• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
99.99% of the reaction to her has been largely wholesome and non-condescending, with a lot of people learning about her past works. I'm sure there people taking it in a creepy direction but how about waiting until more than a couple are doing actually that?

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
tumblr_inline_pswjpjNvmE1qic1sa_540.png
There was a doggo at E3?

rein

Apr 16, 2018
I think this is something very innocent that can quickly turn not so innocent. I'm glad she's having fun though.

Oct 28, 2017
I think its very heartening to see an older Japanese woman at the head of a company like this. Super impressive stuff for a country like Japan. Of course, not all stereotypes are real, so not every JP company will be like this, but with her and the creative lead on DBFZ being female, its very cool to see.

Both have great attitudes and clearly love what they do.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes - people so quickly want to assume that a person acting cute (and doing so purposefully) is being fetishized rather than just recognized?

She purposefully acted cute there, and she isn't a bad looking person. What's wrong with calling a cute person cute?

It's not like people (so far) are being creepy with "Uguuu Japanese people are so kawaii desu I'm gonna make her Mai waifu!!"

(... At least not that I've seen yet.)

Lmao you didn't read Twitch chat, then.

Like sure, there's nothing inherently wrong with the fan art, but some people here are being willfully blind.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm too old to call anyone over the age of say 6 years old-ish cute and have no waifu tendencies - I liked her energy and attitude. Good job getting up on stage - I'd be fucking shitting myself. People being people - as in we corrupt everything - it always has the potential to go bad. The in good faith fan art I enjoyed though. She was good and I look forward to the game she is working on.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I definitely appreciated having someone one stage who actually seemed legitimately excited for what they were presenting.... but this is creepy. Though I suppose I'm more creeped out by the deluge of "I'd die for her"/"I want to protect her" posts on twitter than the fan art itself.

platypo

Jan 9, 2018
This thread: a celebration of a talented individual being infantilized and reduced to a mascot because she is Japanese, cute and enthusiastic.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
This thread: a celebration of a talented individual being infantilized and reduced to a mascot because she is Japanese, cute and enthusiastic.
We rarely see the kind of enthusiasm at E3 and it was just nice to see someone who was genuinely excited about their product to get on stage. Yeah sure you have some creeps but I honestly think this site has overblown this.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
She had me at S P O O K Y. What can I say? I'm interested in Ghostwire now, lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I honestly find his/her post offensive because it just sounds like they're stripping Nakamura of her own personal agency.

I'm assuming (hoping?) Puck's post is (ill-advised) parody. If he's serious, it's rather disgusting condescension and mansplaining.

Watch them never come back into the thread to clarify either way, though.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was watching via giant bomb, and when she came on you could see all the guys faces pretty much went all starry-eyed and flushed on the spot.

Except for Jeff who held strong with his poker face.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
I went through the entire thread trying to figure out what are these pictures reference to, I gave up 😂. Any help please....

No worries, bruv. It's incredibly obscure unless you've seen it a lot. It's like learning to see Witness puzzles in the environment, hahahaha.

knowyourmeme.com

Loss

Loss, also known as CADbortion, Loss.jpg and | || || |_, is a series of parodies based on a dramatic cartoon strip from the webcomic series Ctrl+Alt+Del in which the female lead suffers a miscarriage, which became a subject of widespread mockery among the readers.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
As if being cute and enthusiastic - or even Japanese - is somehow not a qualified reason to be celebrated. Sure context matters, but you know damn well the internet isn't shy of shitstorming at any given moment, so when more than 100k people thinks she's cute, enthusiastic or Japanese (that's objective though), or whatever reason they have, let's just enjoy that there's very little reason to believe anything is meant with bad intentions, aside from your attempt at spin.

kyoya

Dec 26, 2017
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if she's offered her own show on Netflix by the end of the week: "Making Games With Ikumi". I'd watch it.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Drawing her is pretty weird to me but not surprising at all with the way she acted. You would think she was presenting a Nintendo game with how upbeat she was, haha. I enjoyed it.

StonedRider

Oct 27, 2017
Latvia, Riga
Wow, what a thread!

It reminds me when we've got our new Minister of Economics here several years ago (Daniels Pavluts), almost every woman in my circle told me something like "I do not know how good in economics he is, but he is cute for sure and I support him".

And I absolutely do not have a problem with it.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018

Oh come on now. It was bound to get creepy, of course. But her appearance on stage was adorable and uplifting, and yet I can still respect her a as a talented human being.

platypo

Jan 9, 2018
Asian women in multicultural workplaces are often faced with the problem of being infantilized or inappropriately judged by their appearances, no matter how good they are at their job. Gamer waifu culture is really creepy (the fact that even Nintendo is enabling and monetizing this behavior irks me) especially when it now seems OK to act this way towards real human beings. An equally middle aged woman of any other ethnic background wouldn't have garnered that kind of response from the internet. This is called microaggressions, dehumanizing acts that don't appear that way for most.

I am increasingly concerned for Asian women's safety around the globe because it seems yellow fever has become normalized and is now entrenched in modern societies. What many people consider compliments actually do more bad than good. This is nothing new, but the hallyu wave combined with Japanese media being extremely important in internet culture has changed beauty standards and reinforced prejudiced thought patterns regarding the ways in which we treat women with Asian features.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Nakamura actually has a bunch of her own fan art saved on her phone, to the point where it's filling up said phone.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
E3 is legitimately a poorer event without Aisha. For a couple of years she was the only thing worth a damn at Ubi's press conferences.

Did anybody NOT see Sarah Bond? I'd like to see her more often at Microsoft's E3 in the future.

I loved everything about Ikumi. I could tell she was doing her best to please everybody despite her troubles speaking English.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nakamura actually has a bunch of her own fan art saved on her phone, to the point where it's filling up said phone.

It makes me happy she became so big overnight literally.

I'm sure Bethesda must have realized her and her game were the most positive stuff they got out of their E3 and I hope they'll give her even more time to shine !