• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
All it takes is for someone to show some genuine enthusiasm instead of being a boring corporate suit. She was the only human in that conference. People were also excited about keanu for acting like a real person.
devolver digital's conferences always manage to have it's figurative finger on the pulse of game industry trends as they happen

i really hope marketing execs realize that people are responding well to how GENUINE they are being and don't try to force these sort of moments to happen, like the devolver conference parodied

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I'm Japanese and people in Japan draw cute little pictures of everyone from themselves to their neighbor's dog like that.

There's really nothing creepy about it, and I find it surprising that people find it creepy.

My avatar is creepier lol.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I'm Japanese and people in Japan draw cute little pictures of everyone from themselves to their neighbor's dog like that.

There's really nothing creepy about it, and I find it surprising that people find it creepy.

My avatar is creepier lol.
I'm Asian, and honestly, I find the negative reactions very alienating and weird. She was very positive and charismatic, so the mostly downer tone of this thread is kind of jarring.

Whatever, I'm getting used to it.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, since this thread has gone into the diretion has gone, is there any subreddit, tumblr, twiitter handle that is actually sharing the fan art?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I enjoyed her energy so much during her presentation, she was passionate, endearing, and definitely refreshing. I love how people related to those feelings to the point they wanna make fanarts of her, and I love that she enjoys those fanarts, and enjoy the love that she's receiving. Her case reminds me a lot of the Unravel's game dev, which was equally as endearing and precious in my mind.

Now, is there some room for it to become creepy? Likely, yes. But I have not seen it reach that point yet, but then again I am not Ikumi Nakamura, nor am I an Asian woman, so I'm not sure what that point would look like nor if I am legitimate enough to say so. However, Nakamura herself seems to genuinely enjoy this, so I don't know why I should look down upon it. It would be a whole another story if she didn't though.

Last edited:

BirdUpOnline

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Racism; Account in Junior Phase
Disclaimer: This is a way too hot take I only partially agree with in the first place that's been bugging the hell out of me since yesterday but fuck it I'm gonna shoot from the hip here

Honestly I'm legit surprised nobody's tried to call out Ikumi for basically going the whole hog regarding self orientalization. Like during that whole presentation I was kinda uncomfortable at how she was basically performatively doing all this dumb "kawaii anime bullshit". She's basically playing into all of the stereotypes that that NYT article brought up to make herself a meme and honestly that's kinda fucked up.

(Honestly I'll admit I'm probably way more cynical about everything during that entire Bethesda presentation because everything that wasn't Doom or Youngblood was either a CG trailer with no gameplay (Deathloop and Ghostwire) or a clown car pileup (Fallout 76, Keen Mobile and the rest) but you know what I'm pissed for unrelated reasons and feel like getting into some angry discourse right now tbh)

Last edited:

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
I loved her presentation. Hope to see her again. :)

PeitH1m.jpg

am i doing it right
Oh nooooo.

Chariot

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg
Honestly I'm legit surprised nobody's tried to call out Ikumi for basically going the whole hog regarding self orientalization. Like during that whole presentation I was kinda uncomfortable at how she was basically performatively doing all this dumb "kawaii anime bullshit". She's basically playing into all of the stereotypes that that NYT article brought up to make herself a meme and honestly that's kinda fucked up.
Or maybe... she is just like that? What are your accusations founded on? Where do you take the belief she was faking her personality? Why can't a woman be happy without being accused of delibetately playing into stereotypes?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Disclaimer: This is a way too hot take I only partially agree with in the first place that's been bugging the hell out of me since yesterday but fuck it I'm gonna shoot from the hip here

(Honestly I'll admit I'm probably way more cynical about everything during that entire Bethesda presentation because everything that wasn't Doom or Youngblood was either a CG trailer with no gameplay (Deathloop and Ghostwire) or a clown car pileup (Fallout 76, Keen Mobile and the rest) but you know what I'm pissed for unrelated reasons and feel like getting into some angry discourse right now tbh)
She just seemed expressive, when visiting Japan I've seen people do some similar stuff when just having fun. Hell even outside of JP I know expressive people that like to move around and be fun. I think you are looking WAY too into that and imo seems kinda offensive to her to assume she was trying to do "Kawaii anime bullshit"

BirdUpOnline

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
It's an E3 press conference designed to get you to buy shit.

Call me cynical but honestly I'd say the same shit more or less applies to the Unravel guy too.

BirdUpOnline

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
Or maybe... she is just like that? What are your accusations founded on? Where do you take the belief she was faking her personality? Why can't a woman be happy without being accused of delibetately playing into stereotypes?
She just seemed expressive, when visiting Japan I've seen people do some similar stuff when just having fun. Hell even outside of JP I know expressive people that like to move around and be fun. I think you are looking WAY too into that and imo seems kinda offensive to her to assume she was trying to do "Kawaii anime bullshit"

It's an E3 press conference designed to get you to buy shit.

Call me cynical but honestly I'd say the same shit more or less applies to the Unravel guy too.

yeah that last post was supposed to be a response to those posts, sorry about that. Nothing about E3 isn't pure marketing material and in an era of post-post-ironic brand Twitter bullshit it's best to assume that any expression of "enthusiasm" at an E3 press conference is mostly bullshit.

Saori

Avenger
Dec 12, 2018

I think it is fine, as she is doing it by herself. People didn't have the expectations of her doing this "kawaii anime bullshit" as you put it. She probably just did it because she wanted to and there should be nothing wrong with it. My problem comes from people having this weird expectation of this exact behavior. I'm currently studying abroad and I can't count the number of times anymore that people wanted me to do something cutesy, sing some anime song or do some other stuff just because I'm japanese. Not that I'm completely against it, but if I do it then it's my choice and there should be no god damn reason people expect me to do that, yet they do. But again I don't think there is anything wrong with being this kind of expressive by itself. She put a genuine smile on my face, as she clearly seemed excited about her work.

May 13, 2019
You know, I DID get some heavy "acting like a stereotype for the amusement of others" vibes from Nakamura's presentation.

But again, I'm generally wary of those wacky whimsical Willy Wonka acts. I just think they're shallow, fake and ridiculous.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Just gonna pop in real quick to say that I love her fit for that presentation. A-tier blouse, A+ tier glasses. Like, I'm still thinking about those glasses.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
You know, I DID get some heavy "acting like a stereotype for the amusement of others" vibes from Nakamura's presentation.

But again, I'm generally wary of those wacky whimsical Willy Wonka acts. I just think they're shallow, fake and ridiculous.

Sometimes I love this forum, not because of how good it can be, but because of things like this. Y'all are hilarious man. I'm waiting for the person who comes after you guys who will do a play by play explaining her words and actions.

I'm just glad she is sticking to Twitter and doesn't venture over here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't know about the fan art or whatever but like I said in the presentation thread, I really liked her energy and enthusiasm, I think any employer would be real lucky to have someone like that working there. I was disappointed that it wasn't TEW3, but when she started talking her enthusiasm made me see it differently.

Hearts&Stars

Banned
Feb 18, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account
Sometimes I love this forum, not because of how good it can be, but because of things like this. Y'all are hilarious man. I'm waiting for the person who comes after you guys who will do a play by play explaining her words and actions.

I'm just glad she is sticking to Twitter and doesn't venture over here.
Again I feel like this forum is some troll LARP where posters try to outdo one another over who can make the biggest deal out of nothing

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Lady seemed cool as hell, looked like she was having a fun old time and I can't for the life of me see how someone could think she was putting on an uguu show for the benefit of white america. I know it might be a foreign concept around here, but sometimes people are just happy dudes, geez.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When did your life get this cynical. Breh get off the Internet and go for a walk lol Era isn't good for you

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this thread.

Couple of things:

1. The anime posses thing, I personally don't think she was being cynical with it and I think second guessing her is incredibly fucking cynical.

2. People responded to her because she showed her VULNERABILITY. On stage at E3 no less. NO other reason, not because she's attractive (there were other attractive people on stage at E3), not because she's Asian or "anime" and not because of her enthusiasm. Vulnerability always resonates with people, it is the number one reason you like kittens and babies and when you recognize it in another you cannot help but respond. Unless you have a personality disorder that is.

She was great. Good for her. She should celebrate her success.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If you're second guessing her personality maybe y'all should look inside yourselves and ask why certain people can only behave a certain acceptable way to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Are you serious man?

Which is more likely, she's orientalizing herself to be a meme conspiracy or get this it could actually just be her personality, and she's (shock/horror) just being herself

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
1) This is creepy.

2) People can call whoever they want cute, don't be ridiculous.

3) This is really, really creepy and it's only gonna get worse, stop now, oh god please don't do this to a real person, stop you thirsty fucking nerds, you need to chill.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017

Don't be acting energetic or smile during speeches, got it. Thanks for the presentation advice.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of people found Aisha Tyler cringy, like when she got weird with the one Assassin's Creed cosplayer and when she kept trying to make girl wood a thing. I'm not saying I agree, but that's just how most people perceived her.

You're projecting too much the vocal minority. A lot of people didn't like Aisha but I wouldn't state it was most. It didn't even feel like it was 50/50.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't be acting energetic or smile during speeches, got it. Thanks for the presentation advice.
It's a freaking unfair world, we are living right now. Men can be cool, stupid and fun without much consequences. Woman on the other hand have to watch out, that there image doesn't get creepy people into making them here "waifu" and now have an extra layer of ownership about them. As soon as they can't keep up that image, those creeps go crazy and start hurting those woman.
I fucking wish, that she may be one of those exception, since she sounded very interesting in the interviews, but we sadly still life in a world, where woman have to be careful about there public image. Especially if they want to succeed in the tech world.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

my guy, you're going way too far here considering the baselessness of your accusations

tell me where the actual orientalization comes into play: Nakamura being charismatic, self-possessed, expressive, and generally badass, and all this manifesting in a manner that included theatrical gestures...or someone seeing all this, and viewing it as "performatively doing dumb kawaii anime bullshit" that merely played to stereotypes? which one is more othering, more exoticising? which one is minimizing the space for self-expression by arbitrarily creating a line beyond which someone suddenly becomes too "oriental"?

I'm not even sure what "kawaii anime bullshit" you're talking about... as sure as I am in your good intentions, I feel you're a little quick to put whatever eccentricity she showcased in that particular box

BigBluePig

Jul 5, 2018

"Oh no, the Japanese woman acted like a Japanese woman!"

EDIT: To elaborate, I live in Japan. This is how some (not all) Japanese women behave. You are declaring normal behavior a stereotype and belittling her in the process (all this dumb "kawaii anime bullshit") and frankly, I don't think that's ok.

Last edited:

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
I would probably have chosen another thread title since this one is originally associated to Overwatch and NSFW fanart, [...]
To extend on what another poster said, the Overwatch thread was even explicitly referencing the Splatoon thread in the OP by name.
Forgive the link to Neogaf, and the impromptu history trivia:
https://www./threads/splatoon-seems-to-be-developing-quite-the-fan-art-following-already.837761/
https://www./threads/overwatch-has-developed-quite-a-fan-art-following.1219909/
So two years ago, we had a pretty neat thread based on all the awesome Splatoon art that started to pop up all over. Overwatch seems to have similarly taken off...

And yes, both thread had to put reminders not to post anything NSFW...

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

????????????
is this a real post
why can't she just like...be like that in real life. not everyone is boring.

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
An outrage. This is proof that gamers, in fact, do not rise up.

That man made Resident Evil 4.
Logic dictates then that Ghostwire will be even better than Resident Evil 4! :O

You're projecting too much the vocal minority. A lot of people didn't like Aisha but I wouldn't state it was most. It didn't even feel like it was 50/50.
Yeah there's a reason she hosted it several times, unlike, let's say, Jamie Kennedy.