• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the sort of thing that can have a creepy side to it, but I don't think everyone making fan arts are specifically creepy. This is not on the same level, but I have a few very feverish fans of the small games I've made, I use my "Face" avatar you see here on Era everywhere, which is sorta' the "face" I use online and my own creation. And as a result, I've received several dozen pieces of art from fans with unique takes on my avatar character.

Now, it's a bit different maybe when it's a real person, but I've observed the same sorta' thing happening with big YouTubers, like PewDiePie and Markiplier. I think there's many who use it as a level of endearment towards a person, and not precisely in a creepy way. The problem comes when certain artists can blur the line and fetishize someone, which is worse when it's a real person public figure.

Being in a position, I think it's a bit up to how the person feels. I've received a few fan weird things involving some of the characters in my games even as a small creator, but I'm not personally offended by it or take it badly even if I also don't approve of it. Ikumi used to post a series of comics on the Tango Gameworks site (I was really excited for the original The Evil Within game, and followed it very closely), and my impression of her is she's got a good sense of humor and a fairly twisted side as she's a pretty big fan of horror and morbidity. Not to speak for her, but I think people who are a bit more intrigued by morbidity and twistedness are more open to stranger things overall. That said, that okayness also doesn't mean permission, and everyone has their individual lines that can be crossed where things begin to go from nice, to a bit weird but okay, to uncomfortable.

I'm really happy she has taken off well, and if things go well I can see her becoming an excellent face at Tango and for Japanese developers, which honestly would be great, she's talented and quite a visionary as shown already through her works on Okami, Bayonetta, and the two Evil Within games (and her concept art pieces if you look into it are fantastic, she's got a great eye for unique stylish designs and expressive composure). But unfortunately there is a truth of potential fetishization due to there being so few prominent female directors to begin with, let alone people who are female and Asian. We need more people like Ikumi, but there's going to be an uphill battle here, and I think it's important to talk about this. I do think Ikumi is a strong enough person that she can take a few people being fucked up, but I also think as with any creative face it's also important to both treat them as human and respect their boundaries. The fan art is not a boundary for her as she's demonstrated, but I'm pretty sure most people don't want to be dehumanized by fetishization. But, fan art =/= fetishization either. So I think this is okay as long as she's okay with it, and it can be endearing to receive art from people who mean well and just were inspired by you or something you did.

These are just my thoughts, but wanted to express it. I hope I managed to say everything since I have this gut feeling I'm missing something I should include with this. But my main thoughts right now is I'm very happy she got to direct her own project and even new IP idea, and I'm really looking forward to seeing gameplay from it. The CG Trailer more than any other CG trailer I've seen at this E3 interested me with its motifs, art direction, and stylizing.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I do not understand that 4 pic shot people keep laughing at. It's way over my head./

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
I fail to see the problem with the art and also where sexism or fetishism comes into play with any of this thread's topic. She was an enthusiastic character who clearly had fun presenting their game and loves the fanart of her. Don't even know how an innocent thread topic came to this

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I do not understand that 4 pic shot people keep laughing at. It's way over my head./
lossminimal.jpg

Nekrono

May 17, 2018
She was very charming and brought a breath of fresh air to that god awful conference but I have to say this does seem a bit weird and creepy when you think about it. At least it has the potential or turning south real quick since it's the internet.

Oct 25, 2017
i assume people have already posted the Shannon Strucci "Parasocial Relationships" video, but i might as well do so just in case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLA-uFKjQ-g

it is possible to both enjoy individual fun creator-fan interactions and also recognize that, woah, there's some wider negative social context that people should be cognizant of

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I genuinely feel this is Era expecting the worse from a situation that has no major negativity going on. Its like some people feel like they should be upset when nothing bad is actually going on.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring modpost, derail
Also i'm shocked people were mostly okay with Crossing Eden's "there's no such thing as nuance, everything surrounding Ikumi's hype is bad" posts when they were infamously known for being an ardent DSP defender who constantly tried to argue in favor of "nuance"

It's this unpleasant mix of hypocrisy and spite.

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I genuinely feel this is Era expecting the worse from a situation that has no major negativity going on. Its like some people feel like they should be upset when nothing bad is actually going on.
At best its a passing fad. Remember shy dude at EA's conference? He stood out and I believe he got fanart.

3c29b2ba1302c0cfba5523d3db2f564f.png

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also i'm shocked people were mostly okay with Crossing Eden's "there's no such thing as nuance, everything surrounding Ikumi's hype is bad" posts when they were infamously known for being an ardent DSP defender who constantly tried to argue in favor of "nuance"

Y'all should be like me. Just him on ignore and be done with it. Ain't got the time nor patience to give that fool the time of day.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At best its a passing fad. Remember shy dude at EA's conference? He stood out and I believe he got fanart.

3c29b2ba1302c0cfba5523d3db2f564f.png
The reason why he stood out was because he felt human and genuinely happy about his game. I thought he was adorable and i saw all the memes and video edits of his. Just like Ikumi felt different and real.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all should be like me. Just him on ignore and be done with it. Ain't got the time nor patience to give that fool the time of day.

Ignoring him doesn't really fix the issue of him needlessly escalating threads. People constantly use him as a springboard to dump on ResetEra for being "mindlessly woke" as a whole, and it's such a bad look when this thread itself shows that's not the case.

Christ

Oct 25, 2017

so much for the marketplace of ideas!

jk

actually i agree, an important part of participating in the Online space is curating your content - and while it is important to expose yourself to differing views, if you find an individual person particularly inflammatory it is fine to not look at their content :)

glad we're all learning a bunch of valuable lessons that can be applied in other contexts

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

DSP as in DarkSydePhil???? that goon??

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I love it. I didn't know much about her before but looking back at the work she did on TEW1, she honestly came up with most of the best stuff in that game. I hope she nails it as the director of Ghostwire because having a great female game director with that much stage presence would do a lot of good.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I thought she was pretty funny.
I personally don't use the word cute for any adult though.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Another Natalia Poklonskaya situation, eh?

I guess I can see why some might find such fanart weird/creepy, but I personally don't see the harm in it. At least the SFW art, anyway... when it veers into NSFW territory, it starts to become morally questionable.

Last edited:

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Please keep this conversation civil and tasteful. Nakamura herself is fine with the fanarts and enjoys them. This does not give you license to belittle other members expressing their concerns about sexism or the fetishization of Asian women, whether in the industry or in general. Please avoid mocking or sarcastic drive-by posts to this effect.

Moving forwards, any users that continue this behaviour may be subject to moderation. Thank you.
Genuine question: is it only okay because Nakamura herself retweeted them? Not mod-whining, but I am curious if that was the deciding factor.
Because even without her retweets, many (I believe most) of the people here who said she was cute/wholesome did so solely because of the way she happened to be presenting. Obviously I don't want to dismiss concerns about sexism and fetishization by any means, but for so many posters to jump on comments like these and immediately assuming the worst and accusing them of being sexist and/or racist is wrong. Even if she had not retweeted anything.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, if she was a black woman I doubt there would be much fascination. This is the unfortunate reality we live in. I thought Aisha Tyler did a great job when she presented for Ubisoft and she definitely was outgoing and had some adorable moments.
E3 is legitimately a poorer event without Aisha. For a couple of years she was the only thing worth a damn at Ubi's press conferences.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How this can be seen as anything other than deeply creepy and disturbing on such a progressive site is beyond me

Oct 25, 2017
i think it's fine for people to point out the intersection between the general issue of parasocial relationships online and the general issue of the infantilization of Asian women

i still enjoy watching streamers despite recognizing that forming parasocial bonds with online performers can lead to uncomfortable situations! and so i can still enjoy this presentation by someone very cool while also recognizing some of the social context behind the more unpleasant reactions

and i have in general noticed that when the topic of Asian fetishization comes up online, people are very defensive and jump to making wild claims about people being against interracial relationships just for pointing out an uncomfortable dynamic in certain circles

Addendum to discussion guidelines

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
In case it was not clear already from the posts we have banned, drive-bys and trolling in any direction are not allowed here. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Unprovoked accusations against other members
  • Mocking "anime avatars"
  • Attempting to inflame the discussion without contributing anything to it
Again, please help keep this conversation civil and tasteful. Thanks!

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would probably have chosen another thread title since this one is originally associated to Overwatch and NSFW fanart, but there really isn't anything wrong with people appreciating Nakamura's awesomeness.

If you're preemptively calling creepy you're the one that's making things awkward tbh.
This is associated with splatoon, thats what started the meme

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
Her presentation legit brightened my day. I'm a lot less bummed about no Reggie at e3 after seeing her enthusiasm.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Man I just wish I could enjoy a pure genuine moment but for some reason this has caused a shit storm on this site for whatever reason.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
All it takes is for someone to show some genuine enthusiasm instead of being a boring corporate suit. She was the only human in that conference. People were also excited about keanu for acting like a real person.