamura: "I quite like these fanarts."

X: "Shut up, I am talking."

Edited out the name because I don't want to call anyone in particular out, but men talking on behalf of women (even when what the actual women is saying runs contrary to what they're saying) is something I've noticed happening a lot and it is a real problem, and definitely something that makes actual discussion more difficult

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think you have some issues. Way to go calling someone a chauvinist for describing someone else as "enthusastic"

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy for her, the game looks cool and she seems overjoyed with the reception.

Also, so many creeps on this forum saying how she should feel. Holy shit. You are guys are fucking scary.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this segment right now and props to her for a fun presentation and the game looks great

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, admittedly, I found her presence charming and cute because rarely is there a person that genuine on stage(Like the Wolfenstein presenter, who was a cute dude as well), and after finding out Johanes was the director of EW2 over her, this was actually really nice to hear.

I want more women to be in higher positions and always celebrate when they get it, but I don't think this craze correlates with that lmao, people need to keep it in their pants sometimes.

Are you telling me that the gaming community has a major issue with asian fetishisim?
giphy.gif
Its always either "real women arent as hot as anime women" or "Japanese women are better than our women" And they're both insufferable

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes - people so quickly want to assume that a person acting cute (and doing so purposefully) is being fetishized rather than just recognized?

She purposefully acted cute there, and she isn't a bad looking person. What's wrong with calling a cute person cute?

It's not like people (so far) are being creepy with "Uguuu Japanese people are so kawaii desu I'm gonna make her Mai waifu!!"

(... At least not that I've seen yet.)
People on twitter have actually started to call her a waifu, yes.

Salsanta1373

Apr 6, 2019
Your criticisms about being wholesome and enthusiastic is ether wrong or depressing. What is wrong with being these things, a couple of years ago we had the the Yarny guy who was genuine, the beyond good and evil guy who was starting to tear up, heck this year we had Keanu Reeves and YEAH guy being wholesome and enthusiastic. What wrong with Ikumi acting this way, is because she is a women and have to act a certain way and cant act you know, human. Have we gotten so used to E3 presenters with there full suits and there "CEO" hands that we forgotten there human as well. This was a human moment that stood out because it was a human moment and not Corporate sales pitch.
Edit: I relooked up the Yarny guy just after posting this, he was shaking as he showed the world a Yarny doll he made himself, had articles about him, and even fanart, but if a women just does poses and is happy and enthusiastic its bad.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another example of how this forum have an unhealty relationship with women.

I'm glad lot of user are tired of thread ending in an artificial controversy by someone who clearly show a limited vision of things but at the same time put lot of effort to be the voice of this or that problem.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
yea loved watching her on stage she had tons of energy and charisma. Will probably stick to twitter though when it comes to sharing cute art if find if her though. Cause this thread derailed hard lol.

Also if y'all curious the best fan art is most certainly the one by the guy that can't draw and just drew a stick figure haha.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Fans like her, draw fanart of her, and compliment her for her presentation and game.

Ikumi: This is really cool I like this. Thanks all.

Resetera: This is really creepy you all should stop.

Me: ???

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bossking You make some fair points, but you take it too far. Don't call people "gross". People are not bringing up the fetishism aspect out of thin air. It's precisely because it happens all the time that people bring up their concerns.

Please review the staff post. Thank you.

Is it Bossking that took things too far?

Why is it okay to call people who are enjoying cute or funny fanarts as creepy, infantile, fetishistic. (I will not quote the posts as this might be interpreted as a personal attack).

Yet it is not okay to call those people gross for bringing up fetishes in an otherwise wholesome thread? (in my opinion it is wholesome, I did ask why people thought it was fetishistic but unfortunately didn't get a response. I'm open to changing my mind if my perspective was limited)

If the second person is in the wrong, why isn't the first person also?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Is it Bossking that took things too far?

Why is it okay to call people who are enjoying cute or funny fanarts as creepy, infantile, fetishistic. (I will not quote the posts as this might be interpreted as a personal attack).

Yet it is not okay to call those people gross for bringing up fetishes in an otherwise wholesome thread?

If the second person is in the wrong, why isn't the first person also?
Personal attacks directed at other members are not allowed and we have moderated posts for both in this thread. If you have further questions, please send me a PM instead of continuing this meta-discussion. Thanks.

Hearts&Stars

Banned
Feb 18, 2019
Sometimes I can't tell if this forum is a genuine game discussion board or some sort Land Over Baptist LARP being carried out by some image board users. Hard to tell anymore. Personally I think this thread is being populated by people mad that Ikumi isn't the subject of some toxic controversial game conspiracy, or being met with death threats or spam pics of men's genitals just for her mere presence.